Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bloodly posted:

Without a way to properly challenge the various businesses that hold a grip on the offices of power(Power supplies, manufacturing, computing, industries, etc) would a 'revolution' aid much in itself? How do you deal with that aspect of the problem? The wealthy/powerful are so very enmeshed with each other that I'm not sure simply changing the leadership even outright to someone unconnected like the Green Party or some such would be enough without dealing with all the lobbies and such too.

All good revolutions have ideas for dealing with the wealthy and powerful, however enmeshed with each other they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jedit posted:

I have personally met Richard Head, so they're not all myths.

My brother knew a Richard Head.

I knew a Richard Butt (went to school with him) and last I knew he was engaged to a girl called Frances who went by "Fanny".

My brother knew a Wayne and Joe King... which I have had corroborated by somebody else he went to school with. Apparently they were Wayne and Joe something else but then his Mum got remarried to a Mr. King and they all changed their names.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Spoke to my wife's friend yesterday. She works for a British medical device company. They were being contracted by the gov to design a ventilator which could be made rapidly and efficiently in response to coronavirus, despite not having made ventilators before...

The contract got cancelled this week, apparently because they've decided "they don't need loads of ventilators anymore".

Just utterly shambolic.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't suppose they gave any hints as to why they thought they needed so many and now don't?

Nothing solid, just supposition. Somebody said that UK hospitals are only actually running at 60% capacity used at the moment? Also I figure if they're not using Nightingale then that's all tied into the same thing. Who actually knows if that's because it's not needed or because they can't get the staff?

That said, somebody on the zoom call did say their brother (or something) is a doctor in training, had been rushed through to work with patients but that's all been cancelled now?

I dunno, very patchy info tbh.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(Note that I don't actually *mind* her as a figure on the Labour right, and if they were all like her we would have a much better party, I'm just trying to soften the blow for everyone when it turns out she doesn't storm the lectern at Conference waving the Little Red Book)

Yeah it's this. She's one of the "good" Labour Right in that she doesn't seem to have actively undermined the Left, but she's still on the right. It's so depressing that that's the bar to pass, and that like 95% of the fuckers don't even make it.

E: My day on a plate, for yesterday.

Wake up at 10:30. Snooze in bed and finally crawl out of it at ~11:10.

12:00 - Three slices of cheese on toast, one with marmite, one with some leftover Indian coriander/chilli/garlic chutney on, one with herbs, on white bread.
13:00 - Strong coffee with semi-skimmed milk, plus maple syrup, leaving me unpleasantly wired for the afternoon.
19:15 - Pasta with mushroom and green pepper sauce (from a jar) with added peas, sweetcorn and brocolli (all frozen).
21:30 - The last of a tub of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia, along with the start of a pot of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked, plus trail mix on the top (roasted salted nuts, raisins and smarties).

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 4, 2020

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

hemale in pain posted:

i'm surprised people are trying to spin that excess hospitals and beds are a bad thing because government bad rather than it being a good thing because there wasn't as many deaths as we feared there could be.

They're letting loads of people die in care homes, and at home generally, without them ever being to hospital. This is why the actual death figures are more than twice as much as what the reported official figures are.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Venezuela captured some US mercenaries trying to coup Maduro.

https://twitter.com/camilateleSUR/status/1257491295947415553?s=20

lol.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Guavanaut posted:

He does have a pro-tier mustache tho.

ask me about my political compass

The Dance Commander should be more authoritarian than centrist, as he is giving out the order for fun.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I honestly just think is weird how cross you all are with the BBC. Like you get to be smarter than the people that tell everyone what to think... Well done?

poo poo troll attempt.

D-

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Lol, what is even the point in asking if people trust "the internet"?

Yeah it's a bit broad isn't it. Same with "social media". Like, do I trust any old shite that my boomer relatives post on Facebook? Obviously not.

Do I trust what Journos post on Twitter? Depends which journo, generally not.

Do I trust the aggregate information I receive via social media, via my carefully curated feed, to give me an overall generally accurate picture of what's going on in the world/UK, after being passed through some actual critical analysis on my part? Pretty much. More so than I trust the papers or TV or other media.

Still, if I had to give a yes/no answer as to whether I trust "social media" I'd have to think "Do I trust social media to give a generally accurate picture of what's going on to one of my boomer relatives who is more likely to follow random celebs and take what's presented to them at face value", and the answer would be no.

Still, begs the question if so many people distrust the media, how does it still have such a massive effect on people's voting?

Can only assume it's a combination of this:

OwlFancier posted:

Presumably that graph is describing that people do not trust "the press" as in "all the other papers except mine" which is a perfectly reasonable outcome for an extremely partisan press.

and this:

Guavanaut posted:

Because "it's all bollocks anyway, I only read it for the sport."

Which is up there with "advertising doesn't work on me."

E:

Guavanaut posted:

Do you trust the information on that internet? You know, the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the World Health Organization, InfoWars, forwarded chain emails, Oxford MSDS Database, Usenet, Spiked Online, that sort of stuff.

LMAO

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Munin posted:

I mean, you essentially just said here that you'd answer "no" to the social media question because while you trust your favoured social media sources you don't trust what is in the ecosystem in general. That is very much like a newspaper reader saying that they trust the paper they like but all else is trash so newspapers as a whole are untrustworthy.

That is a good point. Still, there are good and bad sources of info on the internet and social media and if you're making a conscious effort to evaluate which is which and also paying attention to a variety of sources then I think that's about as well as you can do.

As compared to a person who typically reads one paper, and/or watches one news channel it's usually gonna be better.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/transscribe/status/1259431440988737537?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bardeh posted:

I got a letter through from HMRC today. I used to be self-employed, and apparently they think I'm eligible to apply for the self-employed income support thingy even though I'm already on 80% furlough from my current job. They say I can apply from Wednesday. I still make residual income from my old self-employed stuff and still file taxes for it, which is probably why. Once they discover that my self-employed income isn't my main income anymore I'm sure they won't give me any more money, but I figure it's worth a shot for more free government bucks.

Careful with that. They're equally likely to give you money, then decide at some time in the future that they shouldn't have given you that money and demand all of it back.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Frances Barbarism.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jabby's joke was funny. People giving him poo poo for it are in fact, the real poo poo.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Take him right now. Cats turning down food is bad news IME.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

baka kaba posted:

classic stopped digital clock dan

DanHodgesClockAnalogy.jpg

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Party Boat posted:

For 30 miles to a local beauty spot, and not around my parents' private estate that's so large it has multiple properties and woodland.

On my wife's birthday. Also my wife can drive.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Vitamin P posted:

It never went away it's literally always been a useful method.

This is dumb and wrong.

Much as I'm loathe to link to the Guardian, this seems a good article:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/may/03/death-of-debate-jordan-peterson-slavoj-zizek-alexandria-ocasio-cortez

quote:

Who wins from public debate? Liars, bullies and trolls

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Disnesquick posted:

I've got a twenty-year-old relative who often visits my family, who does indeed come out with this crap. The issue isn't with any of this though, it's that he's got not job and no girlfriend and wants both, and that the far-right poison machine keeps feeding him explanations as to why this is the fault of trans folk and Muslims.

After going back to square one a number of times, progress is being made and introspection has replaced dogma. He's realised that big far-right screeds have completely wrecked the two dating situations he was in in the last couple of days.

So no. Refusing to engage would have lost a fundamentally good kid to the fash.

Engaging with somebody one on one in a non-public arena is a very good, valuable and effective way to make a difference.

It is also not "debate".

Debates have a very important thing - an audience. You're not trying to convince your opponent in a debate, you're trying to convince an audience. Sadly, liars, bullshitters and shills find it much easier to win over an audience than somebody who is arguing in bad faith. It can take 5 seconds to make a bullshit claim about something and 10 minutes to refute that same claim. It's an asymmetric battlefield where those with no shame have the upper hand by miles.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 29, 2020

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

thespaceinvader posted:

Idiots jump off cliffs for thrills all the time tho?

Like, cliff diving is a thing.

Yeah but you have to like, work up to doing the big jumps, get the technique down. If you don't hit the water juuuust right from those heights you can break your back and stuff.

Guessing these people were just some chuds who'd never done anything like it before.

I did a canyoning in Wales for my stag do, and the last thing we did was jump off a waterfall which was, I wanna say, 7 metres high (I think that's what I remember). I landed slightly wrong the first time I did it and it felt like I'd been kicked up the arse HARD and had the wind knocked out of me.

From 7m your terminal velocity will be something like 26mph, from 200ft (apparently what those guys at Durdle Door did) it'll be around 70mph. Energy goes up by the square of the speed so although it's less than 3x faster it's about 7.3x more energy when you hit.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jose posted:

if you see the massive protests against racism and capitalism in the us and get annoyed at people discussing it here with posters they know in what is practically a chat thread you're probably a oval office imo

Fully agree. Also this is definitely spilling over into the UK. There are protests planned.

Like, especially that this is a heavily leftist thread which is always (rightly) going on about internationalist action against western capitalism/imperialism it's absolutely fair and good to discuss this stuff here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Communist Thoughts posted:

a croby government woulda been lovely but he was stupid enough to believe himself accountable and would still have taken over a government machine incapable of making masks let alone reshaping society

Do you think that we as a nation are genuinely incapable of making masks? Or ventilators? Or gowns, faceshields, gloves? Or even if we lack the industrial base to make them ourselves, do you think we could have maybe sourced some?

Do you believe that the Tories were genuinely trying as hard as they could? Or do you think that maybe they were using this as an excuse to not spend any money and simply siphon off government funds to their donors and mates, like they do with literally everything?

Do you think maybe that with some actual political will, better things might be possible?

If you truly believe that the "government machine" is incapable of doing any of this stuff, with the right direction, then you've fallen into the Tory trap of believing that nothing better is possible and they are trying their best.