Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The thing about old yogg is that the power level is waaaay higher now in general. Clearing a board and summoning a few minions and drawing a card was absolutely devastating back then, you actually couldn't do it on 10 mana without yogg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Control warrior was only hard to pilot for control warrior players

As I understand it Grim Patron was infamous in part because 30% of the time you had to play it like a tempo deck where you just made patrons on 5 and nobody below high ranks really understood that (twitch wasn't as big back then) so you'd get these preposterous splits between low rank winrate and high rank winrate which made it the stuff of legends. But yeah GP had a lot of whirlwind effects and sequencing on top of that which made it extra extra hard, and frothing math was unbelievably complicated.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 7, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Vashj seems weak, maiev seems potentially good (you get the minion which is pretty sick), kael'thas seems op.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Firebert posted:

Maiev seems really good, but I can see her hero power being a liability locking down a tavern slot and unlike Yogg it is very, very slow
It's somewhat comparable to rafaam. Actually, comparing it to rafaam it's kind of insane.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Eeepies posted:

This sounds funny because you are comparing Vashj to one of the worse heroes (Galakrond) and Maiev to two of the best heroes. I'll have to give Maiev a try, but I think she's mid tier.
I'm with this guy. Minion discounts have been very very strong so far so even the weakest version of it sounds aight.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

it's kind of funny that after watching HS, Eternal, and now MTG try over and over with deckbuilding restriction cards often with disastrous results none of them were as fun or balanced within the meta as the OG Reno Jackson. Zephrys is the only competition.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It was fringe enough to do with Reno and imo Zephrys because what they do vs aggro is so important so I'm ok with those. With DQ Alex it becomes a real consideration and IMO in a perfect world she specifically would be a start of game check (having multiple mechanics is kind of confusing for players so I can see why they didn't do it).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Golden brann and a single primalfin gets way out of hand almost immediately. Definitely tests your apm pretty hard. Sounds like they nutted out and rolled multiple primalfins on top of it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Mayveena posted:

Also what does 'being greedy' mean (in the game of course). Frodan loves to say that and I don't understand exactly what he means.
It's supposed to mean playing excessively for value (so a greedy deck would have a high curve, low tempo card draw, etc). People have started recently using it to mean playing into a specific card in the hopes they aren't punished which is really weird, the situation the poster above me described is almost the opposite of greedy as it's conventionally used especially given that good players stop playing around cards when they're behind (greed, more conventionally, would be more like trying to play around everything so that all your cards get maximum value). The word's used in enough different ways now that it's not very useful.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

yook posted:

It mostly seems to be used for high risk, high reward plays done voluntarily rather than because you have to try it or you’ll lose.
You're not wrong that greedy has started being used for what you're saying. I just don't get why.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

The Tempo/Buff Priest from reddit is pretty decent. I tweaked it a bit to my liking because the original list has a few underperforming cards, and dormant/psycho-pomp anti-synergy.

It would be a lot better with the old PW:S, which I really don't get why Blizzard changed if they were also HoF'ing cleric. Priest will probably have to get a second rework to their classic cards once the Galakrond card generation rotates out next year. Right now, that covers up a lot for the lack of card draw. Whoever decided that the only card draw Priest needs is Mass Dispel, should probably be fired.
LoR has a 2 mana minion that discounts cards you steal from opponents by 1 mana and a 2 mana draw 2 cards from the enemy deck spell and it's actually pretty good. It wouldn't take much for mindgames to be a real card.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I miss Zombeasts. That was a cool card.
I was just thinking about how much I hated that card today lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The devs like it when cards generate themselves a lot of people think it is funny/epic and it gets upvoted on reddit because internet types are insane about the concept of recursion for some reason.

DQ alex was a special case because it was just too op.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

fanny packrat posted:

That's an amazing example of recent power creep. I'm sure a 3 mana 1-4 that discovers a taunt would see fringe play, but nobody would be calling for it to be unable to autodiscover. Not complaining, but the game sure has changed.
I would have said the same thing but I don't think stonehill into stonehill was actually good, the controversy of the card was iirc playing against three Tarims every game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The new powers are so cool!

I'll admit - I kind of liked the game better pre-dragons and would have preferred an attempt to have it balanced around 4/6 tribes instead of 5/6. But I haven't thought about it hard enough, my guess is minion distribution would become too volatile.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The point of RNG was never to let "bad players win". Outside of arena matchmaking is enforced with an iron fist in HS, even more so after the ranked rework. Cards have random effects a.) so that matchups are less polarized, b.) so that late game between decks isn't completely solved, c.) so that you often have some obscure out to play for when you're behind, and d.) highrolling feels good. I play Runeterra over HS these days but I tend to go straight to the RNG cards in that game (I do the same for other CCGs).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Agreed. I don't find "competition" fun, I like doing cool things. When a broken weapon is added to the pool of a battle royale it's so that players get to take turns doing the cool thing, not to "diffuse responsibility".

In 1v1 games countering your opponent's strategy is exactly as productive as furthering your own strategy, which turns a lot of people off. One of the things that made autochess so popular is that its 8 player system and random matchmaking forces each player to develop their own board instead of disrupting their opponent's strategy (outside of the final 1v1).

The "diffusion of responsibility" meme is huge on SA for some reason.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Everyone except me buys into "diffusion of responsibility" and "having something else to blame" motivating the move away from 1v1?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 9, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There's a huge difference between trying your hardest at something that's winnable 100% of the time by the best player in the world and something that's winnable 65% of the time by the best player in the world. You have to be made of ice to give it your all when 35% of the time it turns out you never had a chance.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 9, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Looks like Kragg is balanced, Eudora is high tier, and Hooktusk is tirion levels of op: https://hsreplay.net/battlegrounds/heroes/

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Imagine nerfing a card to 2 mana deal 4 damage.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Elysium posted:

Ahahaha, gently caress this dude who had a perfect game going into the final 2 with me. He had a parrot beast board with Baron, and hit me decently the first matchup.

1 Zapp and 1 round later:

Were you level 6? This is the first 40-0 I've seen if so.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Elysium posted:

Yeah I did exact lethal, didn’t quite get the screenshot timing down. I can only imagine his reaction.
He thought he was going to get a perfect game. Ha ha ha haha

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bran looks crazy. And Mukla seems really crazy. I want to believe but I'm only 40% convinced.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Mukla's not power level crazy, it's just a very unique/wacky mechanic.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If you're on the draw you could coin out another tunnel trogg too!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chin Strap posted:

A usually 6 Mana 3/3 removal is broken?
That's actually really good, and it is the floor for this card's efficiency. You can play flame imp into it or use a lifesteal minion to trigger it. Definitely a better warlock card than priest card tho.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 22, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The health on these creatures so far is so high.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

He can summon two boombots!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oh Potion of illusion only affects units on board. Best case right now is probably Kronx or Togwaggle.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

uh.... insane?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Olpainless posted:

It's... mostly cheaper Frostbolt, but that combo requirement could be a real bummer sometime. Really nice discover target though.
Combo requirements on 1 mana spells might as well not exist... when do you need to deal 3 damage to a unit turn 1 on the play?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Fun concept. Would be much stronger non-legendary because it basically wants you to build around only expensive spells then get a cheap spell into your hand via minion-based card generation.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

Warrior/Paladin legendary

Lord Barov: 3 mana 3/2
Battlecry: Equality
Deathrattle: Whirlwind
Doesn't this seem op?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What are the stats on the demons? is it 2/1 charge, 2/2 taunt, 1/2 +1/+0?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Omu + Savage Roar + Survival of the Fittest is going to be so nasty

e: lmao neutral 5 mana 3/7 whenever your opponent casts a spell summon a 2/2 taunt
Troggzor returns

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

He got paid some preposterous sum of money to stream on Facebook exclusively. No one has ever watched Facebook streaming so what he is doing these days will remain a mystery.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Just don't get 8th!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's actually shocking how many people bring bad decks to those events. I entered once and only started facing real decks at 5 wins or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It means "this effect is too obnoxious to be as generically powerful as it is". That's how card game designers decide which cards should be over and under statted.