Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Arivia posted:

Alright I’ll bite. I think it’s 104 according to BEDMAS (apparently the term is different in different countries, that’s what we called it in Canada and Jerry Cotton or Tiggum can strike at any point) - multiplication is the highest order operation, so that’s 25 * 0 = 0.

Leaves me with 50 + 50 - 0 + 2 + 2 = 104.
That's correct. You have some people in the replies there going "we were always taught to just do it from left to right!"(no you weren't, you just don't remember your math classes from decades ago), which will give you 4.

then you have the real big brains saying stuff like this
https://twitter.com/soniabsuffolk/status/1444032626273226754
which is only possible if you're going left-to-right and also pretending that 'x 0' just doesn't mean anything at all

LazyMaybe has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Oct 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it doesn't "in reality" because the concept of multiplying by zero does not correlate with any real phenomenon, it is a purely mathematical construction. You can have X amount of things and add or subtract Y amounts, and you can have X sets of Y things or desire to separate X things into Y piles, but multiplying by zero does indeed not make much sense in "reality"
glad to see that a goon is dumber than one of the random replies to the linked social media post

https://twitter.com/gordoncraig11/status/1444177446178332681
"multiplied by 0" is absolutely a concept that applies to reality, and in fact does so very often

flavor.flv posted:

It shouldn't, but take the equation

8/2(2+2)

Following PEMDAS gets you 1, but BEDMAS gets you 16
PEMDAS doesn't get you 1 from that.

The way I was taught to interpret PEMDAS(and the way it's been taught for a long time) is that, once you do the (2+2) and are left with
8/2(4)
You now do all the multiplication and division from left to right, including the 2(4), resulting in 16.

The only way you wouldn't is if you multiply the 2(4) first, but why would you? The only way is if you erroneously believe that multiplying a number by an adjacent bracketed number should be done before 'normal' multiplication/division, but PEMDAS doesn't tell you to do that any more than BEDMAS does.

Both PEMDAS and BEDMAS put division and multiplication on the same level, and then you go from left to right. They're just phrased slightly differently.

LazyMaybe has a new favorite as of 11:43 on Oct 2, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

KozmoNaut posted:

Multiplication and division have equal priority, so you go from left to right.

The whole confusion stems from children being taught rote memorization of stupid "rules of thumb", instead of an actual understanding of math.
it mostly actually stems from people just misremembering what they were taught because it was decades ago and they haven't been using the knowledge so it fades away, which is why you have people in the comments to everything like this going "back in the day we were all taught to just do everything in the order it was written!"

PEMDAS/BEDMAS, taught correctly, are as close to actual understanding of math you are going to be able to teach children in a reasonable timeframe.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
calling SA 'social media' is either an insult or excessive praise depending on how you look at it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

OwlFancier posted:

I think this is rather more easily rendered as "money has not changed hands" which is how people would have conceptualized it for a long time before the invention of the concept of mathematical zero. You need that concept to already exist before you would ever think about it that way.

Like you would not describe the absence of anything occuring as a thing that could have occured, occuring zero times.
If I spend 5 hours fishing, but catch 0 fish each hour, that's 5*0=0.
Or like the earlier quoted example, if 5 of my coworkers bring 2 tools, and 5 don't, that's 5 * 2 + 5 * 0 = 10

there are many many obvious examples of multiplying by zero applying to real life. the concept did not arise from nowhere, like all math it exists to describe things that occur in reality.

LazyMaybe has a new favorite as of 12:24 on Oct 2, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

OwlFancier posted:

Observationally however you have no fish, and you have never had any fish, and there isn't any difference between having 5x0 fish, 1x0 fish, and just not having fish. Fishn't.
the difference between spending 5 hours getting 0 fish per hour is actually very noticeable from spending 1 hour getting 0 fish per hour
alternatively maybe you spent 2 hours getting no fish and then another 2 hours getting 2 fish per hour. 2 * 0 + 2 * 2.

mathematical 0 has existed for thousands of years, especially in economic contexts. ancient egyptians were using a symbol for 0 in accounting as early as 1770 BC. I mean of course it hasn't existed for literally all of human history in all contexts but it's been around for an extremely long time and is very evidently useful, especially once money(or even just complex bartering) exist so I don't really understand what your point is aside from pretending that multiplying by zero doesn't correlate to reality which is just demonstrably false

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's fair to say that's it's conceptual and more easily forgotten when out of practice than other common math stuff, but that's not the same as "does not correlate with any real phenomenon" when money is very much real

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Phyzzle posted:

So it should be PE{MD}{AS} where Braces mean the operations inside have the same priority, or "BMOIHSP".
I mean, I guess. You'd have to do the same thing with BEDMAS because with both neither multiplication/division or addition/subtraction are supposed to come 'before' the other.

But really you shouldn't make either of those changes because you're making it clunky to say, and it's meant to be an easy to remember mnemonic that reminds you of the rules you learned in primary school. It's not meant to carry all the complexity of order of operations in just the series of letters, it wouldn't be catchy if it did and then it wouldn't do its job.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
can only read this in the willy wonka rant voice

you STOLE fizzy lifting drinks! It's over & you aren't going to make it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zil posted:

No wonder the furry artists are pissed, NFTs are luring away their whales.
no they're not lol

furries exclusively shittalk this sort of thing, the only people that buy NFT stuff are other NFT grifters who think that they can rip off someone else(who then thinks they can rip off another guy, who then thinks they can...)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
they also aren't doing that anyways he just has a bi son

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ranbo das posted:

BTK is a rather infamous US serial killer, with BTK standing for Bind Torture Kill.

So maybe not the association you want.
lived in the US my whole life and I've never heard of this so I feel like it's probably not that well known now

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean, I'm in my mid-20s and all that guy's killings where he sent the police letters and was given the "BTK Killer" name before he was caught happened literally before I was born

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Read After Burning posted:

Eh, BTK is pretty infamous, but his case didn't have the "glamour" of like, Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, or Jeffrey Dahmer...until that Stephen King movie came out in 2014, and even that wasn't very popular.

If you have any interest in true crime (much less are an obsessed loser like me), it seems kinda hard to believe someone hasn't really heard of BTK. But I've definitely met folks who had no idea who he was, but HAVE heard of the others I mentioned. Maybe because he went dormant for a while?
I will anecdotally say I do recognize all those other names, they all seem like "the famous ones" to me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No? I just think posing in a shark costume on twitter is an odd thing to do in general, especially with no other context.
it's just a goofy costume man

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
elevate alternative sexual archetypes in the marketplace ('fastest mario')

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

christmas boots posted:

That thing where you can’t find your phone and you spend ages looking for your phone and then you realize that your phone is in your hand and that’s why you couldn’t find it
that's called dementia

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

you, an idiot: samus is cool

me, a feminist: samus would be prettier if she smiled more often
also: "samus should behave more like other female characters in fiction rather than being different"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
as much as I hate the game, there's no real case for other m not being canon. because all canon is in this context is "the creators consider them part of the official universe", and they do, out of character behavior and small plot nitpicks aside.
that's also why you shouldn't care at all whether anything is "canon" or not in basically any context though

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

kirbysuperstar posted:

Other M is part of the timeline pictures at the end of Dread (while the Prime series isn't) depending on your item percentage, take that as you will.
Even if it wasn't, the game is canon, regardless of it being terrible. And so is Prime until either of them are explicitly deconfirmed by Nintendo(which isn't likely to happen) since all canon means is what media is part of a franchise's "official" continuity.
The reason Other M is in the timeline at the end of dread and Prime isn't is because that timeline is just the mainline Metroid series. Aka, Metroid 1 to 5, and Other M is essentially Metroid 3.5 and slots right in there between Super and Fusion.
Stuff like the manga and non-mainline metroid games(like hunters, federation force, prime) aren't included because they're side games and that list just isn't trying to show a full comprehensive timeline of all Metroid media(despite how much everyone likes prime) but they're still all canon(despite how much everyone dislikes federation force).
A full timeline would look more like this, the timeline shown in dread just being that top main series.

Cleretic posted:

For example, it claims that the Space Pirates are basically wild animals without a Mother Brain to control them like a hive mind; since Super Metroid involves the Space Pirates working independently to rebuild their Zebes base, that means that Other M declares Super Metroid at least partially non-canon.
The space pirates in Other M specifically are like that, but they're weird cyborgs made by the federation for use as bioweapons. Which is why they don't have their own intelligence and are controlled by an AI.
In fact, they made it more clear later that those cyborg zebesians are not like the normal ones that are intelligent, in a smash bros. trophy description of all places:

tl;dr: canon is a mostly meaningless approval stamp that you basically shouldn't think about at all

LazyMaybe has a new favorite as of 11:40 on Oct 19, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
unfortunately that guy is real and his name is Yoshio Sakamoto

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

lollontee posted:

wait he died in the movies? i literally cannot remember
yeah this guy stabbed him

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I thought it was a bullet lodged further into the barrel somehow, that then got propelled out by a blank. Or something like that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
girdershape of ecstasy

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pththya-lyi posted:

This, plus there is a scene where one of the others suggests he write to his mother and ask her for a replacement, and he refuses because he doesn't want to get in trouble with her for breaking expensive poo poo when money's tight. To be fair, it's very plausible for a 12-year-old to take on severe consequences rather than admit to their parents that they hosed up.
also harry makes the choice to not give his poor friends his money(which he inherited and did not earn), and the story presents this as the correct choice because it would be insulting to help them financially

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the early books are fine. book 1 has clever bits, book 2 is eh and book 3 is pretty good

then not only is it all downhill from there but her lovely politics become more and more prevalent

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
fondly remembering the bit in one of the last books where dumbledore puts his wand in his teeth like a marine's knife, and then leaps into raging seas with enormous waves crashing against the rocky shore and swims through it to a cave like a superhuman micheal phelps despite being over 100 years old

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/littietorch/status/1494881032763592704
https://twitter.com/saccharinings/status/1494885141780766721
stumbled across this incomprehensible little spat which seems to be about whether or not you can write triad stories in english fanfiction

e: the first tweet already got hidden but it was this

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
she's also just right, so basically stay mad

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
late but wrt the blizzard diversity chart thing, apparently the artists within blizzard are pissed about it
https://twitter.com/_mlktea/status/1525507447548366848
none of them actually use it and some of them apparently didn't even know that it exists lol.
imagine working lovely hours for a company and putting in your all and then they post something like this lmao

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's just a bad cartoon movie

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rduk6gTmkJ1x4pmbc.mp4
new guy just dropped

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

christmas boots posted:

I don't know if it's the right word exactly, but the after picture looks so generic.
there's no right word but also it's basically true that this is the sort of thing that is done by someone who doesn't understand that there's more than 1 way to be attractive

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/RyanMarino/status/1554222939670827008

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm honestly stuck on loop laughing at the way she said 'YES! I BELIEVE IT' immediately after hearing the most unhinged poo poo I've ever heard

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
this is the stupidest thing to fixate on here but like

we all understand that fish is meat, right. it's just a little cheat that everyone following those traditions agrees to allow because it makes life easier

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's not about the killing animals part.

The tradition is about self-sacrifice and giving up the "good, expensive" food like farmed meat for cheaper alternatives... which fish used to be a few hundred years ago. Beef was "the good stuff" while fish was just medieval poor people food.
tbh my feelings on this probably mostly come less from the religious basis and more from having known multiple vegetarians who eat fish

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Definitely way harder if you live in a big city. But regardless it shouldn't matter, she's just talking about enjoying something nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/punished3liza/status/1596588525087952896

not the twitter poster