Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I don't know much about Julien Gauthier, what's the deal?

Joey Keane has been excellent in his first pro year and is a good skating puck moving D who probably will have less offense at the NHL level than in the AHL, but still looks like a solid D prospect but plays a side where the Rangers are currently stacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm vaguely uncertain about the Rangers...they in theory could make a run for the playoffs but it'd take a massive push and is unlikely, but it also feels like a tough sell to be sellers at the deadline when you're in that "could do it!" spot

That said...I think they ultimately will have to be and it kinda sucks since if you squint you can see that they've been playing a bit better and could be in the hunt but for a few bad games here and there.

Kreider is their biggest asset and in many ways it'd be awesome if they could keep him because of what he brings beyond scoring...his speed in the offensive zone is an aspect that isn't talked about that much and let's him pressure D and other players much quicker than they're expecting. He's big and works the boards well, he's excellent in front of the net screening and deflecting shots, he's just a very good player but if you keep him you gotta know you're going to eat some painful years down the line and depending on the return it's probably better to sell. I just don't want it to be one of those things where they manage to get a late 1st and a B prospect who turns out to be nothing and the first is some borderline guy. At that point gently caress it shoulda kept him.

Fast also might be going...he's been a good glue type player who forechecks and retrieves pucks well, responsible defensively, but his offense comes and goes and he's just not that skilled overall for where he ends up playing and he's going to want enough of a raise that it may make more sense to trade him for a 2nd or something.

Georgiev is the other big piece available...it seems silly to be ready to trade this guy as he's showing he is ready to be a starter and his "replacement" is Shesterkin who only has what 6 games in the NHL? But Shesterkin is the real deal and has more upside IMO. Georgiev is quite good though and any team out there looking for a goaltending upgrade should be looking at him hard, but it doesn't sound like the Rangers want to just give him away for free.

The other wrinkle in all of this is Lundqvist..who has essentially been relegated to the backup role now. It's possible the Rangers buy him out this offseason even, but even though he was on board with the rebuild and knew this changing of the guard was coming, he might end up deciding he wants to be traded and if so, is there anyone out there that wants to take a chance on him for a playoff run? If you want to buy him out, do you decide to keep Kreider with the cap space you've bought yourself?

Vague trade possibilities include Strome (I kind of doubt since he'll still be a RFA and they can kick that can down the road another year or so) and DeAngelo (also doubt since when you have a guy who's gonna score 60+ points from the blueline you find a way to keep him, not trade him...you deal with the Fox or DeAngelo question further down the road). Buchnevich is also a maybe...but I think they trade Kreider OR Buchnevich, not both, since trading both leaves you pretty thin on the wings. Buch seems like the kind of top six forward you can re-sign for not toooo much and while he can be inconsistent at times is a solid player and may be worth more to you on your team than trading for a weak return.

Out there possibility may be Skjei but I think they don't want to take that hit to their LD at the moment...in the future someone like Miller might come in and shore up that side but currently the depth is Skjei, Staal, and Lindgren, so making it weaker isn't a great move at the moment. But if someone offers a decent return maybe you roll the dice and fill that spot later...
e: They do have Hajek and Rykov in Hartford who will both again push for a spot on LD this year or next. Rykov has had some injury issues which has slowed his possible transition to the NHL but he's an intriguing player...he has some really nice mobility (good hip movement) but is probably just average at actual skating speed, has good skill sbut likely wont' put up a ton of points, but is big and can use his body and might be that "2 way" defenseman who's big and fits into the top 4 well.
Hajek has a lot of tools but looks like he hasn't quite figured out how to play at the NHL level. He skates really well and can move the puck but can't protect himself for poo poo.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 18, 2020

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I don't really get Namestnikov. He seems like he should have all the skills to be a decent player. Good speed, decent shot and stick handling, nothing great but at the least a decent 3rd line player, but he somehow feels like he self sabatoges and just doesn't make the right plays

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

He honestly is not that big of a poo poo head because when he vaguely played like a poo poo head he got pile driven into the ground by the refs and stopped playing that way. He's pretty clean these days and doesn't throw many sketchy checks because he knows he'll just thrown out of the game for it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The rumor going around is that Botterill got burned so badly on previous trades (most notably O’Reilly) that he is afraid to gently caress up which is why he has barely made any trades. Also that nobody wants our lovely players and the other GM’s won’t take his calls or whatever.

Sure would be nice if we could trade like Risto and somebody else for a center. But at this rate Bots might make zero calls between now and the deadline which would be hilarious.

I'm honestly not sure what the Sabres have that other teams would really want. Vesey as a low cost rental maybe. No one wants their lovely D

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

rex rabidorum vires posted:

In regards to Skjei unless the Rangers get an absolute haul they shouldn't trade him. He's 25 plenty of years left on the deal. Strome is an interesting one. Going to be a career year for him. 35 even strength points, 2nd best shot creator on the Rangers, trails only Panarin in zone exits (for a forward) and has adequate entry stats. Feels like you'd give him a bridge and see how it goes.

I think with Skjei it's more that they gambled on giving him a long term contract and he honestly hasn't quite lived up to it. I think he'd do better on another team with more of a veteran support structure and system in place, but if you could move him and get out from his contract while sliding in a prospect or maybe cheaper guy you traded for then I think you consider it. He's not good enough to be untouchable except for a "haul" IMO, but I also think that trading him now is a long shot.

I feel Strome's numbers are inflated as gently caress by playing with Panarin but for the most part that's OK, you still need players who can play with your stars. Bigger issue is needing a better winger for that line than Fast who can do some heavy lifting on the boards but when his offense wanes it just starts to kill production on that line.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers are reportedly asking for a 1st, top prospect, roster player/less prospect, and a conditional pick if Kreider re-signs.

Fuckin' sky high asking price there but honestly also good that they're sticking to their guns and not just selling him for peanuts. I also kind of have to think that they are prepared to re-sign him if they don't get which is interesting.

Also sky high ask for Georgiev and sounds like they aren't going to be afraid to push Lundqvist out if they have to

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Wonderllama posted:

I remember being kinda upset about sending howden and hajak to the rangers and just looked them up the other night and :laffo: no one trade for any lightning early round picks that aren’t top five.

I mean they're both still like 22

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Aye Doc posted:

*ThinkTank chart lurks menacingly in the background, waiting to burst forth in 2 years*

Howden at least seems mostly just... passable? he's a guy, and he's there, and he will do things and then go back to the bench, and nobody is really upset or sad

Hajek is a defenseman and it's not unusual I think for them to take a few years to get up to NHL speed. He has size, skating, and can move the puck, he just seems like he hasn't quite put it together in the NHL yet. Maybe he never does, but he's got 2nd pair potential perhaps.

Howden sucks and makes me upset. He seems like he really can't think the NHL game right now...like he'll get the puck and just throw it someplace like he thinks he's acting on instinct and skill but he's actually just not aware of what's going on. He'll skate into the zone and then get clueless with what to do with the puck. He can make some nice plays now and then but honestly I think the Rangers did him a big disservice by not sending him to the AHL at some point. He could still get better but he's frustrating

That said I don't think anyone thought those guys were A level prospects to start with

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Wow rude Justin Schultz turned out pretty well.

Kevin Hayes as well

I suspect Shesterkin goes to the WC's or something after the NHL season ends assuming the Rangers don't magically make the playoffs and go deep

Also feels like Kreider has taken his game to the next level this year. If teams are seriously hemming and hawing about giving up good assets for him then they need to be honest with themselves that they're really just not interested in adding a quality piece to their lineup

Also really making it feel like it's gonna suck if/when the Rangers trade him

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

OldSenileGuy posted:

I hope it's a move, but I don't really know what to do with him at this point. The market keeps shrinking now that Boston and Pittsburgh no longer have their firsts to trade. I don't want to get stuck in a 7x7 contract with CK just because the trade return was underwhelming.....but I also don't want the trade return to be underwhelming.

The thing is...most rentals return pretty mediocre stuff. A really late first round pick and a B prospect. I'm less concerned about "oh no the Rangers didn't get assets!" and more about where this affects their lineup going forward with giving a 29 year old a hefty contract.

That said...the thing with Kreider is that if the Rangers think they've turned the corner a bit as a team and that will carry into next season and they'll be pushing to be contenders in 2 years, having a player like Kreider regardless of age isn't a bad thing. He's taken on a bit leadership role with the team in recent years that extends to offseason and off ice training as he is a fitness and training freak who has extended those habits to other players/rookies/etc. Keeping him helps provide some stability if the team thinks they're on an upswing and will be competitive soon rather than going through another up and down of roster churn and trying to get things back to baseline again.

But obviously that's a big drat gamble as to the state of the team and their abilities. The other part to it is that in a general sense they're running out of guys to flip for assets...there aren't that many vets left on the team, so the time to start transitioning to competitiveness is either now or soon. So...you gotta decide...

Again, I'm less concerned about the "lost" assets from not trading him as it's likely a bleh pick and a bleh prospect, but if it causes a cap crunch down the road and issues with signing other guys who need it, then that's a problem. But they also have a bunch of cap space coming off the books if they can make it through next season.

e: as I've said before I'm really less concerned about Kreider's aging and production. I don't think his speed is going to completely disappear even as he ages and he has other skills that will make him useful, it's more the cap space and term that present possible barriers in the future.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Barrie sucks defensively as far as I can tell (like makes dumb decisions and doesn't play well positionally as far as I can tell) but if you need offense from the blueline and can work around the deficiencies that seems fine?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I don't think Dregger has the slightest hint of sources with the Rangers at all and this is more of a "it's not done yet, therefore..." thing but ultimately it's probably correct

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Might be something happening with Lundqvist and the whole press conference
Dunno

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Johnny Gaudrea just left the ice at practice!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm all on board for this, though I think the Rangers would need to take back some $$ and not retain

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Look Around You posted:

Has Skjei been bad lately or ? I just don't get this trade for the rangers. It's been a bit for me but I thought he was still relatively Young and Good and someone you'd want to keep for a rebuild?

eh more like he hasn't quite taken that step forward to be the player they hoped he'd be. He skates well and has good overall skills but isn't going to generate a bunch offensively and he makes some really bizarre decisions at times. I think he's constantly trying to do too much instead of playing a more simple game that'd let him settle in as a solid 2nd pair guy.

To be honest I think he got too buddy with mcDonagh back a few years ago and tried to play like McDonagh but he's not good enough for that rather than just being his own player.

Ultimately, if it could save the Rangers some cap space it's not a bad move and SKjei might do better in a team where he can be protected a bit behind someone and have some real structure to the defense to rely on. The Rangers would need to find a replacement for the next few years but have a couple of good LD prospects in the works

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

This Skjei to Carolina thing sure is interesting

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I always assume this is the fast guy from the Mighty Ducks

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

That would put an end to the Skjei to Carolina speculation I think

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jovial Cow posted:

I was very intrigued by this.

Same but may be the Rangers couldn'teat enough cap space to make it work

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gotta be more going around because Carolina doesn't have the cap space to just add him for a pick and a prospect

unless this involves LTIR

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I hate hashtagging team slogans in tweets instead of teh name of the team

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

also incredible that the rangers appear to be finishing the deadline without making any moves at all just re-signing kreider

not even moving fast

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

this is uh a big mistake by the rangers, i think

I don't think it's "big" but I'm not 100% sure what they're doing here. I can only assume tehy feel comfortable not selling because they don't feel it was worth it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Also it's not like there can't/won't make other trades after the season

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

whoa, weird

Vatanen and SKjei? what the hell is carolian doing

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I mean I'll believe it when i see the confirmation but she works for the Atheletic and isn't a rando

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jovial Cow posted:

How can they possibly fit Skjei and Vatanen.

Is Hamilton on LTIR? If not maybe they move him to LTIR and are sending a piece or two back to the Rangers?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jovial Cow posted:

How can they possibly fit Skjei and Vatanen, unless Vatanen is coming over for Skjei? Does he make less?

A bit but I don't see why the Rangers would take Vatanen

I could see something like McGinn and Edmonson to the rangers to clear space? they both have expiring contracts

e: also always possible Gardiner was part of all of this

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Weird.

Rangers selling on a guy who didn't live up to his contract but I have to imagine a lot of this is thinking about cap implications after re-signing Kreider. I think they've been unhappy with how Skjei has played despite giving him all the chances in the world.

That said, it leaves a hole in the Rangers LD for now. I wonder who they'll call up...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

They're gonna put Brendan Smith back on D.

oh gently caress

lol

well we'll make do i guess

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jovial Cow posted:

Also seems weird to deal Skjei to a team we’re chasing for a playoff spot.

I think they're not making moves with the idea of how it affects their playoffs hopes this year. They're seeing this as cap space for DeAngelo, Fast, Strome, Lemieux, etc

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

This stopped being relevant the second Shety broke a rib.

Georgiev is still really good. I don't know if it's enough to get them to the playoffs, but he's a more than competent NHL starter

that said lol yeah what a world where the night before the trade deadline your new star goaltender gets in a car accident and breaks a rib

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Misanthrope posted:

What the gently caress is a Forbort?

a bust of a draft pick

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Wonderllama posted:

Yeah well first round draft picks play for pretty cheap too JBB you dumbfuck

I'm sure it's their year to win the cup though

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Skjei trade has been made official. Skjei for a 2020 1st rounder.

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/1232094181440413696

The condition seems to be the "later" of the 1st round picks that Carolina has. So if Toronto's pick is 15th and Carolina's pick is 20th, NY gets the 20th pick.

The wrinkle appears to be that it has to be a 2020 pick. If the Leafs bombed out and the condition on their pick kicked in (if it's top 10 then the pick to Carolina changes to 2021) then the Rangers get Carolina's 2020 pick no matter what. If the Leafs pick was deferred but Carolina won the draft lottery the Rangers would get that lottery pick from Carolina (lol)

Probably won't happen but it'd be amazing if it did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

The only team who could unseat Toronto is Florida, who is two points behind with a game in hand. Rangers are four points out of Carolina's second wildcard spot, which the Blue Jackets are tied for, though Carolina has two games in hand.

odds are the Rangers will just have two picks in the mid teens-mid 20's