Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SimonCat posted:

I don't know you, but how are you, personally going to be materially affected by Trump's reelection?

*wheezes, chokes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You're not going to get a whole lot of mileage out of the "you're too privileged for Trump to affect you" argument while pandemic supplies are literally being seized from states

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Their reason is that they would have done everything in their power to prevent Hillary from executing a successful response

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Same for Colorado. This thing's not over by a longshot, and we'll keep getting more outbreaks until testing and targeted isolation become practical, but it is manageable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bloops posted:

It’s going to be the time after the peak to ensure there are no flare ups that’ll really loving bother people.

M_Gargantua posted:

The cities starting to level out are going to be all the reason the idiot states need to relax restrictions again. This will of course, affect the cities the worse

Yep. I’m very worried about the chuds going “See? It wasn’t so bad” and going back to their old behaviors immediately.

However, I can still focus on doing the right thing for my family. No movies, concerts, large gatherings, etc. for us until there’s a vaccine. Period.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

this is not just a chud thing. most people need to work to eat, and everyone has trouble understanding abstract dangers.

I'm talking more about going back to old behaviors of not social distancing, not wearing masks, not washing hands, etc. People have to go back to work but it doesn't have to look like it did 6 months ago.

Yeah it's hard to deal with abstract dangers, but the Chuds are the only ones I've seen calling this whole thing a hoax and insisting on shaking hands, calling people to gather in crowds to support businesses, and flaunting guidelines.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 7, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Any chance they'll reinstate Capt Crozier?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

And admit getting something wrong?

Well now they get to blame it on the recently-departed Secretary Dumbfuck.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Did people think Bernie was still going to get the nomination? He lost a month ago.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Impressed they didn’t try to renege on the toxx this time lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

R0 refers to how many people an infected person subsequently infects. Models were built on an r0 of 2.5 or so, that is that someone infects on average 2 and a half people. Turns out that's less than half the actual observed r0, so this thing is actually infecting a lot more people than we expected. That means that for herd immunity, vaccination, etc. our models way undershot and it's going to be worse/take longer than previously expected.

Note this is extremely situationally dependent, and what the paper describes is most relevant for describing the early outbreak in China and not necessarily the behavior in other areas. For example, the authors state: "Among many factors, the lack of awareness of this new pathogen and the Lunar New Year travel and gathering in early and mid-January 2020 might or might not play a role in the high R0." If you looked at the number based solely on that woman in South Korea that infected multiple churches, the R0 would be 1,000.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There haven’t really been stories about reinfections anywhere apart from one or two possibilities that seemed to indicate testing issues more than anything else.

Reading the article, it says that it was young people who experienced mild symptoms that had the low antibody counts, while older folks had the expected amounts. If that means a vaccine would be most effective in the older population that seems ok.

Edit: and then you have comments like this:

https://twitter.com/balajis/status/1247780776277467136?s=20

loving Twitter, man. Please don’t let it scare you.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 9, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

That’s good news, deaths lag behind hospitalizations, so hopefully that trend with fall as well.

Cuomo has seemed to be super measured in his reaction too, which is quite the contrast from the conman in chief.

Yeah it takes 1+ weeks to die from this thing so they'll still get a huge spike from the large number of hospitalizations they had that long ago.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

you know I'm pretty sure they're just doing this so they can get people back to work asap, not because they actually care about the safety of americans

Doing what? Cumo and de Blasio are both saying this means New Yorkers can't relax and need to double down on the isolation measures.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think the goal is to thread the needle by telling people that what they're doing to help is meaningful and working while keeping them from thinking they can start to relax. Cuomo can attempt that for his state, but he's not going to get out there and say "But buckle up, Florida!"

Well, now that I think of it I think he actually has said that multiple times.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If you didn't think you had enough of an excuse to separate yourself from the chuds in your life you've definitely got a good one now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stravag posted:

Dont they not report a death as a covid death unless the person was tested for covid prior to the death? Its not like they have a surplus of tests so theyre using them only on some patients right?

CDC guidance specifically states to report deaths with a COVID-19 statement if the disease is considered the primary cause of death or a contributor, with or without a test.

Local compliance/enforcement is one thing but I’m not sure where the idea is coming from that there are stringent requirements for reporting a COVID-19 death.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/coronavirus/Alert-1-Guidance-for-Certifying-COVID-19-Deaths.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/coronavirus/Alert-2-New-ICD-code-introduced-for-COVID-19-deaths.pdf

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 10, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

r/WSB is back to providing top-tier content.

2: A valley techbro with $15,000/mo in workplace disability benefits turns $400,000 into a 1.3 million debt
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/flhb0d/i_failed_my_portfolio_margin_call_final_damage/

quote:

I talked with the bankruptcy lawyer that set me up with the asset protection plan and he already dropped me as a client.

lmao more of this please

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1248966531679047680

Okay this one seems probably not good for real this time. Another article on the same thing indicates that coronavirus travels on shoes very easily and the pharmacy of the hospital which had no patients in it tested 100% for coronavirus on the floor.

Don’t lick your shoes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

lmao 2020 continuing to 2020 it up, NASCAR superstar Kyle Larson will almost certainly lose everything after dropping the N-bomb on a twitch stream

https://twitter.com/VeryFakePhil/st...ingawful.com%2F

When you switch to video gaming you’re gonna have heated gaming moments

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bloops posted:

I don’t understand how people are attributing “empty hospitals” as a sign COVID is not a threat versus seeing decreasing rates of infection/deaths as a sign that preventative measures are working. Baffling.

There's a class of diseased brains that always interprets an effective response to a problem to mean that the problem never existed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That Works posted:

The Punisher one is frustrating because he kills shitloads of corrupt cops as well.

It's called a cry for help

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does AAFES have lobbyists?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve used PatchWarehouse.com and they were quality, but who knows which Chinese factory they’ll dump the order on. Probably better to home brew them so you don’t have to put in a minimum order of 100.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Forgive me for disagreeing with a Twitter man but a lit review that only makes the observation that smokers appear underrepresented in the number of hospitalized patients does not strike me as “bizarrely strong evidence” of the benefits of smoking, which we already know to cause a host of cardiovascular issues. Being dead at home also keeps you out of the hospital.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 15, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

What can Trump actually do to "restart the economy" what ever the gently caress that means if no one actually pays attention to the dude? Cool, movie theaters/sports/what ever opens up but what does that matter if no one with discretionary spending actually goes out for fear of the corona? I mean sure you'll end up with weirdos who hang on trumps words going out and being dumb, but they're already doing it as far as I can tell.

Trump could easily cause a situation where chud businessowners call their employees back to work in direct opposition to the orders of the state governor. Right now the chuds are grumbling but still abiding state leadership.

What I don't get about the "re-open the economy!" chuds is how they expect to force people to patronize businesses that are just going to make them sick. It's not my loving duty to catch the 'rona at a movie theater.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Midjack posted:

Did or did not we just have Florida spring break a few weeks ago? There are plenty of people who will run right out to stores, arenas, and theaters as soon as they’re open regardless of how terrible an idea it is.

Poorly adapted to current conditions, or less politely too dumb to live.

I don't think it's plenty enough to keep those businesses running like they used to for more than a few weeks, and certainly not once those people start getting sick and are forced to stay home anyway. I can think of a number of people who would take the chance but I suspect a lot more would not.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That is nuts. That's some world-reshaping poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lesson learned: if you’re going to dump a bank account with a -$8,000 balance, make sure you update your direct deposits

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 16, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

That's on USAA then for taking poor lending risks

The stimulus money is to support Americans during a crisis so they can still feed and shelter their families, it's not supposed to be a backdoor bailout for unsecured debt on bank balance sheets.

USAA doesn't get to go through this guy's mail taking birthday money from grandma to satisfy overdrafts, why should they be allowed to intercept stimulus payments.

If the account was negative it was literally an automated process so they didn’t need to go out of their way to intercept anything.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The death rate for kids is basically (maybe even actually) nil so when they say 2-3% they’re talking about the overall death rate for the population who would presumably become infected once kids become carriers and spread the virus to the vulnerable.

Still ghoulish but not anything different from what those freaks have been calling for since lockdowns started.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

There is no justification for a doctor to say that opening schools and allowing for a 2-3% fatality in the middle of a pandemic is ok

No poo poo, just wanted to clarify that the number isn’t referring to kids

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hekk posted:

I imagine Navy Fed was licking their chops at the prospect of everyone jumping ship from USAA>

Still thinking about doing it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Speaking of USAA, I have my Roth with them and they are selling that portion of their business to Charles Schwab. Not sure if I should stick with that since I only used USAA financial since I had insurance with them since 2006.

Vanguard has lower expense ratios iirc. I use them for my Roth.

You can even track it from your USAA dashboard.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 16, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/bgittleson/status/1251172521724055552?s=19

With a captain that's arguably telling crew to stop bailing out the water because it's too much work or we're going down anyways. We're really, really hosed because the president watches too much Fox News.

Trump ineptly pulling whatever this stupid poo poo is isn't going to be what "really, really fucks" us

Trump has never "swooped in to be the hero" at any point in his presidency

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Woofer posted:

To his base he has, which is the point. It’s not being suggested that he’s actually being a hero.

Fortunately Trump scoring points with the base that is already slavishly devoted to him has amounted to gently caress all in terms of legislative impact in Virginia, even with my idiot cousins-in-law threatening to murder state employees on Facebook.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

To his base, he absolutely has. And that's all he cares about.

I know. I know the 17th occurrence of Trump calling for violence against Americans is bad. I know it's bad every time. I know his base eats it up. I know people will die because we have national leadership focused more on this than helping the nation through a crisis.

I just can't get along with panicking and exclaiming that "we're hosed" every time Trump shits out more garbage on day 997,478 of this nightmare administration because I know it's largely ineffectual bloviating. I'm trying my best to distinguish that from "normalizing" the behavior, honest. We'll get through this.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 17, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

If the chuddy fucks all over decide not to stay the gently caress home because going out owns the libs, the game's over and we're in for a second wave.

I wonder how this is actually going to play out. I confront this behavior every day with coworkers and friends on Facebook pulling the "muh constitutional rights" and "it's just a 2% fatality rate!" bullshit while arguing that everyone has a duty to shovel money into their local Dave & Buster's. An extremist right wing group is planning a protest in my city with the direct backing of the administration, but it really doesn't have a lot of widespread support among the local population.

I don't think it's Trump's base that will somehow force everyone out again, I think it'll be congressional (in)action on further stimulus packages that will change public opinion and force people to take that risk because they will be well and truly unable to care for themselves and their families. If the stories are accurate, the notion that the I in the DJIA is acting extremely cautious about reopening the economy might keep that from happening, though congress will still waste time with the usual game of brinksmanship.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Downtown Denver residents have been shrieking out of their windows every evening "in support" and making life hell for the medical personnel on night shifts lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/jblachowski/status/1251567215293464581?s=20