Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wasn't gonna get ff7r but now I am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The idea that the timeghosts are strawman fans is both a joke by people mocking diehard fans as well as projection from fans who strongly dislike the changes FF7R made.

They are not literally this, if we mean to be literal.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beefstew posted:

So in the meantime, I'll say something uncontroversial: Remake Tifa is the most beautiful character I've ever seen in a video game.

What an odd way to spell Jessie

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Veib posted:

The implication that you're not a Real Fan if you don't hate the ending loving sucks

Yeah that attitude is toxic af

And the timeghosts were basically what tipped me over from being on the fence to grabbing the game day one. I don't have a pressing need to see "OG FF7 but prettier," it would've been nice but not anything rocking my world.

But the possibility that the story could change from this point on? That's genuinely intriguing and exciting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Holy poo poo my dude. Thats intense.

Yeah goddamn

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I know it's shorthand but lol that the Whispers were affecting what Stamp looked like

The most egregious change of them all

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I want Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge to officially join the party in part 2. Also to be alive in a couple of cases.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll be perfectly honest I do kinda think the timeghosts are kind of lol and hokey is just about the right word I'd use for them (lmao at them swarming Aerith for no discernible reason other than "she's not standing in the spot she needs to be in order to meet Cloud"), but I'm down with the shakeup and the changes were what got me excited about the remake to begin with.

Wonder if a lot of the divisiveness would've been defused if, instead of making a metafictional justification for things being different, things just... unfolded differently. And if you only started getting a "fighting fate" angle after the Avalanche crew survives the plate drop and Cloud starts having flashforwards to how it was supposed to go and starts putting two and two together. And then Aerith realizes it too and starts to have a rush of conflicting emotions, but mostly excitement, while the rest of the party is just glad their friends are okay.

Meanwhile the player would presumably be having the same reaction as Aerith at that exact moment.

The reveal that Sephiroth is actively loving with fate would presumably come after and serve to explain why things start to take a swerve later as the timeline continues to diverge. Just spitballing about what could've been.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

mine's shadowbringers which came out last summer so

Same, pound for pound Shadowbringers is the best-written Final Fantasy. It is, however, also comparatively short, but it manages to pack a lot of emotional punch for something that at the time looked like it was going to be a weird digression from FF14's main plot arc.

It's also in my top 3 for best-written games of 2019, about tied with Judgment. Though that was also the year of Disco Elysium and that's so obviously No.1 that it's almost not worth pointing it out. DE blows everything else out of the park at least as far as writing is concerned.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Emet-Selch is also the best villain in any final fantasy and you can take that statement to the bank, weird time-criminal Sephiroth

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Also a richly beloved theme in Japanese restaurants. No I'm not joking that's literally hot pot. A bowl of heated broth is brought to the table and you add in raw ingredients at your leisure. It's delicious.

Also Korean bbqs

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

stev posted:

I don't think a Final Fantasy product has had this positive a response in the last 20 years.

Yeah it's wild how much people are down with FF7R, even with the changes to the story and the hokey-rear end time ghosts. It only looks overwhelmingly negative if you seek out the controversy and hotbox the opinions you find (possibly because you agree with them and find reading and watching those takes personally validating which, tbf, is a pretty normal thing to do) and weren't there for the 13 trilogy, or 12, or 14 1.0.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I also beat it last night. Awesome game but, what was it about the ending that had some people upset? The Zack stuff?

[ gestures vaguely, mumbling something about Kingdom Hearts ]

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Or an axe

Or a shield that's also an axe

Or a cigarette lighter

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Though my personal favorite is when it's a stick tbh

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah Sephiroth is easily the second-best villain in the Final Fantasy franchise and that's no small feat. Kefka is an okay third.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Clarste posted:

Who's the first?

Emet-Selch, and it's a shame he's tucked away in the third expac of an mmo.

He even managed to beat Sephiroth in a Japanese FF villain popularity poll, and that just doesn't happen.

The strength of his story is ultimately the strength of Shadowbringers' story and it got its writer, Natsuko Ishikawa, a standing ovation at PAX.

https://twitter.com/michaelphigham/status/1168299954445537281?lang=en

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 28, 2020

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

I want to pop that pimple on his forehead.

But it's strange, Sephiroth himself is actually kind of bland. It's his introduction, his backstory, and other peripheral elements that made him memorable.

Well there's also the fact that Seph's the guy behind the most famous spoiler in videogames. Nobody's going to be able to beat that kind of cultural cachet, Sephiroth is basically immortalized in memes and stereotypical online usernames.

But for a brief, shining moment, a great writer got to flex and she gave us a smarmy smug middle-aged ratfucker as the villain of a single mmo expac storyline and he managed to knock Sephiroth off his throne for a short period of time. Mostly by combining charm and an easy, if slimy, charisma, with more pathos than you can shake a Meteor at.

Harrow posted:

Before Shadowbringers, I thought the Ascians were the most boring enemies in FFXIV and I was sort of dreading them being a major focus of the expansion. Emet-Selch changed all of that. He's an insanely good villain.

Yeah he retroactively made the worst villain faction (Organization XIII knockoffs with even less personality) into one of the most tragic and compelling. It's wild.

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 28, 2020

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Steins;Gate is John Titor's cultural legacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sometimes I like to imagine what the game would feel like if the time ghosts were depicted as literally anything else besides dementors.

Like moogles. Time moogles.