Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

babypolis posted:

so whats the deal with sweden? honestly the numbers from over there dont seem that bad considering they arent murdering their own economy like everyone else

not only is their economy getting murdered, but have 8x the deaths of north carolina with the same number of people.

white people are lionizing sweden because they're using this disease as a way to kill off expensive pensioners and their somali refugee population

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

twoday posted:

Anyway, the choice of murdering your economy or murdering your people is a false dichotomy. Even in Sweden a lot of people have changed their habits and are hiding inside and shopping less. Young people still go to bars, sure, but it's not the same society it was 3 months ago. It didn't save their economy. This poo poo is not an on/off switch, there is nuance to every situation. By repeating these oversimplified talking points you are reinforcing the idiotic chud narrative.

lol it's not just a chud thing, white liberals are enamored with sweden's ethnic cleansing policy too

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

twoday posted:

liberals are also chuds

fair enough

i like to imagine if it was the PRC government that came out and said its time for the olds to die, the western media would be in an uproar over the barbarism of orientals

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Egg Moron posted:

deadly plague manufactured in china used by economic elites to push consolidation agenda

this timeline only makes sense if remdesivir was engineered to be their ambrosia and not a failed ebola drug reheated from the freezer

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
never because normal was the problem to begin with

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

CODChimera posted:

Yeah what the gently caress is going on over there lol

white supremacy plus right wing anti-intellectualism, white americans are going full white brazilian

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

boethius posted:

there is a finite number of heroes in the world, sorry chumps

lollin at the american definition of hero, which is just pure moral posturing, while the PRC makes hero a legal designation and includes economic benefits like giving your kids a break on tuition and bonus points on the college entrance exam

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
lmao trump's approval hit a record high

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Today iowa partial reopens 77 of 99 counties.

Today iowa posted it's most confirmed cases of 740.

May is really going to be opening the bloodgates for most of the US landmass

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

where are the adults this could’ve been solved in March

they live in cuba, vietnam, cambodia, laos, and china

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

galenanorth posted:

People on my local subreddit are commenting that the mayor's idea of including "transmission rate of less than one person per person and a decline in new cases over 14 days" is a bad idea and they should only base it on hospital capacity and testing capability

Aside from everything else wrong here, not keeping track of new cases is a good way to go from, say, 10% capacity to 200% capacity real quick

Local subreddits are getting heavily astroturfed by the donald in addition to the usual hubristic 20 something white guys

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
lol didn't that overbaked washington model say we already hit the peak last month?

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

paperwind posted:

Hawaii's chud contingent finally decided to have a party. https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/05/01/breaking-news/arrests-made-at-reopen-hawaii-rally-in-front-of-state-capitol/

Also I went to their Facebook page and found a pic from their last luau.

Haoles need to be hosed, broken, and driven from Hawaii entirely

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Blister posted:

It's gonna rule when we learn protection only lasts a few weeks and the herd immunity people melt into screeching puddles of denial

Herd immunity is a political fantasy cooked up by the west because disease control and prevention is fundamentally incompatible with modern liberalism

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Blarghalt posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't herd immunity only work if the disease hasn't loving turned into a pandemic?

The issue with trying to herd immunity your way out of this by giving it to everyone is that:

1. nobody knows how long immunity lasts, with coronaviruses in the same family it can be as long as 2 years or as little as 2-3 months.

2. by letting it spread you invite uncontrolled levels of mutations, visit nextstrain.org/ncov and take a look at how few genetically distinct strains there are from the chinese/asian outbreak (in purple) compared to the west making GBS threads the bed and letting it spread. this means you are trying to plan group immunity for a constantly moving target. it is a dangerous assumption because a genetically distinct enough strain could reignite infections among previously recovered people. this was seen in 2014 west africa with the ebola outbreak, they asked for previous ebola survivors to volunteer at containment facilities until those people also got sick and died from the new strain.

3. while your country is battling flareups, countries with a disciplined 2 month lockdown can safely resume travel after eradicating the virus from its borders. it isn't a nano plague like the gray death in deus ex, it needs hosts and cannot survive for more than 72 hours on smooth surfaces. those countries will form travel and trade pacts with each other and not plague-ridden shitholes like the non-oceania anglosphere and western europe.

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
the dta crowd never thought americans who do it themselves

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

mastershakeman posted:

There's a peer reviewed study saying surgical masks are almost as good as n95s against coronaviruses but way worse against bacteria but be a smug know it all who's wrong instead

Masks are white people's kryptonite, wearing one will remove their powers

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
Arkansas gov. says 'spend money' as state economy opens

quote:

LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas (AP) — Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson on Saturday encouraged residents to “tip very generously” and “spend money” when they head back into public in the coming days as stores, restaurants, malls and other venues start to reopen.

Demon cracker country got cracked open like an egg and all they can think of is "spend money" lmao

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Many of these protestors are carrying around thousands of dollars in toys. One woman at the PA “rally” had a $4k min camera rig. The tactilol kits cost at least as much. These are not financially desperate people.

I've seen that talking point get repeated by people like Eli Massey and I think it's time the American left just gets put out to pasture.

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Charlz Guybon posted:

That's not going to continue for the long term. Once it's entrenched enough among service workers (who are disproportionately minority), it is inevitably going to spread into their whiter customer base and become just as virulent there, especially as many of them are insistent on taking no precautions.

I went to high school with the cousin of the first person to die in st louis from it, she unequivocally called it a black genocide on facebook

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Lpzie posted:

covid-19 is a figment of the liberal media and the pharma industry to scare you into buying useless ppe and cure-alls. now, i've read the arguments on both sides, and i haven't found any evidence yet to support the need to wear a mask. Ever.

but at the same time, china covered it up and millions died

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
The crazies in texas are lining up to watch movies in confined, close quarters again:

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Lambert posted:

Probably planning on "sweating out" the virus through exercise.

some guy in wuhan tried that approach and ended up with muscular dystrophy because heavy exercise depresses immunity and his muscles got a dose of the corona as well

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
The west is one big suicide pact

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

What's the point of yellowcaking this, can't fight a war when half your navy is going to come down with corona the second you order them to mobilize and deploy because wearing masks would hurt trump's feelings and your home front is entirely in shambles

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

etalian posted:

It's all Trumpian projection to cover how the US was poorly prepared from both a cultural point of view and also in terms of leadership.

Blaming China for lying if though they updated the numbers to show additional deaths, while the state of FL "Corrected" medical examiners numbers was hilariously ironic.

A good rule of thumb for the American media is to pay attention to what they are accusing China of, chances are the US is planning on doing the same thing in 3-4 weeks

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

ChristsDickWorship posted:

i know no one here is dumb enough to go see a concert in the next year or so but if you're considering it you should imagine yourself crossing a picket line cuz aint no way iatse is going back to work with just a mask from the promoter

CSPAM has been mostly free of astroturf because nobody wants to pay 9.99 on an influence op.

D&D on the other hand was arguing in february that public transit isn't a vector for spread and masks don't work, so perhaps someone there would go to a concert if a smart phd person on NPR told them it was ok

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
U.S. Beef Output Is Down Way More Than Shutdowns Suggest

quote:

American beef output is down a lot more than plant closures would have you believe -- a sign that slowdowns at facilities will continue to keep meat supplies tight even when some production lines reopen.

Cattle slaughter dropped 37% this week from a year ago, U.S. Department of Agriculture data show. That far outstrips the 10% to 15% in capacity that’s been halted with meat plants closed after coronavirus outbreaks among employees. Hog slaughter was down 35%, also topping the shutdown figure of 25% to 30%.

And to think even spammers were talking themselves into the idea that there wouldn't be meat shortages lmao

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Lawman 0 posted:

What we should actually do is make it mandatory to have it grass fed which will legitimately make it better for you, cut down on cow farts and cut consumption.
Corn fed beef is bad for you, cows and the environment.

Americans: muh hamburgers, muh beef

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Agrajag posted:

like cmon it only took 3 weeks of quarantine but not quarantine to make most of white america into even bigger hollerin' nutjobs

we are so not prepared for any kind of hardship

And to think Americans are also lusting for a war with China too, as if they wouldn't draft Billy straight out of Big State U to die on the beaches of hainan

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

mrmcd posted:

I mean the planes are 95% empty and hepa air filtered right now so yeah, I guess so. 6ft is easy when you have 4 whole rows to yourself.

This is the first time in history people are turning down free upgrades to first class because the 8-16 seats there have more people than anywhere else in the plane due to the lack of frequent business travelers flying now

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
My Costco meat manager buddy forwarded me their meat department inventory weekly report and it looks absolutely apocalyptic

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
50% operating capacity for beef, pork, and chicken. Only 1.5 million hogs killed last week compared to 2.7 million normally. The cut out (whole animal) price after slaughter for a cow hit $375, up from $293 this week. The last time there was a huge price spike was 2015 when it hit $260.

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Nonsense posted:

HEB started limiting amounts of meat you can buy last Monday. I'm glad they thought ahead to the eventual run on meat. People are still grilling every other day :\

Yeah he told me to get all your meat buying done in the next few days because after that the supply chain will be dry

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Zeroisanumber posted:

I got beans until dawn. Just gonna be laughing and farting and eating beans while boomer scum are sobbing over their cold, dark grills.

for people who can't hoard consumers will just shift to the pulse/legume market after the media tells them to and drive that supply chain into exhaustion too

GATES FOUNDATION has issued a correction as of 21:20 on May 3, 2020

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Lambert posted:

Rabbit has way too many bones, I don't recommend it.

Rabbit has to be stewed with chicken

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
the people can have a little carnism, as a treat

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The study I linked was sampling data from non-Hubei provinces that did not actually go "straight up inside" because the epidemic was contained at the test-and-trace phase there.

One of the huge spreader events was the women's equality march in spain

quote:

The politics alone are daunting. Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez, weak after forming a minority government, likely didn’t want to risk his fragile hold on power by banning large gatherings, experts say. Instead, he allowed thousands to attend soccer games last week, as well as permitted a 120,000-strong feminist rally in Madrid to proceed.

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
lol the new media narrative is that china lied to everyone in january so they could hoard more PPE, as if the rest of the world being alarmed at the wuhan lockdown was not enough evidence that this was going to crack open unprepared countries like an egg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

you have to take as many precautions as you can but literally staying cloistered for the entire spring and summer is going to be a huge ask for anyone who isn't already a goony shut-in

wuhan was closed for 80 days, Americans just lack the self control and discipline to sacrifice for the greater good in any situation. Nobody's asking you to pick up a rifle and risk your life, people are asking you to stay home to save your life.

Not to mention the 2+ million people that the country keeps cloistered for all 4 seasons, sometimes for life behind bars. A shelter in place order is truly a human rights violation