Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The menus, reloading scenarios etc. seems much snappier this year on next gen which is nice. Only played a little last night but the hitting feels a bit better too. Hopefully theres more singles and doubles this time around vs the pop out or homer fest that a lot of games last year were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Pitchers always drain fast on 3 inning games. I don't think that's changed?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

MJBuddy posted:

Low key I think the collections and early cards in general are modest compared to last year, but I don't mind the creep to 99 being a little slower

Last year was my first time playing the show but from what I remember I disagree. I've already got 3 90 rated players in the outfield and a diamond and some good golds just off the program. I never spend money on these games. Oh yeah and 90 Chapman in the bullpen. I think my team is way ahead of where it was last year and I haven't played all that much.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

maniacripper posted:

Am I missing something but did they remove the vibration feedback for classic pitching? Like the edges of the zone used to vibrate as you got closer s o you could position your pitches but wtf.... Same thing with the release timer, maybe its my controller?

Check your batteries. Its still there

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'll list some players doing good for me that aren't super high rated and you guys can throw in some too. I'm planning on building an all Dominican team like last year but I'm working with what I have at the start. So far I've got four players batting immensely for me. In no particular order- Will Smith (catcher), the card feels almost broken as it did last year, except it feels even better than last year. Honestly, ignore his lefty hitting stats, they aren't as great as his righty ones but they're still like 80% of the way there and much better than the stats suggest. He's very very good. Stanton is my bench bat right now and despite having 90 rated players from the program I could use, he wont be replaced anytime soon. Hits both sides very well and I'm always confident at bat with him. My friend said Stanton is doing work for him as well. Haniger is super solid at bat and will unfortunately probably move to my bench to make way for Vlad Sr. but grab him out of that pack if you need a RF or a bench bat. Lastly Teoscar Hernandez Has been great for me all around- at the plate and fielding and I have no intention of taking him out of the team anytime soon despite being an 83. The rest of my players are playing quite average for me, some not so great. The 90 program Cron has been a disappointment and I'm gonna look for a new 1st base player soon.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 14, 2022

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Despite me playing this game pretty casually and not spending money on packs I pulled Trout last night from a standard gold pack. When would be the best time to sell him for max profit?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I'm on the fence about the fancy Marte I pulled that everyone and their granddad seems to be using, if they have it.

Switch hitting with insane contact and vision? Hell yeah. But 79 power (without parallels) and 65 speed? That hampers my enthusiasm for the card. Not sure if I should be playing him or not.

Marte is the best hitter on my team after Trout. 65 speed is fine and if you're really worried about him in the outfield he has 2nd base as a secondary. He gets so many hits

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

My main squad so far. I have a "better squad" I could put together but I'm doing the all Dominican Republic theme again this year and it's really much more fun than using the best players available.

I did the Yankee collection very fast to get Gary Sanchez and that was a good/lucky move. Catcher is the weak point for DR players so I wanted him in quick. I think Stanton was 20k when I got him. I also got Ramirez at like 88 rated too. Players worth noting- Some people might stray away from Tatis cause he's been injured but he's as broken as last year, if you used him then you will know what I mean. Normal contact homers all day long and rapid. Ramirez, Marte, and Tatis were neck and neck for my best hitter and now I think after going from FOTF Devers to Award Devers he's sealed his spot as the best. Marte is the most solid hitter in that he gets on base the most, great contact can keep you in an at bat vs a lefty or righty for a long time. Ramirez has the benefit of switch hitting and traits that lead to bombs like tatis. All four are excellent and they gave Devers good defense now. Pujols is just a step below those four. Everyone else is solid but nothing to rave about. Surprisingly Cordero despite being the lowest rated is playing above his card rating. Marichal is great but requires some craft to use, I'll always love a pitcher with a good screwball. Jhoan Duran might be the best closer I have including 95 rateds. outlier fastball and sinker, great pitch mix, good curveball.

I have non DR players on the bench and bullpen but starters I try to keep the theme. Oh Also 92 Nelson Cruz is my bench bat v leftys and he's really good at that.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

the_american_dream posted:

Is there some kind of vision bonus or anything for doing power swings? I never actually try them unless I’m doing the Hit a Homerun challenge and even then only once an ab or so

Power swing lowers your inner PCI and I think Outer PCI as a trade for adding more power to your hit.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Can someone explain DD this year? It looks like there are a ton of 99s day 1. Are people capped to using a certain number of them or will there be people with money with full 99 squads day 1. I don't get the system at all.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Spoeank posted:

The idea is to diversify the usable cards so that people don't just run into god squads when starting out. The day 1 99s are only viable for the first two "seasons" and then get rotated out. Everyone can have all 95-99s pretty quickly, which seems to be the goal

I kinda hate this. Ratings inflation. Seems to hit every sports game. I'd like to have real life cards be usable for quite awhile and then the power curve increase over time. Some of the most fun I had was the tournament early on two years ago where the overall team rating was around 80.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 24, 2023

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Random trick I learned from a youtuber:

In any pitching moment that doesn't have "Do not give up a walk" as a requirement, always intentionally walk the first batter because it makes your windup so much faster and you can even slide step if you want since CPU can't hit and you will clear the moments way faster

Slide step?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Alright I still dont get the set business. Someone please explain it to me. Core cards can be used all year, set 1 can only be used for 35 more days.... So what's the point in grinding for/buying set 1 cards if theyre unusable in a month. Wouldnt it be a way better way to spend time and coins on good core cards via the market and collections? I know you can lock one card past the set 1 but I always run an all Dominican team and I'm gonna have the 97 WBC Gary Sanchez locked all year cause its the only position DR is weak at and well the card is really good (Jose Ramirez live series is excellent again btw, switch hitter with 100 quirks that make him way more dangerous than the stats suggest).

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Set 1 can be used until Set 3 is out, it's always going to be the current set AND the last one

That's confusing. Still annoying though that in two months cards you like might be unusable. I still think I'm gonna focus on getting and leveling good core cards. I did the collection for 86 Dibble last night. His 84 I used all game last year. His 86 is core and a captain card too. 102 fastball 91 cutter and 85 slider is incredible for messing with people's timing.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 7, 2023

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I did the whole WBC set cause well, WBC was really fun and is good for my DR team + some of those japanese guys will never get a card in game again so its cool theyre available. Then I did the one TA with Devers and Wander. Now ill try to do more collections and live series buying. I hope they dont sink Tatis
live series rating because of his suspension. His cards are so good.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Devers is really good again btw. And seems like you face a ton of righty pitchers atm and he hits left.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I packed live series shohei which is cool but... the card is weirdly underwhelming for who he is irl and a 95 rating. His pitching stats are pretty average and missing some of the great quirks his 99 wbc card has. And while his hitting is good, it's not great and his fielding stats are really low despite him being able to play there secondary. He would've been great last year when pitchers hit but with the dh... he seems just ok? Lots of better pitchers and hitters that are easy to get. Kind of a shame. Am I missing something. I'm thinking of selling him and buying Sasaki or another really good card.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Check the parallel experience tab on his card. He will continue to accrue stats as you use him, I believe

Also that's core so you can use him all year. WBC expires in July

Every card gains stats when you parallel them. I don't think his card is different from any other card in the game. I know wbc expires but you can always lock one expired card all year and well look at Sasakis stats... absolutely crazy. Also I kinda want to collect all the non mlb Japanese cards cause i watched the wbc and it was great and they might never be in the game again.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

I am giving the game a try because it is on gamepass. The only thing that eludes me is Pitching; Still trying to get used to it and find a scheme that works with me. Right now I am between the Meter and the Pinpoint pitching.

Also, is there any advantage the PS5 version has over the Series X version?

I was reading ps5 is worse online yesterday. Something with input lag or something.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I always make Dominican squad and use it mostly as my primary.

*I am aware Robert is not dominican. That 99 Julio Rodriguez card is too steep for me rn. I might put his 85 live in before I do seasons but his defense looks dreadful. The highlights are Gary Sanchez, Wander, Segura, Ramirez and Ortiz. With the bench I can give Captain Ortiz a small contact r, power r, and clutch boost which is cool. Devers has been very average for me weirdly and I just got Cano and he will take his spot. Teoscar hits the worst poo poo all the time then a random bomb, very baffling player. But yeah, Wander is so drat good, switch hitting and just gets everything, would be in any team I have right now.

This is the second team I'm using a lot of to try out captain boosts. Bryce Harper's boost is +15 contact r, +20 power r, and +10 clutch which is pretty crazy. Harper with full boost has been my most consistent homer hitter by a long mile, he's really good. Chili Davis boosted is a great DH, switch hitter with high stats everywhere and good quirks. The boost takes soriano from spotty and average to quite good. Fielder is great vs righties, avg vs left. I need to also say Dee Gordon is incredible. I first tried him to level up a bit as a bench runner since he has 95 speed 95 steal, 98 bunt and drag bunt but I've just kept him around because he is the most consistent base hitter I've used. The one issue was his power r was so low it would get caught by the infield sometimes but the +20 boost fixed that. I swear he either bloops over the infield for a base or splits the infield for a double or triple all the time. His hits avoid the the defense like no one else I've used. Gonna be in my teams or bench all year.

Oh yeah, I'm also collecting all the Japanese WBC guys and flipped the Ohtani I packed for Sasaki..... Sasaki is unreal lol. Kinda crazy he's on the market this early I dont think any pitchers come close to him, especially starters. Has a fast windup too which is nice.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 14, 2023

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I'm loving getting to see some other lineups. Dee Strange Gordon was a hit machine for me, too. But I couldn't justify giving him a starting spot in ranked. Right now, I'm 8-5 and just broke into All Star. I played 99% of last year in All Star, before I switched to PCI hitting. As long as my record in positive, I'm happy.

Keep him in man. Have him at leadoff and steal second with him, he basically never gets thrown out. Then you have a really good chance at a run. Also when the rotation comes back around his bunting can come in handy (bunting someone home).

e- I was also reading online today his dragbunt is like 100% sucessful if you time it right lol. I rarely bunt with him despite the stats cause his swing is that dang good.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 14, 2023

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

So I never really do collections in these games (maybe small ones here and there). I don't put in the time and I like theme teams anyways. On top of that it seems like this game will be making GBS threads out 97-99 top end cards in each set so I'm thinking, should I just sell all my cards I don't plan on using asap? I think there's no reason not to right?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Is there anyway to sort you inventory by cards you own that are also sellable. The show seriously sucks at inventory management compared to say Fifa.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm stating the obvious here probably but Sasaki is incredible and probably the best SP in the game. I have him at p4 and when you look at his stats he basically has high level closer stats combined with elite sp stats. I play mostly coop with my friend and he always locks down the SP spot for me. Oh yeah also I love SPs with quick windups which he has. If I were you I'd also grab that hoffman captain card, he boosts the h/9 and k/9 on RPs and a lot of good RPs dropped this week which is made him more valuable. Turns players like 91 Loasiga from good to Great. I believe it's +15 to each stat. I have RP 95 soto in there and with the boosts his stats are insane cept his control is so outrageously bad for me. So bad I think he'll lose his spot despite being a 95 rated then captain boosted lefty.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm gonna try that japanese 89 WBC pitcher with the 67 mph curveball tonight. Will probably get destroyed but should be fun.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 22, 2023

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Still too early to tell but 89 live series tatis feels like his great live series from last year so far. Hitting way better than most these 97s they've handed out so far despite what the stats and quirks say. Glad I got him now at ~35k if people start to realize how good he is/he performs irl he'll go up a lot.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 24, 2023

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

KDdidit posted:

Also that TA henchman Dee Gordon is insane for a gold card, along with the 89 Brandon Lowe card.

I've been trying to tell people about Gordon lol. He's my lead off still in ranked (and will probably be all year). He is a single and double machine + the stealing and bunting. You really need to use him to understand how he can turn poo poo contact on a pitch into a base almost always, it's unreal. Stuff you would pop out with with other batters he teleports to wherever the fielders aren't. I have him p3, very close to p4. He gets a boost from allstar bryce harper (who is incredible btw) that gets him more double and triples vs righties. He doesnt need it but the allstar bryce captain team is a fun team to use.

Oh yeah also I got Sasaki up to p5, he's so drat good. Just look at those stats topped out

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 26, 2023

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

My friend who plays a bunch told me theres gonna be a big stub or pack sale today, forget which, but it should crash the market it bit. I'll use that opportunity to grab Trout. Trout always rules and if im spending a lot of coins its gonna be on a core card atm.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Of course I shelled out the 100k for Edwin Diaz last night.

I still need Trout, Ohtani, Judge, Arenado, Goldschmidt, and DeGrom.

But with how Arenado has been playing, he might be cheaper pretty soon.

It didnt drop much and I berated my friend lol.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 29, 2023

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I've started messing around with captain cards a lot more recently and they are really fun. They just need to tune the boosts and requirements on them better. I'm using a team with Mets captain Alonso at first, the new 95 topps now Nimmo in CF, the 95 charisma vogelbach at DH and the WBC 99 lindor at SS then my bench is random mets and I just filled the rest of the team in with good players. Alonso boosts any Met, not just live series. The 4 starters and 4 on the bench gets me to a level two boost which is +10 power right +10 Power left, +5 clutch, -3 speed. The speed is slightly annoying but its a solid boost overall and I like that it hits right and left, boosts like harpers or rendons can be fun but they all stack one side so can be negated easily. Lindor hits switch and its turned his already great card into incredible, youre guaranteed a boost and to be batting a favorable side no matter who they put in. The reliever captain is probably easily the best with all the good RPs now and I'm looking into trying the captain captain and cover athlete captain because live series Tatis is already great (about to get him to p3). I'll probably grab 3 more good mets eventually to get the level 3 boost. They have a lot of good cards and will continue to get more.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 30, 2023

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

It's fine to have some slow guys here and there, some of them will be the best hitters in the game. Stats dont tell you everything so good to experiment and see who you get on with. 92 Ortiz for instance has some of the best stats for me out of any elite hitter I've used. I mentioned I'm using a captain Alonso mets team and ditto for Alonso being an insane hitter whos slow. He's only outshone on that team by boosted Lindor who is the best hitter I've used all year. I'm only using the level two boost because there arent enough elite mets that I like yet but the level two boost is great and turns Lindor into a joke (+10 power left +10 power right, +5 clutch iirc)

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 9, 2023

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Oh yeah, been using Tyler Rogers (the 92 rated submarine pitcher) online and he's hilarious. People are having so much trouble getting any contact off of him. He also gets a boost from captain hoffman and if you use a basic pitching style like me because you dont wanna learn pinpoint his bb9 and control are both essentially maxed out.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 11, 2023

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

e-

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I read this thread today and it's pretty interesting

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBTheShow/comments/13es0f5/my_advice_for_pitching_this_year/

There's stuff about pitching in there but the TLDR is -

"If the batter does not have the "Bad Ball Hitter" perk, the game has penalized exit velocities on pitches just off the black incredulously. Pitching to contact, just off the plate or just above or below the zone, results in maximum 80 MPH contact it seems this year to all batters without this quirk. I am sure you've swung at a fastball above the zone with near perfect timing, center PCI, and received your 78 MPH lazy line-out/flyball to the outfield. I'm also sure you've fallen in love with the WBC Francisco Lindor card, which despite only having around 100 contact/power, seems to hammer everything for you. He was the catalyst that really proved that "Bad Ball Hitter" is an absolute meta quirk this year. In my experience, even a strike thrown on the black seems to get buffed by this perk versus cards without it."

and some comments

"Oh this totally explains why mofos are able to hit every slider slightly off the plate for a homerun but I crush a fastball slightly above the zone and it’s a lazy fly ball."

"That explains why Lindor absolutely rakes for me when I crush letter-high fastball but then I hit a lazy fly ball with another hitter with higher power on the same exact pitch. Thanks for the advice, I'll probably make some changes to my #1 team"

Apparently good contact outside the zone has been nerfed this year compared to previous years which makes the bad ball hitter perk much more valuable. I noticed this myself but I thought it was simply more me having bad zone discipline. So i'm good on timing and tracking but ill swing at stuff outside a lot and thought guys with that quirk would help my case but it seems like its even more useful than that. I checked and some of my other favorite hitters have this trait like captain Alonso. Might be something to check and switch up your team with. For instance I benched Segura (who has the trait) in my DR team despite him hitting well for me because a bunch of infield 99 speed shiny DR cards came out recently like Pena and Mateo but they aren't hitting for me like he used to so I'll probably put him back in somewhere.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Walk off in the park run online at polo grounds in the event. Great feeling
https://i.imgur.com/US8XBjL.gifv

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I'd say 75% of my PCI success is not swinging outside of the zone while predicting where I'm getting pitched. I feel like most cards probably shouldn't be able to hit tanks that are a foot outside the zone.

I want my bad habits rewarded lol. But it's not just that, this year perfectly lined up swings on fastballs literally just outside the top of the zone will be weak popouts now without the trait apparently. Anyways Trout went down after I got him last week and despite playing well (So I think). I think I'll sell him and just get s2 cards that catch my eye. It's clear that live series cards are just meant as collection gatekeepers this year and not to challenge other cards on the power curve.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 12, 2023

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I packed Goldschmidt and basically am one Arenado away (35k) from completing the NL Central collection and getting Honus who would be really fun in my pirates team (really good bunting and stealing and would be like 95 speed with the captain boost). I think I'm gonna do that and then have a long term goal of collecting all the NL guys and getting Sosa (who fits into my DR team and well.... every team) then stopping my collecting there. Valenzuela would be fun to have too and now that theres the mexico captain he'd probably be really good.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Is there anyway to sort your cards by which ones are sellable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Log posted:

You absolutely have to get the app. That makes selling dupes easy as hell.

Yeah but I have a bunch of non dupe special cards I want to offload and they have the same card design as the thousands of nonsellables.

Stefan Prodan posted:

it's actually kinda insane how bad the interface still is for interacting with cards and inventory

It's really poo poo lol. I'm gonna have to go through my cards one by one and make a list I guess. The whole market is awful what this placing orders and stuff. Fifa does a lot of things worse but MLB would do well to learn from them when it comes to card selling and organization.

Also does anyone else think set 1 cards will start to plummet soon? Sasaki has fallen quite a bit but I'm wondering if i should sell him now for like 90 then possibly buy back at 40 or whatever down the road.