Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

maffew buildings posted:

Seriously, what in the gently caress? Aren't (functional) paternal instincts supposed to prevent this kind of decision making?

:corsair: Decades of nanny laws have reduced the real risk to the point that those instincts no longer seem relevant and are ignored because nothing bad usually happens. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I think childhood education is pretty essential. Level of scholastic achievement is a pretty major dividing line between the two parties that tracks well across most other demographics, last I checked.

You mean childhood indoctrination.

No I'm not serious, but they are.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm sorry, but that is loving funny.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Internet Wizard posted:

Okay so let me see if I'm following this

Mass ordered a shipment of PPE, which was then confiscated by an undisclosed federal agency when it reached customs

So then they hatched a deal with Robert Kraft to use a Patriots plane to fly to China and pick up another shipment of PPE and bring it directly back without customs getting their hands on this one, effectively smuggling it into the country

Meanwhile the Trumps are saying "no it's OURS, NO SHARING"

Except they're letting companies sell PPE from the federal stockpile direct to hospitals, etc

And they're being allowed to use FEMA assets to do the logistics work for free

Did I miss a step

Do we have a source for this besides that one tweet?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

joat mon posted:

Besides the dozen or so sources linked in the tweet thread?

I have no idea how twitter organizes replies, but I don't see anything supporting those claims except the Trumps claiming the fed's stash isn't to help states.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

joat mon posted:

The link has 9 tweets by the same person, just scroll down. The last four are her sources.

Those aren't the replies I saw, and I scrolled probably 25 deep before giving up. Thanks for the links.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Eh, those are such different things that I'm not even sure what point they're trying to make. Two days after a collision they're still trying to get the ship in to port and figure out what the hell happened.

If one of the COs had emailed the SECDEF and a newspaper saying "hey I'm gonna go ram a cargo ship" I guarantee they would have been axed a lot sooner.

Two days is how long it would take the route the loving paperwork.

The point is that they didn't even bother to give a second thought to removing a guy who shined the spotlight on their bullshit for all to see.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Historically there have been quite a few diseases that, if you can treat the symptoms enough to keep the patient alive, they'll recover.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Slim Pickens posted:

The DoD is keeping infected totals in the military a secret now. A couple weeks ago ft Lewis told us they had 11 confirmed cases but stopped giving updates, probably as a result of the DoD order. You won't hear about cases now unless it's incredibly low, like ft Campbell only having one case.

As a result, he was probably canned for "posing a national security risk" and knew he was gonna get fired over it, which I'm glad he did for the good of his ship.

That's not how this works. Nothing in his letter is classified. The closest it comes is that he should've clicked the "encrypt" or "FOUO" button in Outlook. But that's hardly deserving of being removed from commanding a capital ship.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Conduct unbecoming of an officer IE he gave a poo poo about his men

It really does seem to come down to shining a spotlight on Big Navy's bullshit and them not liking being seen for what they are.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You're meant to do it quietly after the fact, not two days after.

Once upon a time, Donald Trump wished he could have a penny for every person he fired. Now he's a millionaire.

Edit:

Tom Dempsey died of covid. For the non-NFL followers, he was a kicker born with no toes on what became his kicking foot, and in 1970 kicked a goddamned 63-yard field goal. That record wasn't broken until 2013 (by one yard, and in Denver).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 6, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

It's not facebook, it's the hypervirulent strain of just world theory that's been circulating in the evangelical community for half a century cutting the gordian knot of theodicy by declaring that bad things don't happen to good people so if bad things happen to you then you are ipso facto a bad person

Fortunately they're still going to church and Liberty U. This problem will sort itself out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Disregard both courts, postpone whatever or run an election so blatantly farcical that the courts order a do over

I mean, they're openly doing the second option already.

Old Boot posted:

This would be why stacking the courts was a huge deal for me in the primary. It's not just reproductive rights and the myriad other poo poo the courts control, its poo poo like this that I've been watching take shape in my own backyard for the past decade.

The courts matter. This is why.

Past that, I'm legitimately at a loss for words. This situation is so profoundly hosed.

Nah, it's fine. Just write in Mickey Mouse so we can ensure Trump gets another two seats on the court.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

PookBear posted:

he didn't ever call him out on basic policy positions

he apologized to biden over an op ed pointing out the connection between his donors and the policies he pushed

There's no revolution this year, and Bernie isn't Sam Adams.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I forget who it was that originally said this, but whoever once said "Republicans spend eight years talking about how the federal government is evil and the next eight years proving it" sure was loving right.
I really like that quote.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Did data entry (scans of addresses the machines couldn't read) for USPS in the early 00s. I was one of those part-timers who worked roughly full time hours with no benefits or credits towards federal time. It paid well for a college student working nights and let me quit my second job, but hot drat even back then they were to-the-second sticklers. Employees would randomly receive a batch of X fake envelope images and the machine would track your accuracy. If you dipped below a set % you got called over to the boss' desk. Just a desk, in the middle of a warehouse-sized room full of cubicles. Such a pleasant work environment.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He didn't drop it in a rage, he was trying to get another player's attention in chat.

Not that either of these is loving excusable.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

EBB posted:

Discord was thinking of a commemorative patch for the year and this got cooked up. We haven't looked into cost yet but is there interest in a run?

Yep. I can find out where we get patches made at work. There are a couple of "official" custom ones designed every year, so I'm sure there's a go-to source.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Buttcoin purse posted:

If Trump ever leaves office, and then gets indicted, he's going to sign a plea agreement that's meant to say "he and his associates are immune from further prosecution for these crimes", but they're going to leave out the word "these" and they're all just going to be able to do anything they want for the rest of their lives.

Saw that Hank Steinbrenner died, and stumbled onto a NYT article from 1990 that uses Trump as a foil. ''He (Robert Nederlander) knows how to run a business. You hire good people. He knows the smart from the phonies. He's wealthy beyond imagination, like a brilliant player. And not the Trump kind of artificial wealth."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

Wasn't getting a check with Trump's name on it a guarantee to have it bounce?

Fun fact: his signature will be on the memo line along with the real memo content (Stimulus Check or whatever they're calling it).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah I'm also not sure what to do with that. I know basically dick about investments and how to sift through the marketing poo poo. I've also got two or three 401ks I should probably roll into my current employer's.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

So America is going around in circles, cavitation and shaking?

Don't forget taking on water.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fallom posted:

Trump ineptly pulling whatever this stupid poo poo is isn't going to be what "really, really fucks" us

Trump has never "swooped in to be the hero" at any point in his presidency

To his base, he absolutely has. And that's all he cares about.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's way cooler than the idiots gathering in crowds on the bridge in front of some London hospital to Clap for Carers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Grandma Betty seems to be the one that wants to sacrifice herself. Younger people are the ones taking quarantine seriously.

There's a non-zero part of me that just wants to say "gently caress it, open everything up and do it soon so we get a couple more rounds before the election."

:sigh: I don't like that part very much.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

facialimpediment posted:

By the way, he's going with the "lol i triggered u lib cuck press" explanation.

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/1253727801871663104

How is that any better?

Cugel the Clever posted:

The guy stared at the sun. I see zero reason to give him the benefit of the don't about his disinfectant comment being anything but 100% earnest.

Yeah but he doesn't have covid, does he? Someone point this out on Fox, I want him to tweet for people to stare at the loving sun as a cure.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

EBB posted:

Can you imagine how screwed the tailoring shop is gonna be there? It's a decent one but imagine the last-minute alteration poo poo.

You think it's even open?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Receipt policy is often local dumbassery not DTS.

I forgot the biggest actual DTS frustration: Bookings on/around fiscal years. Fuuuuuck figure it out bean counters.

Air Wing Fallon starts mid to late September, every year, and is a tremendous pain in the rear end for dozens, if not hundreds of people. Will it ever change? No, because Top Gun doesn't want to shift a week.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fallon has sucked for 150 years.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ardlen posted:

Poland and the Czech Republic are already in NATO.

So is Turkey.

That Works posted:

It's Bossier, they fly over like that every day lol

Precision nav like flying directly over multiple specific buildings in an urban environment is also useful training for bombers.

This salute is literally simulating a bombing run on every hospital in the area. :lol:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ventura doesn't have a history of sexual harrassment/abuse/rape allegations, right?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Jesse Ventura would beat Donald Trump in a head to head election

Let's just skip to a cage match.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's him alright!

Well son of a bitch...THIS is what got me. :lol:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

When there is less food available, prices will go up.

People on the ragged edge of being able to afford food prices now will go hungry.

Edit: Not making the case that meat is critical infrastructure.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Schrodinger's Antiviral

Edit:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

WELP, I CANNOT COMMENT ON ANY OF THIS :ohno:

:lol:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Just who are they protecting them from?

I predict the answer is antifa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

kraken! posted:

yo Ace, as we close out this month's thread I just want to say thanks for all your level-headed effortposts and making things seem a tiny bit less grim and pointless

Same.