Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

We will learn about Fragile's weird umbrella and ferrofluid shoulderpads! Kojima games are nothing if not thorough about their weird sci fi tech. See nanomachines (, son) et al for infinite examples.

Also regarding the timefall being inconsistent about what it melts through, we'll get an explanation for why that is in a few videos' time. Just know that nothing is immune to timefall, but that's not necessarily a bad thing! It just means that technology surrounding the timefall can be focused around longevity instead of immunity.

Will we get an explanation of why just having a hood up protects their faces?

That seems to have bothered me the most for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

Man, as it is, it only took a few people ringing in to talk to Sam for me to start responding with "What is it this time?" "Oh, for gently caress's sake." And I'm a passive viewer! I can't imagine how it would grind on the player. Or on Sam, my God.

Is it any wonder Sam doesn't want anything to do with these people? He's not cynical about the whole reconnection project, he just doesn't want to get a call every five minutes telling him that when you're thirsty it's your body giving you a sign that you should drink some water. Or Monster Energy.

Not having seen anything about this game before watching this LP - and god knows no one's been able to describe it - the gameplay looks pretty engaging to me to the point that I'm kind of frustrated by the sheer amount of cutscenes to wade through to get to it. It's not even that I'm not enjoying the story, just that I'd want to be getting out there and hauling goods. Being someone who likes Euro Truck Simulator, or space games about piloting a ship to haul cargo through the galaxy, doing the same idea with navigating terrain on foot appeals to me really well, especially with the extra online components. I'd love a game that's focused on that, without it being (so far) less than half of the actual time spent in the game.

Does the game open up more later? A lot of the mechanics seem to be built around having a lot of freedom over where you go and when, especially with all the online partial-delivery bits.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sam, of course, cannot experience death, but by slamming three cans of Monster in the morning he can kind of get the gist of it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

LashLightning posted:

Sometimes folks go by a middle name, and "Amelie" is short for "America" as a name, I guess? Her brother is named Sam, after all. Sam and Samantha. It's not uncommon for those named "Samantha" to also go by "Sam", so maybe she goes by "Amelie" to better differentiate between the two of them?

Makes sense - Amelie and Ameri are both reasonable romanisations of the same name.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Qwezz posted:

Are the things being built, and popular enough for thousands to use/like them, plus those dirt roads being created by people walking that way a lot permanent? and for how many actual people can they show up?

Also are there things popular enough to show up for literally everyone? And if they are permanent..how much of the game has changed since launch?

It's an interesting idea how it all works. But if it meant that if I started playing today or in a couple of months from now and there would be hundreds of shortcuts everywhere, I feel it would diminish the gameplay. Like getting a difficult mission to cross a huge mountain and deliver some drugs only to find there's several elevators taking you up and down. Plus Weedlordgoku69 over there is drilling his way through to create a tunnel. His first starting point didn't get that much likes but the second spot is hugely popular..

I think CJacobs mentioned something about being assigned to a server for these things? So you'd only be seeing effects of people who are currently/recently online, or at least were at some point when you were playing.

I doubt you see literally everything everyone ever built either - otherwise you'd see several thousand postboxes around the one he built in the episode there.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Even if no one is using it to skip things it would be nice to have the marker on the timeline to see how much of an episode is cutscenes/gameplay.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

They seem pretty blasé about discarding the things if they're hard to come by, yeah. That might mean they're being, uh, manufactured. No wonder no one wants to have babies any more.

I assume they can't be properly born because they need that umbilical connection to a basically-dead person to be able to detect the BT's. I don't know how they maintain that connection but presumably they do since their stillmother needs to not be completely dead - I would guess chiral stuff is involved but they don't seem to need to be part of the network?
And being kept artificially enwombed for a year probably isn't great for a foetus' prospects of existing outside of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sam died years ago, his body is being animated through pure Monster-induced rigor mortis.