Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't get how you can play the first LOTU and come away with the idea that the themes it bashed into your skull are accidental. It is not a subtle game. Like it shoves its themes so far into your face you'd think it was middle school English.

It's not that the themes aren't there or that they flew over anyone's head. It's that you are using them to wildly misread the intention of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

blackguy32 posted:

Except, Ellie did save Abby's life. Also considering the whole story, I don't think that is the takeaway at all.

I disagree with the lawless world stuff because people don't just resort to murdering and doing awful things just because the laws don't exist. Marlene clearly could have had Joel killed several times, but didn't.

Fair, though I think the museum scene situates and contextualizes the world of 2LOU pretty well as a lawless one divergent from the living context of our own, and what that entails for humans AS part of the animal kingdom, which I don't think entirely forecloses on an understanding of how morality between groups would play out in such a scenario. We are as distant from the complex moral interweaving of 2LOU's world as the character's themselves are from rocket ships and dinos. One of the reasons laws themselves formalized amid human civilization was to end cycles of retributive violence. Each of these realizations lends weight to the idea that people in such environments would not necessarily act as we'd expect from our domesticated vantage point.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Bust Rodd posted:

ArfJason is a terminal gimmick poster whose gimmick is not ever, even one time, being funny. Just stick them on ignore, their posts are 100% white noise trollbait.

I don't know, "Donald Pentium" always makes me laugh. I do disagree with him about this game though.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
What are the grounds on which Mel calls Abby a piece of poo poo who shouldn't come on the escape boat? This seems to play out like she has a point since Abby doesn't challenge her, but what has Abby done beyond carry out the brutal operations of the Wolves (torture, child killing) that Mel doesn't participate in herself but has gone along with for years? I don't think Abby can be exonerated for what she's done but Mel comes off like a hypocrite here, especially when this comes just after Abby has betrayed the Wolves to save the Scars girl.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think it’s part guilt at what happened in Jackson (she’s not against killing Joel in the abstract but the violent nature of it seems to have bothered her) and she’s putting that on Abby, and also she knows that she’s the second choice and that Owen would pick Abby if it came down to it (and he would have if not for Ellie)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
she sussed out that Abby and Owen had screwed each other. that plus her own guilt by association prompted her to lash out

she still could have mended that bridge later but, well, Hurricane Ellie blew in

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
This far in I'm struggling to care that Ellie killed any of these people. They all suck except the Scar kids.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The game does also heavily imply that abby wasnt a great person anyway before the game started, we're only seeing the redemption arc and not her pre that arc

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

snoremac posted:

This far in I'm struggling to care that Ellie killed any of these people. They all suck except the Scar kids.

I felt the same. I got what the narrative was trying to do but it didnt quite work for me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Letting go of the assumption that the game is just trying to "make you feel bad" about anything you do in it is step one in appreciating it.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Letting go of the assumption that the game is just trying to "make you feel bad" about anything you do in it is step one in appreciating it.

I like the game a lot, i just dont feel it quite managed to do what it wanted to do

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If there was an explicit idea that you were meant to feel bad you killed all of Abby’s friends, it didn’t really come off as well done. They were either jerks, killed offscreen, or in the case of Owen/Mel acted too dumb in the moment.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
owen was a rancid moron who did the worst possible thing at every possible juncture and had the game's worst voice actor on top of it

most of 2lou's original characters are just unremarkably "nice" and lacked chemistry compared to the first game, but i would have killed owen twice if possible

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

I don't know if it's too five for me but I love the first one. I just finished a third playthrough and it probably won't be the last because now I'm actually considering going for trophies (boy is it stingy with trophies).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bobjr posted:

If there was an explicit idea that you were meant to feel bad you killed all of Abby’s friends, it didn’t really come off as well done. They were either jerks, killed offscreen, or in the case of Owen/Mel acted too dumb in the moment.

I disagree. I never felt bad about killing any of them, mildly conflicted at times but not bad and I don't think the game set out to make me feel bad as a player. I sympathized with Ellie's plight almost wholly for her entire first section. It only changed in the second half, because I, as a player of the game was able to experience it in a way neither Ellie or Abby ever would. I don't think the game sets out to make you think Ellie is bad, or the player is bad. It sets out to make you have complicated feelings about the whole thing by showing how different Abby's perspective is.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

don't get what's so bad about owen tbh :shrug:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Owen clearly sucks, but as a person, not as a character

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

don't get what's so bad about owen tbh :shrug:

Two biggest things I have against him are his voice acting is weirdly robotic and stiff when you first meet him and are playing as Abby and also you can't be loving other people when you've already got someone pregnant and in love with you.

Aside from that, good on him for becoming disillusioned with the endless war and wanting to get the gently caress out dodge first, shame he couldn't make it. Or wasn't also pregnant so you could kill him twice depending on what your opinion on him is.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Two biggest things I have against him are his voice acting is weirdly robotic and stiff when you first meet him and are playing as Abby

i know goons are bad with emotions but it's called playing coy op

RareAcumen posted:

and also you can't be loving other people when you've already got someone pregnant and in love with you.

loving lmao

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 13, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Don't forget Owen is the main reason that Tommy and Ellie aren't also killed at the start. This obviously ends up not working in his favor in the long run, but he's consistently the only one who has a problem with what's happening.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
This was my take on it too. If the Abby crew had maybe been more compelling or likeable then yeah i'd have had conflicting feelings about dealing with them. Instead we're supposed to just kinda get over how they mashed Joel's head in for keeping Ellie alive from a murder surgeon.

Folk also rag on Joel for what he did at the end killing the leader of the fireflies and the surgeon, but seem to want to apply real current world societal norms to that situation.

The game's set in a post apocalyptic world where there's no more rule of law. A person that's out to get you can and will get you with little to no repercussions save the potential of revenge. So killing them after all the lies seems like a totally pragmatic thing for Joel to have done in that situation to try and draw a line under it all before disappearing.

That's also why i think Ellie should have killed Abby. Given Abby's track record, her "redemption" probably won't mean poo poo long term and she'll be back on the hunt for Ellie the moment something pisses her off enough (like if anything happened to Lev).

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

For all the talk about how dumb Owen is Nora was equally as dumb in her situation. I get how it would have negatively affected Ellie, but at the same time what did Nora think would happen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

i know goons are bad with emotions but it's called playing coy op

:shrug: Dude sounded weird on the walk to Jackson, like, pulling Abby's attention away from looking down the cliff still stands out as weirdly delivered.

bobjr posted:

For all the talk about how dumb Owen is Nora was equally as dumb in her situation. I get how it would have negatively affected Ellie, but at the same time what did Nora think would happen.

No one seems to understand that you can just lie to people. Just tell Ellie she's in some horribly overrun zombie area they haven't cleared out.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

No one seems to understand that you can just lie to people. Just tell Ellie she's in some horribly overrun zombie area they haven't cleared out.

Shes explicitly going to get owen and mel to answer seperately so she can corroborate their answers - the same as she mentions in the hotel d1 (and joel does in winter TLOU1)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Shes explicitly going to get owen and mel to answer seperately so she can corroborate their answers - the same as she mentions in the hotel d1 (and joel does in winter TLOU1)

She found Nora in the hospital first though. Mel and Owen were last.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
nearly everyone in 2lou is functioning off blind impulse and old grudges, too high-emotion to break away from their goals even when their pursuit of those goals is blatantly self-destructive. hence the moth motif

spec ops the line did this better because that destructive impulse was contained entirely to walker, and the increasingly surreal environment emphasized that it was one guy's personal psychodrama. 2lou is way more grounded and that witless aggression extends to like 90% of the cast so it quickly becomes tiresome instead of compelling, especially in the final stretch, where ellie vacillates between vengeance and mercy like she's on a tilt-a-whirl just because the story needs to establish one final parallel between her and abby

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kin posted:

This was my take on it too. If the Abby crew had maybe been more compelling or likeable then yeah i'd have had conflicting feelings about dealing with them. Instead we're supposed to just kinda get over how they mashed Joel's head in for keeping Ellie alive from a murder surgeon.

Folk also rag on Joel for what he did at the end killing the leader of the fireflies and the surgeon, but seem to want to apply real current world societal norms to that situation.

The game's set in a post apocalyptic world where there's no more rule of law. A person that's out to get you can and will get you with little to no repercussions save the potential of revenge. So killing them after all the lies seems like a totally pragmatic thing for Joel to have done in that situation to try and draw a line under it all before disappearing.

That's also why i think Ellie should have killed Abby. Given Abby's track record, her "redemption" probably won't mean poo poo long term and she'll be back on the hunt for Ellie the moment something pisses her off enough (like if anything happened to Lev).

I honestly don't think so. Months have passed since their encounter and there's no sign from Abby that she's stewing on things the way she was with Joel. She's already done the revenge thing, it didn't make her feel better, it strained her most important relationships, and before she had a chance to mend them the consequences took everything else from her. Even when Ellie shows up right in front of her she does everything she can to avoid a fight until Lev is explicitly threatened. Even then it doesn't read IMO as Abby swelling with bloodlust.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'll be honest, I don't think I actually understood the ending. I get why Ellie was so hellbent on the mission and easy to persuade into getting back into it because I'm a good boy who checks her journal constantly but I don't really know how to explain it or anything. Like, killing Abby would lead to Lev coming after her. And if Lev kills her then more people from Jackson would come after Lev and I imagine it'd turn into another Seraphites vs WLF endless war but I don't think that was what I was supposed to think of.

I just went with 'Oh, Joel died immediately the day after she had made some amount of peace with Joel's decision as was ready to maybe begin to work on forgiving him over the next however many years. No wonder it took three people saying stop and Dina being pregnant to dissuade her'

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Ellie isn't thinking through any of that. She just doesn't know how to deal with her grief and with that one push from Tommy she's convinced that killing Abby is the only way to bring her peace. She's not thinking about Lev, about Jackson, about any cycle of vengeance. She's not thinking about the future at all.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

christmas boots posted:

Even when Ellie shows up right in front of her she does everything she can to avoid a fight until Lev is explicitly threatened.

This is why I put redemption in quotation marks. I don't think she had really changed. She just shifted her rottweiler like devotion from one group of people to another.

If anything happened to Lev, (just like when something happened to her dad or when something happened to her friends), I'm sure she'd go on another psycho spree, irrespective of the reason something happened to Lev.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

How long have I got to go? Ellie has just left Dina at the farm and I've got control of Abby again.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

snoremac posted:

How long have I got to go? Ellie has just left Dina at the farm and I've got control of Abby again.

You’re in the endgame. Only a few hours left I’d say depending on your skill level. If you’re really good might be like an hour

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

christmas boots posted:

You’re in the endgame. Only a few hours left I’d say depending on your skill level. If you’re really good might be like an hour
Cool thanks. Was hoping to finish it after work tonight so sounds good. I was surprised it didn't end at the cinema but I like the direction it's gone in.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah you can definitely finish it in a night

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Ellie isn't thinking through any of that. She just doesn't know how to deal with her grief and with that one push from Tommy she's convinced that killing Abby is the only way to bring her peace. She's not thinking about Lev, about Jackson, about any cycle of vengeance. She's not thinking about the future at all.

Oh yeah I know she's not thinking that far ahead, I was just wondering if I was overthinking things.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

when ellie says 'just take him' at the end she sure as poo poo ain't talking about lev, and only her sudden fingerstumps served to jailbreak her mind

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

when ellie says 'just take him' at the end she sure as poo poo ain't talking about lev

Yeah, I definitely didn't think that when I beat it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I definitely didn't think that when I beat it.

it's kind of the whole point of the ending shot, and the entire reason she lets abby live, and the whole theme of the game :shrug:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Having finished, I had a good time but this won't leave a lasting impression on me like the first game. A point of the game is revenge is destructive to those around you and isn't a cure for grief, which I'd be fine with if Ellie's grief was handled in a similar way to Joel's. For Joel it hovers in the background and isn't a motivation for his journey. It colours his developing relationship with Ellie and then explodes in such a shocking way that it's more viscerally felt. It also makes you reflect on his past actions to make more plain how dubious a guy he is. TLoU2 tries to sustain the same emotion over 40 hours and it's clear with every beat where it's going and what point is being made. There's no surprises beyond minute to minute plot developments.

But I really liked the scene with the lamb that captured her trauma so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Yeah, I've seen some people think it's unrealistic that Ellie would leave to get Abby one last time based on a somewhat vague clue, but the lamb scene is really good at selling how she still isn't over things or able to put it behind her and work on moving on. It's most likely better than the planned hunting scene where she kills a boar that sounds like Joel.

It also didn't help that Tommy was the one that set her up for it.