Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Am I right in thinking that if you aren't formally given (and then sign) a zero-hours contract then you're on an 'assumed contract'? So any staff who work, say, 40 hours on average over the last 12 weeks are assumed to be entitled to those hours in future?

My workplace has sprung on everyone that we're all on zero-hour contracts and I am 99% sure this is total bullshit.

I'm fully expecting the workplace to close entirely, absolutely no chance of anyone being able to work from home. That's 40 people, maybe with about 25 kids, plus some looking after parents, so let's call it 70 people that this will directly impact. But hey, it's "just the flu!".

edit: I mean close entirely due to lack of work due to Covid19, I give it till a week Friday myself. If the new advice which is rumoured for Sunday involves people over 65 not travelling then it'll be about six minutes after that.

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
a girl I know from a few years ago has been posting on facebook non-stop about how this is all overblown by the media and it's all scaremongering and only 0.5% of people under 50 will die etc etc etc (I have been calling her out about the hospitalisation rate but it's fallen on deaf ears)

tonights post is pics of her by the pool as she's just flown off for "two weeks self isolation" and she's gutted that she might have to put future holidays on hold. unbelievably tempted to comment, "it's just the flu lol" but whatever.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

OwlFancier posted:

0.5% of the population of the UK is still like 300 thousand people lol.

So it's basically like saying it wouldn't matter if someone wiped newcastle off the map.

(if they are a southerner this may not elicit much response)

i know it's absolutely mind boggling. Another one posted "well if we're going to get it we're going to get it, it's just your time", I said "if your child trips down the stairs and splits their head open, and the hospitals are overloaded and there's no space left, are you going to tell your child it's just their time?" no answer to that one

and I told a friend (in real life) two weeks ago to go and do a big shop, she went loving yesterday and put on facebook that it was a disgrace that the shelves were almost empty

so loving angry

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not-coronavirus chat:

I watch freesat (nb. NOT FREEVIEW they are different and where I live there are only about 5 channels on freeview).
However, my humax box died the night before I left my old flat. After failed attempts to get a new humax box, I discovered that humax pulled out of freesat in October and all that is available is boxes for around £200.

I have got a Sky HD box and get quite a lot of the freesat channels, but not all. Also, despite it having an ethernet port, I can't connect to the internet and watch catch up via it.

My mother has a Sky HD box and gets more free channels. (When my dad was alive they used to pay for sky, but after he died she didn't want to pay for it anymore - she basically listens to the Archers and watches BBC News obsessively). Anyway, this means she watches free channels via a sky box with the old viewing card in it.

Sometimes I find a channel on my skyhd box and it says 'insert viewing card'. So can I buy a viewing card and see extra free channels? (Not interested in a sky subscription).

Or, can anyone recommend a smart tv for no more than about £150. I'm absolutely not bothered about HD (I can't tell the difference between SD and HD) though I suppose that is standard these days. I do want to be able to connect my internet up to it and watch catch ups!

If you have a friend who has Sky they should have a Sky Go account meaning you can use their Sky package as long as you have something which can download the app (console, or stream through your phone?). The basic Sky package lets you use Sky Go on 5 devices - I let a friend of mine use my Netflix and he lets me use his Sky Go login, he lets his sister uses it too and gets her Amazon Prime in return, etc. So if you know someone with Sky then might be worth asking. Quite often they don't even know they've got Sky Go as well, and if you're not using all your Netflix slots you've got something to trade, so everyone wins (except Sky). I essentially pay £5.99 for Netflix and the Sky Sports package. It doesn't have the BBC channels but you can watch them through iPlayer instead. It's a pretty good little scam.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

XMNN posted:

I live next to the cemetery, which is actually quite nice because it's effectively a bit of quiet parkland and if I have my window open I can hear owls, woodpeckers, badgers (and/or foxes?) that live in there

today I can hear two guys turning people away because the cemetery is closed to visitors for three weeks, but burials are still going ahead

according to my dad they've started digging a whole bunch of graves at the far end, will verify this on my government sanctioned exercise slot this afternoon

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-mass-grave-sites-requested-21732760

9000 mass graves, if that doesn't tell you the governments real plan nothing will

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I've decided this is the only news about coronavirus I'm going to believe for now:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1242489840068894720
Especially because I had a horrible fever, cough and loss of taste/smell a couple of months back so it suits me fine to believe it.

Crisis over, everyone back to work.

If it is true then can they explain the stats?

We've had 424 dead out of a population of 66 million, so if we assume that 40% of people have already been infected then the deaths should level out at about 1,000.

Italys population is 60 million so if the death rate is 1000/66million, or 1/66k, then they should have about approx 909 deaths. They've had 6,820 so far, and although it seems to be slowing it doesn't seem to be tailing off....

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

thespaceinvader posted:

No, this wasn't the flu, it was a dry chesty cough.

I know what the flu looks like, I've not had it since 2014. I had it during the winter olympics that year.

Influenza is a family of viruses of which there are three or four most common in each flu season and those are vaccinated against. They generally mutate slightly which is why a new vaccine needs to be developed every year (sometimes more often as the southern hemisphere has a different flu season to the northern).

One of the flu viruses going about during the 2019/20 flu season was a particularly nasty little bastard called A(H3N2) - the A stands for Australia so you may have heard it called "the Australian flu". They thought they'd got a lid on it after 2017/18 but it returned last year.

One of the symptoms is a dry, chesty cough. Sorry, but you had the flu.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/...fkUMxfDU3j7ggl4

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
edit: deleted

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 25, 2020

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

thespaceinvader posted:

I wonder why the doctor didn't mention the possibility when I went back after 6 weeks of continuous coughing at the end of January.

I can well believe it, but I didn't have any of the other symptoms I would normally associate with flu.

GPs don't tend to mention possibilites because people then insist on getting tested for it. There's little point in bothering to test you for whichever type of flu you've got or not got unless you're in a high-risk category. In which case you'd probably have been given (or at least offered) the vaccination in November.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
edit: deleted

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 25, 2020

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
My local SPAR is out of non-dairy milk (ok, “non-dairy drink”) but the fresh dairy milk shelves are full. I can only assume people are taking it because it’s all got best before dates as opposed to use by so you can keep it in a cupboard until you want to use it.

Not a huge issue for me because veganism is a choice etc etc, but I have a friend who is severely lactose intolerant and it seems a bit selfish that there are presumably now cupboards full of soya milk “for emergencies” and her and people like her have to eat their cornflakes with, I dunno, water?

I wouldn’t be pissed off about it at all if there was a shortage of dairy milk, but there isn’t!!

Edit: unless of course the oat milk supply line is the first to collapse, but I doubt it

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
I was just knocking one out and immediately after climax switched straight to the bbc news site to discover, in my warm afterglow, that Hancocks got it and that men can indeed have multiple orgasms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Welsh vulnerables, be prepared.
I've checked - the GP practice is real, the person named in the latter is as real as can be determined from a google.

https://twitter.com/MelanieLeahy/status/1245033738037334019

Well obviously it's been deleted. What did it say?