Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That roar was going places, as you were no where near the boss for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Scalding Coffee posted:

That roar was going places, as you were no where near the boss for a while.

Somebody was MAD.

Then we cut off his frilly bits :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

Somebody was MAD.

Then we cut off his frilly bits :v:

I think I burned those off actually, though maybe they were easier to chop after getting crisped up a bit? Anyway, this time we get introduced to who I'm pretty sure is an old friend if you're a Souls fan, though without voice acting it's hard to tell for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz0K1wjlg44

I'm about 99% sure if he could speak, he'd have a thick cockney accent. loving Patches. :argh:

Also through a decent chunk of this one, I kept thinking of every single "I'm carrying too much poo poo" voice line from Diablo. I gotta pawn some of this stuff...

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

I think I burned those off actually, though maybe they were easier to chop after getting crisped up a bit? Anyway, this time we get introduced to who I'm pretty sure is an old friend if you're a Souls fan, though without voice acting it's hard to tell for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz0K1wjlg44

I'm about 99% sure if he could speak, he'd have a thick cockney accent. loving Patches. :argh:

Also through a decent chunk of this one, I kept thinking of every single "I'm carrying too much poo poo" voice line from Diablo. I gotta pawn some of this stuff...

hmm, hmm, hmm

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did that giant eye change something in the level?
It looks like an entire army went into the tower.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did that giant eye change something in the level?

I'm pretty sure the giant eye was behind all of the indestructible tentacle doodads, which were clearly more destructible than we thought at first.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Scalding Coffee posted:

It always seems there was an incompetent army involved in all of these games.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

It always seems there was an incompetent army involved in all of these games.

An army, incompetent? Well I never. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFx8NBVlBqM

This game really picks up once you get some regen/health steal going. I'm self-repairing now! :buddy:

It also picks up when you're not vastly overburdened too. Just like Skyrim!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The sneakers heal to full health, unlike in the prequel, making it super useful. Good thing it isn't on the armor so you won't have to deal with damage creep.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Been watching all these for what feels like months now, finally caught up. Still amused by the creepy tower lobby that keeps trying to play the opening to "Fly like an Eagle"

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Angry_Ed posted:

Been watching all these for what feels like months now, finally caught up. Still amused by the creepy tower lobby that keeps trying to play the opening to "Fly like an Eagle"

I hadn’t thought of it that way before and now I’ll never think of it any other way. :laffo:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFXc65Yyj7A

And now: Progress! And me screwing up said progress fantastically. I'm sure it'll go better next time. Well... as sure as one can be under these conditions anyway.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFXc65Yyj7A

And now: Progress! And me screwing up said progress fantastically. I'm sure it'll go better next time. Well... as sure as one can be under these conditions anyway.

Need to have a light on your desk that I can control remotely that is annoying as gently caress until you save the game :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
All those birds and no laughing dog.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Scalding Coffee posted:

All those birds and no laughing dog.

Maybe we'll start dubbing that sound over every time we die.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
No dog unless I can shoot it. Them's the rules. :colbert:

Two this time! Because during the first session I just got killed a bunch and didn't want to post that one by itself. Feel free to skip or watch as desired. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCRajSdBMqM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dUg8uxTTU8

Pro tip: Use a gun. And if that don't work, use more gun.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Biggest reason why you got moidered is because youre holding on to that fishbone sword too long, its really not that strong and the HP recovery doesnt matter when the air is 100% murderous birdmen

Plus how many hits you get with melee weapons depends on your current carry weight, the lower the more you get. afaik burden null effects ignore that.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 19, 2021

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Leave my precious fishbone sword alone. :mad:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That was a lot of body horror.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

That was a lot of body horror.

Yeah those dudes sure are something. Personally I’m starting to feel like this should be Bluepoint’s next project. :getin:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Dewgy posted:

Leave my precious fishbone sword alone. :mad:

Look, it's only good for fighting the youth at this point.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I went through KF4 and Shadow Tower 1 and 2, and while I had fun, I think sitting through a Let's Play is going to a better way to experience the older entries because even in KF4 things were mighty janky.

The part in ST2 when you get your hands on an assault rifle and it obliterates all the fantasy monsters is pretty great, so looking forward to that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bug Squash posted:

The part in ST2 when you get your hands on an assault rifle and it obliterates all the fantasy monsters is pretty great, so looking forward to that.

You're gonna love how the boss fight in this one goes then! The key lesson: Never bring a sword to a shotgun fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L_b5qWsiPQ

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

You're gonna love how the boss fight in this one goes then! The key lesson: Never bring a sword to a shotgun fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L_b5qWsiPQ

Need to make a game where the spells are just ancient guns. Like, come up with some bullshit for how they work (there's a soul trapped in there, or something), but they're essentially guns. No wizard-class crap, no useless archers. Everyone gets spells that don't suck. :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Guys who move super fast, but prefer to fight in tiny rooms. Nice of them to also bring health kits for you to kill.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Seeing you stare down into the burning hellfire from above inspired me

EDIT: Tweaked it a bit, the fire going at 60fps was weirding me out.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 1, 2021

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Angry_Ed posted:

:golfclap:

The summoning circle is half complete. Not great, not terrible.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Angry_Ed posted:

Dewgy==Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this our first piece of "fan art"? Are...are we "big time" now? :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Professor Duck posted:

Dewgy==Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this our first piece of "fan art"? Are...are we "big time" now? :v:

I think the "It's Free Heal Estate" one beats this by...several months :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

So much larger than life!

Angry_Ed posted:

Forgot about this but I totally shouldn’t have. :allears:

I really gotta update that OP at some point.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Angry_Ed posted:

OH GODDAMN I FORGOT ABOUT HOW GREAT THAT IS

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Just want to chime in that I'm catching up but Shadow Tower: Abyss is goddamn fascinating to watch.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Night10194 posted:

Just want to chime in that I'm catching up but Shadow Tower: Abyss is goddamn fascinating to watch.

It's fascinating to play too, honestly. I mention it a few times in the videos but I would love to see Bluepoint get a crack at this one, or at least someone willing to put some effort into the port anyway. I can't say I've ever really played anything like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R28RrtHk8K8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOqH4vw2J10

And now, it's over. :( (Well, at least until I start diving into NG+, but I don't think that's gonna get recorded. Maybe streamed if I'm bored. :v:)

Honestly I think this is my favorite one we've played so far. The rest of the series has a charming jank that you can overcome with a bit of effort, but Abyss is just plain good. The dismemberment system goes a long way to making the combat feel engaging, fun, and fair, and the environment and enemy design is top notch. If From ever makes another game like this, I really hope they keep the "fantasy swords and also shotguns" approach. :D

Coming soon: Eternal Ring! And once that's cleared out I think that'll be every single From FPS RPG under our collective belt, unless I'm missing something. :feelsgood:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That was a big step up from the last game. I don't know why this did not get a US release.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shotgunning the gently caress out of Satan was the Fromsoft equivalent of Indy just shooting the guy with the sword and was totally rad.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Scalding Coffee posted:

That was a big step up from the last game. I don't know why this did not get a US release.

This feels like a recurring theme a lot of times. The less polished entries in a series get a US/western release but then when they don't sell well for whatever reason (or even hit that vaunted "sleeper hit" status), the studio cuts their losses and would rather not spend the money on localizing a sequel. Which I completely understand but at the same time it's frustrating.

I want to say I feel like this would've done fine in the PS2 era as a western release but I don't know if it quite hits the sweet spot of "is a weird game that plays very well", especially at a time where From was only really known for Armored Core.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shadow Tower Abyss ruled. "And so I started blasting: The RPG". That was weird as hell but really cool.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
My understanding is Abyss sold somewhere in the range of a few thousand copies in Japan, which... well, sales expectations were more modest back then, but, uh, not that much more. Apparently the English translation was basically done, too.

I do think I kind of prefer KF4 a little, just because it's so much easier to tell where you actually are. Scouring Rush is weird, but goddamn do the rooms blend together.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Night10194 posted:

Shadow Tower Abyss ruled. "And so I started blasting: The RPG". That was weird as hell but really cool.

Easily my favorite so far just for being so off-the-wall, comparatively speaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Not to go around quoting Nazis, but I kept thinking "That's when I reach for my revolver"* during the last section. It seemed a little disappointing that magic really didn't seem viable, but the ability to just shoot really made up for it.

Also really glad you tried out that weapon, just because it looked like it was amazing.

*Yeah, I know it's a misquote, the original is of course "Wenn ich Schattenturm höre, entsichere ich meine AR-15!"