Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

married but discreet posted:

Can someone point me towards a legit good Hammer horror movie? I've been very bored by Vampire Lovers, Vampire Circus and Satanic Rites of Dracula, but I greatly enjoyed Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires and Captain Kronos:Vampire Hunter but I wouldn't call them "good good".

Watch the Frankenstwin films with Cushing as the best Doctor Frankie on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Sorry, y'all need to have another look at the awkwardly white washed Candyman sequels; they're loving abysmal.

https://twitter.com/RobbJayne/status/1198730657817645059

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm glad I did watch a bunch of the Leprechaun sequels this month, I feel more qualified to vote on this matchup. But Child's Play is the clear winner, there's really no individual Leprechaun film that is on the same level as Child's Play 1 or 2. Especially Child's Play 2, which is one of the all time great horror sequels. Leprechaun can't match that.

It's actually a good indicator of the type of franchise that stood a good chance of going deep in this tournament. If you've got a Bride of Frankenstein/Evil Dead 2/Child's Play 2/Hellraiser 2/Dream Warriors level sequel that is a big leg up against most of the competition. It's what I think is gonna end up taking down Halloween in the end, there aren't really any truly great sequels. Carpenter's original is carrying the weight of the entire franchise on it's back.

Are we including Halloween III?

Voting for the obvious winners but sneakily feel Underworld should be awarded a rewatch more than any of the other losers. Also just want to say I did a Friday the 13th rewatch late last year and a few of those movies are WAY better than I remember.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Book of Shadows is gonna be the 2020's version of Halloween III or NoES 2. It's an academic paper or deep dive YouTube video away from getting there, calling it now. Pre-ordering the soundtrack on vinyl.

Blair Witch will still deservedly get smashed next round but gives so much more than Paranormal Activity (and I know it's trendy to poo poo on that series but I didn't get anything out of it and Bad Ben is better anyway).

e: I remember kinda liking the third From Dusk Til Dawn and the first one is loving phenomenal.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 8, 2020

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I actually love the Yuzna batshit crazy RotLD movie, it's really entertaining and weird. FD is a fine franchise but a bit too Deadmeat content (How many killings?) to really stand out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnWd0iv8Dq4

Edit: The second one isn't bad either now I think of it. Rooting for the little zombie that could this round.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 11, 2020

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I know it's been mentioned but don't vote as if RotLD just has one good movie. Check out RotLD 3, which for me is better than anything in the Final Destination series. So the way I see it when you combine RotLD 1 and 3, it's doing laps around Final Destination. Not even close.

Right on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8-DVXVdtZY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8-DVXVdtZY

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I'm going to watch the Tremors sequels over the next few days. Is it worth me trying to hunt down the Pumpkinhead sequels at all? I mean the first one was fine and it's a cool monster design but I can't find a stream anywhere and eeeeeh.

Hammer Drac is just so good I'm sad at the prospect of losing it.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Book of Shadows owns - despite being a bit of a weird watch, it comes together in the end.

Tremors 2 was okay, it was nice to see the original cast in 3 and the cowboy one is pretty loving boring. Jamie loving Kennedy is in the latest sequels? Oh boy. As cool as the first was I find it hard to entertain the thought these films bring more than Christopher DRACULA Lee.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Tremors 5 is just chock-full of casual racism. I hated it, and Kennedy was worse than I thought he'd be. Only one left though so might as well finish the series.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Tremors 6 was passable for me, outside of the missed opportunity to have TREMORS IN SNOW (like the first scene, which was cool) due to cheap production it had some cute moments between characters (Val, the daughter of Bacon hugging Bert, girls checking out a guys dong, rear end in a top hat idiot characters getting their comeuppance) that worked in earlier films combined with the way better CGI monsters/this newer assblaster design that is pretty cool. I obviously would prefer the puppets but heyho. Plus there was not as much Kennedy or casual racism (perhaps advised not to have an Inuit try to kill a big worm with a pointy stick?) in this one. I read the new one is going to have Napoleon Dynamite hunting Tremors for sport so that might be cool. Why the gently caress did Burt change his cap from Arizona to Chicago, though

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

After watching all the Tremors sequels and the first Pumpkinhead sequel I voted against those series. Then I realised the real match-up of this round is actually Predator vs. Texas Chain Saw Massacre; I really like both original films and first sequels a fuckload. I ended up going for Predator as I couldn't get the image of Danny Glover chasing an alien across LA - whilst calling it a son of a bitch constantly - out of my mind. Glover was given so few chances to really go 100% and he is brilliant here. Predator/Predator 2 are the kind of action/sci-fi Hollywood has proven time and again isn't as easy to produce as these films make it seem. It'd be really easy to let the crap of Alien vs. Predator to overshadow just how great these films are, but then I guess the same can be said of the dross in the TCM series after 2. Outside of R. Lee Ermey those 2000 films are plain old vending machine horror content.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Sarx posted:

As a horror franchise I can't even compute Predator beating TCM.

Predator stops really being horror for most of its run. The first one is great. The second one is fun but bad. The rest are pretty weak and most of them are solidly just action movies.

TCM one is a master piece. TCM two is almost as good and finds a totally different ambience to explore. The rest fluctuate from decent to bad but fun to downright horrible in two cases, but they're still all horror movies through and through. And as far as the horror franchises rebooted around that time, I think TCM's reboot is one of the stronger ones, with R. Lee Ermey really bringing something fun to the franchise.

I don't know. I like both franchises but it seems pretty cut and dry if I'm trying to figure out which one is the better horror franchise.

If Predator was up against the Lecter movies which ones would you say were more horror?

I get the gut reaction to TCM being the automatic pick but I hope the first two Predators at least get some thought and consideration. They're loving great.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Is there any Michael Myers sequels worth a reconsideration btw? I see Halloween is up against TCM or Predator next round and eeeeeehhhh. Will the winner of this potentially put Myers out to pasture?

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 22, 2020

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I half remember most of the Myers films as biege repetitions of the first movie (outside of 2 which is a decent continuation) but will try and find 4 and H20. I remember HATING Busta Rhymes doing spin kicks on MM, so will stay away from Resurrection I think.

I loved Halloween 2018. The Zombie remakes were fine.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Not happy with this result at all, but I will have to accept it and move on.

As someone who spent 3 nights watching the drizzling shits that is the Tremors sequels and looked forward to some effort posting on Hammer Dracula vs. Lecter or Predator I am very sad.

Y'all made me sad.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Wait, are we voting based on best movie? Am I watching a bunch of crap sequels for nought?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I think a longer voting process is fine IF people get involved in the discussion and would consider actually going back to change votes. I enjoy reading the arguments and happily will change a vote - haven't yet though as I am 100% correct so far despite some of my faves losing.

If there is a chance of Elm Street losing to Candyman please let me know so I can go in a massive strop as I don't have time to defend it properly right now as I spend most of my days writing my film dissertation (oh how I wish I wrote it on Elm Street).

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I just rewatched the cheaper than I remember Wishmaster 2 and am now dreading the Divoff-less sequels. The Wishmaster series was pretty mishandled but he put a good shift in.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

They're soooooooo bad

I may have just been in a lucid state as I watched all of them last night, but Wishmaster 4 kinda owns. The weird Christian Faith element of previous sequels is co-opted as the bad attempt at a Buffy the Vampire Slayer copy gives way to pure 100% American afternoon soap opera. Buff dudes with sad dark tales trying to woo hot sophisticated chix by drinking red wine with them and asking them questions about their sex life. The plot is loving insane as the Lawyer Djinn has to figure out how to make the girlfriend of his client (who lost the use of his legs in a motorcycle accident) fall in love with him for who he really is; and he can't come up with an I R O N I C response. All the while his Djinn buds are force ghost hassling him as a hot dude ANGEL is walking about public parks with a gigantic loving sword trying to kill the lady for wishing a third time.

I mean, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it or die on a hill for it but it certainly was a fun curio.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 29, 2020

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I'm really thinking on going back to change my vote from Universal to Chucky, I love both - but the arguments about which series being the most legit/fair are swaying me.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Class3KillStorm posted:

I have to imagine that the full Djinn costume and makeup were an absolute bitch to work in, let alone get into or out of. The cost and effort were why they kept manufacturing reasons in the first two for him to look human, after all. So, if he wasn't making a seven-figure paycheck each time, I could imagine him just looking at the hassle of that whole process again when they wanted to make a third movie and deciding it wasn't worth it.

RE: Wishmaster 3; I imagine they couldn't throw enough money at Sean Connery's son to get him into the costume and so they just had 2 different actors, one as human form Djinn and one as slimy Djinn. Pretty sure it was the same with 4.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

If you're going to rewatch The Exorcist make sure it's not the extended edition. Wow, that does NOT work at all.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

Ya'll should keep an eye on this post because I'm gonna be sampling it on the 3rd to remind everyone to read up on the entrants.

I find it very telling no one has even bothered to talk about Night or Return of the Living Dead. It's possible I guess both franchises are just top-tier and it comes down to personal preference.

But here's what I'll say: You should vote for Wishmaster. Here's my arguments:

1) Andrew Divoff.

End of list.

More in-depth explanation here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYHIJG_8z2E

I'm not going to defend Wishmaster 3 and 4 at all, but honestly Friday the 13th has just as many stinkers, by percentage, as Wishmaster so that's a push.

I think what I like most about it is that at no point is it even trying to be scary. This is 1997, we're well past the point of being scared of supernatural monsters, so Wishmaster goes the route of "we just got a studio to fund us and all our best friends in horror to make a love-letter to all the things that rule about horror, let's do it!" and it is just the best about it. The single greatest thing is, of course, Divoff's Djinn character, who (like Hannibal Lecter) never blinks when he's on camera. The Djinn is incredibly goofy (he's wearing a puffy power rangers villain outfit in half his scenes) but at the same time brims with menace, and it's all down to Divoff. He's as all-powerful as Freddy but instead of having a Bane of "must be asleep," it's "must actively ask for it" which focuses all the way to the core of the "Don't Go In There, Girl!" response part of the brain and just tongues that neuron receptor till it's burnt out.

So yeah.

Jason is cool and all but Wishmaster is just loving bonkers and never stops being fun (until Divoff leaves the franchise)

I got around to watching this video and I'm very pleased to see a scientific experiment on whether Wishmaster 4 owns bones is also on his channel. Very enlightening, pro click.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP2kkV1guFs

I'm still rooting for Friday the 13th.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

The amount of moments A Nightmare on Elm Street has given horror is absolutely phenomenal. One of the most creative horror worlds conceived and so much of the practical effects loving own.

It seems like the film that is most HORROR usually wins these matchups but Hannibal just has that prestige no other horror does. Manhunter, Silence of the Lambs and the TV series are fantastic thrillers.

e. I mixed up my matchups!

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 19, 2020

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I love the spook-a-doodle gang tag, I want it. Who do I need blow?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

What was supposed to be the good mid-franchise Halloween again, 5? I hope so because I watched 4 last night and it was so middle-of-the-road I was scared of being hit by a truck. That ending. Why do so many slasher sequels have that "little kid is the new slasher icon" and do any of them ever actually follow up on it?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I really like the Friday the 13th and it hurts my feelings people hate it so much.

I watched Halloween 5 and 6 tonight, boy Michael Myers really should have just been the one film. Six is very nineties, it was fun to see Paul Rudd WHO LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME because he is IRL a vampire but the plot felt like it was doing what that laser net did to the guy in Resident Evil.

Why is Paul Rudd running around with a random loving baby? Why is SPY V SPY hanging out in a kids closet? What's this about stars aligning? A CULT, really? So Halloween is banned in the town and it's like Footloose WHAT? Fzshht. This movie is mince.

Halloween 5 I found very enjoyable because it had that guy with the car who was a prick and it had Dr. Loomis literally shouting and screaming at a mute 10 year old girl (who looked legit terrified btw). Oh, and a Michael tear.

Oh and I'm currently writing a defence of snottery weird joker kid A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET but I am erratic at the best of times so I am prepared for noone to read it and silently hold it against you all when it's beaten by the school jock EVIL DEAD.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Halloween H20 is quite watchable and fun, it's been a whole while since I watched it and this is the first time I was seriously tickled that Janet Leigh was in it, that she drives the car from Psycho and theres a little nod to the Psycho score as she wanders off. That was delightful.

If Halloween was up against anything but Lecter (great TV series, one fine movie, one great movie, load of old bollocks with the rest) then it might have been voted against. Not this time.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

So I feel like A Nightmare on Elm Street is in real danger of being knocked out by Evil Dead which has compelled me to write words. Here is the VOTE NOW! poll if you feel like reconsidering.

Wes Craven's original dream killer idea is massive. A place where nightmare and reality are the same; shared by a youth placed in the idealistic American suburban bedroom. Something inherently visual - an idea that can tap into our daily lives and our subconscious fear of death to scare the poo poo out of us. This is the giant of Wes Craven's career that he will be remembered for.

“Wes Craven’s purpose in ANoES is to create a scene of complete psychological disorientation, to make the nightmare state coexist with reality. He accomplishes this by systematically eliminating the conventional signposts that help us to separate the physical from the metaphysical, the real from the fantastic, the moral from the heinous”. - Douglas L. Rathbeg (Bogeyman from the Id).

The psychology associated with dreams becomes the perfect fodder for fear. The use of dream logic allows audiences to accept the time-jumps, body morphing and bizarre architecture (mmm that mise-en-FREAKscene feels so logical) inherent to Freddy movies because who out there HASN'T had a dream where they are the Wizard Master? Dreams are trojan horses for our darkest fears and a horror series was created here that not only presented a dreamworld that took full advantage of that; but also gave us a child killer in sunglasses playing Nintendo, bitch.

A Nightmare on Elm Street is obviously a cultural phenomenon, Freddy Krueger is about as much of a house-hold name as Armitage Shanks and we all know the series as a campy affair about a wise-cracking over the top murderer. Zany ideas, gross SFX and one-liners coming from a character you were more likely to see as a brand than in a movie theatre; and all the while the public perception of real-life killers seemed to dominate the news cycles of the late 1980’s (and actual nightmares) of Western society. A perception that Freddy was for kids took hold, especially once Hannibal Lecter and the thriller horror genre got kudos from critics and award judges. Not many will deny the Krueger marketing phenom was mostly cheap and over-exposed the series but I don’t think the whole picture is painted there. Freddy being king of slasher mountain allowed some of the most loving crazy ideas in big budget cinema to come to life and that made horror and movies a much richer place.

Where other breakthrough horror films of the slasher era were using the idyllic American suburbs as a setting for the multiple stabbings that would unfold - ANoES takes this setting and just straight blows up the generational war between Gen X and their boomer parents. Kids suffering helplessly because of decisions made by their parents, huh? TOPICAL 2020. In dreams the kids could learn to become what they always wanted... that is until Freddy figured out an ironic way to dice them up. The final girl became a home invasion expert and then a psychologist who was the bridge between generations and taught others how to fight back.

I don’t think the ANoES series is equivalent to the big hair 1980’s rock bands that had to be swept away by the more rooted-in-reality hip grunge revolution led by Lecter and Ghostface. Perhaps the era of CGI helped nail Freddy down for a few years - only for a pretty sweet outing vs. Jason. The cynicism works for me only so far. It's a shame ANoES isn't celebrated more widely for the trash art it is, the stink of capitalism may be too much to bear for some, I get it. What is amazing is that compared to other, more beloved series, the ANoES series stitches the history of Freddy Krueger, dream powers and hell demons coherently together. Each entry in the series are shining examples of an indie studio propping up young creative talent and allowing them the freedom (and most importantly budget) to throw the sickest practical effects that they could think of at the wall. It was a wild ride.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 24, 2020

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Sam Raimi reminds me a fair bit of William Castle in so far as they both made very entertaining horrors (and films that are rightly beloved forever in the horror canon) they really got their kicks from comedy and goofing around. A little piece of me feels like they cheated a little - Wes Craven is sweet and sincere and his dream baby deserves all the votes.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

34%!?

Evil Dead fuckboys just made my list.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Really looking forward to Living Dead vs Evil Dead. Let's make it happen! Don't let these flabby, ho-hum slasher franchises get it the way of the dream finale.

:colbert:

Team ROMERO, anyway.

Thread has inspired watching a bunch of sequels I never would have bothered with before and totally digging them, thanks Shreknet.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Evil Dead II is so loving good. I remember getting it on DVD and being obsessed with the making of features, it probably had a lot to do with how much I ended up being into horror and specifically the fun stuff. I really never clicked with the other films, especially the Xena one. I REALLY DISLIKED the re-remake from a few years ago. Ash vs. Evil Dead really drags that entire franchise up by the balls and makes it worthy to be in the last 32 discussion best horror series.

If we talk "MOST HORROR" then we talk "MOST SERIAL"; and Evil Dead isn't in the top tier for either IMO.

Halloween's serial status is a loving mess, Friday the 13th is patchy but at least it tries and Living Dead is just loving perfect in so far as a continuous trilogy dealing with the same events. It's THE WIRE of horror movies, including the last one being a bit poo poo.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Continuity isn't everything though. I could turn that around and say Friday the 13th is even more impressive for how much ground it's covered in the genre. Just within Friday the 13th you have a Carrie sequel, a Frankenstein sequel, an Evil Dead sequel, an In Space sequel, a Godzilla Vs. sequel, and even a very solid remake.

I might be reading you wrong but I don't see how films being varied and eclectic are mutually exclusive from being serial? Jason literally wears the continuity on him, his battle damage and degradation of Crystal Lake lay testament to how much has happened in the series.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

WeaponX posted:

Evil dead is gonna win this whole thing and it should. Not a bad piece of media in the whole series and introduced a lot of us to weirdo independent horror filmmaking. I have a lot of love for original Halloween but that series along with Friday has way too much trash. I’ll always have a soft spot for Raimi as a manic, innovative, cheesy comedy, campy, visually assaulting auteur.

I know goons have the biggest hardon for it, but not at the expense of Romero. Surely?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

I have something very special cooked up for the finals but it's gonna take me a day or so to finish 'shopping so uh.... talk amongst yourselves. here's the full bracket, completed. Is there any franchise you think should've won over the actual finalists? ( ALIEN :kratos: ) Did being a #1 seed and so facing weaker competition until the Frightful Four let unworthies in? Or did they earn their #1 seed and deserved to be in the Frightful Four?

Some fantasy fights we didn't get that could have been fun...

Hmmm, Nightmare on Elm Street vs. Halloween and then Nightmare on Elm Street vs. Romero's Living Dead in the final. OBVIOUSLY.

Evil Dead vs. Tremors
Ghoulies vs. Basketcase
Critters vs. Phantasm
Hellraiser vs. Wishmaster
Child's Play vs. Friday the 13th

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

So having watched all three seasons of Ash vs Evil Dead, I thought it was pretty great. It definitely tips the scales in terms of gore towards the Evil Dead franchise. Every episode just joyfully basks in fountains of blood, gore, and occasionally piss. Plus you have to love that morgue scene, horror needs more flaccid peen, and advanced rectal trauma.

All that said, I still can't imagine awarding it the best horror franchise. What I think really brings it down for me is the comedy, which during the first two seasons is really stuck at the frat boy level. I didn't find it charming, or funny, or ironic that Ash is relentlessly misogynist, racist, and toxic. I also didn't like that they introduced a black trans sexworker character as a punchline, and then quickly dispatched her within the same episode to set up another punchline. On top of that it's extremely lecherous, and not in a particularly fun, or inclusive way.

Perhaps I'm asking too much of the show to expect it to get these things right, but then I look at the Living Dead series, and I find a franchise that consistently has its heart and its head in the right place. When I look at the ending of Night, that final lynching scene still cuts like a knife, and still feels frightening relevant. When I think of the greatest horror franchise, I don't just want blood and guts, I want media that elevates its subject matter, and packs an emotional punch that still resonates decades later. For me, that has to be Romero, and anything less feels like a compromise.

I like and appreciate this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I'm burning my Evil Dead tapes/dvd's/blurays. What a travesty! I hope y'all sit and think about what you have done. Romero was robbed.