Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Dubs backed Starmer didn't he? So it doesn't make sense that Starmer would try to block him.

The implication is that it's a stitchup decided before the NEC meeting and there's no suggestion the left could have made that wouldn't be shot down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

If a friend tells you a humourous story about child naming it is always, 100% of the time, an urban myth. There is something about child-name urban myths which makes people determined to represent them as something they personally saw absolute proof of, despite them always being absolute bollocks.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Pesky Splinter posted:

And my mate's dad is called Michael Hunt.

I also know a dad called Micheal Hunt. Terrible naming decisions are a thing, I meant the little story myths where there's a parent making a bad choice for some outrageous reason (like "after the brand of pregnancy test") and a 'sensible' third party there to make a face.

tl;dr

Failed Imagineer posted:

it's racism, op

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1257250766689107969
https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1257252284238565378

Lord Adonis continuing his undefeated normal-one streak.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

XMNN posted:

lol is this like the brexit tests again

what is the point

Keir Starmer's difficult second album.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

God, that's absolutely infuriating. David Cameron and MI6 were directly responsible for the MEN bombing. What the gently caress.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1258528709616660482

Tom Newton Dunn is familiar with the humanity of Nazis, what with having sourced that one article from them.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Marmaduke! posted:

If they did actually ban his main account they realised their "error" (accidentally holding a bluetick to account for what they say or do) and corrected it pretty sharpish.

This is Stu Campbell, games journalism's answer to all those right-wing opinion columnists who got their start in NME, not glinner who's still clinging on.

e: both these dorks haven't done anything worth paying attention to since they were 37.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

happyhippy posted:

Bet you one of the counts of resisting arrest is when he was just tazed and had no control over his body.

I reckon the drunk charge will be based on him having no control over his body, tbh.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

jesus christ

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

^ hot bulb in the bottom slowly warms everything.

The Beeb has moved that "breaking" to the home page, where it doesn't even get the subtitle.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

OwlFancier posted:

I thought they just had a big heating element like a toaster.

Huh, I'd always assumed it was a bulb, but looking online it's some sort of element in a band around the middle, yeah.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Aggressive demands that people stop speaking languages other than English are very much in the VE day spirit, if a little late in the day.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Qanon is just serialised tv storytelling for boomer memes. You get hooked on individual ways in which the youth of today have ruined the world you grew up in, but now there's a background plot to keep you invested.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Family member who works in construction was recalled from furlough at the beginning of last week and told to plod into central London. He did, was immediately exposed to someone who tested positive the next day, and is now halfway through a 14-day isolation. So exciting news that more of this is being encouraged!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

ThomasPaine posted:

oh hey i'm a dr now apparently lol, they let anyone into academia these days i tells ya

seriously though, viva passed with minor corrections - feeling pretty drat great!

Congrats! Welcome to the club. You are now allowed to share "the look" with other phds when you meet in social situations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Communist Thoughts posted:

So the lockdown is just sort of ending anyway without us ever doing a proper one?

Indeed!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Meltdown May delivers, as all the shittiest UK hacks close ranks against Owen Jones on the hotly contested turf of "clean your own house, there's a pandemic on"

https://twitter.com/sarahditum/status/1260515411814162433

It's KILLING them.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Guavanaut posted:

Which of course makes it right to kill others instead.

Wow, can't believe you'd deny someone their right to feel useful and normal by cleaning Janice Turner's house (because her husband won't).

https://twitter.com/VictoriaPeckham/status/1260560464439902209

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

stev posted:

The teens and the other adult should probably pitch in with the cleaning.

https://twitter.com/VictoriaPeckham/status/1260539114518130689

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Gravastars posted:

I don't think it enters these people's minds that cleaners also have a home they return to after work and clean themselves.

Don't be silly, their cleaner does that.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Hard to see how the logic that got BBC3 canned in favour of keeping BBC4 would have done a complete 180.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As always in this country it's a mixture of once-sane safety regs and TRADITION. There's a (perfectly reasonable) regulation that there must be no way for non-potable water to make it back into the mains. The problem is that almost all of the taps in your house (particularly any hot water taps) are non-potable, and the only way to stop that non-potable water making it back into the mains was to have a separate tap. Proper backpressure devices didn't exist until the 1950s, and weren't considered reliable enough for use in domestic settings until the 70s, so everyone's just used to having separate taps and get freaked out by mixers.

(of course the devices everyone has to use to get around this then promptly break the separation - my sister used to have a problem of her kitchen tap putting out lukewarm water every time her neighbour had a shower because they had one of those rubber mixer things, and the hot water pressure just blew hot water straight down into the mains)

The kitchen tap in our flat pretty consistently has to run for 1-2 minutes while the output gets warmer and warmer before you get any cold, I'd assumed it was a terrible piping job that was doing laps around the boiler, but could it be this sort of thing?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jippa posted:

Can someone zoom in on this banner. I really want to see what it says (is that ike)?

https://twitter.com/francisqcoyle/status/1261665355363225600

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

forkboy84 posted:

Discovered some exciting news today. A free cassette I got nearly a decade ago with a magazine & never even opened because nothing to play it on is worth near enough £50 in mint condition & unopened.

This has brightened my despite the fact I will almost certainly never get around to selling it.

Yeah, I bought that Batman issue where they left in a dong and I'm never going to bother selling it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

As someone noted here the last time it came up, the Scottish Government's power to actually diverge from what Westminster wants is very limited, so they do a lot of presenting what they're being forced to do as considered decisions.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Josef bugman posted:

What is the "standard" circadian rhythm supposed to be?

One, thirteen or seventeen years.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

OwlFancier posted:

You might be able to make something like turkish delight instead.

Gap in the market for nut-free turkish delight, imo.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

OwlFancier posted:

Does it normally have nuts in?

Usually sprinkled with chopped pistachio or served with a pistachio flavour one that's green and may or may not have pistachios inside.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

crispix posted:

Sleepy Joe is probably going to announce Robert Kennedy or Corn Pop as his running mate. Given his very obvious rate of mental decline and that Trump is boasting about poisoning himself it's possible it could be a very different election in November

Essentially the only things we know about Trump's inner circle at any given time is that they have no qualms about lying to him and are unwilling to murder him. There's no way any of those lizards are actually giving him the lethal meds.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The defenses of Cummings are a big-budget version of "eating a meal? a succulent chinese meal?"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jose posted:

he 100% has no friends or anything else going on which is why he's always on the bbc

Standard reminder that when running for NUS president, Tom Harwood made more apperances in national media than percent votes received.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I saw something on FB a couple of days ago - a grandma wearing a 'suit' made of clear plastic fully covering arms, legs, body and a face shield so she could cuddle the grandkids. Don't know if that would be possible?

Hello grandchild. Would you like to see the reactor?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Guavanaut posted:

sousveillance

Steve Mann's most successful neologism, despite his continuing efforts to make the hydraulophone a thing Wikipedia won't put up for deletion.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

In fun US/Nazis history, I was reading earlier about the Apollo postal covers scandal, where a pair of German 'stamp collectors' persuaded the astronauts on Apollo 15 to sneak 400 envelopes into space and frank them there, with the plan to keep them secret for a number of years then sell them. The Germans immediately reneged on the deal and started selling them, and the astronauts were banned from future space missions. What most of the articles on the subject don't mention, but German wikipedia has two citations for, is that the German stamp collector with suspiciously close access to NASA astronauts was (huge shock incoming) literally a Nazi who was leader of a local Nazi group from the early 30s until the end of the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

They got essentially fired from NASA for taking a few too many stamp-addressed-envelopes to the moon, and for what they would receive against their salary, I would have done the same thing

Yeah, I mean it's a comically petty scheme to involve actually visiting the moon for, it's more just the inevitable involvement of an actual nazi who immediately hosed it.