Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

No lie, as much as I loved these books when I was a kid and read the ones I had obsessively, it's wild what has stuck in my memory and what hasn't.. For example, I remember the Elimist showing up in this book, but none of the major plot beats in the aftermath, while at the same time, lines like this:

quote:

<I smell humans.> Ax confirmed.

<Humans don't smell.> I said, only half-joking.

<Oh, humans smell.> Ax argued. <It's not a bad smell. Sort of like an animal we have back on my planet called a flaar.>

....will bubble up through my lizard brain literally at least once a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I was pretty :negative: that we're not doing the next in-sequence book yet since it's the first Ax book but man this is a nail biter. The only Megamorphs book I'd read is the dino one so this is all brand new for me.

Nthing the theory that this woman is one of the former Gap employees guarding the Yeerk pool entrance and thus one of the redshirts they let starve after the Kandrona generator was destroyed. Side note: I worked at The Limited for a brief period of time about a decade ago so it's wild to hear it name dropped so much in this series, especially since it went belly-up several years back. It really was huge in the 90's.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

quote:

The Alien-Chapter 9

Humans have very odd tastes. They think their music is beautiful. They are wrong. It is awful. All of it. And they completely ignore their greatest accomplishments: the cinnamon bun, the Snickers bar, the hot pepper, and the refreshing beverage called vinegar. - From the Earth Diary of Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill

As cliche as this kind of framing device is, I really love some of these chapter headers. :3: I'm a book or two ahead and definitely took screenshots of a few of these while reading this one because they really are charming.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I agree with you about Cassie beating herself up way too much. I think it’s more of a manifestation of the trauma she’s just experienced in the colony. Like if she hadn’t just gone through that near-complete ego death and trying so desperately to cling to something, anything like a hard principle she can confidently say “yes, this is who I am and what’s important to me.” It feels like the....maybe not hypocrisy, but contradiction?....of her agonizing so much about a litter of four or five skunk kits dying as a result oof her indirect actions versus essentially wiping out thousands of life forms wouldn’t consume her emotionally if she hadn’t just lived through that.

I don’t remember anything from this book and haven’t read ahead, but it definitely feels like she’s gonna do something really loving stupid as a result of her guilt to try to tip the cosmic scales back in balance like she did in the first Megamorphs book.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 13, 2020

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I guess I’m the opposite, Cassie was always my favorite of the core team as a kid because I identified pretty hard with the “awkward tomboy who loves animals” characterization. I do get frustrated with her now as an adult reading it and her ethical ennui but hey, she’s a literal child soldier.

Let’s face it tho if your fav is not the best cinnaboi Ax then why are you even reading this series

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

That is the most 90's middle school thing ever and I love it.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I got my copy of the graphic novel last week and just want to point out that despite the context, the photo of Elfangor's family on his ship where wee Ax is being held in his parent's arms like how I hold my dumb cats is extremely :3:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

This makes me wonder about infants and the blade tail. Does it grow out later in life? If they're born with it I'm surprised they survived as a species

I vaguely remember something like this being addressed later on maybe in the Hork-Bajir or Andalite Chronicles? but it's been so long since I've read them, so I guess we'll find out when they come up.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Bobulus posted:

You know, it just occurred to me, with Cassie acquiring Rachel: why has no one acquired Ax yet? Ax's two big contributions to this team are computer skills and acting as a decoy. They really should have a means of doing both at once.

That's a good point, especially if they want to keep up the ruse of being "Andalite bandits."

Also:

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Llama Marco rules

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

quote:

WHUUUMMMPPPFFF!

I hit the ground. I hit it hard. The sides of my Taxxon body burst open from the impact. And in a flash, the other Taxxons were on me.

<Demorph!>

But I couldn’t possibly morph quickly enough. Red Taxxon mouths drew back and rose up high, plunging straight down into my shattered flesh.

The pain of the fall had been dulled by sheer shock. But this pain … this pain I felt. I have never known anything so terrible. In my darkest nightmare I’ve never even imagined …

<Ahhhhhhhhhh!> I screamed. But just as loudly, I screamed, <Demorph!>

It was a race. A race to see whether I would die before I could demorph. Again and again they ripped at me. But now my Taxxon flesh was shrinking away from them. It was changing. Becoming some strange, new meat.

It would all depend on how the morph happened. If my head emerged too soon, the Taxxons would simply rip it off. I didn’t need my head. I didn’t even need my legs.

I needed my tail.

If any Andalite in all of history needed his tail, I needed mine. Right NOW!

<Ahhhhhhhhhh!> The pain was unbearable. I was delirious, unable even to think, to focus, to keep track of what was happening to me.

It wasn’t going to work! I had been wrong to hope. Wrong to imagine I could survive. But then … I felt some distant part of me move. And I sensed a shudder pass through the ravenous Taxxons.

Holy poo poo. :stonk:

This book is so good but man I am very glad I missed this one as a kid.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed by the characterizations in this book so far, mainly dialog. This in particular was pointed out to me as an extremely American verbal tic the first time I lived abroad (as is "okay", for that matter). Ax seems like a more believable and 'alien' alien in the main series than Elfangor does in this book. Even if this story is meant to be from the POV of an Andalite addressing Andalites, he seems way too informal, slangy, and Americanized to read as a proud warrior alien military cadet, both in dialog and in his narration. He repeatedly highlights being caught off-guard by humans turning their heads to look at things, which, though it is a nice touch, also shows that his viewpoint isn't just being anthropomorphized. It feels sloppy.

I wonder if this story wasn't written much earlier than its publication date would suggest relative to the main series books, considering the lead-time that would be necessary to get the three serialized volumes of it into the Scholastic mail order catalog.

Agreed. Ax's voice in his first (and only so far) book is so wildly different than Elfangor's here that it is almost jarring. Maybe it really is a stylistic choice since the whole theme of Ax's book is how othered he feels from the humans he's working with, but he still manages to come across as a relatable character. One scene that comes to mind is the one where he's performing his morning ritual out of habit and how well the text conveys his feelings of frustration and hopelessness without having to resort to modern human colloquialisms like saying "man this is stupid." If I squint hard, I can sort of see this being believable if Elfangor is telling his first-hand account at some point during or after his time living on Earth as a human, among other humans for years and would be far more familiar with human speech patterns and mannerisms, and probably incorporating them into his own recollections unconsciously. But, since we don't really know what the framing device is for ANY of these books and who these characters are giving their accounts to, that's hard to say.

I'm giving this book the benefit of a doubt because the plot is so good, but it almost takes me out of it.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Epicurius posted:

But in addition to all the small objects, there were two much larger things. One was a shiny yellow-painted creation with four black wheels.

(Oh, this is definitely going to be either a Camaro or a Mustang....)

:allears::allears::allears:

We have an '86 Mustang GT convertible (with the seats removed at the moment because the carpet was just replaced) and this is now all I will picture when I look at it.

e:

Tree Bucket posted:

This was far too much fun to draw.

e: and the worst possible snipe

:hellyeah:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

welp.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

quote:

<Did that scare the pee out of you, Ax-man, or doesn’t that kind of thing bother you Andalites?>

<I am as peeless as you, Tobias, my friend.>

:lol:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

So I just caught up on six months' worth of thread backlog, basically from meeting the Chee to the Leeran planet to the David arc to the HB Chronicles to....whatever the hell is going on now.

Boy howdy what a ride.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Nthing the appreciation, Epicurius. Keeping momentum up on a multi-year thread like this with near-daily posts is no small feat. :cheers:

still think we need a gangtag

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

spotted in the wild

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Okay so I’m a few chapters behind, but I wanted to jump in to show off this print I bought recently. I wonder if the artist is an Animorphs fan or just happened to depict a reenactment of the Jake vs David fight by sheer coincidence.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I just binged the last 40% of this thread after losing track sometime after MM3. Hope you’re doing okay Epi.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Not sure how it’s possible to lose 80 gallons of fluid while in a Yeerk pool but ok?

glad you’re on the mend!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

When I was getting caught up on this thread and the post count stopped going up, I assumed the series had finished and I had missed out getting to read the endgame with the rest of the thread. I’m glad that I will actually get to finish it out with y’all and I am very glad you’re doing better.

Epicurius posted:

Meanwhile, the Andalites who started the series as the unambiguous good guys, but now they're more ambiguous. While other people have said it, this book is good at avoiding "Star Trek syndrome", where all aliens of one race are the same. These aliens have politics, factions, and differ in beliefs. They're people, in other words.

This definitely makes sense when the framing positions the Andalites as an analogy for :911:, in a series written by :911: author(s).

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

quote:

“Look, Cassie, when this is over I’ll be done with it forever. I’ll go back to school, get an education, go to basketball games, get a driver’s license, go to college, figure out what it is I really want to do. And be with you. You and me.”

God...all that these kids have been though, and they're not even driving age yet. Someone said it back during the book where Jake nearly got popped in fly morph, but it really makes you want to just give these kids a hug. :(

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

mods please change my name to thermal of destruction

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Love how the tone of the writing turns what is supposed to be a triumphant moment for the Animorphs into a very bleak one. I can see how people reacted negatively to this ending arc if they were looking for something more affirming in their YA fiction, but it is so much more powerful this way.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Again because I'm a 90s kid as well, I always pictured Yeerk technology being a mix of the Zerg gooey bio-horror poo poo from StarCraft and the Klendathu Bugs also gooey-bio horror poo poo from Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers. But like gooey bio-horror if they took over a bunch of Protoss technology so it's all clearly way over their paygrade and functioning only because their biomass has just infested it completely.

It also all smells like a dank basement.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I hope we get at least one Tobias chapter. It's gut-wrenching that he only just got his reunion with Loren only to turn his back on human life.

Rochallor posted:

This is from a few chapters back, but it strikes me that in this moment that Alloran gets exactly the happy ending that Jake wanted for Tom.

I haven't read up to this point, but I know the broad strokes of what happens in this ending arc. That said, Alloran's fate (if we're calling it that, I know there's still a lot of book left) was a pleasant surprise. I didn't realize he would play such a crucial role in such a pivotal moment in the endgame.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

I've been re-watching Battlestar Galactica over the last few months (and season 4 for the first time) and that's pretty much how I feel there, too.

This series has possibly aged better than that one, though.

I've rewatched BSG pretty recently. Yes, it has. BSG's ending still makes me mad with how slapped together it is. It's frustrating because when the show was good it was SO GOOD. It peaked at the end of the second season with the whole Pegasus arc, and then the writers' strike happened. It was clear though that the showrunners had no clear idea how the series would wrap up and that's what ultimately hurt it, not the strike. Animorphs OTOH, valid criticisms about pacing in the ending arc aside, at least ends in a way that is thematically coherent with the rest of the series imo.

Regarding Animorphs, I'd mostly spoiled myself on the larger plot points of the ending, but I was still pleasantly surprised with how well it came together. There's definitely a lack of catharsis but that was ultimately what Applegrant wanted, and while I definitely understand why people dislike it even now, it mostly works for me.

I'm glad we're doing Everworld next! I've only read the second book and that was like back in 2002, so I'm looking forward to experiencing it (mostly) fresh.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I’ll just echo what others have said that this thread has made the last few years that much less lovely. The fact that Epi stuck with us in spite of his health struggles is amazing. There is never a good time for something like this to happen, but I am so glad we all got to finish out the series together.