Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I am looking forward to posting with you all for the next thousand years this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

tag yourself I'm muscles soldier with the sleeveless lab coat

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Vox Nihili posted:

Yellowstone last erupted ~650k, 1.4m, and 2.1m years ago. Are we totally due for the next one? Yes, but we're equally "due" for thousands of other threats as well, so don't focus too much on it!

Like, a pandemic, for example :hmmyes:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

kazr posted:

i'm starting a job in my state's largest hospital tomorrow :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjVmeKWOsEU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
In the US, it's still March

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

I'm gonna be the guy but while this is not the right way to address things obviously you really shouldn't wear contaminated PPE outside of contaminated rooms

If the public halls weren't contaminated before, they are once you wear PPE from a sick room to a not sick room

This is the whole reason we use disposable PPE, the thing is we need to be doing warm zone decons and it's practically impossible to achieve that so the other way would be making whole hospitals sick/not sick and wearing full PPE in the sick hospital at all times and deconing when you leave. From the looks of it, and given the level of PPE that you see like the Korean or Chinese medical staff in, I assume that's what they're doing.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Rauros posted:

worrying about the optics of wearing masks in hallways seems like a lost cause when their are refrigerator trucks in the parking lot

It's not the optics, it's that if you wear an N95 into a contaminated room and then wear the same N95 into an uncontaminated hallway you contaminate the hallway when you breathe out and agitate all the trapped virus particles

Even if it's not very likely, you really really have to treat PPE like that because you defeat the whole point of following BSI protocols when you half-rear end them and especially at scale

The optics might be what the boss is concerned about, I don't know, but it's real bad practice to wear PPE continually while transitioning from sick to not-sick areas.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

I love the idea that the Chinese just say the right numbers but it's the interpreters that have done the lie.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Rauros posted:

yeah, i get that. i've just seen other stories about MBA's worrying about optics of wearing PPE rather than biosecurity protocols, and this article mentioned the administrators being worried about their hospitals being seen as unclean.

Yeah that's smallbrain business idiots who shouldn't be allowed in hospitals

no not even when they're sick

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Bird flu I worked in pharmacy, nobody gave a poo poo and it was all media hype. We got flooded with awareness poo poo and like emergency stocks and poo poo and had to do a bunch of trainings but as far as I know it was barely human to human transmissible if at all. It had a bad mortality rate but was hard to catch, basically

Swine flu I worked on a pediatric psych ward and we did pretty strict lockdowns and had to restrict and screen visitors but nobody was worried about people dying, mostly we were worried about a unit getting it because it's real difficult to quarantine 10 year olds with mental illnesses to their rooms for weeks

The first one nobody took seriously because barely anybody got it, the second one nobody took seriously because it wasn't extremely terrible

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Based on present numbers the US has fewer serious/critical cases by population than other countries at only 2.5% of cases being serious/critical, but also a higher mortality at 2% or so.

I am guessing some of that is because of catching patients early at ERs and discharging them before they deteriorate, so I am guessing our number of critical patients will trend up as the number of total cases starts to level.

I guess a bit part of that is just testing capacity and the number of known cases at this point, but I think other countries are seeing a higher rate of serious/critical and a lower rate of death and I can't help but think that's because people ain't going to hospitals.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Even of known cases, even in the US, only 5% need hospitalization. Of the 5% that needs hospitalization, 20% die.

There is no 20% hospitalization rate or the disease most likely would have self-limited.

The numbers in the US when I ran them last night were only 2% severe/critical (hospitalized) and 2% die. I have no idea where you would get a 20% hospitalization rate.

And that doesn't account for the likely numerous asymptomatic or so-mild-as-to-never-report cases. Or false negatives.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

They do it, we do it, everybody does it!!!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yes, the hospitals will get overloaded.

Yes, healthcare providers will have to make hard decisions about who can be saved.

Yes, many people will die at home because they don't want or can't afford to go to the hospital, or just because our culture has trained people not to go to hospitals because it's unaffordable.

No, 50 million people won't need hospitalization.

Yes, people will die who otherwise might survive if the hospital system weren't overloaded, but there won't be 50 million of them.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Can you quote the "numbers you ran"

From last night? No, because they have changed and I didn't write down the poo poo I ran.

From now? Yes.

Presently in the US there are 190,022 cases confirmed. Of those, 4102 have died.
4102/190022=0.02158 or 2.2% mortality. It's not perfect because we know more people have died at home or without confirmation, but it's probably in the ballpark.

In the US, there are 178,646 confirmed cases active right now. Of those, 4,576 are severe/critical.
4576/178646=0.0256 or 2.6% hospitalized. There are almost certainly many more cases that have not been tested, but because the US testing policy many places is "has shown up to the hospital," it's unlikely the untested cases are severe enough to be seen at a hospital.

Many of the cases that are not hospitalized are people who have called family doctors or been seen at urgent cares or so on and been told "yeah it's the bad poo poo, stay home and call 911 if you can't breathe."

There is likely a good chunk of those who were tested who weren't admitted at the time but will be admitted later as they deteriorate. It's probably not gonna be 17.5% of those people.

Globally, the numbers on Worldometer look like this:

That's basically the trend. 5% need hospitalized. 20% of the hospitalized cases die.

There's nothing that suggests 20% of people need hospitalization.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Like I'm not saying a whole fuckload of people aren't gonna die and that the hospital systems are gonna hold it together because that's insane and clearly not happening but assuming 50 million people are gonna die because 20% need hospital support isn't supported by any numbers I can think of

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

hepatizon posted:

You're ignoring the time dimension. The disease often takes a ~a week after symptoms begin to progress to a severe form. In exponential growth, half the cases are newer than the doubling period. The vast majority of US cases have not had time to develop severe symptoms.

The only useful statistics on severity are from populations that are not in exponential growth.

I understand that, but we can look at numbers from places that are ahead of us on the curve and we're not seeing 20% hospitalization rates or 20% needing hospitalization so like I said, those numbers aren't accurate but they're indicative. We'll see some millions dead but not 50 million.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

wow this is some amazing armchair epidemiology you should post it on medium.com

:nallears:

I haven't made any outlandish predictions tho I'm afraid I need a lawyer to tell us only 15 going to 0 if I want clicks

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I predict that everyone will die

inshallah

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

fewer vehicle accidents, traumas, fatal violence, shootings, etc. maybe?

lmao nah we're gonna find out that elective medical procedures and going to the hospital for minor diseases is like the number one killer in America lmao

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Durf posted:

i've noticed a lot more firetrucks rolling out lately

I assume from all the people cooking for the first time

could be, some places the fire engines are where the paramedics live and the ambulances just have BLS staffing

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/dodaistewart/status/1245316678629699586
buried in the middle of this article is the little factlet that in Bushwick, 68% of tests are coming back positive

And I think we've seen 20% false negative rates thrown around anecdotally in the last thread yeah???

lmao the whole city has it

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

shovelbum posted:

New York is at 21% and rising

New York is literally only testing people at the hospitals right now.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Homeless Friend posted:

I'll order the body bags

Fed gonna outbid you :smith:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

nikosoft posted:

I desperately needed a haircut so I used my husband's clippers with the highest guard on them. I already had an old lady short hair style before this, so I didn't think it would be that bad, but it turns out with shorter hair that I look exactly like a chimpanzee. lol I owned myself

go shorter

full Furiosa

it's also more hygienic hair can trap a lot of suspended particles

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Bruteman posted:

Took an exploratory walk through "the covid threat is overblown, the government is loving us and destroying the economy on purpose, gently caress you I'm smarter than you and I do what I want" twitter tonight and, folks, it is lit.

please post your most significant findings itt

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

HORROR OF GEESE posted:

Hey, what's the SpO2 number where you should be worried again? My shortness of breath has been getting worse the past few days and—though I don't have any other symptoms—it might be time for me to head in. What's the deal med goons?

EMTs give O2 at 94% under most protocols.

If I see 94% resting I'm gonna be wondering what is up and looking for what the causes are.

If you live at very high altitude this changes is something I learned in Ladakh but that doesn't apply anywhere in the US that I know of but if you live like at 9000 ft in Colorado or something you'll want to look for specifics.

Edit: it's quarantine, I'm gonna do this myself actually.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Pulse oximetry at altitude is a fuckin' rabbit hole because of periodic breathing holy moly

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Der Meister posted:

if it is hard for you to breathe go in immediately regardless of what the device says.

Yeah it's this

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

lmao combine this with the 68% positive rate on tests done in NYC and that's basically "the whole city has it" lol

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

new kind of cat posted:

we are all losing our fuckibg minds even those who live offline

especially those who live offline

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Lessail posted:

i'm sick of all the "everything changed overnight but our company is here for you" ads

gently caress off

but if not the companies, who will stand by us in this hard time?

the government? certainly not, they're just maximizing their chances for reelection

our neighbors? no way, they are savages who are just waiting for a chance to kill us for our beans

look at the selfless corporate delivery drivers tho who risk everything to bring us things from Amazon Dot Com! these are people who can stand by us.

but people can fail, people can die, people will always abandon us

corporations are forever, and our only hope,,

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

MoaM posted:

the further away i am from a hospital, the safer i shall be!

:thunk:

if you think about it a lot of sick people are turning up at these hospitals

something about hospitals, probably

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

slopJoe 2020330 posted:

they literally should not run these polls. what possible reason is there to run these polls??

recording how dumb we all were for alien archaeologists

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

D1E posted:

The best tracking website has updated:

lmao, scoreboard motherfuckers

we're gonna win the olympics

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

1024x768 posted:

can someone link me that website that chronicles the day-by-day breakdown of % positive tests and # total tests done in the USA

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Homeless Friend posted:

tho i dunno how you have no blood flow/oxygen and survive a ambulance ride long enough not to experience brain death

They don't pronounce in the field in New York?

Maryland has had us pronouncing in the field after unsuccessful CPR since like 2016

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Lol if you don't chant the mantra of the medicine buddha in front of a glass of water to bless the water then drink it to protect yourself from Coronavirus.

Logyonma/Parnashavari also good for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

1024x768 posted:

This is good, but I am after the one that tracks testing #s

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/testing-in-us.html

This maybe?