Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I’m back on page 55, so I don’t know sort of crazy has come up yet, but do you think (in future installments) Cloud is going to mention Xenogears again or that they’re gonna say that Jenova is a Fayth or a part of Sin that hitched a ride with FFX-2 Shinra and got really interested in the Cetra when they landed?

Takoluka fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bleck posted:

kingdom hearts is pretty simple if you know how to read

people keep saying "you have to play all the sidequels" or whatever even though you just... don't

i love the idea that you can just load up kingdom hearts 3 without any exposure to re-coded or dream drop distance and it just makes sense

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dell_Zincht posted:

On one hand, I get your point, but on the other, people who have played FFVII OG and are aware of the EU stuff to any extent shouldn't have been surprised by some of that stuff making it into the remake. I only read The Kids Are Alright last year when it was finally translated into English and absolutely loved it that Kyrie and Leslie made it into the remake.

I might be in the minority but I really want to see a lot of the EU stuff shown in future installments of the remake. As long as the main story stays the same (and why wouldn't it?) then Square Enix can give me as much extra poo poo as they want.

In a cutscene during my playthrough, Cloud knew Kyrie by name before I had ever interacted with her or anyone else who knew her, which led me to believe I'd missed something. Also, seeing Leslie by name while having no real introduction to him had me wondering that was about. I didn't even know The Kids Are Alright was a thing or that it's available in stores as we speak, so I do wish they'd given us just a little bit of an intro for them instead of just kinda showing up and being fanservice for people who are heavy into the EU. It's by no means a deal-breaker for me, though; heck, now I've got some more reading material for my favorite game in the franchise!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

anakha posted:

My speculation is that Chapter 14 Aerith is from AC, and while she's been feeding memories to FF7R Aerith, they're still separate people.

Aerith is actually getting her info from Aeris.

Also, I was reading up on some Square titles, and I did not know that Xenogears was originally pitched as the script for Final Fantasy 7 but Square thought it was way too dark for an FF title. They let it be something else, after which it was then pitched as a sequel to Chrono Trigger. Just imagine if FF7 had been anything like XG or if FF7R pulls some of its time influences from either XG or CT.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

BaDandy posted:

Cloud even references the Xenogears theme when you find him in Mideel.

That would have been cool to be at those meetings, I think this was also when they came up with the plot bits of Parasite Eve.

He absolutely needs to reference Xenogears in FF7R and make it a low-key confirmation of a XG remake that is allowed to tie into Xenoblade.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kingdom Hearts is confusing yet lovable nonsense, but if anyone says they're worried about FF7R because of KH and Nomura's name, it is safe to assume that they cannot and have not formed an opinion on the game that is with listening to. Like, these people beat the game and presumably viewed the credits which showed who wrote the thing.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

FF8 literally has "Time Kompression" as a key plot point.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Gologle posted:

I was never bothered by Barret being intimidated by President Shinra holding a gun because, and I know this is a dumb video game reason, the gun was gold. I played Goldeneye when I was a kid, I know what a gold gun means.

This is my favorite post in the thread, because it all makes sense now.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Logical1234 posted:

Ad now I just realized Xehanort would despise Hojo. Which is ironic to say the least.

Xehanort would disagree with the use of human experimentation instead of conceptual darkness but would absolutely hear Hojo out the moment he mentions searching for immortality via vessel transfer. That is right up Hojo's alley, and he'd have a lot to say.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Is Kyrie like Yuffie in her own story? I'm gonna have to buy this book, aren't I

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

AlternateNu posted:

I'm not surprised they did this (because Square), but it kind of blows that there's one weapon (Aerith's) that you have to use Steal on a boss to get.

In the original FF7, you stole Aerith's Striking Staff from the Eligor in the Train Graveyard, which at the time was a rare enemy, not a boss. It's the best weapon you can get for Aerith before Junon. When I encountered the Eligor in 7R, the first thing I did was Steal from it and laughed when I saw that he still had it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Gologle posted:

You must be out of your mind if you think I'm watching 3 hours of a Youtuber giving his opinion on the game, when I can just look back through this thread to discover that WOW, game is GOOD!!!!

3 hours of Tim Rogers is not enough Tim Rogers imho

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Caidin posted:

Hey question about the soundtrack here, does anyone know the name of that track that plays in the train yard between the Ghoul and Eligor fights. The tense one with a few notes of the Turks theme in it? I can't find for some reason.

On the soundtrack, the tracks between "Ghoul" and "Eligor" are:

- Alone
- Black Wind
- Waiting to Be Found

The most tense of those is Black Wind, so maybe that's the one you're looking for?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Clarste posted:

Admittedly this just makes it even funnier that such items and spells will instantly kill the undead.

They're just allergic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TheKingofSprings posted:

That makes perfect sense really, a lot of those parts deviate hard and not always in the best ways.

It's a sequel, so deviation is to be expected!