Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Dangit we need more moderates staying around to split the Biden vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wasabi the J posted:

She tried to torpedo Bernie loving Sanders on stage and you're acting like her lack of endorsement is some tacit agreement strategy.

Lol, how dare she attack an opponent in an election, that's counterrevolutionary!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That Works posted:

I don't get that last tweet about "The Establishment" and how that applies to Bernie but not... Biden?

He's saying that to Southern black voters, "the establishment" is the local Democrats who have been around forever and helped out and fought for them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
"Dirtbag left" is an I think self applied label by the Chapo types, not just an adjective-noun combination that dude came up with in a post.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

Show of hands, who thinks, between bernie and biden, that Biden has better odds of winning the GE than Bernie?

Sanders had been betting on turning out new, young voters. Biden bet on increasing black and working class white voter turnout. Right now, Biden isn't looking unlikely.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If it was at the Ritz Carlton they'll probably only be taking out other wealthy families, so I don't think you need bother with the guillotine

Yeah, my first thought when I heard about this case was "well I don't know anyone who goes on ski trips to Italy so I'm probably safe for now."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Slim Pickens posted:

Hoping NPR's market report just starts opening with toccata & fugue while poo poo keeps crashing

(If you're unfamiliar, they play "I'm in the money" if number go up, and some kinda sad piano music if number go down)

The music is "Stormy Weather" for markets down. Also, it's Marketplace which is American Public Media, not NPR. NPR's market show is Planet Money, which is run by literal Wall Street shills.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

sharknado slashfic posted:

Lol the only reason anyone cared about Live Aid was to see, like, Queen and Led Zepplin. No one gave a gently caress about Ethiopia.

quote:

BBC coverage co-host Andy Kershaw criticised the event in his autobiography No Off Switch, stating, "Musically, Live Aid was to be entirely predictable and boring. As they were wheeled out – or rather bullied by Geldof into playing – it became clear that this was another parade of the same old rock aristocracy in a concert for Africa, organised by someone who, while advertising his concern for, and sympathy with, the continent didn't see fit to celebrate or dignify the place by including on the Live Aid bill a single African performer." Kershaw also described the attitude of Geldof and his showbusiness associates as "irritating, shallow, sanctimonious and self-satisfied".

Checks out.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Retrowave Joe posted:

I don’t even remember swine flu being as bad. Maybe it’s just the more connected nature of everything now with social media (only in regards to the attention, not necessarily the actual damage)? For what it’s worth I’m 39

Swine flu had like a .02% mortality rate. It did loving suck to get though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'm pretty bummed that more liberal policies haven't won more support but kind of relieved that Sanders's inability to follow through on turning out new/young voters has been exposed now instead of in the fall.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Don Dongington posted:

As opposed to Biden's inability to turn out young/new voters which will be exposed in the fall.

Biden didn't bet his campaign on it. He didn't promise to win by doing it. Sanders did.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Democrats will not take the Senate with Biden as the face of the ticket. No way enough people are going to turn out to vote for him to actually flip the senate. Trump's voters will show up.

They clearly weren't going to for Sanders either. I guess it just wasn't going to happen and we should all Arzy for the next few months?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

much as I like this it has stdh written all over it

I definitely can see my kids saying this.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I just got a kick out of the "peloton's not so bad now that you have to stay home so hmmmmmm?????" garbage angle of that piece. Peloton is still garbage for the majority of people and just loving lol at buying a $3k bike with a subscription service instead of buying a generic exercise bike at a thrift store and a stack of fitness dvds for literally a fraction of the cost.

loving hate our consumer driven culture for useless poo poo.

No kidding. I got an old 70s/80s Schwinn exercise bike for $30 on Craigslist. It doesn't count calories or anything but I have earbuds and it has a timer so yeah I'm fine not paying hundreds.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Discussion Quorum posted:

I have a 7 month old and no matter how many times I look at the statistics for the 0-10 age bracket I can't not be a little scared. We're in the beginning of oak pollen season in Texas and every little cough or sniffle from any of us is getting a lot more attention than it would otherwise.

I have two little kids and I'm a lot less worried that the corona will get them than that they'll get it from daycare and accidentally kill grandma and grandpa.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bird food bathtub posted:

Just a little something to throw in your nearest CHUD's face when we start stacking the bodies in mass graves.

https://twitter.com/AtomicAnalyst/status/994696175575068672

https://twitter.com/SenSherrodBrown/status/1238571872779935744

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bird cooch posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/federal-reserve-cuts-rates-to-zero-and-launches-massive-700-billion-quantitative-easing-program.html

KEY POINTS
In an emergency move Sunday, the Federal Reserve announced it is dropping its benchmark interest rate to zero and launching a new round of quantitative easing.
The QE program will entail $500 billion worth of asset purchases entailing Treasurys and mortgage-backed securities.

This is about to get interesting.

How is this supposed to help people?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SquirrelyPSU posted:

To go to work or not go to work, that is the question

I wish I had that choice. School is cancelled for at least two weeks, maybe the rest of the year.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Chichevache posted:

I dont understand what this graphic is trying to convey.

If the Democrats hadn't cleared the field for Clinton, Biden would have been president and we wouldn't have muffed the disease response.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Casimir Radon posted:

I really want Donnie's current state of mind to leak. This is the worst mess he's ever found himself in and I could really use a boost right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk0TYETZ4AU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Doing this Wednesday.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SimonCat posted:

It would have given less ammunition to the Republicans to fire up their base, and the Dems have been "Vote blue, no matter who" since at least 2016, if not earlier. So what was gained by impeaching Trump?

It gives more ammunition for Democrats to fire up their base and the name of the game is turnout. Make the people who aren't Trump's base but still voted for him less likely to do so again. Make the people who voted Obama but didn't care for Hillary turn out again.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SimonCat posted:

I'm amazed/not-amazed that the Guard is still having drill. What could go wrong with bringing together dozens of people from all over the state and having them hangout in close confines for 2 days straight?

Navy reserve has cancelled everything.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lake of Methane posted:

Chicago Midway airport just announced a ground stop program lasting through tomorrow. This effectively closes the airport, which is a hub for Southwest Airlines.

Edit:

FAA: Tower at Chicago’s Midway airport is closed after ‘several’ employees there test positive for COVID-19

Good. We're currently destroying independent bars and restaurants while thousands of people continue to cram themselves into aluminum tubes after congregating in lines by the score and hundred.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1240267976059826178?s=19

Since I don't really have a reference point for this one - how bad is this earthquake?

Moment magnitude isn't as important as damage. Moment magnitude just tells you how much energy was released. An intensity scale tells you how much the ground shook. This is affected by things like the characteristics of the local bedrock.
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/uu60363602/shakemap/intensity

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

egyptian rat race posted:

I heard on NPR that net neutrality advocates are monitoring the huge upswing in data use now that so many folks are working from home and streaming entertainment. They said since most major carriers in the US have lifted data caps due to the crisis and the system hasn't melted down due to "congestion", basically the companies are full of poo poo. They're hoping to push to regulate internet service as a utility if they can eliminate the old arguments for having data caps/rationing service based on price.

Ajit Pai and his dumb loving mug have already demonstrated that arguments don't matter and it's all about enriching the telecoms.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Old Boot posted:

I don't think she'll be vying for VP. I don't get the sense she will be, anyway.

If Dems somehow take back the senate she'd make a much better Senate Majority leader. Probably not as likely now, but IDK, it's possible I'm spending way too much time on SA/Twitter listening to all the incensed yelling to get a sense of perspective on where the usual base and undecideds happen to be right now.

I think her skills and talents would place her best as a cabinet secretary.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Hey when some of you take a break fawning over Liz as your new VP girlboss or whatever, please look at what party would be appointing her replacement.

Hey when you take a break from being absolutely tiresome please let us know.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zamujasa posted:

i'm voting for the presidential candidate who most aligns with my values in november, and neither joe nor trump will be that person

"vote blue no matter who" :jerkbag:

Nobody cares what you masturbate to.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The party that kept telling the left to get lost and that they didn't need them is sure getting the vapors because they might not get the left's help. Don't worry I'm sure all those moderate Republicans Joe loves will come through.

If you're not going to vote for anything short of Full Communism Now, nobody gives a poo poo about you.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
So there won't be a vaccine for at least a year. Global societies and economies can't sustain this level of shutdown for that long or even half that long.

What's next?

Do we just decide that grandpa is going to be dead by next spring?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Tulsi Gabbard dropped out, joined the Biden armada against Bernie.

Not really news since we all figured it would happen eventually.

I figured she'd join the Republican Party.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So on a training flight today (because of course we're still flying), we got to talking about what you would spend your government issued stimulus check on if they actually implement that plan. Since we already get government issued salaries regardless of whether we get shut down, what's a good place to donate that money to in order to help people who actually need it? I was planning on the local food bank but I'm open to other ideas.

I was going to get food at places that have gone take-out only a few time a week.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Most of it, yeah.

Socialburn was pretty cool. They ate poo poo around 2008 though. I'm sure they're maga folk now though.

Stroke 9 was more my jam. Lots of mellow, closer to Everclear in musical territory than Trapt. Trapt tended to lean on the Ozzfest and Korn crowds, like limp bizkit but not quite as lovely, nowhere near Nickelback fame or sales. I easily confuse Trapt for other meh acts of the time. I think Headstrong was their only national "hit", even hoobastank outsold them.

Goddamn I feel old.

I'm old enough to not know who any of the nu-metal bands are since I was in college by then.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Some of it was okay. I turned 18 in 2000, so I spent way too much time listening to poo poo like Disturbed, Manson (until holywood, nothing since), and anything else that was just angry people yelling into microphones. Slipknot and their kind were a bit more than I cared for, so I didn't get in too deep to nu metal. I stuck to some weird bands for a while, hence Stroke 9. Also 8stops7.

loving memory lane seeing lots of shoes from me today.

I was deep into alt in the 90s and pretty much switched to college stations exclusively when bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit started getting rotation on mainstream radio.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm genuinely worried it could be accurate and that the average person is extremely low-information and just accepts what the administration is putting out at face value.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Milo and POTUS posted:

He's going to smoke Joe so loving hard. It'll be Mondale all over again

So you're saying better things aren't possible?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Democratic Party is largely not interested in changing things. Their actions and results bear this out.

And no party who is has any support. So I guess better things aren't possible in an American democracy?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Woofer posted:

What answer are you looking for here

Just get to your point

Just want to see which people are arzying because Bernie could beat Trump and bring real change and which people are arzying because America is hopeless and doesn't want change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SimonCat posted:

Since this got lost on the last page:

To be a little more constructive, let's look at AOC and Bernie. After AOC was elected the Party stated that any candidate trying to primary an incumbent from the left would not have the support of the Party. The Party also engineered the defeat of Sanders in this primary. While I obviously wanted Sanders to win, I would be much more accepting of his defeat if it had been a result of a fair process. As it was, the Party threw its support behind Biden and essentially picked a winner, much as they did in 2016.

At that point, why pretend that the Democratic Party is anything other than a club for people who enjoy being in power and will only look out for those in that circle, as opposed to an organization to facilitate the political desires of the American people?

No you wouldn't have been because you won't accept that Bernie can lose fairly.

Bernie engineered his own defeat by spending four years failing to figure out a) how to get black voters to trust him, b) how to appeal to voters over 30, and c) how to get more young people to show up at the polls.
He lost on his own. Bernie bet his campaign on increasing the turnout of the least reliable voting block. Biden bet his campaign on appealing to the most reliable Democratic voters. Bernie lost that bet. Try to accept that.