Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

dat new thread smell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G487EDeXadA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exr-DOWJ3A0

I wish I wasn't so sad all of the time

I wish my heroes didn't keep dying

anyway, ttrmrmp

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

tttmrmrmrmpptr

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

lol there's always an end in sight

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

what is there even to do, every day I wake up somebody I know or love or respect is slain, it's not going to sotp for months, how does one adjust to that?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

just gonna put Buckethead's discography on repeat to fall asleep to and hope that solves all my problems, will report back

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DEATH

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Current guesses

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Cumulative deaths by May 31st guesses:

1-76:

77-147:

The median guess is, once again, 169420.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/305906786408480770

I will collect more guesses tomorrow. There's still until 07:00 GMT May 2nd to guess.

Damnit somebody else already beat me to closest without going over Price is Right strategies

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

facetoucher cat posted:

You'd hate my keyboard lmao

Lol that's almost the same as the one I use, which has a 2nd row of programmable buttons and the little screen doesn't work anymore

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Strep Vote posted:

:( I will be sad if you die so you can't. I will elevate my complaint to Allah, the Highest manager of all.

People today first thing they do is COMPLAIN KAREN, when what they should be doing is CONSULT QUR'AN

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

lmao trump's approval hit a record high

I think the Dem plan to just sit back quietly and let Trump hog the media spotlight, thus convincing people he is unfit to lead, isn't gonna work this time either!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Often Abbreviated posted:

So like 1/3rd of the deaths in the US are in NYC alone. Presumably it got started and was spreading in NYC weeks before anywhere else. So the high number of deaths there I'm guessing is just that city being further along the curve. Meanwhile the rest of the country is only just now catching up and getting to the point where it's nicely scattered throughout the general population, ready to explode everywhere if you give it half a chance, and they're opening everything up for business because it was all a Chinese hoax? Is that right?

Yep! The only real hope now is that we had a really bad read on it initially and it's been spreading like crazy to the point that most people have caught it and it just turns out the CFR is barely above influenza. There's nothing to support this hope, but it's the only one we've got.

All the stuff that needs to be in place to make re-opening work isn't there. Anywhere you can't just go and get a test because you want one is somewhere that it is not safe to reopen and those places are also the ones currently re-opening

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

At 197 guesses the median is... 169420

1-70:

71-140:

141-197:

since I'm no longer able to be lowest without going over, I'd like to change my guess to 410757864531

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

it's in space now, the opportunity for the toll to rise now involves other species

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Spergin Morlock posted:

aww you bastard

:evilbuddy:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Lol from the gbs thread

rude, we love guns here, we love the Chairman and the Party

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/JennyDreaslerTV/status/1256308258756874245

been nice knowin' yall lmao

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

what e gently caress does "50% capacity" mean in the context of a service establishment

like, 50% of fire codes?

I assume so, hopefully the actual language also specifies distances between tables or whatever because if not, lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

The blue angels and thunderbirds just flew over my house wonder how much this dumb bullshit cost lol

60k per hour per plane

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the problem with rural spread that's going to kick off now isn't just that proximity to major population centers is considerably lessened as a safety factor by the fact that they all have to go to the same couple stores to shop or eat out, it's also that they have zero loving hospitals because rural hospitals aren't profitable

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

yeah so they have nobody to count the bodies so who's going to even notice

just pretending it's not happening in the official records is already the go-to

iirc the "official" death toll from Maria is still in the single digits because they only counted people directly killed by the wind of the hurricane

we're gonna have ~80k deaths total and a spike of like 2 million in excess mortality even factoring in the fewer car accidents

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

if there's escalating hostilities anywhere it'll probably be Venezuela, police and a citizens militia there just absolutely open palm slammed a bunch of US-backed mercs into their early graves without our guys even getting a shot off, I can't imagine that won't rankle some old School of Americas chuds

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I haven't budged from my initial prediction that it started somewhere else and either a military or affluent travelers brought it there, on account of literally every plague being the result of military movements/training or rich people who just vacation 24/7

this is also the reason why the wrong country usually takes the blame, because it first "appears" in some area that is actually willing or able to recognize it in the first place lol

unfortunately we won't know for years and it won't matter even if it turns out it started in France or wherever

edit - this isn't out of some affection for China or anything, just that I refuse to believe it couldn't have started spreading on some US boat and broke out from there until it affected a nation that wasn't totally psychotic like we are

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

also because all of the people in power and on tv who have been wrong about literally everything my entire life say it came from China

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Marzzle posted:

I like the idea that the USA instigated the whole thing because trump is dumb as gently caress and thought it would "win" the trade war with china and set up the USA's 1000 year riech and it just completely flipped around on him

if this was a US project there is zero chance they ever told Trump anything about it lmao

can you imagine having to just kind of hope Trump doesn't accidentally mention our big strong virus winning us the trade war in a presser or call with Xi?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lol there's no oversight by design and she voted for it anyway

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PFC is correct that if you're in the midwest, rust belt, or south, people will absolutely go out of their way to try to run you over if you bike on roads. The only reason it's somewhat safe to do here is because it's a college town so the police will actually gently caress somebody up for doing that. Most places they do not give a single poo poo and would probably tell you that you deserved it and should've been driving.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't see how trail biking is high risk if takeout so far hasn't proven to be. The #1 for sure way to catch it is to share air with somebody who has it for an extended period of time, even just riding an elevator with somebody isn't a reliable transmission vector if the office spread patterns out of SK are anything to go by. Nobody whines about the people who still do liquor store runs here but actually exercising gets a lashback lmao

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

my boss and his doctor are 99% sure he had/has it, with the caveat of lmao good luck getting a test, and if so it's astonishing just how horrible an illness this is even if you never reach any of the critical stages

he was a wreck for a solid 2 weeks, and the recovery from it has been insanely slow

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the #1 reason I'm pretty sure what I had in early March wasn't the roni is because it was only 36 hours of pure hell followed by 5 days of miserable slow recovery, which seems too mild from a lot of what I've seen

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

karoshi posted:

You've got to hand it the GOP, they are gonna generate a great data-set on covid-19's R0. Once the real data is FOIA'ed in 10 years.

r0 of .2 or something, but an unexplained 2 million+ spike in pneumonia deaths more likely lol

SKULL.GIF posted:

There are currently 2.2 million active official cases of COVID-19. 49,900 of these are serious/critical.

I just wish the fact that even in the non-critical cases where it's in its "mild" form that younguns are more likely to get, it's oftentimes like being run over by a killdozer and then having it back up and park on your chest, would get more coverage

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lmfao

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If stores and fast food places run out of meat that's basically the end of America

I'm certain that the sloth and rigid class structures present across the nation could weather any other storm but no more meat would destroy us, every class has been trained their entire lives to expect meat with every meal

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lmfao

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

protests in downtown Indy to protest a spate of police shootings, they've chosen to deploy teargas in the middle of a respiratory virus outbreak, COPS!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

she didn't die OF alligator she died WITH alligator

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Schnorkles posted:

whole lotta conspiracy minded thinking itt by people who don't have a drat clue what pharma development actually looks like

I think it looks like a biohazard placard covered dumpster just engulfed in flames while a bunch of guys who look like the nerd from the Simpsons or Muppets run around in a panic. I think this because it's the funniest way to think about it, and laughter is the best medicine

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Yeah I think it probably will end up being a city disease honestly the kind of prolonged mass indoor contact at work just seems like not something you see in extractive industry or agriculture or whatever rurals do

in a lot of these areas the whole rugged loner hermit thing is just an affectation. They'll catch it crammed into a TJ Maxx or Wal Mart or diner and their sense of invulnerability will lead to big vectors like theaters and church services staying open to make up for the lack of density. The only reason numbers would stay down is because there's also probably no testing or ICU beds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

shovelbum posted:

You're not in those places 10 hours a day like you are at an office or whatever though, it's just a lot less opportunity to spread

yeah but there's also zero effort or will to prevent spread so it probably evens out, church services are a huge vector because it's cramped and enclosed and also singing generates the same droplet density that coughing does