Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/K_Niemietz/status/1234143082964279297?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1234532823576563713?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

RockyB posted:

The Guardian is terminally shite in a lot of ways, but slightly less shite than every other mainstream media outlet we currently have going. At least they occasionally let an interesting voice or attempt at actual journalism surface, gasping for air.

Let's be honest even 'balanced' articles from the BBC end up feeling very TERF adjacent, like their headline from this morning.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51676020

Uhhh

https://twitter.com/JessicaLond0n/status/1234606350585548801?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

mehall posted:

Apparently the government sneaked up a consultation on cracking down on travellers back in November.

https://twitter.com/giacbelloli/status/1235122117508624384?s=19

Please take a look at this and answer as best you can to help protect one of the most marginalised and denigrated communities in the UK.
If you're unsure how to answer good for them, check out the second tweet, it has a link to some tips.

Done, and now my piss is boiling.

The way that survey was worded is very obviously deliberately such that for some questions it's possible to interpret "Strongly Agree" and "Strongly Disagree" as both supporting the criminalisation of trespass, just in slightly different ways.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/theedgar501/status/1235601755519533063?s=20

When I first saw this I thought, "Hm, that's cool" but then very shortly afterwards "... this is for gammon, isn't it?".

Bet we'll see loads of companies taking their stuff back to like, 1970s branding, logos, product names, adverts etc.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Starburst.

Fruitella are pretty similar though TBF. Also Chewits. They're all the same genre.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I know, I put them there

Ha! This was legit my favourite show as a kid. Did you have a VHS of them which you digitised?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

MikeCrotch posted:

Weirdly Nottingham doesn't seem to have any Mormons but has a crapton of Jehovah's Witnesses. There is a specifically Korean JH Kingdom Hall down the road from me and they are on a bunch of streets in the city centre.

Plymouth Brethren are another odd evangelical Christian church with populations spread around the UK to some extent. There was a big group of them in Buckingham where I used to live/grew up. Sure I've mentioned them before. The local group had a thing up until about 2015 where they wouldn't use technology/computers (upon further reading this is actually a thing for the whole sect), which made them interesting to deal with as they run the local trade suppliers... so they had to do inventory, stock-keeping and stuff without computers. They seem to have abandoned that now and they have computers in the store, email addresses and an online-ordering system.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

mehall posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of that.

The method I heard recently to teach people if it's the flu is this -

Imagine someone text you right now and said they'd left £50 in an envelope for you on your front step.
If you don't go right now, someone else will probably find it.

If you don't have the energy to get up for the money, it's the flu.

For real. I had proper flu once and it was poo poo. If you don't feel like you've been hit by a truck (and I mean, literally - all of your muscles, joints and bones ache and you have zero energy at all) then it's probably not the flu.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I've got tickets for Rage Against the Machine and Tame Impala in June. They're both going to be loving cancelled aren't they?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

XMNN posted:

yeah, even after the black death and the periodic outbreaks after that civilisation didn't disappear, it was just an incredibly lovely time to be alive even in comparison to general 14th century shittiness of being alive

if anyone's looking for some quarantine themed reading material, I absolutely loved the decameron which is about a bunch of posh Florentines loving off to live in the countryside during the black death and telling stories to each other to stave off boredom.

It's genuinely funny and it was one of the first things I read that made me realise that people have always been, like, actual people. Which might sound stupid but when you read something written by some guy who died 700 years before you were born that's full of dirty jokes about woodcutters loving convents full of nuns or people tricking priests(?, it's been a while since I read it) into kissing their arseholes, it's a bit different from reading a history book or seeing a woodcut or whatever

also as with all old books, definitely get a modern translation, i.e. the penguin classics ones, I like reading things from hundreds of years ago but I'm cheap so I spent a while loving around with public domain translations of things before I realised it was way more effort than it's worth to mentally translate some 18th century guys English

Reminds me of Maeshowe's Runes - a set of Norse graffiti from around 1200, found inside of a Stone Age burial mound in the Orkneys which some vikings must have broken into. They said stuff like:

"Thorni hosed. Helgi carved."

"Ingigerth is the most beautiful of all women" (carved beside a rough drawing of a slavering dog)

"This mound was raised before Ragnarr Lothbrocks her sons were brave smooth-hide men though they were"

"Ofram the son of Sigurd carved these runes"

"Haermund Hardaxe carved these runes"

"These runes were carved by the man most skilled in runes in the western ocean"

"Tholfir Kolbeinsson carved these runes high up" (found on the ceiling)

You can see the parallels with today's graffiti, a lot of it is just like "Dave was here" and then talking poo poo about people etc.

http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/maeshowe/maeshrunes.htm

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Doccykins posted:

rip everyone in this no lobby
https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/773?byMember=True#noes

(Nadine Dorris didn't vote in the Huawei divisions)

If anybody didn't bother to click through, this was an opposition day motion on health inequalities, proposed by Corbyn. It was as far as I can see, proposing investigations into health inequalities - poor people suffering due to cuts. Nadine Dorries was in the No lobby with 300+ other total shits voting against it.

If there's any justice in the world, they all have coronavirus now. It would be the most perfectly ironic and fantastic thing to ever have happened in the history of the world.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Sorry for being a Post-Me-Own-Tweets-Dibbler again but I cba to reupload this image and the way these two showed up as the top replies to this bellend was just too perfect. (Click through to image)

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1237767024736116738?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's a loving flu, we'll get through it and some grannies will die and a few nurses will quit their NHS jobs in favour of the much less stressful cosmetic procedure industry. Life goes on whoop de doo.

The Spanish Flu in 1918 infected about 27% and killed something like 5% of the world's population.

Also:

quote:

Many individuals who get coronavirus will experience nothing worse than seasonal flu symptoms, but the overall profile of the disease, including its mortality rate, looks more serious. At the start of an outbreak the apparent mortality rate can be an overestimate if a lot of mild cases are being missed. But this week, a WHO expert suggested that this has not been the case with Covid-19. Bruce Aylward, who led an international mission to China to learn about the virus and the country’s response, said the evidence did not suggest that we were only seeing the tip of the iceberg. If borne out by further testing, this could mean that current estimates of a roughly 1% fatality rate are accurate. This would make Covid-19 about 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu, which is estimated to kill between 290,000 and 650,000 people a year globally.

So yes, it's a flu, but some flus are much worse than others. It should be taken seriously - more seriously than the British Government are currently treating it.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Josef bugman posted:

But it doesn't harm the young all that much and isn't anywhere close to a death sentence. To treat it as if the sky is falling is daft. We should still be doing more, but perhaps not getting too OTT about things.

If my Mum is unlucky enough to get it when the NHS is under pressure from cases, as a lifelong smoker and somebody who has previously had pneumonia a couple of times, she will almost certainly die.

I'm not panicking about it, I hope it's unlikely that she'll get it, but given how it's been progressing in Italy, and how many people have been dying there, and how much pressure their health service is under (and their health service is rated better than the UKs, with twice as many ICU beds per capita), the UK should be near enough shut down by now.

E: Not a dig at you Bugman but this thread quite often reminds people of stuff like "These cuts/this recession will hit the poor, weak, disabled and disadvantaged the hardest, and people including some in this thread will die" - it's a bit of a shock to see people going "Ahhh it's only a virus, whatever".

Yeah the sky is not going to fall, but it's not going to fall (immediately) with a Tory government either. It's still poo poo and we should be doing what we can to fight it.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 11, 2020

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I just went out to the local Chinese supermarket in Ottawa, and they didn't seem to be short of anything. Lots of people there wearing facemasks but eh.

Also I picked up these:

Haven't tried them yet, will report back.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Anyone who's played Plague Inc. knows you need a combination of an asymptomatic but contagious period and THEN a highly deadly phase. Also make sure you infect Madagascar early on.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Listening to the Inception soundtrack while reading the thread.

Fits surprisingly well at the moment tbh.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

an angry penguin posted:

Time to de-lurk again.

I'm disabled and have a chronic illness (plus bonus lung damage!), so I'm going to have to self-isolate. I'm so stressed and anxious over this all.

Hello Lurker!

I advise checking your local area facebook groups. Have seen on mine (well, my old one from when I used to live in the UK) that there are at least 3 or 4 people saying "If anybody is in need of anything because of Coronavirus - shopping, help or just a chat, let me know". If you get really stuck there will likely be some local people happy to help.

Also managed to speak to my Mum earlier and my parents are smart enough to be isolating (I have mentioned previously that my Mum has a history of smoking and pneumonia) so that's good. OTOH my brother and his family went out to a local pub for lunch today. Idiots.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I mean, I don't know if I'd call 80% a "vast majority". It is a majority, yes.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Pound_Coin posted:

Up till 2018 the minister in charge of drugs was Victoria Atkins. Victoria Atkins is married to Paul Kenward, Paul Kenward is the managing director of British Sugar, British Sugar is the only company with a licence to grow cannabis for medical/research purposes in the UK.

Labour leadership chat: I finally got my ballot stuff, I've gone with RLB/Burgon followed by Butler, but I don't know much about NEC candidates, who is and who is not a poo poo? I'm looking at Townsend and one other atm but don't know who.

Leigh and Lauren are the momentum slate.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Ms Adequate posted:

Truth I had it last year and it was way worse than I ever thought food poisoning could be

Agreed.

It is on my list of Things I Do Not Recommend:

Flu.
Food poisoning.
Norovirus.
Chest infections.
Sinus infections.

And I've got to be honest I'm not hearing great stuff about coronavirus either you guys.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah this is a scenario guaranteed to help the Democrats win

like a whole load of Democrat voters not turning out cause they didn't like Hillary is literally the reason Trump's currently running for re-election

Who gives a gently caress if the Dems win with Biden or we get Trump again?

This is like saying we should get Tony Blair back in charge of Labour.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Josef bugman posted:

The horrible thing is, from the perspective of what has actually happened in America, Trump has not been the worst President. Bush may actually have been worse.

I don't in any way, shape or form mean to diminish the utter horror that Trump has and will inflict on folk in the USA. But he is bad because of what he could do not neccesarily what he has done thus far. I would like to be told otherwise tbh because this line of reasoning makes me uneasy to think about.

Yeah I've been thinking this for a while. Was expecting things to be a lot worse under Trump. Not that things aren't bad, or that he isn't a colossal piece of poo poo. Mostly it's just an extension of the way things have been sliding for the last 40 years, including under previous Dems.

And no, I don't think a Biden presidency will be meaningfully different. If Biden gets in it will be a vindication of what the Dem party have been trying to do, for no meaningful change. I guess it's a bit of an accelerationist argument which I'm not generally fond of but I don't think Biden will actually make any meaningful positive changes if he does get in anyway.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Coohoolin posted:

oh cool! cheers, i'll check it out.

lol i've heard about "peter coffin's wife" before, in the context of Terminally Online Twitter mobs trying to cancel him over something or over, that is... not what i was expecting lol

Peter Coffin is a very strange individual.

He had a whole thing where he made some lovely comments about a female Asian blogger on twitter, got called out for it, and invented a Japanese girlfriend for himself to prove he wasn't racist against Asians, including making a twitter account for her and defending him, and further slagging off the Asian blogger.

He got found out and was one of the first people to be "cancelled" on the internet.

https://twitter.com/3liza/status/1242933029602910209?s=20

Also there's this:

https://twitter.com/AnAnimeGiraffe/status/1242934855291359232?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah there are lots of viruses that merrily infect two completely unrelated species and nothing else

Armadillos can be carriers of leprosy, and koalas can give you chlamydia. I am not making this up.

In other news which of you has been out with a couple of cans of paint?

https://twitter.com/TheEnglishLeft/status/1243067305099243520?s=20