Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

what the gently caress are the las vegas raiders

A more natural name than the Los Angeles Chargers.

gently caress Spanos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

As for uniform chat, I really like the Bills current uniforms. Hopefully they burned the awful poo poo from the aughts. Just wish they would break out the ‘90s uniforms or the standing buffalo helmets from time to time.

I doubt they’ll do the 90’s uniforms anytime soon due to the NFL single helmet color rules basically stopping them from using a red helmet, but they’ve done at least one game with the old standing buffalo helmet logo every year since ‘05.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Abugadu posted:

Agreed, the Packers ditched both starting guards at the end of '04, and their next year was absolute garbage on offense.

It did give us the few games of Samkon Gado.

Worth it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Slowpoke! posted:

Isn’t it really rare to see a straight up trade in this league? The only one I can remember is Champ Bailey and Clinton Portis.

I was going to say the infamous Peyton for Brady trade Peyton Hillis for Brady Quinn, but it apparently involved some mid-late round picks. Still the funniest for a good minute.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Just play Retro Bowl on your phones, or Tecmo III on an SNES emulator.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

sean10mm posted:

I wish I knew a little more about the underlying mechanics of Retro Bowl. But so far I've noticed a few things.

1) A good DC seems to improve your defense noticeably, but you still give up tons of points even with a 5 star defense.
2) Decent QB + fast receiver is basically everything. The only time running worked decently for me was with an extremely strong running back, otherwise you almost always just eat poo poo at the LOS.
3) It seems like there's a difficulty spike baked into the game, but it's not something obvious like wining the championship. Maybe it's total wins or something. But at some point my max speed WR never gets open again on go routes out of nowhere once I've been good a while.
4) I'm not sure what having a decent OC actually does.

e: My #1 receiver has 2,600 yards and 31 touchdowns in 12 games. Last game was 9 receptions, 306 yards, 3 TDs LMAO.

Silly Burrito posted:

Screen passes to the HB for 5-15 yards every play.

Basically. You can check down to the back on almost every play and it’ll work.

Beyond that, the comeback routes on the outside are very solid once you get the timing right. For guys going deep, they don’t need to be wide open as long as the receiver is solid and isn’t double covered. Guys with high catch ratings will jump up for the ball, and usually win contested catches. I’ve been going with 2 WR and 2 TE guys, plus a star back and QB, and it’s very easy someone to eventually get open for 5-7 yards most plays. Running is a waste of time, and defense generally just needs to hold them from a touchdown once and you’ll be set...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
ROFL

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

:hmmyes:

I’d heard stories of him wearing that hat, but never actually seen a picture before now.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Saucer Crab posted:

Conveniently missing the 3 best Super Bowls he played in? :thunk:

Don’t forget the 4th best game he was ever involved in, Week 1 2008 vs the Chiefs.

Also, gently caress it, include the Miami Miracle and Fitzmagic from the last two seasons.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I’d have to go find my laptop with BigBob.gif, but I think it was 2010 or 2011. Tebow was a possibility but not playing yet, and the Raiders has Jacoby Ford and ol’ Bob lamented his lack of usage by the Raiders.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Chichevache posted:

Definitely 2010 or 2011, since it was when I first started posting in TFF. I think it was the game where the raiders long snapper got injured.

This one:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000060639/article/travis-goethels-poor-snaps-doom-oakland-raiders

Yep.

Goon Project: Rewatch the game and figure out exactly what prompted each response.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 21, 2020

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Just rerun curling. I never know what’s going on, yet I always watch.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

ketchup vs catsup posted:

He used to not be very good at calling games, but he took the internet clowning on him to heart and got much much better.

He also nearly died from hair plug surgery, got married, stopped taking everything so seriously, and got a sense of humor.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

really queer Christmas posted:

Bucks call of garret Hartley's OT game winning kick, that sent the saints to the super bowl for the first time ever, was delivered with the emotional outpouring of a boardroom speech reciting the numbers from Bob's spreadsheet.

Hes gotten much better these days though.

Same reason all the highlights of Tyree’s helmet catch in Super Bowl XLII use the team radio broadcast, rather than the TV one. Compare Buck’s call of that to Diggs’ catch against the Saints and he’s gotten a lot better.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Ehud posted:

joe buck calling a game winning TD in over time that sends the packers to the super bowl:

"RODGERS.....ADAMS..........TOUCHDOWN"

To be fair, Pat Summerall was also known for stuff like that. The difference was, he was paired with Madden, and it was amazing. Buck is paired with Aikman, who I don't dislike as much as a lot of other goons, but it's two :geno: guys instead of :geno: and :kingsley:, and Aikman has definitely gotten worse over the years.

Now I miss Madden/Summerall :smith:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
The rumor was he didn’t want to have to do commentary on Eli, but I suspect he probably doesn’t want to have to potentially bad mouth a lot of other players that he’s friends with or respects.

I also think, given how much of a film junkie he was and probably still is, he may just prefer doing stuff like he is now rather than live games.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Of course it’s Dallas. Jerrah got a new buddy for boozin’, cursin’, hookin’, and whatever other nonsense they wanna do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Kraft was just going to Thailand for a handie.