Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ms Adequate posted:

Nah the cruelty is the point. I remember a documentary I watched a few years ago - think it was Portillo whomst was presenting - and after finding a potential means of execution involving some gas or other widely believed to be painless if it was used for such a purpose, took the idea to some top pro-execution oval office in Texas or somewhere.

Said oval office was almost visibly shaking with rage at the prospect of a less cruel, more reliably painless means of execution. All the talk about wanting to do it 'properly' and how it is a grim necessity or what have you went directly out of the window as soon as an actual alternative was presented. That talk lasts as long as is required to try and avoid the cruel and unusual punishment clause, and not a micron further.

Genuinely surprised there isn't a huge pro-torture movement in the US. (Well, the Republicans exist, but you know what I mean :v:)

iirc the bizarre cocktail they use for lethal injections is used specifically because it keeps you awake until death (and has a chance of feeling like liquid fire is being pushed through your veins), when you could much more reliably kill people through injection by ODing them on anaesthesia.

But like guav said, that's no fun because then they might die without knowing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Bobstar posted:

Know much about assisted suicide methods? I've only really read about one, which was drink an anti-emetic and then a poisonous something. Wondering if there are others.

E: specifically ones the person does to themselves, in some way.

Quite aside from the legal aspect of posting about this, I wouldn't post about this. Some of the methods are surprisingly easy and accessible, and once you know them you can't really un-learn them, which isn't great if you (or anyone else who saw the post) is a person who might at some point be at risk of attempting suicide.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

Over the counter Sarco when?

Hell, I'd drive that to work.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

XMNN posted:

I think based on the axes that the red line represents the official death toll up to the 4th of May (29,427 announced yesterday would put it over the Italy line) and the circle is the number of people who have died after testing positive by the 5th of May.

why those numbers are different, why they haven't drawn the lines up to the 5th, and why it's not better explained in a key or caption, are another set of questions

Because the dot at 32k includes some number of care home deaths, which are not included at any point on the line. If they joined the May 5th dot to the line, it would look like there was a huge overnight spike in deaths, which there wasn't. But they also can't redraw the line to factor in the additional deaths because that would take guesswork on their part, and the line is drawn from official sources.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1259827662685691906

Even when it's something of this scale all the Labour right can do is tone policing and managing expectations.

When someone like this talks about "being a grown-up" somehow all I can picture is their face sliding up and down the line between "we have food at home" and "orders one black coffee, leaves" on the mcdonalds alignment chart.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

This will never happen though because that's not the kind of saving money this government wants to do, it would look like a £50bil reduction in economic activity and that's bad according to GDP worshipers.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

VideoGames posted:

Just read this whole thread and yikes it really does highlight a lot of stuff:

https://twitter.com/imajsaclaimant/status/1259628794970886144

The best thing about this is how many little things fall in the memory hole because there's only so much I can be shocked by at once. I almost forgot about operation last gasp.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jedit posted:

I've actually heard that what Marie Antoinette said was more in the spirit of "then why do they not eat brioche?" Not dismissive, just failing to understand that there was a problem.

Either way it was definitely the period equivalent of "it's one banana, what could it cost, ten dollars?"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think we're going to start seeing a subtle undermining of the key/essential workers picking up speed over the next few months to 'put them back in their place' after all this 'hero' stuff.
I noticed from that graph someone posted earlier of public approval that there's been a slight drop in NHS approval.

This but remove "mortal" and replace with "prole scum and we hate you and hope you die"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sanford posted:

So, like utter poo poo?

Been getting big Tommy vibes ever since the first clap tbh

quote:

I WENT into a public 'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, " We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' " Tommy, go away " ;
But it's " Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's " Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' " Tommy, wait outside ";
But it's " Special train for Atkins " when the trooper's on the tide
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's " Special train for Atkins " when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap.
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, fall be'ind,"
But it's " Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's " Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Chuck him out, the brute! "
But it's " Saviour of 'is country " when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An 'Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sanford posted:

I've got somewhere the bit of paper that was pinned to my grandad's lapel after the first battle of El-Alamein, which lists his injuries including six bullet wounds, 78 shrapnel wounds, a fractured skull, 17 other bone fractures and "partial loss" of his hand, amongst other things. I've also got a letter, dated 1947, explaining that he was not entitled to any additional financial support because his "permanent disability is not expected to exceed 20% in any of the defined categories". I should get round to making it into an image macro for whenever anyone claims soldiers were ever treated like "heroes".

It's arguable that in fiction as well as history this is what being treated like a hero really means and that there's nothing actually inconsistent or hypocritical about it. We demand everything of heroes and then treat them like utter poo poo when it comes time to pay them back, that's the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Bobstar posted:

Case in point for Ronya's theories of not talking about politics at home.

It's hosed up that the British public generally views politics as something that happens Over There rather than being a thing applicable or relevant to their daily lives.

It's significantly more concerning that the political class apparently feels the same way.