Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

stev posted:

Eh as someone who loved it and is excited to see more I don't think it's an invalid point. People had certain expectations and Square didn't do anything to temper them (since they wanted to avoid spoilers).

Some people will have spent money on the game having no interest in anything other than a straight retelling of the story. If I were them I'd probably be upset too.

On one hand, I get your point, but on the other, people who have played FFVII OG and are aware of the EU stuff to any extent shouldn't have been surprised by some of that stuff making it into the remake. I only read The Kids Are Alright last year when it was finally translated into English and absolutely loved it that Kyrie and Leslie made it into the remake.

I might be in the minority but I really want to see a lot of the EU stuff shown in future installments of the remake. As long as the main story stays the same (and why wouldn't it?) then Square Enix can give me as much extra poo poo as they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Rhonne posted:

If they find a way to add in Dirge of Cerberus material and make it actually good, then that would be an award worthy achievement.

I thought they were doing that when you go into the underground research lab underneath Sector 7 but instead of calling it Deepground they were just like "oh it's a secret Shinra testing place"

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh was Kyrie a pre-existing character from EU stuff? I assumed she was yuffie in disguise

Either way it didn't really stand out to me as too jarring to have her there even though I had no idea who she was. I feel like she had enough in-game characterization to stand alone as a minor side character, same for Leslie, more or less (although the game asked me to care about him slightly more than I could find the motivation to do so)

Her and Leslie are characters in one novel that a lot of people don't know about which was released a few years back but only translated to English and released officially in 2019. It's set after the events of FFVII but before Advent Children and it's pretty good.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

itskage posted:

I didn't know either were from the EU until this thread and thought they were fine. They're not really and different than the other added characters like Johnny.

Leslie's reaction is still one of the best moments for when Cloud shows up in drag.

Johnny was very much in the original game, though he had very little impact on the story.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 4, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Himuro posted:

Nitpicks aside, this was an incredible game....

This is a really, really good post and I feel like i'm in the same boat for a lot of it. After playing the remake I now WANT to play RPGs again. I WANT to get sucked into a story and to get slightly obsessed about it.

The only game other than FFVII to do that to me back when I was a teenager was Chrono Trigger and to an extent, FFVIII.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

gredgie posted:

I think there's waaay too much content for them to milk to see Vincent in the next game.

As redundant as it is to guess, if I were a betting man:
Part 2: Kalm to Junon = Red XIII playable
Part 3: Costa to Cosmo = Cait Sith playable
Part 4: Nibelheim to Temple of Ancients (after cute date with Barrett) = Cid Playable
Part 5: Wutai etc. = Yuffie playable
Part X: Return to Shinra Mansion to learn about Zack = Vincent playable

Unless you folks feel like they won't actually stagger the character "unlocks" that much?

There won't be more than 3 future installments. They'll probably try to wrap it up in another 2, most likely.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Himuro posted:

I've ordered FFXIV and I'm really looking forward to it.

I hated FFXIII so much (it's the only FF from 1-12 that I don't like) that basically didn't buy a single FF from until XV - nearly 8 years after XIII came out originally. FFVII Remake touched a part of me that I long lost and I can't believe it was still there all this time.

I also hated Persona 5 when I first played it, as well as Dragon Quest XI. I'm going to give those another shot as well with an open-mind.

Heh, I just bought FFXII. Before FFVII: Remake the last FF game I played other than replaying FFVII & FFVIII was X-2.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BaDandy posted:

I could see four total, just so we can catch up to the City of the Ancients before going onto the other two discs.

It's worth pointing out that Nomura has said this first installment being restricted to Midgar isn't a sign that they'll be padding out future releases.

I expect Part 2 to finish at Temple of The Ancients, probably ending as Aerith leaves to go to the Forgotten City as that's a nice cliffhanger of sorts.

Part 3 will begin with Aerith's death early on and be the rest of the game.

From replaying FFVII so many times, apart from the Kalm Flashback (which they can skip entirely and just give us a cutscene of the whole thing) the first disc is actually pretty brief.

Disc 3 of the original game is essentially just the final dungeon.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Himuro posted:

I feel really good being able to enjoy stuff again. Perfect truly is the enemy of good. Imagine not being able to enjoy your old hobby because of depression. Being cynical sucks.

Hopefully you enjoy XII. Did you get the Zodiac version for recent systems?

No, i've bought a second hand copy for my trusty PS2, I want to play this game old school :)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can't picture them keeping Yuffie as a missable character you just pick up randomly. I assume they will use her introduction to create deeper hooks into the expanded Wutai storyline

I still believe the next part will open with Yuffie stealing all your Materia

(you don't get it back when she joins your party because reasons)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Harrow posted:

There were a lot more problems with the EU than that. Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus have some absolutely bugfuck stories, and not really in a good way. And then there's the one anime that retconned Cloud flinging Sephiroth off a bridge in Nibelheim as Sephiroth just jumping off on his own.

To be fair, they did change that silly retcon back in Crisis Core.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Himuro posted:

Trigger is on steam and it's been updated to be good.

Aye, the Android version is pretty decent too.

I play it on my PS1 still.

(Yes, I have a working PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 in my house. I try to play games on the console they were originally intended!)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Harrow posted:

Ah, I got the order of release mixed up on those. Good.

They even apologised to the fans for doing it in the first place, which was pretty cool, considering it was a bonus Anime bundled with the deluxe version of Advent Children (at least, that's how I own it.)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BaDandy posted:

I have such a vivid memory of seeing that specific scene at an anime con when I first went to college. It was playing on a CRT in a dealer's room and I stopped to look, and I had a vague understanding that this was from FFVII because Sephiroth was there, and he was the Final Fantasy Anime Bad Man With a Sword. The only Final Fantasy related thing I had gotten to play up til that point was Tactics Advance, and then Kingdom Hearts. And then I saw Advent Children at anime club, because all my friends were really excited about it and they did not know that I haven't played the original.

It is such a delight to get to play both the original and the remake and talk about it now that I'm able too and have context to everything.

I still don't get the hate for Advent Children. Personally I think it's a solid movie with great action sequences and the characterization for the most part makes perfect sense. I'm glad that Square Enix have said it's the final sequence in the Compilation, although we'll see about that after all parts of the remake are done, I guess.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Harrow posted:

I wonder if they could go full FFX with it and let you swap out party members during combat, maybe make it something that costs an ATB bar to do. Then they could do away with the "we should split up but we're all going the same way and also we can call each other on the PHS to switch around" artifice and just have everyone traveling together.

Barret's line in the original always gets me.

"'Sides, we can't have 5 people strolling down the fields. It's too dangerous."

DUDE WTF ONE OF YOU HAS A MASSIVE FUCKOFF SWORD AND YOU YOURSELF HAVE A loving MACHINE GUN FOR AN ARM, YOU'LL BE FINE

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Harrow posted:

It definitely looks siller in Crisis Core when you can see it all with cinematic camera angles and stuff.

Maybe if they show Sephiroth trying to push back or something they can sell it better in the Remake? Or just make it happen a lot faster, like Cloud just flings him before he has a chance to let go.

I always took Sephiroth's inability to just let go of his sword as him being completely dumbfounded by the fact that the lowly Shinra grunt he just stabbed could be strong enough to lift him into the air.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:hmmyes:

I would be 100% down for party members not currently in combat just bantering with you. I don't even care if it doesn't make sense.

Have them in the background cheering you on. That won't make sense either but what the hell!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Haha really, is there a clip of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CoBmu2-yPQ

"yOu lOoK fiNe"

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

RatHat posted:

I mean that's how the game treats them. Tifa's dresses are just different but Madam M says she'll give you a dress equal to your accomplishments in Chapter 8.

Which makes perfect sense given it's tied to how much you pay Madam M for a "hand massage"

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The hand massage doesn't affect Aerith's dress, it does factor into which dress Cloud gets though

Oh yeah, I got mixed up. I did all the sidequests in Chapter 8 and paid for the most expensive massage anyway lol

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

LiefKatano posted:

Can confirm. I paid 3000 gil for the best hand massage (even though I felt like it was a really bad choice because money was relatively tight; mostly because I leaned on items because I suck at action RPGs), and I still got Sam's set of quests.

Got the coin flip wrong (I figured it was rigged but for some reason I thought it was double tails :downs:) and interacted with Johnny, though, which was my ultimate downfall. Curse Johnny for being so cool...!

I did all the sidequests in Ch8, Chose "heads" on the coin toss, paid 3000 gil to Madam M and then was given her sidequests. After doing those I got the best dress for Cloud and the best dress for Aerith.

How do you ensure you do Sam's sidequests? Just pay for the cheapest massage?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Cavelcade posted:

So here's a question for the thread I still don't have an answer for myself after playing through a second time.

Why is President ShinRa hanging off a ledge at the end? Who knocked him out the window but didn't kill him and why?

It's easily missable but if you look to the side of his desk there's a big hole in the window, chances are when Sephiroth initially attacked Shinra HQ he was blown through the window and over the ledge.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, I don't think we've seen the last of Johnny, to be honest.

Surprise! In the remake Johnny joins your party after Aerith dies and turns out to be an absolutely terrible party member

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Bleck posted:

where's that post where johnny injects himself with jenova cells and transforms into a horror and fights you

Johnova

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Super Brova

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

ChocoBRO

(eww)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

Johnny ABSOLUTE

Edit, alternatively the beginning of One Winged Angel, but its "BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO"

:discourse:

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

loving finally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvW4wB74jtM

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

RatHat posted:

The anime one about the Nibelheim incident, that retconned Cloud throwing Sephiroth into the Mako.

Seeing as it's never had an English dub, that would be pretty cool.

Although i'd still be watching it in Japanese with English subs like I do anyway!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Flopsy posted:

Yeah I remember that. God that's lame. I'm not usually one to nitpick about changes but that just takes a huge chunk of the the motivation out of Cloud and Sephiroth's history. Cloud not actually overpowering him just shits up why Sephiroth would have a vendetta against him.

Luckily Square apologized for that and reversed it in Crisis Core.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

romanowski posted:

I started replaying OG ff7 and was surprised to find out that Johnny wasn't an original character for the remake. I don't think I've noticed him before lol

The translation in OG FFVII is so bad regarding Johnny that it misleads the player into thinking he was childhood friends with Cloud and Tifa when in fact he's just a loner from Sector 7 who developed a crush on Tifa while drinking in Seventh Heaven and then getting jealous of Cloud when he arrives, leaving Midgar to start a new life.

He was also originally supposed to get jealous of Cloud staying at Aerith's house and was going to call him out on it regarding Cloud's relationship with Tifa.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Roche is driving the truck that slams into Palmer

e - gently caress you Veib!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

And two years later everyone is using flip phones.

Well duh, i'm guessing Gaia's supply of phones were made in Midgar and Midgar got destroyed by meteor

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

stev posted:

I genuinely broke a phone because of this.

When I worked in a phone shop the most returned phone was the Motorola Razr V3 because people kept leaving them open and then sitting on them(?)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BaDandy posted:

I only have one brain cell, so I can only think SEPHIROTH DANCE MINI GAME AT THE GOLDEN SAUCER.

I was literally just reminded that Sephiroth hung out at the Golden Saucer and had a normal-rear end interaction with Dio. He just loving decided to go to Disney World to ask around about the Black Materia. I love this game.

Sephiroth didn't go to the Gold Saucer, that was a Sephiroth Clone. Reminder that in North Corel he's described by one of the residents as a "young man around your (Cloud's) age" and he had a tattoo on the back of his hand.

EDIT - Also something rather chilling, the two children in one of the houses in Nibelheim in Cloud's flashback, the boy repeats (or rather, tries to) everything his sister says. When you visit Nibelheim, upstairs in one of the houses there are two miniature Sephiroth Clones...

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 10, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just watched a stream of 7OG that got to Nibelheim, and maybe I missed it but if you don't have Tifa in your party you can really get through that whole place without her saying anything about it? Does Tifa say anything if she is in there?

In the OG character interaction is basically zero until it's "their" story section. Since that was the best part of the remake I'm looking forward to seeing how they're gonna handle that with everyone

http://letao.is-a-geek.net/ff7script/part11.html#sx4

She doesn't really say anything particularly interesting, she's just confused like Cloud.

A fun thing you can do though is not recruit Yuffie until Tifa becomes party leader. If you do that Yuffie calls her "Boobs" lol

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

I was thinking about Jessie probably still being alive and my third eye was opened to a possibility for the next game

Gold Saucer date with Jessie

Sorry but Jessie is very much dead :(

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Do this with Zack in the next part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR6jGJ1lq2U

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Beefstew posted:

Man, listening to the OG soundtrack (partially because YouTube's been taking down uploads of the remake soundtrack), and I'm really sad that we didn't have more Anxious Hearts representation in the remake. That's straight-up the best song.

Maybe Kraftwerk got a bit bitchy with SE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH0Js8qdnyA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

Wedge potentially might have survived depending on if his grapple gun broke when he was falling off the plate tower or if it just lost its grip while he was hurtling to the ground, I can't remember how that went.

Isn't it implied that Wedge got blown out of a window and fell to his death?

I think only Biggs survived, and he's probably going to have amnesia so he won't remember anything going forward.