Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Word to the wise: in the age of Covid, don't blow out your voice doing a lovely Christian Bale impression while reading 5-Minute Batman Stories to your kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
the sum total of all the bullshit teen drama and problematic behavior these things are going to facilitate over the life of the school is greater than the tragedy of a school shooting

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Another Bill posted:

I have an eight year old who's pissed at me because I won't let her be a twitch Roblox role play streamer. This poo poo happens fast.

Explaining how Winnie the Pooh was inspired by a real bear who lived a long time ago opened a Pandora's Box of existential questions from my four year old.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

of course D&D shat up my thread on it. biggest thing I learned from the thread...

nearly every public gifted program in the country is terrible.

good luck. even literally knowing what you’re getting into, it’s still really really hard.

I was put into a gifted program in Grade 4 and that Greg anecdote was way too familiar. Good read, though, and thank you, because I've never properly considered what that diagnosis might have meant for child-me and what my experience of the world was actually like at the time. I have a conspicuously bad memory; I didn't understand until recently, when I found old report cards in my parents' garage, how much of a stranger that me is to myself. I feel like my life before maybe Grade 11 was scrubbed out of my brain at some point.

I see a lot of this in my son, too, and there are zilch supports in place here for students with that particular kind of need. We're putting him in an immersion program to sop up some of his excess processing power but we'll be doing a lot of skill building at home as well.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

The Silent Scourge posted:

Does that poo poo really matter? Are we dooming our kid to lovely education becuase the elementary school is 4/10? How the gently caress do you deal with this poo poo, it feels like no matter what whatever you do its a crap shoot if the school is actually good or not.

You're playing the odds -- Peer group is one of the most absolutely fundamental influencers in your child's development. Poverty* is what it is. There will be fewer pro-social, academics-oriented children in a school with an impoverished or transient population, and so it will be harder for your kid to make friends with them. This thread can have a giant derail about how there are shitheads in wealthier schools too, and that's right, but we all know which sorts of shithead behaviors are tolerated or rewarded and which sorts are punished and life-ruining in our actually-existing society.

I left a job I loved because I knew firsthand how much of a dumpster fire the elementary school was in that town, and I knew that no matter what we did at home, he was going to be in that environment for the bulk of his waking hours, five days a week.

* It's not just a poverty thing, obvs -- you see this in some rural schools too, for example, where the kids know they're guaranteed rig pig positions or whatever and so academics isn't really relevant to their lives.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I agree 100% and that part you highlighted was hastily written because I wanted to short circuit any accusations of classism or racism. I just find a lot of people are willing to discuss the ravages of poverty in the abstract but they're squeamish about talking about how that manifests socially because they don't want to responsibilize people or blame the victim.

There are lots of good reasons to avoid schools in "bad neighborhoods" that have everything to do with systems and nothing to do with individuals.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

sonatinas posted:

this is my future. my kid already has anxieties about this stuff and to add on top of that I’ve had to tell her numerous times the Sun is not going to go nova in our or anybody else lifetimes for a very long time. we will be gone or off this planet before that happens.

"Don't worry honey, we'll be extinct as a species long before the red giant sun swallows the planet."

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

l have also had this conversation. this is very normal for a gifted kid. here’s another one: does she dislike movies with too much emotional tension or believable protagonist peril (Disney films are good example)?

My sister wanted to take my son to his first movie. He made it through almost all of Jungle Cruise like a champ but then completely lost it when he saw that the magic tree was dead.

Kids rule.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Unrelated but my kid is working her way through some "new math" grouping tv show on Netflix and holy poo poo is this stuff way more accessible than by rote boomer bullshit I was taught. My three year old is actively grasping concepts I struggled with in the second grade.

What's it called?
e. if it's "New Math" then it must not be on Canuck Netflix.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I don't want to reveal too much about my background but if you're going to throw out something as bold as '99% of Ed literature says it's bunk' then you'll have to bring receipts.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
What research?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Commentary Regarding Bui, Craig, and Imberman (2011): Is Gifted Education a Bright Idea? Assessing the Impacts of Gifted and Talented Programs on Achievement. The author is Tonya Moon. The study they're commenting on is also listed, including the authors who published the first one.

(just gonna start listing them)

The Challenges of Achieving Equity Within Public School Gifted and Talented Programs
Peters, Scott J

A Meta-Analysis of Gifted and Talented Identification Practices
Hodges, Jaret ; Tay, Juliana ; Maeda, Yukiko ; Gentry, Marcia

Do Students in Gifted Programs Perform Better? Linking Gifted Program Participation to Achievement and Nonachievement Outcomes
Redding, Christopher ; Grissom, Jason A

Okay, I thought it might be along these lines. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to sneak on to sites like Sage for the full PDFs, but in reading the abstracts I'm noticing that the focus of these articles appears to be on the iniquitous nature of G&T programming, or the process selecting for G&T programming, and not on the concreteness of a G&T diagnosis or the relative need of students carrying that diagnosis. "These resources are better allocated elsewhere" is not the same as "giftedness is hokum."

Tangential questions: Do you believe IQ is "real" at least insofar as it's predictive within the strictures of our actually-existing hellworld? And, what do you think effective Special Education programming achieves, ideally?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
We could probably fight a lot about what "inclusion" means but let's crack a beer and marvel at our kids instead :dukedoge:

My kiddo starts kindergarten in the Fall, which is weird, because I'm pretty sure he was a toddler like last week.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
My four year old led me down a "what are cigarettes? " > "smoking makes you sick and die" > "do people live forever?" > "will you and mama live forever?" rabbit hole and I thought honesty was the best policy but now it's four hours past his bedtime and I'm nursing him through his first existential crisis.

e.
I forgot the inflection point of "people smoke cigarettes because they want to die"
i think this + a sick pet + my finding out his "ghost car" game is inspired by a daycare friend telling him his family died in a car crash = tonight

i'm too loving tired to appreciate how psychedelic this is

unlimited shrimp has issued a correction as of 05:40 on May 6, 2022

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Another Bill posted:

At some point it feels like you're being mean by not letting them do the same things as their peers.
this is my #1 fear
kiddo goes to kindergarten in a few months and I really don't want him to be out of lock-step because I think Paw Patrol sucks

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Good soup! posted:

Had a great time this morning - went to the walking trail by the beach, had brunch (like TRUE LIB) and Little Soup was a joy, waving and saying hi to everyone that passed and obsessing over the doggies. She is now 16-months old and running and climbing and shouting YAY consistently and I have never been more obsessed with anything else in my life
Nice.

We had our first fire of the season and first fire ever for the littlest one. Roasted hot dogs and marshmallows. P. good Sunday.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
My kid was recently bumped up to the 'school age' group at his daycare (different building) without any of his friends, and he also just started little league as the youngest player on his team (ages 4-7). He's really struggling with the transitions. Just general unease at the changes plus he went from being the competent big kid to the novice munchkin in a whole bunch contexts and his little four year old ego is hurting bigtime.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
And a frozen custard for dessert.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Another Bill posted:

2 nights? Buddy, my 2nd kid literally didn't let us sleep through the night for almost 4 years

:shepicide:

Chuckling nervously at the true crime podcast where they decried the mother who put a lock on the outside of her kid's door.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Videogames for a five year old: so good or no good?

Kiddo used to like playing Minecraft on an old & now defunct work tablet. I saw that you can get it on the Switch and my Switch is otherwise collecting dust. I'm trying to thread the needle between giving him common experiences with his peers but also not letting him grow up to become a SomethingAwful forums poster. I'm also wary of starting that instant gratification dopamine drip so young.

I had an NES around age five or six and access to SNES via friends until I got a Genesis around age 8 or thereabouts. I couldn't say if it affected me one way or the other but I don't think I was ever a huge console gamer. Gaming didn't become a problematic escapist thing until my first PC when I was 12ish, and that was tied up with a whole bunch of other lovely life changes.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Gotta do what’s best for your kids.

yeah. don't feel obligated to responsibilize yourself for systemic failures or to sacrifice your kid at the altar of Righteous Politics.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I have an unreasonable amount of anxiety about "first birthday party with friends" and it's happening twice this year.

not Covid-related or anything. Just... general reluctance to host a bunch of strange kids at our house.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

Because once they're in daycare... they're going to catch something!
On a bimonthly basis, yeah. Two kids in daycare means our house is a sanitarium. Third kid starts in January. :unsmigghh:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Microplastics posted:

My 12 month old has started nursery! :dance:

*reads the last two pages*

no :negative:

Woke up to this on the daycare FB group:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
My son wanted to be a pirate and he's been having Spotify play sea shanties for weeks now and I hope I never hear the Wellerman song again so long as I live.

My daughter wanted to be Queen Elsa and she keeps reassuring us that she doesn't want to hurt us with her ice powers.

The baby is a pumpkin because it was on clearance at H&M :shrug:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

sonatinas posted:

does he love Jake and the neverland pirates? each ep ends with some pirate band playing music.

He hasn't seen it but I'm sure he'll love it... :smithicide:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Yikes.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I kind of envy my daughter's ability to be contented with plain noodles or steamed broccoli. Our dinners are like a grand tour of the globe every week and, while I'm happy we're exposing the kids to more variety and novelty than we had growing up, I'm also worried we're promoting an unhealthy view of food as more about novelty or pleasure and less about nutrition and sustenance.

Some nights we do the chicken strip or frozen pizza thing, but there'll be weeks where it's like a curry on Monday, stir fry on Tuesday, fajitas on Wednesday, oh there's cabbage left over so let's do okonomiyaki on Thursday, rarebit Friday, and hey it's the weekend we finally have time enough to do the stew/paprikash/etouffee/etc.

... My mother-in-law is frightened of black pepper & most of what I ate growing up came out of a box but we may have over-corrected.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Dreylad posted:

I apparently didn't have a name for a month because my parents were so indecisive.

Huh. We weren't allowed to leave the hospital without a name.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Not being able to afford another mat leave without employer top-up is one of the reasons we're stopping at 3 and we're in relatively socialized Canada. We don't understand how you afford having any kids at all in the States.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

You may not like it but cradle-to-cockpit training is how the US won the space race.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s the lack of sleep that’ll get ya

Dead bedrooming it pretty hard as as a result. None of our kids have been good sleepers and dealing with another 1+ year of the youngest at her worst is something I try not to to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Sea shanty update: my three year old has taken to wandering the house wistfully singing the line "Leave her, Johnny, leave her" like a haunted spinster from a Dickens novel.