Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Breeder crew reporting for duty

My 8yr old son saved up his money and just bought an iPad off Craigslist. I'm now torn between letting him become a screen elemental and policing his every move.

It has led to us having a lot of conversation about the costs of a free app wrt privacy and data and fake news (he was following the Iowa primary). It's hard to know how to explain all the this stuff to a kid because no one ever explained it to me but there's different stuff in the world.

Leroy Diplowski has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Feb 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

oxsnard posted:

how do you teach your kids to deal with political poo poo? I want my kids to be leftists so we talk about stuff generically but I want them to be able to learn more without telling kids they interact with that capitalism is the root of all evil, explicitly at least.

Need to find balance so every parent in the neighborhood doesn't hate me.

I was heavily indoctrinated by my parents and community to be extremely conservative and evangelical. Unfortunately for them I also learned critical thinking and read a lot of books.

Teaching your kids critical thinking, empathy, creativity, and how to love learning will help them develop their own worldview because whatever ideaology you shove down their throat is going to have to pass through the crucible of their identity seeking teenage and young adult years.

E: I realized op was probably not asking to indoctrinate his kids but I'mma leave this post up anyhow.

Leroy Diplowski has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Jan 23, 2021

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Kids getting into weird youtube gets brought up a lot. I ended up just putting the YouTube app on a raspberry pi running kodi. Then I just subscribed to the channels I'm comfortable with. In the kodi UI there are no suggested videos on the sidebar or when a video finishes playing. Now the only way my kids can view videos is to chooses from subscriptions or search something up and there's no way they're gonna tediously type out "weird elsa videos". It has worked well for us for several years because the kids can access the good content without being bombarded by the algorithm (it's also a lot easier for them to decide to do something else on their own when theres not a bunch of suggestions after each video.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Flavius Aetass posted:

UGGHHHHHHH

she flipped the teacher off after refusing to do her work

i've let things get way too lax and hands off lately and i think i need to institute some serious rules about screen time

do any of you have an example screen time schedule you'd like to share?

We had kind of let the screen time rules go out the window because the weather is poo poo here for three months out of the year and covid and stuff, but then my kids started giving us a hard time when it was time for dinner etc and we saw some weird behavior changes.

Around Christmas we had a family meeting and the kids all had their own ideas of screen time but I kinda scammed them. The deal we agreed to was that they could have screen time from the official sunset to bedtime as long as homework is done. (Except for dinner) Little do they know that in a couple of months they will have like 20 minutes. (But they can go play outside)

We have also found that leading by example is key. When my daughter was like 3 she was babbling about what mommies and daddies do and she was like "daddies look at their phone" and I was like "oh gently caress" so deleted twitter and a few other apps.

Last thought I have is that there is social and anti-social screen time. Watching shows that everyone likes, or even youtubers and playing videogames can be a pretty good bonding experience. I gotta admit that watching my kid grinding away in minecraft is not the most compelling thing but with a little effort I can engage with him and keep a conversation going about what he's doing and what he's interested in and I try to introduce them to things I think they'll like that I also like so it doesn't become a chore.

At the end of the day the goal isn't just to reduce screen time but to mitigate the opportunity cost it has that can displace the development of other social and personal skills.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Anyone have kids on discord? My 10yr old is on a server with a bunch of older kids (11-13) from the neighborhood and they are decent kids for the most part but occasionally they start making kill urself jokes or posting some borderline disturbing memes. I currently monitor his account but only discuss the content if my son brings it up (he knows I monitor). I know that I'm not gonna be spying on his posting forever tho.

Has anyone else had the experience of transitioning from supervised to unsupervised social media and chat use. I don't think we're quite ready but it's gotta happen at some point v

I suppose I am getting to the point where I'm realizing that my kids will soon be exposed to the whole internet thing.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Are the Boxcar Children problematic? I remember thinking the books were cool as a kid but almost every other piece of old kids media I've found has been hosed up.

I wanted to read Dr dolittle to my kid because I had really fond memories of the books from when I was a kid.

I went to ask the librarian if they had the books because they were in the catalogue but not on the shelves. She was like "ohhhh we keep that one in the basement but idk why". Took me like two chapters to find out why.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

What's up with the books? I never read them

Lot of writing about black people from a dude in the 1920s. Liberal use of the n-word. Prince bumpo wanting to become white and being tricked by the monkeys.

Honestly the storytelling and broader narratives hold up well and there's an abridged version of the first book that's pretty good. It's especially disturbing thinking of the historical context of what england was up to in Africa at the time.

For content; I have found that slightly scary books hold my kids attention well. "Hoodoo" and "Evangeline of the bayou" were two big hits this year. "The book of boy" was also really good if you are in the mood to explain 14th Century catholic traditions to your kid.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Dreylad posted:

any tips for getting babby to sleep in crib. she obviously prefers settling in our arms so we're just trading off shifts holding her all day and night and it's really hard to pinpoint when she's drowsy but not asleep to go down in her crib. there's so many variables with room temperature being right (check), dark, quiet room (check) swaddling/sleep sack (check although doesn't seem to like her arms being restricted), having a wind-down routine (check). sleep deprivation is getting to the point where we don't have the energy to try but obviously need to

We never owned a crib or had a baby's bedroom. Just co slept with both of our kids until they were big enough to be obnoxious and then we evicted them. If we had another kid (nope) we'd do the same thing. Mamma and daddy get plenty of sleep and id rather just have a baby in the bed. Also, we were really poor and while buying a crib would have maybe been possible space and possessions were in short supply.

Everyone has their reasons for doing whatever they do, but don't be afraid to be flexible and letting some of your variables slide. At the end of the day every parent in your lineage going back to the first homo sapiens has raised a kid successfully so do what works for you and don't forget the odds are on your side.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Vishass posted:

The youngest demands I fight him every night though for like 2 years now. Just rough housing and him jumping on my back. Calls it "fight time"

Fighting your children is critical for good development. My son is a bit of a pacifist (thank heavens bc I have about 5 years before he will be able to kick my rear end) but my daughter looooves fighting. To the point where we she will make me participate in her choreographed elaborate fight scenes.

Anyhow it's good for kids to know "guard your face and don't look away from your opponent and keep your feet in the right place"

Their elementary school actually did a martial arts program for gym one year and showed the kids how to get away when an adult is grabbing their arm and other escape moves. Was surprisingly effective.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Another Bill posted:

We went out to dinner X number of years ago and got a call at the mid-meal from our babysitters mother that she had locked herself out of our house with our kids still inside and awake.

Luckily we were local and able to be home in less than 10 minutes but holy poo poo I was mad. They're family friends so we took a 'no harm no foul' position (she was just a teenager herself) but it really hosed up my feelings about getting a babysitter for a while.

Parenting is fun!

I got locked out along with my kids by a kid I was babysitting. He did it on purpose to be a little poo poo, slipped inside while we were playing in the yard, locked the front and back doors and sat in the house taunting us, but forgot an unlocked window so I was able to clamber in. Needless to say we did not offer to watch him ever again.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

AxGrap posted:

Countdown to preschool:

I wish Saturdays and Sundays were really that much bigger

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

loquacius posted:

My daughter is showing some interest in learning to read. It's early, no rush on it or anything, but I was an early reader too so I like the idea of encouraging her. Thing is, I have very little idea how to do that other than sounding out words for her and stuff. Does anybody have recommendations for like a tablet game or something to help teach reading?

Just read Hop on Pop to your kid over and over again and then read it real slow and have them read a word here and there. Start with words that are obvious in context so they start off knowing the words by rote and feel smart and then move on the words they haven't memorized. Do this with other books too and go super slow and keep adding words make it fun and tell your kid they are a super genius. If they struggle with a word or are in an obstinate mood then just move on and revisit it next time.

This worked pretty well for both my kids.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

bitmap posted:

Don't feel bad loquacious my daughter is also a weiner. Little loser cried when the coin operated mall car ride thing started up.

My daughter is 9 and is still scared of the sound the toilet makes when it flushes. When she was smaller she would get someone to flush for her but at some point we implemented a "flush your own turds" policy. So she hits the handle and dashes out of the bathroom as quickly as possible. I don't give her poo poo tho because she thinks we don't notice and sometimes it's best to let the illusion remain.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I just asked my six year old if Batman is short for "bathroom man" and he got surprisingly angry at this line of questioning.

I used to troll my older kid with weird puns like this when he was little and now he is 12 and I am reaping the whirlwind.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah there's a sweet spot where you get just enough kids near each other and they just start to hum along without any encouragement. just feed them regularly.

This is true and it's why the whole suburban insular household thing is a pressure machine. Gotta get a passel of kids together and let them figure it out.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

loquacius posted:

He fell asleep with the bottle in his mouth having screamed for half an hour and drunk zero ounces. loving kill me.

I have been in exactly this position. Just meditate once they fall asleep and do you best to keep your heart rate low when they are awake. Babies pick up on that poo poo

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Votskomit posted:

can you hook me up with the ent-draught you're feeding your kid?

Don't feed your kid ent draught. It's cool when they tower over all the other kindergartners but my kid is now in men's size 11 shoes at age 12 and if he doesn't slow down pretty soon then he is going to be stuck with a life of expensive bland looking shoes.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

HootTheOwl posted:

Size 14 sneaker head here, it's true you pay a tax for big feet. It's not true that they have to be bland.
AMA

This is good to know! I just assumed based on my wife's experience as a big feed haver. She's always complaining about women's shoes that are cute being impossible to find in her size. Tho it is kinda fun being able to swap shoes.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
My 9yo daughter has been agitating for an increase in allowance but we sort of have all of the household chores that she's capable of taking on accounted for. So, I hired her to be my personal trainer and I gotta say: She has a gift.

I'm not sure if the novelty will wear off, but she's ready to rock and roll at 7am each morning and puts me through an "old man version" of her ballet warmup and some bodyweight exercises with Richard Simmons energy. I even got a pushup PB this morning. I'm not sure I would have set "do the splits" as a fitness goal for myself but who's to argue with a professional.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
My oldest is super into Pokemon cards and goes to Pokemon league every Sunday. I built a few decks that are fairly balanced with each other from his immense card library and it's pretty fun to do an impromptu family tournament from time to time.

The game is ok, but the really fun thing is just getting into whatever the kid is into so that they want to talk to you about it and you can slip in life lessons or math lessons or just nerd out together.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I did martial arts with my kid for something physical and he was kinda meh about it. Was a bit of a chore to get him excited about going to class.

And then I put him and his sister in a rock climbing class. It wasn't really a "kids activity" on my radar, but both my kids really love it and it's much more of a workout than standing in a row doing kicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
When my kids were like 3 and 8 months my parents came over to visit and my wife and I took the opportunity for like the first date night in a year. Shortly after we left my dad texted me with a picture of himself with poop all over his shirt. I was like " lol you can borrow one of my shirts look in the cupboard and you can leave that shirt in the sink. Thanks see you at 10."