Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

explosivo posted:

I'm watching Sips play this on Twitch and he loving hates it because it's too hard lol. It does look remarkably similar to the original though so I'll probably pick it up at some point.

he's thoroughly enjoying it now that he's lowered the difficulty a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Mesadoram posted:

Well, poo poo.

Since I am a dirty scumbag turtle, what empire has troops like the Rhodok? I am playing the empire and I am sad that they do not have A) Horse troops B) Giant shield users. Or I might be missing something and their top troops are calvary.

Two words:
Elite Kataphraktoi

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
How's the roaving band of Horse Archers gameplay? I always loved the idea for Warband but unfortunately the AI made it very unusable compared to a simple staggering block of archers and shieldwall. Cavalry often got stuck and while that's not too bad for armored mounts, it really made the mounted archers suffer.

If there's actual skirmish AI in this I could see getting into that aspect.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Gobblecoque posted:

Horse archers are awesome in Bannerlord. Unlike in Warband they'll actually ride around enemies while shooting. Melee cav will also try to charge through or past enemies to attack and then ride away a decent bit to make another pass instead of just getting stuck.

:unsmigghh:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

fnox posted:

The hideout mechanic is the worst thing I've seen thus far. Not only does it sometimes just make you wait arbitrarily for midnight even though sometimes it's morning by the time you're done, it's also that they seemingly forgot there's no stealth mechanics. You also can't pick your party so you get stuck with 8 guys trying to pick off bandits as the 6 recruits you're stuck with face block harpoons. The reward is also minimal.

In Warband you had to adjust the position of your troops in the roster, where those at the top of the lists would be picked first in fights (excluding companions)

Is that not a thing in this? It picks them at absolute random?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Do yourself a favor and make a character called Temüjin Borjigin and roam around with a bad rear end band of Kazaith horsemen. I hope they never nerf them.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Stupid question but where the hell do you get a companion? It seems like every city just has merchants and gang leaders who I obviously can't recruit. I've only run into one person who wanted to join me, and the first thing he told me was that he was basically a sadist so I turned him down to avoid drama down the line. But when I did that I assumed it would be easy to find another one to hire. I'm stuck unable to rebuild my clan because I can't find a companion.

They are the “wanderers” you can find in taverns. You can see the list of those in your world if you press “N” for the glossary and go to the Heroes tab. (Why there is no way to access that help without digging inside the keyboards shortcut I really don’t know. It’s so useful)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Also can anyone confirm if the list gets repopulated if you enable death for them and they die?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Slumpy posted:

I bought 3 workshops during the 200 income cap patch and was not too fussed about it, thought it was balanced enough.. Until they removed it.

I immediately gained near 2.5 Million denars until it fixed itself and now I make a profit of about 1000+ while owning a city and 4 workshops (and a big army/garrison).

Anyone else get hit with that at all? Seems odd for me to just get a metric poo poo ton of income and then have it dwindle to nothing over an in game week.

Money is literally no issue for me for the foreseeable future and I don't even know what to do with it.

The way I understand it is that workshop dole out their profits to you. So what happened when they put the cap on was that workshops would send 200 of the cash they had amassed, and kept the rest in bank. So when they removed the cap they just sent you all they had accumulated, until it’s back down to regular daily profits.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

NeurosisHead posted:

How are you guys getting over that first 15k hump to start investing in caravans and workshops for residual income? Quests for fiefs and looter left overs don't really seem to be enough to get me there, are you doing mercenary work or what?

My strat has been the following:

When you get to 3K gold, it's actually worth it to start trading. A few good trades will put you so far ahead it is unbelievable. You can always start mercenary work and try to reap the rewards of your battles, but that seems highly dependant on lucking out on a few good battles. Trading isn't so much luck as just eventual profit. Buy low (check for green number on prices), and sell high (red numbers). You CAN hunt around for rumors and such, but I find it a pain in the rear end. Later perks in the trading tree can make that less of a hassle by specializing in workshops or caravans and they can then add to rumors of profit. Make sure to have one proper horse (IE not sumpter) for every foot troop you have, to increase travelling speed.

So until then: just buy low what you need, and plan a path, stop at each city, check the prices, have a variety of products, sell high, just keep going around Calradia. You'll hit 20k before you know it.

I spent an entire year doing this but decided to restart since the Kazhait where starting to steamroll the map already. I hope the latest fix (reduce lords surrender chance) helps mitigate that somewhat. We'll see!

/edit/ One more thing: ideally, try staying off of consumables since you never know how long it might take to find your super profitable location.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 3, 2020

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
The mod looks really nice but I’m really not sure about toying with mods while the game is still getting daily patches. We’re basically playing with hot code.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
A review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjxbCCNxeWQ

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
:siren: Forming your own kingdoms puts the game on Dark Souls difficulty. Only attempt this if you already have a base of holdings and have good relations with many lords in order to attempt to recruit them. Otherwise stick to vassalizing to accrue a bigger base of supporters. :siren:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Nosre posted:

it's dumb that all horses (including Sumpters) are called 'horse' at the top of the tooltip, but there's a 2nd 'horse' label down at the bottom which is the one that matters

its deffinitely a loving programmer that wrote that more than a designer, or a programmer turned designer. like "Wow, I can't understand why people get confused by my Variable of type variable interacting with my Method of type method in this Class that I named class!!!111!"

that's why we get loving Horse of the type Horse of the object class Horse.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

quote:

Overhauled all of the NPC faces to reduce asymmetry, tone down exaggerations and create culturally appropriate and appealing phenotypes.

BOO! >:[

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Midgetskydiver posted:

I crafted a homemade version of the executioner axe and sold it for 10k. Yeah smithing is pretty awesome if you just tone down the stamina bullshit.

does leveling smithing gives more stamina or something? I feel that could be worth it...

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
holy poo poo lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr-IbMZWVF0

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
im super bummed they toned down the range for derpy faces. i really hope they make a come back through a well thought out mod.

Also: I remember seeing the character creator much more detailed in a preview, I swear it was. Any words if that is still to be improved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Would you rather fight 10 armies of 300 or 300 armies of 10?