Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

NofrikinfuN posted:

i wonder how much this is offset by death tolls being higher than initially expected

how many people will coast through the worst of this on an unexpected inheritance? will banks decide houses arent worth foreclosing if nobody is capable of buying in the first place? it would be better to keep homeowners where they are than risk an asset being destroyed forever

there are more variables in play right now than anyone can account for

I'm going to laugh real loving hard if death claims against 401ks, annuities, etc tips us over the cliff this time rather than foreclosures or missed auto payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

snoo posted:

you are right but we don't see the whales inventing capitalism now do we

Nothing in the natural world supports capitalism. Community and social good however...

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am 20 page behind on this thread. But somebody was talking about taking public transportation once a month to work.

My advise is don't. Get an ebike or electric scooter. It will cost you 1k but its worth it. I have been an ebike rider for 3 years riding 13 mile each way to downtown manhattan. The short story is the bigger city you are in, the more likely you will save time on your ebike/scooter commute because the public transportation options are so bad in US metropolitan.

My ebike is broken ATM so I am planning to get an electric scooter as soon as my work require me to go back to work. I am planning to get a $800 Turbowheel Swift. It's got enough suspension/brake/power to most riders. Don't get the $400 Xiaomi. If you want suggestion on ebikes, I would say any ebike with a 48v motor and over 10AH battery is good enough. But stick with companies that have been the business for 5+ years. Like Radpower, Voltbike, or whatever that has service option locally.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
i'm sick of all the "everything changed overnight but our company is here for you" ads

gently caress off

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Lessail posted:

i'm sick of all the "everything changed overnight but our company is here for you" ads

gently caress off

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

how much stricter can you be than Stay At Home?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
lmao the imperial model thinks that there are between 7 and 43 million infections currently in just part of europe (somewhere between 2 and 11% of the population)

welp

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

pathetic little tramp posted:

lol he's absolutely correct

loads of uber drivers and other gig workers are just not working now and probably have no claim to unemployment as it is - they're essentially employed with no work.

and it's not just gig workers, it's a lot of sectors

At some point they may show up due to the bernie benefits in unemployment but considering states aren't implementing that yet who knows

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Welp, looks like my local credit union is going to collapse this month or the next according to the rumor mill. I wonder which lovely multinational bank will buy my mortgage and find some way to gently caress me?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
it almost makes sense too. in aggregate, the rate old people die is pretty drat constant. it's not like RMDs swing wildly year to year. so why would any firm have enough cash on hand to cover claims on 30% of their matured, guaranteed payout products?

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Schnorkles posted:

lmao the imperial model thinks that there are between 7 and 43 million infections currently in just part of europe (somewhere between 2 and 11% of the population)

welp

found one (it's your post)

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Lessail posted:

gently caress off

most of the ones ive seen are just WASH YOUR HANDS AND BUY OUR poo poo

i got an email about covid from loving neogaf, a forum i have not visited in over a decade

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

welp

The second fall of western civilization.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am 20 page behind on this thread. But somebody was talking about taking public transportation once a month to work.

My advise is don't. Get an ebike or electric scooter. It will cost you 1k but its worth it. I have been an ebike rider for 3 years riding 13 mile each way to downtown manhattan. The short story is the bigger city you are in, the more likely you will save time on your ebike/scooter commute because the public transportation options are so bad in US metropolitan.

My ebike is broken ATM so I am planning to get an electric scooter as soon as my work require me to go back to work. I am planning to get a $800 Turbowheel Swift. It's got enough suspension/brake/power to most riders. Don't get the $400 Xiaomi. If you want suggestion on ebikes, I would say any ebike with a 48v motor and over 10AH battery is good enough. But stick with companies that have been the business for 5+ years. Like Radpower, Voltbike, or whatever that has service option locally.

Just ride a bike

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

snoo posted:

god humanity is just loving trash

it's ecofascism to suggest that, if we all just chilled the gently caress out and stopped mass overproduction in pursuit of number go up, we might be able to make the planet better

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

eric ciaramella posted:

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm unemployed now and can't file for UI because I've been a freelancer contractor for the past 6 years lmao. Weeeeee!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

eric ciaramella posted:

he carved out a bunch of poo poo as essential that is by no means essential

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

florida is actively trying to turn itself blue

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009
Louisiana's cases up 40% overnight, supposedly due to backlog of testing. Deaths now up to 310.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Lessail posted:

gently caress off

but if not the companies, who will stand by us in this hard time?

the government? certainly not, they're just maximizing their chances for reelection

our neighbors? no way, they are savages who are just waiting for a chance to kill us for our beans

look at the selfless corporate delivery drivers tho who risk everything to bring us things from Amazon Dot Com! these are people who can stand by us.

but people can fail, people can die, people will always abandon us

corporations are forever, and our only hope,,

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

eric ciaramella posted:

making it an actual stay at home order and massive start questioning what is "essential" versus what makes number go up

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

And to think, this was all caused in the end by a relatively (in comparison to pandemics in the past) mild cold.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

facetoucher cat posted:

I'm unemployed now and can't file for UI because I've been a freelancer contractor for the past 6 years lmao. Weeeeee!

:tif:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

twoday posted:

do you ever get distracted and completely forget about the pandemic and feel like everything everything is normal for a little while? and then you remember that there is a pandemic and you start feeling terrible and freaking out?

yeah, I've been going out and just socializing with people a lot more to just forget about what's going on

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

snoo posted:

you are right but we don't see the whales inventing capitalism now do we

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1245792249591586816
lots of people in for a surprise!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

eric ciaramella posted:

Have you seen Florida's list of exemptions? It would have been faster for them to write out the businesses that are not essential

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

VectorSigma posted:

florida is actively trying to turn itself blue

From the collective lack of oxygen, yeah

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Telsa Cola posted:

This is like from 18 pages back but people should really look at his speech because he literally outlined the course the war would take and the eventual result in a manner that was eerily correct.

Granted it wasn't exactly a feat of clairvoyance to say the agricultural south wouldn't hold their own in a war against the far more industrialized north, and Sherman, living there before the war, likely knew how utterly hosed the logistics would be for the south even without the political horseshit that went on between the seceded states. By 1861 it was pretty obvious that slavery was not welcome in Europe and what supply-side embargoes didn't finish, a blockade by the American navy would.

Basically the only place that believed the South had any leverage was the South, and it wasn't a question before the war either. The North could absorb way more losses in men and material, they'd (eventually lmao) stop giving out military commands as political favors and start putting competent officers in charge, and ultimately they'd win. Hell, had almost anyone but McClellan been in charge of the American side at the peninsula campaign they probably would have captured Richmond.

That's not to discount Uncle Terror Billy, the guy was decades ahead of his time on total war doctrine and his Georgia campaign probably nailed the coffin lid closed on the confederates as much as Grant and Meade's 1863 Victory Week did, if not moreso.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

the further away i am from a hospital, the safer i shall be!

:thunk:

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
love 2 hav a serious testing backlog that creates a perpetual covid death undercount

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Feldegast42 posted:

And to think, this was all caused in the end by a relatively (in comparison to pandemics in the past) mild cold.

It was inevitable that the big pandemic was going to be something kind of boring, and not something that makes you literally explode like ebola. It needs to get under the radar.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

just the flu bro
https://twitter.com/WBrettWilson/status/1245518540834091008?s=20

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Is he melting?! o_0

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Torpor posted:

love 2 hav a serious testing backlog that creates a perpetual covid death undercount

*Austin Powers Goldmember Voice*

I like stooooooocks...

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Torpor posted:

there's a lot of deaths op

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

a whole lot of stupid loving people are gonna have to learn what "exponential growth" means the hard way, huh

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

MoaM posted:

the further away i am from a hospital, the safer i shall be!

:thunk:

if you think about it a lot of sick people are turning up at these hospitals

something about hospitals, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol yeah, suburbs are completely independent from cities and are not affected by them in any way