Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Meritous.
Pretty interesting bullet hell... Roguelike... Thing. Pretty good soundtrack. Also some guy ported it to the PSP, back when that was a thing.

E: Haunted Ps1 demo disc. not actually haunted if you want a collection of cool itch.io game demos with that texture-distorty, bitcrushed stank, give this one a try.

Slowflake fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

jonsicoli posted:

E: Haunted Ps1 demo disc. not actually haunted if you want a collection of cool itch.io game demos with that texture-distorty, bitcrushed stank, give this one a try.

Sauna 2000 is only available on the demo disk for now and it's TOP TEIR Haunted PS1. I can't recommend it enough if you like games like Paratopic. I was surprised to find it's actually a demo as there's plenty to find with multiple playthroughs.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Been playing Little Square Things over the past week or so. It's essentially a cross between Chip's Challenge, LaserTank and "mimic puzzles". Unlike the rest of the somewhat large genre of "grid-based block pushing games", this one distinguishes itself by regularly making you control multiple characters, often letting you sacrifice some of them, and automatically wrapping the room edges.

The game aims for a DOS-inspired aesthetic in the graphics, music and story, but thankfully it's still got plenty of modern conveniences - unlimited undo, entire worlds unlocked on a "total star" basis rather than level by level, and only requiring 250 out of 330 stars to finish the game.

It's pretty well-polished for the basic type of game that it is, and the difficulty is pitched gradually as well - it stays casual up through world 4 of 11 and only starts getting mean in maybe world 7. Levels also don't take forever, too, which is great.

The game is nominally for Windows, but I've been able to run it in Wine just fine.

Leylite fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 19, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

In case you're not aware, rock paper shotgun does a free game feature on a regular basis called priceless play. Here's today's listings.

Most important to me is the digital pet collection. It contains a homeless pigeon!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

In case you're not aware, rock paper shotgun does a free game feature on a regular basis called priceless play. Here's today's listings.

Most important to me is the digital pet collection. It contains a homeless pigeon!

Hey thanks! I'd heard of 'They Came from a Communist Planet' before, and hearing it's free to play has got me to install it.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Oooh, it's worth mentioning Exit Fate and Last Scenario by Something Awful's very own SCF -- they're both very solid RPGmaker games with a one-person development team.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/odaminowin/status/1098233795713601537

Bobby Two Hands
May 7, 2008
Don't know if self-promotion is frowned upon in this thread, but the rules didn't seem to forbid it.

I made a game, initially as a joke for a very old thread (5 years ago nearly), but have been working at it off and on, especially now that the world is in lockdown.

Shadows Behind the Throne, a political map game, revolving around getting yourself elected by deceiving AI agents, in order to doom the world and bring about an Age of Darkness. Features Deep Ones (fishmen was deemed non-gender neutral), climate change, fascism simulator 2020 and more. It is both free and open source.

https://bobbytwohands.itch.io/shadows-behind-the-throne-2

Bobby Two Hands fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 11, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Holy poo poo, I think I backed your failed kickstarter back in the day, glad to see you kept working on this!

Also as thread OP I decree that self-promo is fine, just don't spam. More free cool games is always good!

charms
Oct 14, 2012

Bobby Two Hands posted:

Don't know if self-promotion is frowned upon in this thread, but the rules didn't seem to forbid it.

I made a game, initially as a joke for a very old thread (5 years ago nearly), but have been working at it off and on, especially now that the world is in lockdown.

Shadows Behind the Throne, a political map game, revolving around getting yourself elected by deceiving AI agents, in order to doom the world and bring about an Age of Darkness. Features Deep Ones (fishmen was deemed non-gender neutral), climate change, fascism simulator 2020 and more. It is both free and open source.

Neat game. I started with the Name that gives you the Deep Ones and I was lucky enough to start a game where there was a mad archduke with a single holding next to a water tile. So the Deep Ones job was already halfway done there.

Is there any way you can find your thrall? She was on the losing side of a civil war, and didn't appear in the court of the country that took its place. The abilities I have available imply she still exists, but I can't select her and use Apoptosis or anything else because I don't know where she is.

Bobby Two Hands
May 7, 2008

charms posted:

Is there any way you can find your thrall? She was on the losing side of a civil war, and didn't appear in the court of the country that took its place. The abilities I have available imply she still exists, but I can't select her and use Apoptosis or anything else because I don't know where she is.

Hmm, no, there isn't yet. I'll add it into the list for the next version. We have a bunch of time to churn out new releases, now that the world's on lockdown.

StrixNebulosa, thanks for the support those many years ago. Kinda glad it stayed small and not taken up all my time, have now almost completed a PhD, and I like having this game as a stress-free thing to tinker with when the urge strikes, rather than feel like an obligation. Will keep my spam to a minimum.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Bobby Two Hands posted:

Is there a way to see what the world temperature is? I chose the name that would let me cool the world down with each battle. Cool game!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bobby Two Hands posted:

Is this the project that spun out of the thread for That Which Sleeps?

Bobby Two Hands
May 7, 2008

Big Scary Owl posted:

Is there a way to see what the world temperature is? I chose the name that would let me cool the world down with each battle. Cool game!

Each individual hex has its own temperature, which the powers very slightly reduce per battle. Meant to be a slow climate change over the course of the game, with the map's habitable zone slowly moving south as the frozen north descends, although the targeted power can do some decent damage to a city's habitability in a single cast.

Len posted:

Is this the project that spun out of the thread for That Which Sleeps?

It is. I've been fiddling with it ever since, and keeping it open source in case someone with some real free time, or inclination to make it into a full game, ever arises to complete the dream of a real working That Which Sleeps.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It seems really neat although I'm going to have to dump a lot of time into it to learn. I would kill for A) The ability to drag and scroll with MMB and B) The ability to turn off edge-scrolling.

Really excited to get into it. It looks fantastic and the theme is one I'm a huge fan of.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Couple of big Tiberian Sun mods turned standalone games. Dawn of the Tiberium Age is an expanded remake of the original C&C and Red Alert.

Meanwhile Twisted Insurrection takes place in an alternate Tiberian timeline where NOD won the first war.

Both games feature their own singleplayer campaigns, skirmish modes, and multiplayer.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 15, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nitomatta/status/1250108112763097088

Chex Quest remake is coming free to Steam

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Mordja posted:

Meanwhile Twisted Insurrection takes place in an alternate Tiberian timeline where NOD won the first war.

This is just a link to the image blow it, not the mod.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This might be the correct link? https://www.moddb.com/mods/twisted-insurrection

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How is it that they are able to release these as standalone downloads? Not that I'm complaining

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, whoops!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How is it that they are able to release these as standalone downloads? Not that I'm complaining
The C&C games up to TS were released as freeware years back and these two mods are building off of that engine. As well as a bunch of community enhancements, of course.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Guess what just hit Steam, baby!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/638490/Soldat/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's also a demo for Soldat 2, but that might end up being paid? I guess the original had a free and a premium version so maybe it'll follow that same route.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I gotta say that while I love Soldat in a LAN setting I'm not sure I could bear going into online matchmaking and getting destroyed by people.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cross posting to this thread because I'm not sure if "had to buy a box of Chex" counts as paying money or not

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Do you know how many hours of AOL that came with? Pays for itself.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There are a tonne of Freespace 2 mods and many of them are completely standalone. What this means is all you have to do is install the Knossos launcher and download them through that. Here are some of the big ones.

The Babylon Project is one of the first TCs released from the game and adapts Babylon 5 dogfighting to the FS2 engine. I never watched the show so I've no clue how accurate it is but it's well worth a look. Comes with a bunch of short campaigns and one-off missions.
Another tv-show-made-game, Diaspora is a Battlestar Galactica Mod. Short but sweet.
Wing Commander Saga is something of a fan-remake of the WC original games, featuring a large, fully-voiced campaign complete that probably retells that story. I dunno, never played those old titles.
Solaris is more of a military sci-fi game, currently only the first 10 missions have been released. It uses a similar combat engine to Diaspora, meaning no shields and the ability to engage semi-Newtonian physics.
Finally, you've got Wings of Dawn: E1&2, which is anime as all hell. It's probably also my favourite FS2 mod and that includes Blue Planet because of how wild it goes with its mission design and bossfights and missile swarms. Definitely worth a go!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordja posted:

There are a tonne of Freespace 2 mods and many of them are completely standalone. What this means is all you have to do is install the Knossos launcher and download them through that. Here are some of the big ones.

The Babylon Project is one of the first TCs released from the game and adapts Babylon 5 dogfighting to the FS2 engine. I never watched the show so I've no clue how accurate it is but it's well worth a look. Comes with a bunch of short campaigns and one-off missions.

WATCH THE TV SHOW PLEASE https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925635

Bobby Two Hands
May 7, 2008
Don't know if it counts as spam to repost my game, but it's been a while, so I figured it's probably cool?

Since last time, we've added in agent-based gameplay, moving this project towards being a full open-source That Which Sleeps remake. Featuring new gameplay video about the new agents, because it turns out this kind of game is really complicated and difficult to learn. (As I myself discovered trying the newly-early-access game "Secret Government".

Video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQYsR7_hR4

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sega released some free games recently but this thread got forgotten about

Saoshyant posted:

For anyone who missed out those four Sega mini game freebies, you can actually still install/claim them due to how Steam works. Just use those links:

steam://install/1368440
steam://install/1368450
steam://install/1368430
steam://install/1368460

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Bobby Two Hands posted:

Oh cool, I just got this a few weeks ago and really enjoyed playing it. The strategy is a little beyond me but I remember admiring what a unique and cool game this was. Nice work!

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Here's a long Twitter thread covering a lot of fangames, standalone mods and other free games:
https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1365191991072600066

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If you own Portal 2, Portal Reloaded is a free standalone mod offered through Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1255980/Portal_Reloaded/

Typical portal puzzles and humor, except now you also have a third portal that sends you through time. All puzzles bring you back and forth from a clean/perfect Aperture Science building to a decaying/wrecked one. Back to the Future time travel rules.

It's very polished and offers at least 4 hours of content. I saw some reviews with up to 10 hours. Depends on you, really. The puzzles are more difficult than those in Portal 2.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 21, 2021

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Carpator Diei posted:

Here's a long Twitter thread covering a lot of fangames, standalone mods and other free games:
https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1365191991072600066

Wow, so glad darkmod is still active and thriving. After the disappointment that was "UBISOFT™ TH4IEF™" It's good to know the thief legacy lives on.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

GyverMac posted:

Wow, so glad darkmod is still active and thriving. After the disappointment that was "UBISOFT™ TH4IEF™" It's good to know the thief legacy lives on.
I was similarly amazed when I found out that Mushroom Kingdom Fusion is back in active development; I first encountered that one over ten years ago, and the dev team completely fell apart at least once. But now they seem to be making good progress, and they're even revamping the old levels to address criticism about the level design (well-deserved criticism, to be honest).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013
Remnants of the Precursors

Checked back in with this OG Master of Orion remake recently. Seeing as it had me up till dawn with the "one more turn - then bed" syndrome I'd it has that old magic down pretty well.

It's in late beta and there is some java jank but with the proper settings it can take you back to the 90's easy, no DOS Box required. Lots of customization on top of it so you can go hog wild too.