Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

But the PB chocolate puffs cereal (I get the store brand at Wegmans but reeses is the name brand) isn't boring but is the best cereal hands down.

I know this because my kids whine for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ikanreed posted:

"Challenge authority or no desert for a week"

Okay yeah I don't think very many kids will have a problem that you stopped them from dying of heat and dehydration.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh yeah surprisingly Amazon prime has good original content. Stinky and dirty, tumble leaf, creative galaxy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Flavius Aetass posted:

having to make the tough decision that my girlfriend of 6 years is not good for my kid and she needs to go

That sounds *awful*. :smith:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

My son likes watching live in concert videos of his favorite songs, but that's like, power metal, guardians of the Galaxy awesome mix 1, jukebox the ghost, stuff like that, so it's just...live concert videos. Only with supervision.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kaedric posted:

I'm more radicalizsed but I've also become more cowardly. I'm the sole breadwinner for our family so whenever there's some dumb bullshit like kids in cages I don't want to join any protests in case the cops get uppity and just start murdering.

My kids gotta hurry up and grow up so I can die on the streets as god intended

I feel this pretty hard. I gotta be really careful because several people are relying on me directly for literally everything.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Honestly c&h will truly always be relevant, just like Tom Lehrer. Timeless.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

We've focused on prime kids shows mostly

Creative galaxy, tumble leaf, somehow they turned the "if x, then" sentence structure into an entire if you give a mouse a cookie show which is oddly nice

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

oh oh oh I tell this to literally every new parent but it bears repeating all the time

sleep schedule will get better, and then at 4 months there's a chance (approximately 33% from what I understand) that there will be a heavy regression back into screaming all the time no naps no sleep awful times.

it's normal, just be warned it's possible, we were not warned and a friend was like "oh poo poo I meant to warn you!!!"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

that's true in general, yeah

the 4 month sleep regression is really something though, specifically

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

haha that reminds me, i said before that my first child barely slept. this was true of car rides too. we would drive from seattle to portland to visit family (~3-5 hr trip, depending on traffic), and my daughter would cry for so much of the trip. and if we were ever lucky enough for her to fall asleep, slowing down for traffic at tacoma, olympia, etc. would wake her right up.

it was maddening, until we discovered that if we played a certain song at almost full blast, she would stop crying, calm down, and fall asleep after about 10-15 minutes of listening.

this is that song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epFrre9ujRM

The entire soundtrack is so fuckin good

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Good soup! posted:

My girl is two months old now and is all full of smiles and poo poo, it's so awesome

Not so awesome: the purple faced crying after her vaccinations lmao holy gently caress

I'm gonna admit I took some pictures of ours right after some early vaccinations. Big ol crying face.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

oxsnard posted:

I had forgotten about developmental leap #4, which starts at 15-18 weeks old

it sucks. The happy baby just screams all goddamned day long. She's happy some too but she won't sleep and is pissed off a ton.

4 month sleep regression, it's the worst.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Flavius Aetass posted:

Hey, what good kids shows or kid-friendly animes feature LGBT characters? My 9-year-old has noticed the near-complete absence of LGBT anything in most media and is getting pretty upset about it.

e: gonna ask in the LGBT thread too

look for anything that gets lots of "this is satanic!!!!!" comments from rightwing shitheads

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Pete the cat is oddly charming.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Flavius Aetass posted:

remember mathnet?

gently caress yes

the maltese pigeon, the fibonacci baseball mystery, the goddamn playing poker using dollar bills and solving a mystery because they were too sequential

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

New season of lego masters coming

My older kid got super obsessed with the first season and rewatched it over and over. He's gonna flip.

This is, uh, tv chat thread now right?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah honestly, at some point last year we started letting our 5yo play a bunch of animal crossing and it let them express a huge amount of creativity, and also once reading in kindergarten started it provided a really cool place to practice reading.

The goal is to avoid lots of non-interactive screen time, really. Hit or miss with that one for us.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Is it the four month one

That one sucked

Or is it one of the hojillion teeth related ones, those suck too

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Organic Lube User posted:

Don't forget the nap strikes.

I'm going to hear "baba baba baba BABA BABA BABA BABAAAAAAA" in my dreams for a decade I suspect

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

sonatinas posted:

i straight up banned paw patrol, she asks for it and I’m like we don’t have it

Same, absolutely no way we're ever putting that on

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Top quality work, imo

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

One day you'll wake up in the morning after getting in a solid six hours and wonder what the gently caress is going on.

That's still happening to me with a 6yo and a 3yo.

I suspect I will be surprised in the same way when they're teenagers and sleeping forever.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean I got my 6yo to watch Eurovision with us and now he asks for the winning Italian song as well as the absolutely badass Ukrainian entry so I'm pleased

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

I feel like more books about parenting should talk about the spectacular adventures of nasal douching, snot vacuuming and poop overflowing out of diapers.

Any of them that don't are basically worthless.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

Lol, didn't you know crapping is a spectator sport.

This is an entirely too accurate post.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Big Mad Drongo posted:

My 10mo did that, then pointed at the cat and said it again, then just started staring into space saying "dadadadadada" etc.

Beats my friend's kid who called both parents "cat" for months I suppose

Friend of mine had her kid call her Bobby for years. Eventually figured out they were trying to say princess??

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

kecske posted:

getting him to indicate when he's done eating is the next milestone for me (16 months), right now it takes the form of picking up the plate and frisbee it into the nearest wall

At least he's telling you!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Always Daniel Tiger imo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

But her name is Margaret...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

sonatinas posted:

edamame is like the gateway green for us, it’s
1. green
2. has protein
3. tastes good
4. goes well with rice
5. can give kid practice with motor skills popping the soy out

6. can give kid practice with spitting skills spitting the soy out of their mouth :argh:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Wife had previously discussed cops being bastards (in different words) to the 6yo last year due to current events, and then today for other reasons he asked about slavery, and while explaining it he then was like "it's bad like that time when a police was mean just because of someone having darker skin"

Okay kid, yeah, that works.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

You should read A Deadly Education.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

pancake rabbit posted:

my son is gonna be 4 next month and after i put him to bed every night i typically play a few games of rocket league, it's just sorta my thing

lately he's been getting out of bed once or twice after i first say goodnight to "tell us something" which is usually "i love you"

but he's caught me a few times and now occasionally he will ask if we can "play cars"

let me tell u folks, get yourself a spare wireless controller without any batteries in it, works wonders

That can only work for so long, though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

Toddlers love hiding things in various places don't they? I found toddler demon's sippy cup in a bag stuffed in a cabinet.

why is there a rock in this cup

why is this fake cereal box stuffed full of lego bricks

how the hell did you fit those giant blocks into that random cabinet

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

hah, I'm planning on doing the same with my kid. When she's old enough I'm going to teach her some basic karate for self-defense and to get her used to the movements, then we'll probably all take some BJJ as a family to learn how to fight better.

I'm also gonna teach her piano if she's interested (she probably will be, she loves music and already has her own little drum kit :3:)

Which drum kit? My 6yo has been clamoring for drums but found actual, real drums in a used music shop "too loud and scary".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Holy poo poo that rules

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

yeah, the daycare aspect is fine and good and important for dual income households...but the social interaction is really really good and helpful especially for speech delayed kids.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Strong no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

my kid has recently learned the names for some of his body parts, so we've been asking him to point to like his nose, his mouth, his feet, his bellybutton... every time he does it we clap for him and he like screams with laughter. extremely fun.

Just wait til he learns names for certain other parts, then he will repeat it forever and ever