Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka of lathspell

yall read this guyotat guy pretty wild

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

The Final Girl Support Group is a solid thriller, a love letter to slasher movies. Ripping prose. Loved it. Picked up Utopia Avenue by the guy who wrote Cloud Atlas and it's a 70s rock band version of Faust, at least from what I've read so far. Very very British with the slang and all, so reader beware

ya cloud atlas is 100 one of my favourite books and i liked the bone clocks too but i would be wary of mitchell tackling a theme like that. i could tell from segments of bc that he kind of wants to be up on a podium just dropping takes on art

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka of lathspell

It's still interesting, Mitchell nails a lot of the foibles of musicians and hits the vibe of 60s London. Jasper de Zoet is a character with ties to other Mitchell books (The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet)

ya i made a recursive comment and dropped my take on the takes that someone might have

im sure its good ya theres deffo stuff hes good at

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

i read bps book report & enjoyed it

chap into tomb of 500 thousand soldiers by guyotat and yea id cw it for a lot of stuff but the language is crazy good in the translation i have sometimes. burroughsian obvsly idk. opening of 2nd chap is crazy good i think im gonna actually finish this 1

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

bump

i finished breth/th treez uv lunaria by bill bissett, a bunch of poems and some drawings. i was told reaching out to tell him that i appreciated his work if i did so would be a good move so i am going to

sort of an extremified almost instant messagery approach to poetry but he was doing it in 1957

next up is a curated collection of irish writings

baka of lathspell fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 21, 2022

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

I’m very happy right now because I know what scene this is and it is one of my favorite scenes. This owns!

lol i thought this was about ultraman

baka of lathspell

Saoshyant posted:

I finished Monstrous Regiment last week, one of the few Terry Pratchett Discworld novels I hadn't read yet. I wasn't ready for it. I expected a humorous take on an army with trolls and vampires in its numbers. And I got that too, but I also got a rather dark but full of hope novel that will stay with me for a long while.

If you haven't read this one (or anything else by Pratchett) please PLEASE do so. It's short enough that you will get through it at most in a week.

i thought this one was okay but it sort of kept being the same twist over and over im gonna peruse my collection and see which ones i liked best

oh yea wyrd sisters or any of the granny weatherwax ones

feet of clay maybe & moving pictures had that good popcorn burn

& in retrospect night watch being super grim was powerful cuz i wasnt ready for it. that guy really wanted to get at something on his way out

baka of lathspell

also if u want a short one by him read the amazo maurice

that book of irish stuff turned out to be mostly nonfic, a history of the tradition since the nobles booked for cromwell

so its slow going i dont have a head for nonfic

i reread some ray chandler and im rereading as i lay dying again

baka of lathspell

3D Megadoodoo posted:

sorry to hear that, :rip:

getting my next of kin to prop an open book on top of my face before sealing the coffin

baka of lathspell

ulvir posted:

satantango is good

im gonna read chasing homer some time this summer. it has a silly gimmick where you scan QR codes to get a chapter soundtrack composed specifically for the novel

chasing homer? why wheres he going

ahaha

i liked dead astronauts by vandermeer was gonna finish it finally good band too. but i put it somewhere. best chap was murder control

i tried to do ny trilogy by auster again but i wasnt enjoying it as much as i thought i would. hes just really dead technically precise when hes explaining things

buried giant is still p good

baka of lathspell

reading books with their own soundtracks is usually an experience i read the salvation (i forget if name of book or series) opener by petey hamilton and it sucked but the ost made it an epic adventure between good and evil

baka of lathspell

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm finally doing the Black Company reread I'd been meaning to do for like a year. I'm four and a half books in now (Shadow Games, since I read The Silver Spike in chronological rather than publication order) and enjoying the poo poo out of them.

Although Shadow Games has me really wanting to smack Croaker and the Lady (mostly Croaker) and yell "just kiss already! you idiots!".

drat i read the first one and never finished it but it was p freakin cool i forget why i stopped

baka of lathspell

The Hello Machine posted:

I read a book on the history of the printing press and now I kinda wanna copy a book by hand as a fun project

wtf you seem like an amazing poster

im rereading the wild boys, made some more progress into the irish nonfic thing about their lit tradition. i finished dead astronauts.

baka of lathspell

i read ice by anna k again, still workin on other stuff

baka of lathspell

bumpin this thread even tho all I’ve done is read sound and fury again

it’s hard for me to talk about sh stories without mentioning the twist or whatever but he’s a long journey of discovery and you’re gonna wanna read the return of sherlock holmes as well probably

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

good readin byob

after the return of sh you’re gonna want to read the casebook, then you’re gonna want to read the sign of four, then you’re gonna wanna read my fanfic, then you’re gonna want to…

on and on with Conan Doyle they don’t give u the right to legally use a sword on someone for no reason

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

beer pal posted:

sound an dfury rules, i wanna pick up as i lay dying pretty soon

they’re both p good also just seeing byobs reading list here always brightens me up hence the bumps

I’m obsessed with the parts that repeat I am not/was over and over tricklin thru qs chap like water through leaves or some poo poo

best horror readin experience ive ever had is pet sematary just so someone can tick the basic box in the recs

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

bumpin to say I finished mccarthos the orchard keeper, & am working on phillip k dick vol. 1: the king of the elves

I liked the orchard keeper, pretty good, protag is a chill enough dude

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

that all good book

I’m almost finished rereading to the lighthouse and u know how mrs. Ramsay kinda blames herself for getting old. anyone else have that but it’s for other people you know getting old? like you only age and die because i am still here to watch it sort of thing

anyway

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

wow to the lighthouse was really good lol

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

i can always talk about redwall. you’re gonna need to know tho that essentially you will read the same book 20 times. or possibly u do know which is whatsup. redwall is hilarious

sneak edit ignore all that

what’s your fave one mines outcast and mossflower slightly less

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

Ayin posted:

I did this too! except I took a break after eight books and haven't gotten back to it yet 😅

Can't agree with your Dune opinions though (although I got distracted from that too :negative:)

When I was a kid my fav was Salamandastron but I dunno what the current situation is since I've been leaving the ones I know are my favs for later

I still have the poem from sala memorized lol

alas sand a mat, way down in the west

if ur reading it all again I would nerd out and go chronologically im sure some nerd wiki has that figured martin, mossflower and outcast are the first three time wise and I think they’re among the best, there’s something distinct about all of them

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

near the end it was like yo it’s [name] the [gimmick] [mammal class] and they must fight the evil [slightly more homogenous gimmick] [vermin class] named like Gabfang and it’s like what’s up there’s your plot what do u want from me I’m 80 years old

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

Ayin posted:

nahhh I did all that when I was a kid
pored over all the intro/outros for common names, comparing the maps, all that shiznit
so now I'm just doing them in whatever order I feel like

also you forgot Lord Brocktree and Legend of Luke :ssh:

technically legend of luke happens in the fuckin future or something cuz there’s a framing story

my bad on lord brock

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

magic cactus posted:

comedy option finish your re-read with the limited animated series that aired on Canadian TV in like, the 90s. I recall it being a pretty faithful adaptation of the first book.

the problem with this show was not enough blood

this stuff needed the watership down treatment

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

i resumed reading king of the elves after a hiatus. some stuff cool but early stuff kind of a blur. liked the idea of time travelling to pull a jesus which gets explored thoroughly in one of the stories

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

i started reading electric sheep and lol at the opening conversation where theyre arguing over which setting on the brain device they should be using

just do the setting that makes you want to use the device

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

rear end-penny posted:

lmao that sounds kind of good

this

finished some rereads and am reading a pale view of hills

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

beer pal posted:

im reading the box man by kobo abe. its about a box man

does he box things? is he a living box? is he the heavyweight champion

more questions than answers itt

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

Jeff Vandermeer had a new book out last year and I never knew. Rectifying that now. It's called Hummingbird/Salamander and I'm jazzed on it

o that’s gotta be a sequel to dead astronauts. that book was quality work i should scope this

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

beer pal posted:

the book is presented as the publication of a long poem called 'pale fire' whose fictional author died shortly before its completion, but the guy who's publishing it and who wrote the introduction and commentary has a peculiar obsession with the poet and has his own narrative to tell through his annotations

ah yes, like house of leaves

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

i read some of the fall of numenor. it’s pretty cool but becomes fic nonfic a third thru

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

i forgot to mention I finished pale view of hills i think very paley wow the hills

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

so I was reading sound & the fury again,, which makes me waterworks essentially every fifth page in some sections, & in this scene where Jason gets his belt out to whip someone with it I always imagined that to do that he was risking his pants falling down. I now realize that his pants probably fit perfectly and he wears a belt expressly for the purpose of whipping people with it

what a book… it’s true you pick something new up with every read

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

finished The Heirarchies by Ros Anderson, good cyberpunk-ish novel about a sex robot who learns to be a person. started Attack Surface by Cory Doctrow. It's not as good, let's just say that

lol i had a chance to hear doctorow speak but i missed it. does he suck? never read his books

since i posted i finished a reread of the gun by fuminori nakamura after finding a copy somewhere. its a powerful statement for a debut and very 'the stranger'-esque

ive started:

'searching for an elegy' - poems by ursula k leguin
reread of the unconsoled by ishiguro
reread of unfinished tales by tolkien

if i have bukowski on the line lmk what your favourite stuff you find is, esp if it concerns the eldar lol

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

today i finished the 2nd of two ursula k leguin books of poetry i borrowed, 'finding my elegy' and 'so far, so good.' been sort of obsessed with the future of my life and how ill feel in a bunch of years. so this was like a transmission from a 90 year old which i sort of read with diff eyes then i might have even a year ago.

overall a solid set of poems tho some were just meandering observations. in some places her language really flourished. i liked it more than ive liked any of her prose just because her philosophy really came thru in verse & i've also been obsessing over not obsessing. she was big on not obsessing over things

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

ill transcribe one i liked, 'for heggaia' it's called, from her final poems in the 'meditations' section

quote:

When you lived in the Valley of the Na
and were a goldsmith
you made a little disc of gold, the sun
on one side, the double spiral
on the other, for Intrumo of Sinshan.
After you left, she wore it
on a golden chain, the rayed sun shining outward
the hinge of the spiral hidden against her throat.
Pretty soon she'll follow you
through that open doorway,
and coming by your workshop
near the bank of the River Na
smile to see you working.
"So you are here," you'll say,
and she, "Go along easily,
Heggaia of my heart!
I left your sun there in the other Valley
for us to find some day."

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

Quadramind posted:

In my primary school we weren't allowed to take books home because we couldn't be trusted. Children are devious.

thats wack.

Rags to Liches posted:

I was a Wheel of Time kid, most of my sci-fi was stuff I could swipe from my school library like Dune or Asimov, stuff they’d let me keep since no one else would ever read it.

is there actually a Wheel of Time, or is it a metaphorical title, like once more the wheel of time turns dragging us endlessly into the future or something

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

im glad this thread is still busy. i got more into unfinished tales, reading about hurin? i think (or turin) and his adventures as an outlaw

im in the middle of dennis lehanes since we fell also

i spent 2 weeks in a school library and kids returned things like 70 days late all the time (no fines lol)

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Still mad at Lehane for completely spoiling the plot of one of his books in the next book, because I bought both and read them in the wrong order.

he does that poo poo all the time. it was a joy tho finally reading darkness take my hand after seeing him refer to it in like every subsequent book

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka of lathspell

reading ray bradbury's "zen in the art of writing,"

caspergers posted:

Read Gravity's Rainbow five years ago and I was way too dumb understand it. I will revisit with my new experience of five years and crush it like it was Dr Seuss

thats the spirit

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)