Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ImpAtom posted:

There is some argument about ambiguity "did Holy then kill all the humans afterwards??" but the fact that both Holy and Meteor were pushed away and the last shot is Aerith smiling seems to indicate "probably not." It's ambiguous intentionally but there is plenty of evidence for humanity surviving too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Potential missed opportunity: any time you go through a chapter on Chapter Select and there's Stamp graffiti, it uses the Zack!Stamp instead of the OG.

Also I'm really not understanding why it is people keep calling Aerith's death in the original meaningless, when it's explicitly not. Bugenhagen straight out says that Holy can only be summoned by a soul that has returned to planet, and she basically saves the day at the end. Hell, IIRC characters are all like "We need to let Aeris's death not be vain!" or some such when they go kill to Sephiroth.

Killing her again would suck though

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Onmi posted:

The thing is, Cloud doesn't steal Zack's identity. he steals the idea of being in his place at Nibelheim and being a first-class soldier, but he doesn't claim to come from Gongaga, or act in a happy go lucky manner with a really breezy personality.

This is the main reason we absolutely need the Nibelheim Flashback; to see/hear HD Cloud's model/VA play at being Zack

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjW6PkotdjU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
MP Absorb only works with magic attack materia, so at best you're stemming the tide.

Better way to save MP is use Prayer for healing, slot Elemental in your weapons to hit weaknesses, and only rely on level 1 spells when you need them to stagger.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Sapozhnik posted:

I don't know how on earth I'm going to get through the Sector 7 Pillar and both trips through the loving sewers on Hard because those were rage-inducing enough as it is on Normal.

Magnify-Fire

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Have they explained why Red XIII refers to Jenova as the "Calamity From the Skies" even though at this point everyone's still supposed to think she's an Ancient?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Jetrauben posted:

They've mostly been using "Mako" as a generic term for lifestream stuff manifest on the surface, haven't they?

:smuggo: Um, actually, it's only called magma lifestream when it's still underground <pushes up nerd glasses>

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Caidin posted:

Swords are very good.

They are even better when they are also another thing like a gun or a key.

Or maybe it's a key all the time, and when you stick it in someone, it unlocks their death!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

BaDandy posted:

Aerith putting poo poo in your way to keep you from leaving her house was a good twist with how it was done in the original because you can't run indoors now AND it implies she knew ahead of time that Cloud was going to leave.

Especially since that means she wasn't trying to actually STOP him, she was just screwing with him for shits and giggles.

... Which yeah, totally checks out

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

AlternateNu posted:

I just replayed that section going through hard mode today and...is it designed that you gently caress up at least once? With the dodgy rear end controls (at least when it comes to fine movement), I was wondering why it was basically impossible to not kick something trying to walk out.

Alt-Theory: Aerith isn't just aware of the future, she's aware she's in a game, and just wanted to gently caress with speed runners.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

precision posted:

Are you kidding me

I didn't notice that in the last chapter, I thought they had disabled it on purpose. The last time I remember getting that option was in chapter 17

The whole "boss rush" first half is all technically considered one battle, even though it's broken up by a few cut-scenes/walking (though notice those take place in "battle mode"). This is why you don't get to change materia between these "battles" (and also if you die in one part you have to start all the way over from the beginning).

There is the option to change Materia between this rush and the final, final boss though.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Super No Vacancy posted:

I've decided this is like the good version of the last jedi. instead of just thumbing its nose at the established universe and genre conventions it handled them all lovingly, but then the creator actually succeeded in breaking out from under the pressures of the source material/destiny and charted a new path, whereas last jedi rebelled against the lore in a spiteful but ultimately meaningless way as the story beats landed them right where the star wars trilogy convention dictated

Like, I don't want this thread to be derailed by the umpteenth The Last Jedi litigation but drat if it isn't a terrible take (about the movie anyway, you're spot on with FFVIIR though)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much any 'praise' of RotS is "it gave me lots of fanservice!!!" and that is all fans wanted. It's like Advent Children but less coherent.

I wish it was less coherent than AC, then it might have been interesting. RotS couldn't wait to explain to you basically everything you wanted to know and many, many things we didn't.

TLJ's central message is: "Star Wars Matters." Like, that's literally the whole point of it: the legend and legacy are important because they inspire Star Wars fans to do good; to dream beyond our limits. There's no bigger love letter to fans in the series. It just subverts the most stale plot tropes because, you know, that's what you hired Rian Johnson for. That's what he do. It's also why Eps 7 and especially 9 have significantly less meaning beyond fan-service; JJ's gonna JJ.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Super No Vacancy posted:

i have caught up on the thread and determined that them jamming ff versus 13 in at the end of kingdom hearts, which i have never played, is maybe the most interesting thing in it

Nomura's gonna Nomura

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Debate: Which Final Fantasy is basically Star Wars the most?

FFXII tries its level best but I think it's hard to top FFII on this one.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

DELETE CASCADE posted:

anakin is an anagram of nanaki

Red XIII had no father

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Schwartzcough posted:

The fact that she's at his house at all sort of means she's down with his verbal abuse.

Can we not

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Schwartzcough posted:

And they took out the stairs scene where Tifa apparently has to stop and pee in the stairwell, so what's the point!

Stairs is still best.

Hey, uh... I don't think that doujinshi was canon, my dude

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Slotting in Elemental to your armor helps a lot in the final series of battles.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

rko posted:

But man, the VAs just really kill it in all of these scenes. Cloud telling Aerith “I’m coming for you” is pitch perfect, it’s got all of Cloud’s cockiness and cheesy teenageness and I love it. And her whole “If that’s how you feel” thing, ugh.

Cloud's "Don't I get a say?" at the end gets me every time.