Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

April is going to be wild. Godspeed UK goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Velvet Underground

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I was wondering about the two u's and it was bloody obvious.

What's the giant standing spoon?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

"duh how did I miss that" on the Guns'n'Roses.

Beach Boys with surfboards in the back?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

the tiny stegasaurus,

Stegadon?

What about the black flag?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Cypress Hill? Googling images of cypresses hasn't really helped confirm.

They could pass for cypresses.

You could claim The Animals for the collective on show as well I suppose.

[edit] I can't see any super furry animals.

Munin fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 2, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

EmptyVessel posted:

Also, no Velvet Underground.

Travesty!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

happyhippy posted:

gently caress, Sky News has some reporter driving across Italy and its got the same tone as The Road.

That sounds like a loving stupid idea. What precautions are they taking?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Azza Bamboo posted:

With nightingale and the other facilities being erected, and retired health staff being brought back in, the Tories are well on their way to building 40 new hospitals and employing 50,000 more nurses.

:kheldragar:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

Never accused anyone of voting for him, but this thread hiveminded nastily against any idea of respecting the referendum result so how is this not the exact result you wanted? Awsome lefty manifesto + respecting the referendum = historically unprecedented swing to the good, Awesome lefty manifesto + making GBS threads on the referendum result= getting historically owned.

Nah, as long as the Brexit thing is what things where hanging on Labour was hosed either way as long as they didn't lay the groundwork with one or the other constituency. The sad truth is that Labour needed both leave and remain voters to win and by sitting between two chairs didn't really get much of either.

[edit] I should say that if Labour turn into the UK equivalent of the Dems then blergh.

It's also disheartening to see that it looks like it might very well lead to a revolution since the system certainly isn't showing any capability of reforming itself...

Munin fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 5, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

What do you base that on?

imo almost anybody willing to switch from voting Labour to Tory over Brexit can be brought back to Labour

Either that or it shows that they weren't bought into the left Labour project and the only thing making them vote Labour was residual tribal affiliation and they would have flaked soon anyway.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

bessantj posted:

New Labour leader Starmer praised by Jewish groups for 'good start'

Starmer off to a good start by flipping everyones switch from anti-Semite to pro-Semite or some such.

I presume he was very careful not to comment on this:
https://twitter.com/TimesofIsrael/status/1247200906178772992

and then that statement comes out or am I being too cynical?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

bionic vapour boy posted:

Broadly, identity politics refers to like.... queer rights, feminism, disability rights, etc etc.

That ship has kind of sailed though. "White Identity" and "White Identity Politics" is part of the discourse these days. As is often the case the language and expressive power of the powerless is being appropriated by the powerful.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

XMNN posted:

lol I just remembered when everyone was watching her fly home from Uganda e: Kenya to get sacked

Yeah, but she definitely isn't an anti-semite as shown by that scandal!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I thought some UKMT people might get a kick out of this article about the cool charts that were create to illustrate the impact of the 5 year plan:
https://medium.com/nightingale/exploring-soviet-isotypes-digitizing-the-struggle-for-five-years-in-four-50df7417a766

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
Th' oppressor’s wrong, the proud man’s contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law’s delay,
The insolence of office, and the spurns
That patient merit of th' unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin?

Conscience doe not make us cowards though.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Man, I knew the Labour establishment had its share of shitbags but this is stunning.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Even if you don't like Zoom it is still worth packing out that call to at least show the the membership thinks its an important issue. If no-one bothers to take part it is going to be another signal for them that the impact of them sweeping it under the carpet will be minimal.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Jippa posted:

I had to look up that general mills logo (to the left of kellogs).

What is that symbol?

A style of cursive "g".

[edit] Don't read and watch the video as no one needs to know more about their most recent rebrand: https://blog.generalmills.com/2017/12/our-new-logo-tells-an-evolving-story/

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Indeed, and in the comments to the paper I posted a few have mentioned things like lockdowns being earlier/better observed in countries with mandatory vaccination in general being another possible confounding factor. Without a plausible mechanism it's impossible to pick much signal out of the noise, but it has to be worth investigating.

A more robust vaccination program being a proxy for a generally better prepared and set up set of healthcare institutions wouldn't be totally out of left field.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Beautiful birds!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

It's communal tensions all the way down. :smith:

I heard Gypsies being commonly and, let's say, not intentionally pejoratively, being called Zigeuner and tzigane when I was a kid. Rom is definitely the preferred name these days though.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Pennfalath posted:

In Belgium, 'zigeuner' is still the commonly used term even though 'Roma-zigeuner' is the one accepted as correct. All my comic books also used to call all of them zigeuners, but fortunately did not all treat them as all being thieves and criminals.

Yeah, French wise I mostly saw Roma in bande dessinée (classic French style comics) and there while they were treated as exotic it was mostly in a favorable light. Same with most of the children's literature I read in German.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Shame about actual France.

(Not that the UK has any moral high ground on that one, now we elected an explicitly anti-Traveller government.)

Yeah.

To me the funny thing is that it's not something that was propagandized from childhood and I feel that attitudes have definitely hardened as capitalist and property first thinking have become more and more prominent. Then again it's probably just me becoming more aware of these things over time rather than being an oblivious kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

golden bubble posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1252841436317315072
https://twitter.com/pranesh/status/1252886640063729668

And the numbers are very similar to what the UK Institute and Faculty of Actuaries Continuous Mortality Investigation are estimating for the same value.

https://www.actuaries.org.uk/news-and-insights/news/cmi-calculates-deaths-attributable-covid-19

The lockdown likely reduced deaths from other causes. For example car crashes or other infectious diseases. If anything that drop might mask some of the Covid deaths yet I see this trotted out again and again...