Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

big scary monsters posted:

I don't think that's true of Microsoft's offerings. Teams is wank and Skype for Business too, but AFAIK you pay Microsoft for the licenses and that's the product, not your data.

Doesn't mean you aren't giving Microsoft access according to their, uh, versatile privacy policy.

Now they're not supposed to use that data and have proper security controls over the access. Which requires you to trust Microsoft has invested significant money into vetting everyone with access and making sure the access controls work properly under all conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Speaking of privacy concerns,

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52095331 posted:

A coronavirus app that alerts people if they have recently been in contact with someone testing positive for the virus "could play a critical role" in limiting lockdowns, scientists advising the government have said.

The location-tracking tech would enable a week's worth of manual detective work to be done in an instant, they say.

But the academics say no-one should be forced to enrol - at least initially.

UK health chiefs have confirmed they are exploring the idea.

"NHSX is looking at whether app-based solutions might be helpful in tracking and managing coronavirus, and we have assembled expertise from inside and outside the organisation to do this as rapidly as possible," said the tech-focused division's chief Matthew Gould.

Instant alerts
The study by the team at the University of Oxford's Big Data Institute and Nuffield Department of Population Health was published in the journal Science.

It proposes that an app would record people's GPS location data as they move about their daily lives. This would be supplemented by users scanning QR (quick response) codes posted to public amenities in places where a GPS signal is inadequate, as well as Bluetooth signals.

If a person starts feeling ill, it is suggested they use the app to request a home test. And if it comes back positive for Covid-19, then an instant signal would be sent to everyone they had been in close contact with over recent days.

Those people would be advised to self-isolate for a fortnight, but would not be told who had triggered the warning.

In addition, the test subject's workplace and their transport providers could be told to carry out a decontamination clean-up.

"The constrictions that we're currently under place [many people] under severe strain," said the paper's co-lead Prof Christophe Fraser.

"Therefore if you have the ability with a bit more information and the use of an app to relax a lockdown, that could provide very substantial and direct benefits.

"Also I think a substantial number of lives can be saved."

To encourage take-up, it is suggested the app also acts as a hub for coronavirus-related health services and serves as a means to request food and medicine deliveries.

The academics note that similar smartphone software has already been deployed in China. It was also voluntary there, but users were allowed to go into public spaces or on public transport only if they had installed it.

[article continues]

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52095331

Looks like it's almost time for a game of "how much is your privacy worth".

(Sidenote, in America they've started using anonymised ad tracking data to track the volumes of people in different locations and their flow, so there's at least a way to do *some* of this without being as invasive as this proposition)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

Doesn't mean you aren't giving Microsoft access according to their, uh, versatile privacy policy.

Now they're not supposed to use that data and have proper security controls over the access. Which requires you to trust Microsoft has invested significant money into vetting everyone with access and making sure the access controls work properly under all conditions.
If you look at that Zoom meeting screenshot they're also using Outlook for all of their emails, so if you don't trust Microsoft they're already hosed.

This is supposed to be why government offices were moving towards open source stuff (as well as meaning that charities could correspond with them without needing to buy Office) but I see that's gone well.

blunt posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52095331

Looks like it's almost time for a game of "how much is your privacy worth".
It's entirely voluntary! Like going to work!

willie_dee posted:

Everyone should also tell their loved ones how they feel about them, I get that it feels that stuff will never happen to them, but that's how most people feel, then it does, and then its too late.
Yeah, they should.

It seems a lot more awkward than a will when it comes up though.

Like with a will people accept that they will eventually die, but they don't want to accept that they will eventually go through the process of dying.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I don't wanna sound like an arse but is there some way to disable all the crap that appears under people's avatars without disabling the avatars themselves

It's fine in the app but on my desktop my middle finger is getting tired of mousewheeling

if you have ublock (and it probly works in adblock or whatever too) you can add this to My Filters in the dashboard thingy
CSS code:
forums.somethingawful.com##.userinfo .title .bbc-center > *:not(:first-child)
forums.somethingawful.com##.userinfo .title > *:not(:first-child)
forums.somethingawful.com##.userinfo .special_title
and that should mostly get stuff without removing most title text, if it breaks things you're on your own the layout is a hot mess

(or click yr mousewheel and move down and let it all serenely scroll past like a waterfall of posts)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Guavanaut posted:

If you look at that Zoom meeting screenshot they're also using Outlook for all of their emails, so if you don't trust Microsoft they're already hosed.

This is supposed to be why government offices were moving towards open source stuff (as well as meaning that charities could correspond with them without needing to buy Office) but I see that's gone well.
I thought the business versions of MS products had privacy policies that actually meant something? Otherwise I'd expect it to break the GDPR for e.g. universities to use it, since student emails count as highly sensitive data.

(God I wish it broke the GDPR, I want to go back to Thunderbird...)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
How does the app monitor who you are in contact with? Does it know if you are in regular contact with extremists? Does it measure your speed on roads? Does it have a dead man's switch that checks you haven't put the phone away?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Azza Bamboo posted:

How does the app monitor who you are in contact with? Does it know if you are in regular contact with extremists? Does it measure your speed on roads? Does it have a dead man's switch that checks you haven't put the phone away?

Or live in the many parts of the country with zero mobile phone signal!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My phone can't even tell which direction I'm facing on roads, I've driven halfway to Liverpool with the phone saying I was going sideways up the M6.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It doesn't matter what way you're facing when you contact the corvid. I invented that app in this thread like a Fortnite ago.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

My phone can't even tell which direction I'm facing on roads, I've driven halfway to Liverpool with the phone saying I was going sideways up the M6.

Were you doing an extremely long drift?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Using Microsoft is absolutely fine in terms of GDPR and nearly every big business you’ve ever used and not known about are using it. Teams is significantly less wank than other options now.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

What is the Zoom alternative?

Also, what makes Zoom as a company especially lovely compared to the competition?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Were you doing an extremely long drift?
The Fast and the Furious: Stokeyo Drift

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Munin posted:

Also, what makes Zoom as a company especially lovely compared to the competition?

Some more tech savvy people around me have used Jitsi but I don't know anything about them except it's open source.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Munin posted:

As far as I can tell basically nothing. They pass your data to Google Ads (which isn't great but I'm pretty sure every free service does similar), and they have a feature where the host of a meeting can get an alert if you defocus the window for 30 seconds (which is apparently Unacceptable Spying on Your Data).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

pumpinglemma posted:

As far as I can tell basically nothing. They pass your data to Google Ads (which isn't great but I'm pretty sure every free service does similar), and they have a feature where the host of a meeting can get an alert if you defocus the window for 30 seconds (which is apparently Unacceptable Spying on Your Data).

It's more spying than I like. Sorry but the whole good thing with conference calls is you can sit on it barely paying attention to bores droing on until someone says something relevant to you. Idea I have to look at your stupid face while you drone on defeats the point.

Things that force you to do your work at your meaningless job are bad.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

pumpinglemma posted:

The latter feature isn't on by default so although it's annoying that it's part of the available options, it's down to your lovely boss/company choosing to enable it to check if staff pay attention.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Microsoft my loving comfort mouse just fell to bits which is a great start.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

For someone who never makes any presentations, I wonder if Cabinet Room (Host, me) just uses Powerpoint as an alternative to Word. Also, if you're using Zoom on a phone in portrait mode you end up with the black bars on the side of the screen and shows most of the cabinet can't use a laptop.

TECH INSIGHTS

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of Microsoft my loving comfort mouse just fell to bits which is a great start.

My 360 pad I use on the PC is finally giving up the ghost. Truly MS are ruining isolation

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's an interesting thought experiment in secure/anonymous app design. The worst way (so the way it's *definitely* going to be designed) would be to have it upload realtime location data to a centralised server, which then just backtracks your journey and snags all of the people who had the same location at the same time as you. The reason (other than privacy) this is the worst way of doing it is that GPS data has a *way* bigger margin of error than safe social distance so you'll end up snagging a thousand people on a train going past 200 yards away, not to mention the additional strain on battery and data it'll take.

Off the top of my head, a way to do it with decent privacy (although possibly with worse battery use and *potentially* some individualised security issues) would be to assign each user a unique ID which is then broadcast via the bluetooth radio (almost all modern phones should be capable of keeping up a connection to headphones etc. while doing this), with each phone keeping a two-week log of all of the IDs it came within range of. If you test positive, they grab all of those IDs and then look them up to contact people who've been within range of you. Still not ideal in that in good conditions that could still be someone 20 or so metres away but should at least mostly avoid people just driving past. This would also be heavily hardware-dependent (and could end up taking up a lot of storage space) so is also less-than-optimal.

Another way could be to keep your own location data private on the phone. If you test positive, HMG get the mobile phone companies to push out a notification to every handset that had been on the same tower as you at the same time with your location data on it, and the handsets then report back if they have a match. This is (to my very much unqualified thinking) compatible with both privacy and accuracy and should be doable with just about any smartphone.

I'm certain there are clever people who could come up with much better ways of doing this, but I'm even more certain it'll be dumped on BT or Capita and will work in that first way because of course it will.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Guavanaut posted:

Particularly laughable as the MOD/Army working-from-home memo demands that all laptops are connected to monitors using VGA cables for security reasons. No HDMI, Displayport, DVI allowed. And then the cunts just discuss highest level issues over Zoom.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's an interesting thought experiment in secure/anonymous app design. The worst way (so the way it's *definitely* going to be designed) would be to have it upload realtime location data to a centralised server, which then just backtracks your journey and snags all of the people who had the same location at the same time as you. The reason (other than privacy) this is the worst way of doing it is that GPS data has a *way* bigger margin of error than safe social distance so you'll end up snagging a thousand people on a train going past 200 yards away, not to mention the additional strain on battery and data it'll take.

Off the top of my head, a way to do it with decent privacy (although possibly with worse battery use and *potentially* some individualised security issues) would be to assign each user a unique ID which is then broadcast via the bluetooth radio (almost all modern phones should be capable of keeping up a connection to headphones etc. while doing this), with each phone keeping a two-week log of all of the IDs it came within range of. If you test positive, they grab all of those IDs and then look them up to contact people who've been within range of you. Still not ideal in that in good conditions that could still be someone 20 or so metres away but should at least mostly avoid people just driving past. This would also be heavily hardware-dependent (and could end up taking up a lot of storage space) so is also less-than-optimal.

Another way could be to keep your own location data private on the phone. If you test positive, HMG get the mobile phone companies to push out a notification to every handset that had been on the same tower as you at the same time with your location data on it, and the handsets then report back if they have a match. This is (to my very much unqualified thinking) compatible with both privacy and accuracy and should be doable with just about any smartphone.

I'm certain there are clever people who could come up with much better ways of doing this, but I'm even more certain it'll be dumped on BT or Capita and will work in that first way because of course it will.

You should be able to solve for driving past by monitoring current speed of the ID and the ones it comes into contact with somehow (i.e. if going faster than walking pace, disregard everything travelling at significantly different speeds, and everything outside like... a metre or two that isn't travelling at exactly the same speed as you.

Managing to get things like buses and trains whilst not also warning every single car sharing the same motorway is an interesting thought experiemt but one Google has definitely already done with the Maps traffic tracking.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
What's smartphone usage like in the UK anyway? Are there enough people without smartphones that it would be a problem for an app based solution?

I assume it'd be a short step anyway before over-enthusiastic police started fining people if they take the bins out but don't carry their smartphone with them...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

knox_harrington posted:

Particularly laughable as the MOD/Army working-from-home memo demands that all laptops are connected to monitors using VGA cables for security reasons. No HDMI, Displayport, DVI allowed. And then the cunts just discuss highest level issues over Zoom.

Why is VGA more secure than HDMI?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

It's more spying than I like. Sorry but the whole good thing with conference calls is you can sit on it barely paying attention to bores droing on until someone says something relevant to you. Idea I have to look at your stupid face while you drone on defeats the point.

Things that force you to do your work at your meaningless job are bad.
Have a laptop/tablet on your desk while the call is going on and use that to browse the internet instead. Or put the Zoom window on the left side of the screen and the browser on the right side of the screen and keep the Zoom window focused unless you're scrolling or clicking a link. It's not that I don't hate workplace monitoring in general, but the way Zoom does it sounds utterly trivial to bypass.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

What's smartphone usage like in the UK anyway? Are there enough people without smartphones that it would be a problem for an app based solution?

I assume it'd be a short step anyway before over-enthusiastic police started fining people if they take the bins out but don't carry their smartphone with them...

Outside of children and very old people it's basically 100%.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's not. Just paranoid army rules

e: Well. not necessarily paranoid. Military generally works on the principle that only things that are specifically approved can be used. HDMI has only been a thing for 18 years so they haven't had time to add it to the list yet.

moostaffa fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 31, 2020

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

As of last year, a literal majority of people aged 75 or over didn't use the internet at all over a span of three months. Smartphones aren't going to work for us by themselves.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's not*. However that's the last thing they bothered to check and they'll presumably get round to authorising HDMI around the time we all just start beaming stuff directly into our ocular inputs.

* Actually it could go either way. Properly-implemented HDMI *should* make it impossible to implant a device in the middle of the signal path to read the screen, and even badly-implemented HDMI is much more secure against TEMPEST** than VGA. However VGA has the advantage of not requiring additional processing steps between the GPU and the VDU, so if both of those components are certified then keeping the signal chain as simple as possible definitely has some advantages. VGA is also grounded and shielded while standard HDMI isn't, which clears up the TEMPEST problem.

** Getting the contents of an electronic system through the incidental electromagnetic noise it generates, or other emanations. Theoretically you can read the signal passing over the monitor cable without tapping into it because of course it's a bit of wire with electric running through it, it unavoidably radiates an electromagnetic signal. In theory you could reconstruct that to get the contents of the screen. HDMI can encrypted on the wire (although not very securely) via HDCP so should be more secure - although by no means completely so - than the unencrypted VGA/SVGA signal.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 31, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

As of last year, a literal majority of people aged 75 or over didn't use the internet at all over a span of three months. Smartphones aren't going to work for us by themselves.

That's a population we probably don't have to worry about doing track-and-trace on though, because they're not likely to be moving around anywhere near as much as working-age people.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

moostaffa posted:

It's not. Just paranoid army rules

e: Well. not necessarily paranoid. Military generally works on the principle that only things that are specifically approved can be used. HDMI has only been a thing for 18 years so they haven't had time to add it to the list yet.

That reminds me that legislation was brought in to allow for the recording of interviews I Garda custody in Ireland in 1984.
But it was never properly implemented until about 1999 or there abouts.
Where they brought in VHS tapes and Video recording equipment.
While some stations have modernized and record on DVD's (or in some cases you might get a USB with the recorded interview on it.) a lot of stations particularly in the countryside still record these videos in triplicate on VHS. (So three VHS per hour and a half of recording or per interview which could be interrupted for various reasons.)

So Garda stations still have a mountain of VHS tapes for recording these interviews.

And the reason they went with recording in VHS instead of DVD (even at a time when VHS was dead.)
A panel that considered the technology fealt that digital recordings on DVD could be edited and it couldn't on VHS.

My personal opinion was it was because some TD's (Irish version of MP) mate had a bunch of cheap VCR's and they arranged some deal.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

FWIW HMG Infosec Standard 4 has allowed HDMI (with HDCP) for stuff up to TS for *years* now, but frankly if you're working on that sort of stuff at home there's way bigger problems than what cable you have to hand, especially - like you say - if you just then use Zoom, lol.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

FWIW HMG Infosec Standard 4 has allowed HDMI (with HDCP) for stuff up to TS for *years* now, but frankly if you're working on that sort of stuff at home there's way bigger problems than what cable you have to hand, especially - like you say - if you just then use Zoom, lol.

Yeah I think it's a worry about your own gear, though I don't see why an analogue device would be less likely to be compromised than a digital one.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 1, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's not*. However that's the last thing they bothered to check and they'll presumably get round to authorising HDMI around the time we all just start beaming stuff directly into our ocular inputs.

* Actually it could go either way. Properly-implemented HDMI *should* make it impossible to implant a device in the middle of the signal path to read the screen, and even badly-implemented HDMI is much more secure against TEMPEST** than VGA. However VGA has the advantage of not requiring additional processing steps between the GPU and the VDU, so if both of those components are certified then keeping the signal chain as simple as possible definitely has some advantages. VGA is also grounded and shielded while standard HDMI isn't, which clears up the TEMPEST problem.

** Getting the contents of an electronic system through the incidental electromagnetic noise it generates, or other emanations. Theoretically you can read the signal passing over the monitor cable without tapping into it because of course it's a bit of wire with electric running through it, it unavoidably radiates an electromagnetic signal. In theory you could reconstruct that to get the contents of the screen. HDMI can encrypted on the wire (although not very securely) via HDCP so should be more secure - although by no means completely so - than the unencrypted VGA/SVGA signal.

Doesn't (published, non-TLA) Van Eck phreaking read off the screen? Does the cable make a difference in that case? I'm not up on the latest, I can imagine higher resolutions and better power efficiency might make that kind of attack more difficult, but last I saw it worked fine on relatively modern monitors.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

That's presumably from the JSP? IIRC that's cribbed from some American document published in like 1999, so it's not surprising, they were probably more worried about people using composite video sockets on their CRTs. There's probably a section about making sure your house phone isn't too near your daisy-wheel printer, too.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 1, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't carry a phone with me as a matter of course, and usually go like a week between checking it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

Doesn't (published, non-TLA) Van Eck phreaking read off the screen? Does the cable make a difference in that case? I'm not up on the latest, I can imagine higher resolutions and better power efficiency might make that kind of attack more difficult, but last I saw it worked fine on relatively modern monitors.

In ideal conditions, probably, but you need to be pretty close (and directly on-axis) for it to work to the level that text is visible. Like close enough that it would probably be a lot more efficient to use a camera.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I vote VGA because it’s stayed the same and there aren’t forty different versions. 15 pins and you’re done.

What the gently caress is a HDMI 1.3a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New thread is up!