Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I played a few hours in yesterday and it was pretty fun. Guess I'm playing a MMO again, didn't think that'd happen. Hard to pass up boats with legs though.

Does disabling 'fluid combat' makes the fighting more like For Honor or does it just ignore directional input?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Your sentiment makes sense, but particularly now, I'd cut people some slack since their home economy could be hosed by quarantine.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

And the OP says 20% of materials, if it's still accurate. It shouldn't take much activity before that really adds up.

The trader stations give them 10%, but presumably in the local currency, so 10% more fleas.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Heads up. Double clicking a high quality material to store it quickly will cause it to merge with lesser quality materials already in storage.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I like lone wolfing it, but it's too easy to hide with a spider. I figure it'd be more exciting with high speed chases.

The descriptions claim the falco, toboggan and hornet are all fast. Anyone know if they're roughly the same speed or if one stands above the rest?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, it runs pretty well and is relatively forgiving.

As long as you stash valuable poo poo in a lobby'd walker, and tech into basic tools, weapons and armor, there's nothing you can't recover from.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Autoturrets are a hilariously bad idea. You should find a watering hole with a narrow passage and line the sides with them, tower defense style.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Hey, good-combat-goon, explain attack speed while you're here please. Is a bigger number better? Is there a meaningful difference between one and two handed? I geniunely want to know cause my 120 speed 2h maul feels slower than the 110 speed beatstick.

Btw, the spider can go up 90 degree walls if there's a curve at the bottom. It even climbs the canyon walls at the water holes, just occasionally tap sprint for momentum. I didn't try this before the bone upgrade and can't guaranty the default version has enough power. Still, it's super useful for getting around.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 7, 2020

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Hard zones are coming right about this hour, pending server reset. And then some of the existing oases will slowly be replaced by hard ones.

Other notable changes: Animal harvesting fixed, rupu slings can no longer be packed, and the kill feed will only show clan kills.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 7, 2020

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anyone have any ideas for what to rebind grapple controls to? The defaults seem lovely.

That's a good question with no clear answer. Ideally nothing should interfere with WASD, so reeling should go on shift and either capslock or left-ctrl, but then you get issues mapping sprint and crouch. You could put reeling on the mouse thumb buttons, but the mouse is already prime real estate for aiming actions like the kick and the grappling shot.The game has too many inputs that can't be double mapped.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Eurogoons, please yell out when you've claimed somewhere. It'd be fun dropping by and watching you fight people.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 8, 2020

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Nalin posted:

Trading station always takes 10% of the flots for itself. If you own the territory, that 10% is deposited in the vault and a member of your clan with Leader permissions can take that money out.

If you own territory, any time somebody harvests on a server within your zone of influence causes an additional 20% bonus of whatever was harvested to be deposited in your Proxy Walker. There is no tax. It is a pure bonus. If a pubbie gets killed (the "murdered" message), then they will not produce that 20% bonus for you for a long time.

The tax system is a nice idea in theory, but the low population caps of each oasis work against it. You'd rather have a clan member than a pubbie when the oasis is full.

It remains to be seen if smaller clans that don't run at max capacity can maintain claims. Those are the people that will benefit from the tax.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

They're adding a kinder surprise egg to the game? Finally I can protect my woodworking station from bandits. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hsyHr0g7x0

It looks inferior to a spider. Obviously the spider's downside is that the hull has the same armor type as walker legs and can probably be broken by repeaters, but still. The one way this thing makes sense is as a hard zone lawnmower for solos. You give it wood foraging modules, cram chests into the cockpit, then run around vacuuming up everything. In fact, it might be decent at ash farming too at the burned bushes in the lava areas.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Do we know if percentage based mitigation or flat damage reduction is calculated first for personal armor?

The easiest way to find out would be to get shot by repeaters while wearing the full baskwood set. 30 damage versus 41% mitigation, 23 flat reduction. You'll either take 4 damage or 0 damage. Hopefully someone's already been through that, saving me the effort of finding a pubbie gunboat to die at for science.

The difference is significant for iron studded armor. It'll either be a modest upgrade to everything else, or it'll poo poo on axes, quarterstaffs and low penetration swords.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 12, 2020

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Well drat. Yeah, that's huge for iron studded. no it's not

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 12, 2020

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Oh for fucks sake, I got it mixed even though I just went through all the numbers in the post.

Yes, you're right. So the way it is now, iron studded is an okay upgrade, but not a walking fortress.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

SweetBro posted:

Is this game in any way solo playable?

Solo will be a niche playstyle no matter how you do it. You can't do the clan battles that the game is about, you'll be using a fraction of the gear, and you'll get poo poo on if you aren't either a PvP god like that one guy or a selective opportunist.

There's an EVE style economy and market, and you might be able to do the whole trading thing. Maybe. Groups are so self-sufficient at the moment that there isn't much incentive to buy stuff.

I pretend this is Star Wars Galaxies 2 and play it like a hobo sim. I don't touch PvE because I can't be assed to make gear from durability loss, and I barely PvP. Just a sand hobo zipping around on an ATV, spamming chat, waiting for a chance to rob a walker.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

And this is why goon v goon sucks. It turns into a forums yelling match.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Ad by Khad posted:

people doing nothing but grinding massive resources so they could send it to a handler higher up the chain who would then sell big poo poo for real money was a thing that happened a lot early on in atlas, I would assume your answer is yes

many of these operations had actual employees

Yeah, that probably checks out because it sounds a lot like the Chinese gold farming that started around the time World of Warcraft became a thing. Bigger games try to shut it down, but indie projects likely lack capacity to even try. Games like this are perfect for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Have Some Flowers! posted:

If you like Eve online but want more fun combat, this game's good. If you just want to play SimBase, this game is good. If you want to spiderman slingshot through trees, this game is good.

If you like griefing people by abusing weird buggy early-access stuff, this game is good.

Thoroughly enjoying it.

One place this isn't an improvement on EVE is solo piracy. In that game, you could fly something small and lovely, and steal everything from a player in something big and lovely. You can in theory do that here, but all the respawn options make it more challenging. Breaking chests take time, and breaking open walkers take even longer. It's not a one-and-done fight.

You can get lucky, finding someone's base while they aren't around though. Even the smallest walkers can break into them with scattershots.