Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Prince John posted:

Try opening in an incognito tab and mashing escape as soon as the page starts to load. I'm reading it without subscribing.

What a pompous windbag.

XMNN posted:

I've read rather more of that article than I would have liked and I'm still not quite sure who the gently caress she thinks is "generation me"

It's me-llenials and you know it, regardless of how little sense that makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

mehall posted:

Apparently the government sneaked up a consultation on cracking down on travellers back in November.

https://twitter.com/giacbelloli/status/1235122117508624384?s=19

Please take a look at this and answer as best you can to help protect one of the most marginalised and denigrated communities in the UK.
If you're unsure how to answer good for them, check out the second tweet, it has a link to some tips.

Wow the questions really are shockingly bad

quote:

Q1: To what extent do you agree or disagree that knowingly entering land without the
landowner’s permission should only be made a criminal offence if it is for the purpose of
residing on it?

The linked guide is definitely worth a read:

quote:

We strongly disagree that entering land without the landowner’s permission should
be made a criminal offence in any circumstances.
This Question is poorly framed. If respondents answer ‘strongly disagree’ or
‘disagree’ that could be interpreted as the respondent having the opinion that
trespass should be criminalised in all circumstances, not only when it is for the
purpose of residing on land.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So if travellers trespass the police are just gonna seize their legally owned vehicles/homes? God is this the next 5 years? Just a quiet nonchalant slide into fascism.

I'm halfway through the response form now and it's incredible how the proposal just keeps getting more draconian the further I go.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I mean not necessarily but they'll arrest them. Unless theres later questions not quoted here that say that.

The proposal later on mentions reducing the number of vehicles required to define an encampment from 6 to 2 (a car towing a caravan counts as 2 vehicles) and suggests giving police power to seize any property belonging to someone found setting up such an encampment (or trespassing generally)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Prince John posted:

This I agree with. It was more a grumble than an attempt to justify the proposed law.

It was a pretty racist grumble though. Like to you, it's just a personal anecdote about one thing that happened once, but it's facing the same way as the tidal wave of poo poo prejudices travellers have to put up with; by airing it out, you're supporting that, you know?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cerv posted:

I can’t imagine trying to snort coke while suffering from severe respiratory problems.

I hear if you do enough of it your nose opens right up! :cocaine:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Necrothatcher posted:

You can take my HD video from my cold dead hands.

If only a certain public British telecommunications company had had plans to replace all the nation's copper with optic fibre.

Alas

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gwaint posted:

poo poo.

I was just about to move to a new address - like literally in the next three days. I don't like where I live. I'm certain my move will be better for me in financial terms and mental health.
Does this mean those plans are out? I'm an essential worker (support worker for learning disabilities) so I'll still be going out to do my job. Or am I stuck living with people who love playing music until stupid o'clock in the morning for the foreseeable future?

Seriouspost: just do it. Odds are good you won't even see a police, because we don't have any, and even if you do, these instructions aren't any clearer to them than they are for us. Who exactly are they supposed to be stopping? And from doing what? How do they tell without stopping everyone?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Boris combats claims of U turn by opting to rapidly spin in place

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Source?

For the quote, and the crossbows

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jose posted:

Pretty sure that hasn't happened and the police have confirmed it and it's just the daily mail etc blowing it up

Nah, it is happening, but as usual it's a couple of incidents here and there and the reporting makes it seem like it must be part of a trend (it's not) and there's a glut of other cases you're not hearing about (there aren't)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Was that it? Obviously it's impossible to tell because the Government announces its plans via journo twitter at 11pm.

Yeah there was I think exactly one early video of someone mentioning the "quarantine all vulnerable people for the duration" aspect of the plan before it was dropped entirely. Don't think bojo or anyone else at the top ever acknowledged it though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

minema posted:

surely it's better not to drive somewhere to go for a walk anyway. yeah the police are bastards but avoiding non-essential travel seems like an easy thing everyone can do

Genuinely not sure what harm a walk in the hills is though. If you're not coming into contact with anyone else and aren't going round alternating between touching everything/your face, where's the possibility for infection?

If it's serious enough that you could pick it up from going for a walk by yourself, then why the gently caress are we still letting people go shopping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm getting more of a Rincewind vibe tbh