Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Just claimed the Thief asterisk and, is it just me or did Gloria just game the unofficial asterisk rules by choosing to come along quietly to prison, since the guards can't take away our asterisks without an asterisk battle with the special music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like Bravely Default 2 is not at all interested in avoiding JRPG tropes because it's much more about having characters who are gleefully playing up to those tropes, like the mentor who is just so loving jazzed to die holding off the final boss to save a new generation of protagonists or the princess who is so completely down with her destiny that she consents without waiting to be told what it is.

I also like that Seth appears to be incredibly ordinary. He's perfectly positioned so that they could have given him a mysterious backstory, but as far as I can tell so far they haven't bothered? He seems to have no idea where his home is and doesn't recognize anything on the map, but also seems to recognize common fish and doesn't have amnesia. It's actually kind of interesting that nobody is asking him where he is from, since he seems to know — they just aren't that interested! The dude is just full of super-special protagonist flags that the game decided to leave unflagged.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Is it just me, or does Spiritmaster's second specialty automatically cleanse off your own Regen and Reraise effects?

That's up there with the Berserker's anti-control ability making it impossible for you to become berserk.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I have to admit Gambler seems almost certain to make things much worse for me every time I drop it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Gloria would absolutely kill a baby if a magic rock asked her to. (don't spoil me if this actually happens)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The story in Chapter 2 is extremely hosed up. I was not expecting something so creepy and intense but it worked really well. Story is good so far. Elvis rules.

ch 3 spoilers you sweet summer child

honestly it's kind of hosed up that in at least two cases we just let a villain's crimes be covered up and their reputation stay clean after we kill them and jack their asterisks

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wtf. I just got to chapter 2 last night and my Google feed sent me this today. I didn't Google anything about it or say anything out loud.

I mean, have you searched for Bravely Default? There's probably a fairly broad correspondence between searching for "dag bravely default 2 naked" and "what is schnitzel" which the Algorithm can spot.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think what would really improve the bosses for me is the ability to stop and reset the encounter and change my builds without having to reload the game.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Spiritmaster is a weird, weird class because at level 12 you unlock a feature that turns off all your spells except Banishga and Holy.

I have no idea why they did it this way.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Gladys is basically awful, but then finds out she's actually been killing a bunch of real people and immediately pivots, so it's like... I guess her real sin was being incredibly stupid, like, good lord.

I think towards they actually mention that her parents actually got judgmented to death too, and Helio someone maneuvered her into blaming this on fairies. It also seems like Rimedahl must have been doing this for quite a while, so it's weird that nobody else has notice that Rimedahl is loving insane. I can't help noticing that Rimedahl contributes nothing to the final battle except the dragon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm not even sure how the asterisk chain of possession worked. Did somebody just hand Folie four asterisks at some point and said, 'hey, do whatever you want with these'? Like, to some degree it makes sense that Edna was just handing them out like candy to the worst people she could find but it seems like they all also got 3~ bonus asterisks to hand to their minions, even Folie who didn't actually have any minions.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

FZeroRacer posted:

Even then it's also inconsistent because Anihal, Glenn and Lonsdale are all fine. It seemed like it was going to be a plot point that the asterisks were evil (which would've led nicely into why the Night's Nexus became a thing) but it was just dropped.

Of course, Glenn got his asterisk from Lady Emma, not from Edna, so it makes sense that he could avoid any whammy there might or might not have been.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I just did the endgame unlock fight for Berserker/Pictomancer/Arcanist and it all went very well until Castor decided to go berserk and then repeatedly hit the entire party for 5000 damage each time. This is very annoying.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also for some reason I can’t find the NPC for quest 100 for the growth eggs

I don't think she appears until Chapter 7.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Alright, jeez. I’ll see what I can do.

By the way, is there a use for the monster drops/collectibles? Just yes or no.

Save your Oberon Gems, otherwise no.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

They honestly give you plenty of details about the Night's Nexus.

It's a former princess of Musa who was friendly with the fairies and drank from the spring of knowledge, but was also secretly chugging the spring of knowledge and making her own knowledge-chugging asterisk. This was all just a bit of a problem until she came upon the knowledge labelled "how to invoke dark forces and become Libr-Rarian, the Ever-Living" at which point she turned into a lich and her hunger for knowledge went from 'reading my friends' diaries' and into 'my boyfriend's brain was delicious'.

At this point she decided the best thing she could do would be to consume everything, everywhere, so that all existence would merely be in her memory, and everybody else decided "wow, let's just lock you in the Restricted Books section forever and ever." This is why she's always going on about nothing being forgotten or forgiven... it's a reference to both her grudge and her obsession with consuming all knowledge.

This is also why fairies dislike humans, because one human bogarted all the smart water once. This is explicitly the reason and the only reason. It's not a very good reason, but hey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Fire Crystal is also relevant because the Archbishop's motivation is ultimately jealousy that the Fire Crystal chose the Fairy Queen for its blessing and not him.