Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Looks interesting enough to chuck some cash at, I think I’m in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

the first week is going to be FULL of amazing griefing content, but once everyone figures out how to have a super safe bank walker memes will die down a little.

I dunno, the bank walker sounds more like a way to keep downtime low, it also means that anyone you find will actually have some gear on them you can take

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm on EU with like 6 barbarians and we've been absolutely destroying dozens of spanish/chinese/italian people, killing them over and over again until they suicide or die of thirst later on

Currently rolling around in a Stiletto supported by two ballista Spiders. Insanely fun gameplay, and for a game like this it's way better than expected.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Eu crew (guild name: strong men) made people specialize to some extent but it does mean people need to be online

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
we made our base medium wood

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
We just break open cargoholds and leave the ships be. Making ships easily destroyable is a surefire way to make sure people ragequit, which means that a few days in you won't have anyone to hunt down. Right now our group can get by without gathering much just by 'collecting' tribute

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

the problem is you can create 20-30 ships in the time it takes normal people to gather the materials required to kill one.

it's horribly imbalanced.

not really because once you have the supply chain required for breaking open ships it's pretty quick

we just buy rupu gel at the trader for example, then use it to bust open dinghys and up. yeah if you set everything on fire you run out, but that's just being stupid. there should be an imbalance towards letting people keep their relatively low value ships because that's how you maintain a healthy population that's not just pvp gangs (who don't gather, which means there'll be nothing to plunder, which means you'd have to gather just to pvp)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jimlit posted:

I cant stop laughing at how unbelievably poo poo this game looks in motion. Like if you cant display animations for more than two embarrassing bug boats at a time why not just write wheels into the lore?

Game actually looks good, the guy you're quoting is just playing on a potato which can't render more than 1 animation. Doesn't look at all like that on an actual computer with parts from this century.

most traders don't have rupu gel, and the shop is disabled rn anyway sooooo
i understand it definitely shouldn't be easier to kill things than to make them, but it shouldn't be so goddamn annoying to clear out structures and vehicles that are totally unused and abandoned.

vOv we got tons. IMO you should be able to deconstruct vehicles after damaging them enough, or once they're abandoned for long enough, or there's going to be abandoned fireflies literally everywhere (and scouting for wings will be useless)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

how do you deconstruct a vehicle? i have literally never seen that option

You can’t, which is dumb

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Tempus Thales posted:

You can, on the build menu. Press B then you will see a button below to dismantle stuff. You can take apart everything build in the build menu, and you get some materials back.

Haven't been able to deconstruct the ship itself, just the wings/legs.

We got our proxy license and are up to 500 fragments, so I think after this weekend we might have enough to make a first push for a proxy walker

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Figured as much. Right now our main bottlenecks are bone splinters and surprisingly enough, water. Need a lot of water for bone glue, which is used in almost everything. We got 2 windmills running though we haven't found a torque belt yet, we're storing that poo poo in torque batteries now.

Cattails stopped being a limited factor once we got scythes. One run down the river is 200-300 of the things. The proxy walker itself is pretty cheap to build, though the sheer quantity of wood might suck without better axes. The nomad cloth is npnp though.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

yall poor we have several bank walkers full of poo poo even though 80% of us can't login

the issue being is we have 15 people who have all maxxed out their fragment tree instead of stockpiling for the proxy walker....

It's more about getting supply and production chains in place than hoarding poo poo imo. Items just take up too much space and right now we don't want to have like 3 toboggans worth of a base. Better to have more throughput by building more crafting stations but maybe that's because we only have like 8 people and half can't even get online most of the time

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

more i think about this game the less i like it

rust is far simpler and relies far more on player skill

i really hope mediocre gear can still compete with high end poo poo

lol have you seen the stats on big boy armor???

Yeah there are diminishing returns but boy, taking literally zero damage from hits 40 damage and below is pretty overpowered

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Last Oasis: Game was killed by White Death

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Logically survival mmos can’t be good. So because this game was good, it couldn’t be allowed to exist

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I’m not refunding because the game is real fun

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It’s too much effort for me tbh

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
They don’t need to wipe it and people are going to be hilariously salty when they decide they’re not going to

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
nobody who cares that much about 10 bux posts on this dead rear end forum

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
either there's a wipe and we'll just stomp the EU zone we spawn in again or there's no wipe and we're 1-2 days from building a proxy walker

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

yeah balance is out of whack

4 hours to max out the tree, but weeks to get a tablets for a handful of t2 recipes?

yeesh tablets shouldn't be so insane.

yeah especially since proxy walkers etc are super transient, and you really don't want to focus tablets on one or two people for fun gameplay (everyone wants to feel useful and play with the big toys)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The Chinese came at us EU folk in the dark of night. Half our crew was asleep, it was four of us against thirty-odd of them. They took our base and ships, forced us to run away and punch cactuses to avoid dying of thirst. But they didn’t master the grappling hook.

We came back and fought a grueling 5 hour guerilla war, slowly taking their gear and hiding it atop cliffs or rocks. I went from 70 kills to 160, and I was in charge of the respawning walkers half the time. We took their base, destroyed everything, emptied their chests, demolished their walkers, and built a stiletto with their materials and fragments.

One of my friends is an absolute god with the grappling hook and one time swung from tree to tree while smashing multiple chinese zerglings between swings. What a fantastic loving game. I’m exhausted but when I wake up I’m jumping right back in.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hello Sailor posted:

These both sound amazing. I'd love to see video of either of these. What grappling hook was your friend using? I've found the entry-level hook doesn't reel in quickly enough to get good horizontal movement. It usually reels out pretty quickly - fast enough that you can take falling damage - but sometimes glitches and unreels at a snail's pace... usually when I've just grabbed a giant cactus fruit and need to get down before my stamina runs out.

You can get good horizontal movement if you swing from tree to tree, but you need to start with some height. Usually we reel up to a rock and then start swinging, but eventually you run out of trees so that doesn't always work. We have the fast hook now (bee hives spawn depending on the oasis you're in, so if yours doesn't have any go to another) which is far far better

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Its a bit tiring to watch an Eve online player complain about an actual good game though

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://streamable.com/0xo49f

We’ve been destroying teams all day long, lots of good sports too. Mostly cause we let them go after taking their chests I think.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

ye my group has been killing hard, came across an actual good group last night and the only reason we won was because we slightly outnumbered them, they had like 8 repeaters on their poo poo and so many of us died slowly breaking them down while they could instantly kill us pretty much.

also rupu slingers needs to be fixed, they're incredibly busted.

Repeaters are insanely good vs boarders holy poo poo

We actually let people who are good sports go with most of their stuff, as long as they promise to kill any chinese names on sight

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I dunno, seems like the flat damage reduction armor really fucks repeaters, and the foresters' we use is pretty good too. Haven't seen massed rupu slingers yet though because their ammo costs a gently caress ton.

So far we've been owning people, though occasionally we do lose, and losing in this game means you lose badly. It's mainly due to numbers or vastly superior preparation, since we're pretty good about keeping 2 stilettos watered up + stocked with gear sets. There's only so much you can do when the other side has 2x your numbers though, especially if they're decent players as well.

I think weapons should clip through a lot of the wooden things people now use to hide behind. Steering levers, etc.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Here's how you beat repeaters: if there's 1 you stand on top of it, if there's multiple you just don't show your fat loving face where they can shoot it. Seriously just try shooting one yourself, it's inaccurate as gently caress at anything further than point blank, and it deals like 35 damage pre-reduction (so that's like 15 or whatever including your armor). Yeah they shred but honestly don't stand still/in front of them and you're fine.

What really sucks is when you get rammed by a boat with 3 repeaters on it and your entire deck is turned into swiss cheese. Even if you win the fight later on, everything you own will be broken.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
We're on EU and it's a bit emptier but basically yeah. If 500 darts per fight or so is more than you can afford, I don't know what to say. You can gather that without stealing it from others even, though taking it from people is more effective. Our bottleneck has been fire arrows, and I have no idea how the loving chinese got like 100 of them to burn our whole hex down lmao. Good thing they're bad at everything else.

Also, fast grappling hook is insane. Get one ASAP, you will never ever die anymore.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The best weapon is a packed monkey turret, you just need a lot of rupu pelts

Seriously, just harpoon and slam it down, it fucks

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

to be fair, if you use steam reviews to dictate whether or not you buy a game you aren't adding to any open world environment

this might be your dumbest post yet

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

game good, has issues that completely ruin the game balance

you can spawn 100 feet from your walker at no cost, which means if you're a zerg you can literally just constantly swarm a small group naked and no matter how good they are they literally cannot deal with it

Untrue, you deal with it by having armor so they deal 0 damage and (VERY IMPORTANT) denying weapons

The #1 thing you do when you are in a fight and there's a lull is either scooping up weapons, or dropping them from a corpse onto the floor so they despawn after some time

We literally killed an entire zerg with 4 people and got hundreds of kills between us with this strat, don't @ me

If you can't deny weapons get good or get more people

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

NaanViolence posted:

You don't have to deny weapons if you're good at combat. It's a good crutch in the meantime tho

you're not good enough at combat to eschew denying weapons

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I think he just stream of consciousness-posts. The game itself has massive ups and downs, sometimes you do get hosed by geometry + zerg rushes, but overall there's lots of ways to play which guarantee that any setback is extremely tiny.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've spent the past several days casually glancing at every tree in existence trying to find a single beehive. I have not succeeded.

they only exist in some environments, keep moving from oasis to oasis until they're common

one of us found like 80 in an hour and sold them for 750 each

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Donnerberg posted:

Eurogoons, please yell out when you've claimed somewhere. It'd be fun dropping by and watching you fight people.

We don't plan on getting a proxy walker yet, there's big chinese zergs on our servers and though we can defeat them using guerilla tactics, you can't use those when you have a loot pinata to protect

We're allying with a few folks though, so maybe in the future

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Aertuun posted:

As far as I can tell the forager module (that picks up foliage as you drive over it) just doesn't work? Other people are saying the same thing.

This is correct

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

M2tt posted:

Tell me more about how the rupu turrets dilute the game and make it boring please, that poo poo gets me off.

Trying to gotcha him over something he was right on is kinda cringy dude. Come back when you’ve got some thread content.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

M2tt posted:

Good call dude, please let me know where I can hire white knights such as yourself to defend my own lovely content in the future tia.

No worries, just looking out for you. You can contact me ingame, I'm Italian Elon Musk. Enjoy the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Trying to gotcha him over something he was right on is kinda cringy dude. Come back when you’ve got some thread content.

No worries, just looking out for you. You can contact me ingame, I'm Italian Elon Musk. Enjoy the game!