Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've got cantaloupe vines climbing up my soccer net style trellis. it'd be nice if i could grow them vertically so i don't have to worry about bugs, but i'm not sure the trellis can handle the weight. any tips or ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol that owns

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dustcat posted:

tons of cucumber flowers

i had this with my cantaloupe a few weeks ago and just stuck my pinky in and around a few dozen flowers. now i'm swimming in fruit. i did a sex

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah if it was that long ago it could be cannibalizing the nitrogen in its lower leaves to put out new green ones. throw a dead fish in the pot or get some miracle gro or w/e

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i want to steal some corn from a big farm a few miles from me. how can i tell if it's sweet, meal, or animal feed corn?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

thanks. and yeah the plan is to pretty much have it go right from the stalk to the grill

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

can i plant so many beans around my other stuff that they get too much nitrogen and slow down fruiting to focus on leaves?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

probably not. living legumes don't return a ton of nitrogen to the soil, and afaik it's up for debate if much at all makes it to neighbors. the big benefit with companion planting beans is that they basically don't take any nitrogen away from nearby plants.

my cucumbers are basically surrounded on all sides by insane numbers of beans and they're flowerin' and fruitin' like crazy

nice, thanks. i'm also using a 2-1-1, so maybe i'll toss some phosphorus in there and see what happens

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

apartments were made for hydroponics! just set it up in your bedroom and wear a really really dark facemask to sleep

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

landlords aren't useless, they can be composted

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what do i do with ~10 serranos a day

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sylink posted:

A bunch of sauce, paste, whole tomatoes.

So I have all these bush beans sitting now, they are done flowering. But still plenty of beans that I dont even want at this point. The golden wax are getting big, but the others not so much.

At what point do I cut them down? I want to save some seed for next year but some pods aren't drying/looking big enough yet. I can't find any good info on how long that takes to happen, like 90 days total or what?
I left mine alive and unharvested since may just for the nitrogen

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's the canary!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

go get sprayed by a skunk just so you can bathe in it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it hasn't rained in a month and my hose isn't very long so i'm hauling 30 gallons a day to a few pepper plants

i need an afternoon sun screen or something

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

goon de florette

holy poo poo dude lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

anyone ever grow saffron bulbs?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Star Me Kitten posted:

I haven't. But I do know they are relatively easy to grow; however, if you intend to harvest it for the spice, it takes 150 blossoms to make a single gram of saffron and tens of thousands to make an ounce.

some quick math says I only need about a hundred individual flowers to eat biryani for a year

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

roma tomato best tomato

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if you're planting for next spring, mulch is cheap and now's a good time to start it decomposing

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is petpoop bad??

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

it's generally a bad idea to use dog or cat poop directly as fertilizer, and you shouldn't really use cat poop at all

if you're going to use dog poop then compost it, but make sure you're doing hot composting and the pile actually gets hot otherwise it's definitely going to be in the realm of not entirely safe (although you probably won't get sick)

using an area where a dog pooped once upon a time is fine, though, as long as it's not an active doggy toilet

what if i pee on my roses every once in awhile when i'm drunk

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

thinking about planting poppies. our first weak frost is usually around thanksgiving. can i get a bloom out now before december?

if so, would i put them in the freezer for a day or two, then wet in the fridge, then sown outside? i tried planting poppies years and years ago with no takers

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

do ashes blown in from somewhere else have the salts that pit ashes do, or is it all K?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oops i bought a lil rose bush and fed it miracle gro all purpose like my peppers got. it totally filled out a 10'x8' trellis but hasn't put out a flower since april. i keep feeding too much nitrogen to things that don't want it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

how can you gently caress up composting

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I just have a spot on the ground for banana peels and coffee grounds. jesus does the rest

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

is it even possible to smother thistle?

depends how much vinaigrette you use

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

invasive harvestable plants own. outcompete the trash, my pretties

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if i was in a wetter area it'd be a giant mistake but my giant wall of morning glories two feet thick to block out the sun ruled last year. if i quit watering for 48 hours they die, but if i were in the southeast they'd take over everything

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

please do not eat morning glory seeds

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wolfs posted:

what’s a cool alternative ground cover to grass? zone 8b

I got some construction guys to fill in the depression behind my fence & I don’t want it to wash away. they put a green net and some straw over the dirt but that’s not very aesthetic

if it gets sunlight, asian jasmine should do well. it fills in around six inches high so dunno if you wanted it walkable or not

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Organic Lube User posted:

Yo check out Dollar Tree, they have seed packs for $.25 each. I just got $200+ worth of seeds for under $15. Sure I'll have to mimic Lysenkoism when I plant them, but it's still an insane deal.

this just reminded me i was taught lamarckism at my christian elementary

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm in austin where the real estate market is nuts and my landlord is making hints about selling and i'm so mad. i was going to make habanero jelly this year. the cold snap over valentine's killed a 5 year old serrano but my roses survived.

i'm just bringing my friends to the local plant store and helping them out. one guy has a ditch in the back yard that gets lots of standing water and mosquitoes so i want to put in a couple bald cypress

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's a really good idea

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

$20/seed is insanely expensive wtf

i grew two plants from bagseed then mated them and got dozens and dozens of seeds for free. they've been in a jar with a dessicant just waiting for legalization lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

feminized/sinsemilla is bullshit, i love the old fashioned way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah I use airpots for that reason and plants thrive in them much more than traditional pots