Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm curious to see if the Tories have to execute their plans to have the army empty the bins.

At last the future that brexiters voted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Just to clarify, would that include offices as well?

In which case giant lols, because I'll have basically no work to do. Most of my job is prepping laptops and I won't be able to access any of them.

The rationale from Sturgeon is that gatherings of over 500 need police and paramedic presence - she highlighted freeing up that resource as the key reason and said 'the science' didn't demand gatherings stop, so may not apply to offices who knows

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

hemale in pain posted:

boris - "we've done what we can to contain the virus."

??? like what

Sing happy birthday twice to ward off evil spirits??

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Communist Thoughts posted:

i mean really taking any measures against infecting yourself or anyone around you is directly going against bojo's master plan

Berlin today: closing bars and nightclubs
London last night (and probably tonight as well): packed pubs with banter lads knocking elbows together then laughing it up, no one looking remotely concerned

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Well played.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

No More Toast posted:

When this first started feeling serious I thought Boris & Co would be able to swing this to their advantage. As each day goes by this seems less and less likely but even if this somehow does tank the Tories I'd rather it also didn't result in thousands of people dying needlessly.

They're absolutely going to come out of this saying that EU regulations slowed down our response but since we've TAKEN BACK CONTROL it definitely won't happen again in future also no we need to leave all these infringements on civil liberties in place and people will still loving vote for them because they're terrified their house prices will go down.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Julio Cruz posted:

it’ll probably be like the last day of school when the teachers didn’t give a poo poo and just let everyone watch films all day

Doesn't schools being open just for the kids of key workers also need the government to make sure the only people working are "key workers" since otherwise people who are working but not identified as key will need to find childcare?

Oh wait, that is more thought than the government is putting into this.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I hate to say it, but: is there a private option for testing?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/harley-street-clinic-offering-375-coronavirus-private-test

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
If anyone is stuck trying to get toilet paper or knows vulnerable folk who are, you can order it online from Staples and they have it in stock (or did last night)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Mebh posted:

In Sheffield there's a bar called Meltdown. A few friends who were cancelling various events there today talked to the manager. He said bars and restaurants have insurance in place already so that they get a payout if the government forces them to shut.
So by not enforcing it the government is saving the insurance companies from having to payout.

Guess which party has a looooooong history of donations and ties to insurance industry? Go on. One guess!

Daww did you miss his face?

Edit: 111 is the number you can ring to be rung back and told off for bothering them about your corona symptoms.

It'll probably also mean the Tory supporting big pub chain bosses can buy up all the independents and small chains that go down first, because they'll manage to survive with special crony handouts if they hold on long enough.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/labour-mps-alarmed-covid-19-laws-being-passed-without-vote

I'm sure we can trust the Tories not to sneak anything draconian into new legislation... Oh wait, two year duration... No review... And extending mental health detentions as a nice little add on.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

loving lol boris said no when asked if he'd get a brexit extension because of this

Odds of having a pandemic, no deal brexit and the queen's death all happening at the same time looking better.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
At some point surely all the folk with big chest freezers are going run out of space for bread, ready meals and meat and will stop buying it all up though?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ash Crimson posted:

You speak only for yourself; it's madness up here, no toilet paper, flour is low, no tins of tomatoes, pasta is gone, etc.

Shops that aren't supermarkets had lots of flour here in Edinburgh. Whole foods/organic type places.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Aramoro posted:

It's a really interesting bit of history about how the War office and rationing influenced our diets in such a dramatic way. We basically eat brown bread because of WW1 flour rationing.

Can see what we end up getting this time, then https://www.city.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/523854/PM-Letter-TL-TJM-EPM-final-20-03-20.pdf

This doesn't look great

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah just post this 4pm on a friday it's fine: https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus---school-and-elc-closures-guidance-on-critical-childcare-provision-for-key-workers/

and social landlord guidance did get posted but it was backdated to appear released march 18th, document was finalised 19th at 2:40pm: https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-guidance-for-social-landlords/

perhaps the government should accelerate their actions just a bit

With the key worker childcare provision, I'm in a category 2 company in Scotland and we got guidance today basically saying "ok you -might- get childcare but seriously you need to exhaust every other option you've got, get line manager approval to even ask for it, and even then we know they're going to prioritise category 1 people so think really really hard if you actually need this"

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

peanut- posted:

loving hell, every shop near me is absolutely empty of beer.

I had to buy Strongbow

A local craft brewery was doing a thing to encourage food bank donation where if you brought tinned food to their brewery for collection, they'd give you cans of their beer in return, one for one. So I've got less food but more beer which seems alright.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
There have been tons of really drunk folk going past here, so I guess they got really stuck in before pubs closed, and now there's just big groups of teenagers sitting around bored in the streets near here presumably cause wherever they would normally go is shut. Great work prime minster, really locked it all down.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

large_gourd posted:

not much that can really be done about that, is there? unless you want to go full on patrols and arrests, but even then there aren't enough police to be catching everyone. you're gonna get some goofs.

as long as it isn't 90% goofs then we'll still reduce the number of deaths significantly.

Oh yeah wasn't suggesting arresting everyone outside, I'm not a Telegraph reader - was more just amused that the response to a lockdown was more drunk folk and people hanging out than usual.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Azza Bamboo posted:

Let me tell you about Nutella and cottage cheese sandwiches.

Cottage cheese and marmite peanut butter is great

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
All the folk heading obliviously heading off to their second homes in rural areas are crazy selfish and remind me of several US folk in the GBS thread who were saying they would just drive cross country to small towns or motels and wait it out and got shouted out for being those guys in ever apocalyptic virus story/film who spread a trail with them if they're infected.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm surprised that there hasn't been some kind of generic leaflet through everyone's door with information/guidance for awareness, since there are people who don't watch the news at all or use social media much (or only consume news that is misleading at best). But I guess maybe the situation is moving too fast for that?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

peanut- posted:

I figure it's because 90% of microwave meals are for one person, which is no use for entire families stuck at home.

They need fridge/freezer space which can be at a premium either with a family and /or in a rented flat maybe?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

forkboy84 posted:

You've got 2 hours notice so can rush out if need be, and anyway, even in Italy you're still able to get a pass to go to the shops. You're going to be able to get food. Don't panic, please.

This is a dumb question, but are takeaways still able to operate in places that are locked down? Or are just supermarkets etc staying open but not places selling prepared food?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

EvilHawk posted:

I've been going along with the assumption that the government really, really, doesn't want to be seen as inconveniencing anyone. They only closed the pubs after getting pressure from Scotland/the NHS (and even then didn't really close them, until there was news reports saying the pubs were full on Friday night). They haven't put in a full lockdown until loads of people were absolute idiots over the weekend and the media criticised the public. At no point has the government taken the load and acted before they "had" to. They're using the media (and their own briefings to the media) to make all their actions look like they've been forced to do it. If only the public had all been 100% rational actors and voluntarily self isolated for two months at the same time we'd be fine!

This is why the public are approving of the government. They're merely waiting until the last moment and doing the bare minimum.

Yeah, all the retired (or rich enough not to care) Tory voters with second homes have already left the cities with their 4x4 full of waitrose food to go stay wherever it is that doesn't have a healthcare system and shops in place to support them there long term so a lockdown will just keep them in the place they're not meant to be.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So what's happened in the past 24 hours that we're (probably) going from "oh please don't stand too close together" to full on lockdown?

Second home owners panicked and too many people went to national parks.

Or more accurately, the media called Boris Johnson an idiot and some foreign leaders probably shouted at him.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
"It will be banned to shop for anything beyond essentials"

So does this mean supermarkets will be stopping selling things that aren't essentials? And what the gently caress is 'essential'? Can I buy crisps? Booze? Top up my power meter at a newsagent?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I do like the way they're encouraging people to get food delivered from online services if they can but they're all booked up for weeks :smith:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Marmaduke! posted:

If people in this thread seriously thought that they would get into trouble for watching the bojo broadcast without a TV license then we should let them believe they'll totally get arrested for leaving the house twice in one day. Possibly by the TV detector vans pulling double duty

The way they followed up the announcement that it would be enforced by the police by saying that they also didn't have enough police was a nice touch.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Soylent Yellow posted:

Am I right in thinking Hancock is rolling back yesterday's announcement almost completely with regard to closing workplaces?

It sounds like it, and saying you should speak to your employer if you think it should be closed. And blaming TfL for crowded trains.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's gonna be so many hosed up fetishes coming out of this.

Expecting to see an explosion (ha) in dogging and public stuff after this tbh

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

duckmaster posted:

My local SPAR is out of non-dairy milk (ok, “non-dairy drink”) but the fresh dairy milk shelves are full. I can only assume people are taking it because it’s all got best before dates as opposed to use by so you can keep it in a cupboard until you want to use it.

Not a huge issue for me because veganism is a choice etc etc, but I have a friend who is severely lactose intolerant and it seems a bit selfish that there are presumably now cupboards full of soya milk “for emergencies” and her and people like her have to eat their cornflakes with, I dunno, water?

I wouldn’t be pissed off about it at all if there was a shortage of dairy milk, but there isn’t!!

Edit: unless of course the oat milk supply line is the first to collapse, but I doubt it

Weirdly in the Sainsbury near me, the non-dairy milks and UHT that sit on the normal unchilled aisle were all gone, but the non-dairy milks in the chillers near the dairy milk were fully stocked.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/26/nobody-will-starve-says-ocado-chair-urging-britons-to-stop-stockpiling

he urged people to plan their meals and show some frugality. “If you buy a chicken, roast the chicken, have the roast chicken dinner, the following day turn it into a stir fry, the following day make it into soup,” he said. “We live in a very profligate society: we buy too much, we eat too much, we consume too much, and we have to learn new ways.”

Always astonishing but now surprising how he, and the government, maybe don't grasp that some people don't have that chicken or any way to get it, or a larder stocked with food....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/millions-to-need-food-aid-in-days-as-virus-exposes-uk-supply

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I almost wouldn't put it past his government to do it as a hoax in order to get sympathy for him, distract from any past failings and get him out of the political spotlight for a bit so when the deaths go up, everyone else can take the blame for a bit until he recovers just as things improve.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

As an IBS guy that sounds like IBS. Gluten doesn't affect me much but onions sure as hell do

Same, I can eat bread happily, but onions or coffee are a Bad Idea for me with IBS.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

What's noticeable in that article is that these problems were here before the pandemic and two of the three causes are separate to brexit. The government clearly has no interest in food security beyond a shrug and assuming that we can just get it from elsewhere and supply chain problems won't happen.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Communist Thoughts posted:

and the gov have mostly sat on their hands that entire time.

I mean to be fair they've been super busy infecting each other though

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Friend lives next door to a Tory MP and his wife, who are supposedly self-isolating. Last night the MP had family visitors who drove over, spent a few hours having dinner and hanging out with them and then left because of course government guidance on a pandemic can be ignored if you're a smug Tory.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

forkboy84 posted:

This is the sort of thing that could be forwarded to a paper. Probably both a local paper and a national

I'm trying to get my friend to tell me who it is. I think he's worried because there aren't many other homes nearby so he thinks it'll be obvious it was him who passed it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

pumpinglemma posted:

As far as I can tell basically nothing. They pass your data to Google Ads (which isn't great but I'm pretty sure every free service does similar), and they have a feature where the host of a meeting can get an alert if you defocus the window for 30 seconds (which is apparently Unacceptable Spying on Your Data).

The latter feature isn't on by default so although it's annoying that it's part of the available options, it's down to your lovely boss/company choosing to enable it to check if staff pay attention.