Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

SpitefulHammer posted:

Wilkos conveniently slashing sick pay...

I can see more companies implementing similar policies soon.

I legitimately thought Wilko's went bankrupt about 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I had to send someone home on Wednesday with a fever which has been getting worse and is now pretty clearly coronavirus. Other people have had their team's sent home for less but as she's on work experience rather than an actual employee apparently it doesn't count.

I'm going to be very mad if I die and intend to haunt the office.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I'd quite like to play a deadly serious hospital management sim like this tbh

Theme Hospital was great but just not miserable enough for me

I'm guessing they're just guesstimating based on the percentages in China/Italy/Elsewhere

Mortality rate in Italy is something like 6% though.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

bionic vapour boy posted:

I'm feeling sort of ..... vaguely flu-y but it seems to be getting better, I worry if I self-isolate though I'm going to lose my job, my employer uses the 'Bradford Score' wank to measure absenteeism and mine's already high for having the temerity to need a lot of time off after both my loving parents died last year.

Dunno! Part of me is like "gently caress it, take the week off anyway" especially because I know at least one of my coworkers is at a high risk. I can live in my overdraft, it will suck but it's better than, like, risking another person's life, right?

Also Animal Crossing's out this week

If your firm uses Bradford score for bereavements or government mandated self isolation they are taking the piss and you need to get the gently caress out asap provided you can't get some sort of Union support. We use at my office but only for minor uncertified illness, and even then it's mostly just for safeguarding as people have a habit of disguising chronic stress as a cold.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Aphex- posted:

The bradford score is so dumb because the score gets way worse if you have lots of separate times off work, but if you have one or two periods of a few days at a time, it's not as bad. So if you're off sick for one or two days, you might as well take a couple more off while you're at it because that doesn't affect it nearly as badly.

They is intentional, the idea is that if you have a cold it discourages you from coming back while still infectious.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

dispatch_async posted:

ftse100 looking strong

*Things can only get better intensifies*

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

People need permission for that?!?

Depends but there are often local bylaws in towns and cities dating back to the industrial Revolution restricting keeping of chickens, pigs and goats for hygiene reasons.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I just found out that the Netherlands is also doing herd immunity, and when trying to explain why this wasnt a terrible idea their health minister collapsed from "exhaustion" and has now resigned.

So maybe we aren't the only gently caress ups.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

My partner is in tears because despite saying schools would shut yesterday the list of children the govt has now provided means that the entire staff (including those who are vulnerable) will need to be in to meet safeguarding rules, while teachers are also expected to be providing e learning for those who have been sent home.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Don't forget that all holiday is cancelled and they're proposing hours are extended to 6am to 10pm. Oh and there were rumours earlier it might even have to go 24/7. Nobody knows for sure though because local authorities aren't getting clear instructions from central government so it's all being winged.

Has a clear list of key worker roles even been proposed yet? As of a couple of hours ago it certainly hadn't.

Turns out "schools shut" actually means "schools open much more than before".

The guardian has leaked a list which is

-Doctors
-Nurses
-NHS staff
-Police
-Fire
-Armed Services
-Social Workers
-Highways workers (?)
-Delivery drivers
-Supermarket and shop workers
-Teachers
-TAs

If any 1 parent falls into that category the child has to carry on going to school.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

It's nice to remember that not every business owner is psychopathic shitbag.

I'm so glad I work for a firm that at the very least gets that is a good idea to present the image you're on your workers side. The owners have been transparent, mucking in to help cover people who are ill or isolating, and have been very clear they're going to be the last ones in the office and their priority is getting the most vulnerable people working at home first. At the same time they are also completely open that we're a profit making entity and they're doing this to make sure they can maintain revenue in the long term, because they get that their value comes from their workers so they need to keep us safe and on board.

I just can't comprehend the attitude of most bosses to this crisis. I think there is a serious issue that most capitalists don't get how the economy works because they are bought into their own propaganda.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Updated on the schools thing I posted last night: quantity schools are being given very wide discretion to tell parents to gently caress off and look after their kids, so the situation is looking a lot better than it was 24 hours ago.

In worse news I'm seeing a lot of panic buying being blamed on "organised groups of Asian men". So there is a conspiracy theory that Al Qaeda is hoarding our pure English toilet paper which is inevitably to going to lead to some hate crimes.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Bardeh posted:

well holy poo poo, my boss can shut us down now - I'll take 80% pay without having to do any work, yes please.

Seriously mind I was genuinely worried I might be told to lay people off soon, this is a very welcome relief because letting someone go is horrible at the best of times.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

peanut- posted:

The rave plaudits Sunak is getting for his gravitas and and sense of the moment while rolling out Corbynism are amazing.

The British left should accept reality and realise that we just need a posh guy who went to the right school to implement all the good policies and they'll go over fine.

So Keir starmer winning is probably a good thing?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Total Meatlove posted:

Suspending the congestion charge when there’s no real lockdown in place is going to lead to an influx of people travelling in from the Home Counties isn’t it

Why are they suspending it? Surely they should be tightening it?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

So work that is necessary and cannot be done from home, but no explanation as to what "necessary" means.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

bump_fn posted:

is your boss letting you that’s all

This is the thing, I can work from home but only because they've got IT working rotas to make sure the servers don't catch fire. It's that necessary or should the company be putting everyone on furlough?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Dog Pipes posted:

Call centre staff for motor and home insurers also. I work for a big insurer, investing fraud. I'm isolating until the 31st anyway but if by that point we're recording deaths in the hundreds every day, I'll hand in my cards before going back to an air conditioned office with 200 people per floor. I can get another job but not another set of lungs.

I find it very eery that someone with such a similar user name and avatar does a job that is connected to my own.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm hosting a Court of Appeal hearing from my living room over Skype this morning. Got 3 judges and 10 lawyers dialling in. Hope to gently caress it works!

lol good luck. I get why they're making an attempt with court of appeal cases but I'm trying to work out how to get a client to attend a small claims county court hearing tomorrow and wondering why hmcts is still cracking on with these little claims.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

madey posted:

Is there any goon recommended guidance on the Labour NEC CLP by-election?

I would also like this, already voted on leader and deputy but haven't done NEC yet

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Dog Pipes posted:

Holy poo poo. Steve? Is that you?

No.

I think we're complete strangers, it's just weird.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Jedit posted:

He was also extremely proud of having set the speed record for entering Cockney rhyming slang (since broken by Jeremy Hunt). I wouldn't listen to James Blunt's music, but I do like him.

Want there some urban legend that he also stopped some Americans from attacking a Russian airbase during Kosovo?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Owned

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I've got a sore throat and aching muscles and my partner is feeling lethargic and had a steadily rising temperature so I'm really looking forward to the next couple of weeks.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

Stay safe pipe smoking dog

I'm trying to finish some more batch cooking before I collapse.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Jose posted:

Oh god Rachel reeves is rumoured to be starmers choice for shadow chancellor

Can't wait for Labour to run on a platform of sensible austerity against the Tories promising to continue spending money on everything apart from the Chinese and travellers and Muslims who are being put in quarantine camps

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

zentigeist posted:

I've had a persistent cough, temperature and aches and pains so I told work I need to self isolate for a week.

The first question I got was, when are you getting tested for it?
ARE THEY JUST WILLINGLY IGNORANT??

A lot of people are just assuming you will get tested for it because that is what would happen in a sane country with competent rulers. They continue to believe this until someone they know gets ill/dies and never gets tested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I've got someone who was joining my team in a week we've had to cancel on so I'm really hoping this helps them because it's massively poo poo otherwise.