Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
how do beat bahamut 2. please hlep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

beat it first try with this, thanks so much

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

now that nomura's going totally off in his own direction there's a serious chance that he'll disappear up his own rear end like what happened with kingdom hearts

friendly reminder that Nomura is the director of the game but he is not the writer

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

morallyobjected posted:

I know this was from a couple pages back, but why do people actively seek out reasons to poo poo on Nomura?

it's what the Cool Kids do

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Flopsy posted:

Cloud's arms are literally nightmarish in motion. Too much dehydrated defined veiny muscle on very thin arms. Also the model had very sunken eyes. It's like somebody said earlier: he really does look like a dude who just got dragged out of a test tube and just woke up from a mako poisoning coma.

Other than the hair, I actually think the old model looked better, for this very reason.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Zaa Boogie posted:

I feel like the worst part of any fight is the segment where Leviathan is just flying around.

Why is it that with any other high flying thing I can have Tifa jump up and punch it's poo poo in but here that's just too much to ask for.

I continuously felt like there was something I was missing in this part but I never figured it out so I just ran around needling it as Barret for five to ten minutes

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

guts and bolts posted:

But to pretend that, like, oh man Tetsuya Nomura is just this really cool dude and there's no reason to be suspicious that he's diving way into excess on a videogame project that he runs, it's all Square-Enix's fault and the suits and poo poo -- that's pretty disingenuous.

I'm not sure what part of that was unclear from what I wrote.

every individual thing you're complaining about is the result of the work if hundreds if not thousands of people and the idea that this one single person is responsible for how offensively bad you think all of these video games are (in reality they range from okay to pretty good) is a very Online opinion bereft of value among adults

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

allow me to be more direct; nobody is interested in or impressed with how much you personally dislike this guy

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

FFXII never clicked for me because every other Final Fantasy game starts in media res with a story that immediately hooks me and gives me a bunch of likable characters in the first ten minutes or so, then FFXII comes in and has me do Vaan's chores for like an hour and a half

I gave up around the part where you get to the Viera village, desperately hoping for something resembling an interesting plot to show up, and it just... doesn't

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Asema posted:

What's the best system in a FF game? Materia? Draw? FF9's Item Ability whatever they called it?

materia but only in the remake

Pollyanna posted:

Jessie has to survive because she's one of the best characters in the game and I will be sad forever if she doesn't return.

:yeah:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Rhonne posted:

I'm curious if he'll even still have the giant moogle with him. It's never shown up in any of the spinoffs/expanded universe stuff and he didn't have it in his brief cameo in this game either.

it's in the beginning of advent children

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

sharrrk posted:

it actually wasn't originally, they edited it back in in later releases

the corrected editions, clearly

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

to be fair the original also has Sephiroth appearing in Midgar repeatedly and it also never explains who he is, and people expecting otherwise in the remake was kind of unreasonable

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

hmm I guess it's time for me to replay!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Beefstew posted:

Lol at anyone who thinks Nomura has a secret galaxy brain plan to tie this clusterfuck together.

friendly reminder that Nomura didn't write this game

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Sapozhnik posted:

“I won’t completely come out and say that it is the same world,” said Kitase. “However, Shinra in FFX-2 was created by [Kazushige] Nojima, the scenario writer, and when he thought him up, he thought it might be good if people would imagine that after a few years after the story of Final Fantasy X-2, that person Shinra will grow up and start the Shinra company. So that is something that he did hint in there. That being said, I’m not gonna say that it’s the same.”

on this note - in Remake, did anyone else think that Shinra's depiction of the Ancient civilization had vaguely Spiran architecture and clothing

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Beefstew posted:

I liked to think that at one point because it was edgy

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

HD DAD posted:

Honestly yeah that’s a good point - I think with XII and XIV setting a very popular precedent, I think this is the most likely scenario.

or they could not do this because it sucks

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

stev posted:

What sucks about it? It gives the game room to breathe with open explorable areas

if they're going to continue with 7R's tight focused areas, I'm cool with that

if they're going to give us XV style huge open map with things and you get to cruise around and listen to your characters banter with each other, that might be good

if they're going to put me in a small room with the exit on one end and a chest with a potion on the other and surrounded that small room with a big skybox so I can pretend I'm outside and "exploring" then no I'd rather not that please thanks

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

cock hero flux posted:

honestly it's kind of disconcerting to remember that it's never actually established where the gently caress Jenova came from.

SR388

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

HD DAD posted:

I’d like to see Ferrari become the next-in-line for FF main character designs. His style is very flamboyant and colorful, but doesn’t seem to get as repetitive as Nomura.

hopefully the poor guy doesn't inherit Gamer Shibboleth: Nomura Hateboner

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

so I guess Sephiroth didn't come back to change things but is maybe instead changing things in the future from the past?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

gredgie posted:

The question would be, why would he not trip out exactly like he did in Nibelheim if he suddenly becomes aware of how he was created? Since, he flipped out just thinking he was part-Cetra, if he can see how things unfold he's probably aware that actually, he was injected with a random alien. But apparently he's okay with it?

we all knew sephiroth, from the lifestream, basically overrides jenova with his own consciousness or will or whatever: maybe, now, the opposite is true, and the jenova is just consciously using the image of sephiroth to accomplish its goals

I mean that wouldn't really be out of line with what both the original and the remake say about how jenova operates

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Gologle posted:

Like, I was joking before about Genesis time traveling, but dude, what if

somebody, quick, find out if Genesis refers to himself with ore or watashi

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

to be fair you could read that minigame being bullshit as intentional foreshadowing

the marching one, I mean, not the dolphin

Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 2, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is and was from the beginning. They only broke it up because of the time involved making it.

or maybe they broke it up because they specifically intended to tell a larger story spread over multiple installments, something that in media that is often referred to as a "series"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Still got to have somewhere to escalate to for later entries in the series though.

the beats of the original game are still escalations from this game's ending and they could also do literally anything new and different

maybe try being excited that fun new things are happening

Beefstew posted:

Almost everywhere else I've looked has been overwhelmingly negative.

how vociferously people complain is often not related to how many people are complaining

it's like how people constantly poo poo-talk kingdom hearts and make a big nerd shibboleth about how terrible it is even though it's perfectly good series that's extremely popular

case in point: the "third" one that loud stupid nerds have been screeching about for a year is also the best selling of the series and every single person I know that played it that doesn't have a loving neogaf account or whatever really liked it

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

feels a little heavy handed.

the original final fantasy 7 is a game where a corporation hurts the environment so bad that climate change manifests as several giant monsters that intend on wiping out humanity, it is not exactly mired in subtlety

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I'd like to hear some suggestions about would have been a better ending from people who didn't like it - do you think it should have just ended after the bike minigame? If we assume they had to have a climactic boss after that, what do you think would have been more satisfying?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Invalid Validation posted:

Did Nomura say why the game was so long? You could probably chunk off 10 to 15 hours easily. I guess he wanted to make sure people felt like it was a full game.

it turns out that people like to play video games

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

RatHat posted:

Isn't this basically how people feel about Lost now?

some people would say this is the case with Game of Thrones but the reality is that it wasn't good from like the second half onwards

Beefstew posted:

Alternatively, move Jenova Dreamweaver to the end of the highway, maybe make it a bit more elaborate. Or give us a 1v1 sword duel between Cloud and Clone Seph that doesn't lose itself in its scope.

These are probably the most reasonable suggestions, the former is what I would have said.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

cock hero flux posted:

"but it made a corporation a lot of money" isn't a valid response to criticism directed at a work of fiction

describing a small but vocal group of critics existing as a "massive controversy" is also of questionable validity

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Beefstew posted:

Conversely I personally know folks who have passed on this game entirely because of what they've heard about the ending.

I cannot stress enough that it would be a bad idea to make games for people like this

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Beefstew posted:

All I'm saying is that this is happening, and the ending isn't getting showered with sunshine and rainbows everywhere, contrary to what the atmosphere in here might be.

and all we're saying is that the people who it's happening to basically don't matter and nobody cares

"I skipped the game because my favorite youtuber had a meltdown over it" might just be the world's least interesting opinion

Mulva posted:

It's either good or it's not, internal consistency of threat has never been a part of the package.

yeah I feel like the people who are now complaining about "power levels" are also the people who twenty years ago were asking questions like "why didn't they just use a phoenix down on aeris? this is dumb, there's no consistency"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

cock hero flux posted:

basically the problem with the ending of FF7R for me is that they've put a big dumb JRPG ending about 15% of the way into the plot of a JRPG, so it feels like it's out of nowhere

A New Hope still has a climax even though it's part one of three of the story

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Beefstew posted:

It's hard to nail down specifically why this may be, but my best guesses are a). because it becomes visually reminiscent of Advent Children

I've said this before but Advent Children is a lot better than its internet reputation implies

Beefstew posted:

I find it a lot easier to forget how dumb it is when Cloud slices through a helicopter because I've been conditioned to hate Shinra and I want to see him slice the helicopter in half. I think that because we have the characters fighting against a concept that, textually, we might have difficulty empathizing with, that it becomes harder to ignore the absurd stuff. I think it makes some people emotionally distant to the events on screen and prevents them from enjoying otherwise over-the-top dumb action.

maybe this is why I liked the ending so much, because I literally fight a giant composed of the concept of entitled tasteless nerds

cock hero flux posted:

also there really is no way that george lucas actually wrote or had even really thought of much beyond a New Hope at the time, that's all very transparently bullshit he came up with later

there is a significant amount of evidence that heavily confirms this is not the case but that's a whole other nerd shibboleth to tackle which has whole threads dedicated to it on this very forum

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

there are enough hints and clues and references that it's fair to assume that AC, BC and CC all remain canon

so in answer to your question, yeah probably

the interesting thing about them expanding Avalanche to different cells is that, as a result of that benefactor, you're likely going to come into conflict with another Avalanche cell or cells in subsequent entries

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Nail Rat posted:

One thing is for sure. Anybody who hasn't played the original will be saying "who the gently caress is Zack and why do I give a poo poo"

obviously it's impossible that part 2 will contain any exposition that explains who zack is, as we've all accepted the reality that part 2 is going to be forty straight hours of the fort condor minigame presented with no dialogue or context

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

personally I hope that they put in so much filler that the second game ends with you arriving at Junon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Veib posted:

Second game is just the Kalm flashback for 40 hours

oh my god the second game can just be a remaKE OF CRISIS CORE