Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red Oktober posted:

A decision which indirectly lead to Johnson becoming our current PM.

And yet Victoria Coren Mitchell still wields no power. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

XMNN posted:

if I drink a beer that's a year past its sell by date am I going to die

it looks a bit cloudy if that changes anything

It'll just taste mildly poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

crispix posted:

He spoke for 13 minutes but communicated gently caress all

He communicated that any further deaths are our fault, not his.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Angrymog posted:

You think that he's still enjoying being PM?

He thinks it's his god given right and purpose. Enjoyment is secondary (as long as he still gets his coke and booze every few days which he definitely is).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is this a 'reject the evidence of your eyes and ears' situation? I'm pretty sure he specifically said 'addicted'.

Good news either way.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The teens and the other adult should probably pitch in with the cleaning.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Also how filthy are these people? At the moment we're giving our flat a light clean every other weekend and it's fine. Splitting the rooms means it doesn't take all that long - maybe 2-3 hours.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Firos posted:

It's very reminiscent of Frances Barber threatening to sack her Polish cleaner because someone was mildly critical of her online.

That's amazing, I need context.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

:laffo::wtc:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Replace BBC 4 with the Slipknot channel and I don't think anyone will notice

I'm in favour of this plan.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's weird seeing Charlie Brooker happy and spending time with his family.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So this is basically gleeful murder now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Angepain posted:

There's a knock at the door. It's a friendly man from the council, with good news! You've been selected to be a hero!

Which lucky hero will be thrown into the volcano to appease the gods infected to appease the FTSE today?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tarnop posted:

I missed car insurance chat from a couple of pages back, but as with every FCA regulated industry: complain. Complain about the process, use the magic words Treating Customers Fairly, and remember that if you escalate your complaint to the Ombudsman, which you have the right to do for any complaint, then the company has to pay for it to the tune of about £400

The people at the ombudsman who work on insurance complaints loving hate companies cancelling policies for bullshit reasons, so hammer on that and how a cancelled policy is a black mark that you have to declare to future insurers.

To add to this, they'd really need to explain why the original documents you provided weren't good enough. If they specifically needed proof of address they should've told you that in the first place - but that doesn't mean they're in the wrong for asking for it after the fact. If you deliberately didn't provide it and they can show they needed it then they'd probably be fine to cancel the policy. There might be some compensation for messing you around and not being clear about what they needed in the first place though.

I presume the tenancy agreement had your address though so they'd need a pretty good reason for rejecting that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aphex- posted:

Rumours circulating around my work that most of us won't be going back into the office at all this year and will be WFH for the rest of it. Makes sense honestly and it's not like I'm unhappy with that news!

We're the same. They just spent two months and probably loads of money getting thousands of people set up to work from home so they're not likely to want to rush everyone back to the office.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of most of the office space and make working from home the norm once this is over now that the infrastructure's in place.

Josef bugman posted:

What can you do in this instance? Is responding with violence as well not considered a good option?

I would've thought the best course of action would've just been to refuse to leave and call the police if they tried to force the guy out. Now that he's out he'd probably have to wait for the courts to do something about it.

Obviously the kids make that next to impossible which makes this even more lovely.

stev fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 19, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

blunt posted:

Not to outright disagree with you, but this presupposes that the only things someone does with their time is work and watch Netflix. If you enjoy leaving the house and doing things (especially with other people) then living in the middle of a city has a lot of upsides which for some people justifies the price (pandemic notwithstanding).

I guess what I'm saying is, not a lot of nights out in the countryside.

As someone who lives in London a night out in London is usually a miserable experience.

Smaller, cheaper cities are much better for that kind of thing. I miss Norwich.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Purple Prince posted:

Yeah in London you have three choices of bar: overpriced, overfull, or overgimmicked.

Usually all three.

I miss when no one in London knew or cared about the German beer halls. You need to book ages in advance now and their prices have skyrocketed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Just heard on Sky News that the Queen has lost £80m in personal wealth because all the royal houses are shut to tourism, forcing her forcing her I say to lay off a load of staff

guillotine

So people who use tourism to justify her existence can go gently caress one?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Private Speech posted:

Just went for a code toucher interview today and apparently WFH is impossible for them and they don't "do" social distancing. Also the manager insisted on shaking my hand and told me to take off my mask b/c yeah I dunno.

Honestly they don't seem too bad aside from that but still.

Sounds like an elaborate ploy to kill you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Just found out my Great Aunt died of Covid-19 on Monday :(

She was in a care home that was used to empty the beds of the elderly from the acute wards of two local hospitals ahead of the first wave of the pandemic. This had the obvious effect of riddling the home with the virus, most of the staff ended up getting taken ill, 14 residents died and the home has now been shutdown completely over concerns about the quality of care.

I mean, gently caress all Tories forever and always, but particularly gently caress them right now, the care home massacre is nothing short of a crime against humanity and there had better be an enquiry after all of this. That or all Tories should have to do a 2-week stint working in one. I'd settle for either to be honest.

My gran died a few weeks ago from covid she caught in her care home. Several residents were just terfed straight back there from hospital in the weeks prior - and my gran looked like she was on the mend after two days so they were actually preparing to take her back as well. As far as I'm concerned she was murdered. It's a horrible feeling to actually know and be close to someone who's died directly as a result of the Tories. I know it won't stop anyone in my family voting for them though and I've pre-emptively decided not to open that particular can of worms.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's not fair or sustainable, but not in the way that he thinks.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This is just getting a bit sad now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

40 hamsters?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

There's also like 10 different common types of chair that are all different sizes. A school chair? Office chair? Dining table chair? Bean bag? Throne? Gamer chair? Those weird egg chair things?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

blunt posted:

42 inches being 106cm.

2 meters isn't a magic number, it's a convenient one that people can roughly approximate to help people understand how far they should stay away from each other - the same reason the US is telling people to stay 6 feet apart as opposed to 2 meters. You already know this, because you're a rational and literate adult.

Complaining about trivia only undercuts our complaints about substantive issues.

We (the left) all complain about trivia too much.

It's funny though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I made millions of bells on the stalk market during a work Zoom meeting this week. If anything I deserve a pay rise.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What disgusting feculant do you people have in your bedrooms/lounges that needs to be hidden by a virtual background?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

London wages aren't that much better than the rest of the country for your average worker (ie not city wanker) - especially not taking the cost of living into account. The main benefit of London is the quantity of average paid jobs with the slight possibility of moving into a city wanker job.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

peanut- posted:

Twitter is not real life either, but Kuenssberg has been getting an absolute kicking from prominent blue check journalists of every stripe for the last 12 hours. It's not exactly limited to just here.

Yeah it's encouraging to see her at least getting ratio'd.

How long before Laura and the other Beeb accounts turn off replies on stuff like this?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/charltonbrooker/status/1264120695228940289?s=19

Rip any future Wipes.

E: aw that didn't last long

stev fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 23, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dell_Zincht posted:

I don't know, the news story is spreading pretty quickly

Never underestimate the attention span of the British media. Something else will crop up to draw attention by the end of the day.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

At least in the Twitter bubble the only people sticking up for Cummings are generally the same wankers who think the whole lockdown thing is unnecessary, and also ignore the rules.

I've seen a few 'an exception should be made for him because he's important' takes but not too many.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Coohoolin posted:

Glinner lol

The thing with him is that Twitter gave him a platform that shone a magnifying glass on his nonsense. If he never made an account but still publicly held all of his "views" he'd probably be fine.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sky News has been running it all day.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

These answers are so weak. Basically giving blanket permission for people to make excuses to break the rules now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Basically just confirmed he's a shite dad there.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

She didn't bother seeing her between January and March. Sounds like she was using this as an excuse not to visit.

Which is fair enough. What changed two days ago though? Hope she gets fined.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1264262838622830601?s=19

:laffo:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1264264397972811776?s=19

:laffo::laffo:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm guessing we'll get a day of denial and that photos of him holding that day's Telegraph come out Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aphex- posted:

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1264465716000022528?s=19

:3:

I remember the joy I had when I was a kid and riding a bike finally clicked, it's awesome to see adults who never had the chance to learn finally do it!

It's also how most kids learn not to trust their dads. "I won't let go" my arse. :colbert: