Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

C-Euro posted:

I loved the first game on Wii but still haven't beaten it :negative: My Wii is still hooked up as a constant reminder of this fact, I swear I'll beat it someday!

If you purchase the Definitive Edition, you can take it with you On The Go, and surely that'll help you actually finish it!
....not that you should be going lots of places nowadays.
....also apparently the portable mode for DE is Xenoblade 2-tier.
I guess it wouldn't help you all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

come to think of it, riki might be one of my favorite jrpg characters of all time

his personality, his battle quotes, his combat style. literally his only flaw is he can't generate aggro, which is itself appropriate because you can't stay mad at him

I like Riki a lot for the type of character he is, so it's really a shame how bad they dropped the ball with Tatsu and Tora. Though I can't remember if the AI knows to stack his damage over time skills or not.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wonder if they will improve the AI because iirc the game just could not play Melia or Riki at all. You either had to control them or they would be nearly worthless.

Ethiser posted:

If they haven't then it is really funny that they created a whole new part of the game where Melia is mandatory.

From previews and impressions, if the AI has been improved, it's not to a noticeable degree. Future Connected apparently starts you off with Melia as the player character instead of Shulk, so that's how they got around that.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Great ("great") moments in Xenoblade X's main plot, in no particular order:
- One of the first things that happens in the game is Elma being openly suspicious of Maurice Chausson and suggesting he's attempting some kind of coup to seize power. This thread goes nowhere and is resolved in a mandatory affinity mission where Elma's like "actually he's a Good Guy because he let his son die instead of someone else"
- There's this bit in the later half of the game where the characters are talking about how low morale is, and they mention that Irina is in such a bad place mentally that she's reckless to the point of being suicidal, and that does not describe anything we see of Irina during the entire game.
- One of the last mandatory affinity missions is training Gwin, which I guess is supposed to be so you'll have a decent fourth party member for the final stretch of the game, but it's pretty funny that the main story is all "We are on a strict time limit" but then you have to do this side mission that's just "We have to grind levels for this character"
- All of the characters who join in the main story missions going with you to the final story mission, including... L, for some reason.
- That sequence where one of the main antagonists up to that point dies but it's handled so poorly I didn't realize she actually died for two more story missions.
- That scene with a lot of dialogue where they have this song playing in the background:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClXevG1RkN8

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Hi guys it's me, the person that hasn't finished Xenoblade 2 yet even though i've been working on it for 2 years. I am in Chapter 6. The quest log says to go through Theospiti Temple Ruin and then from there I see on the compass to go downwards, but I have no idea where or the general direction to go as you're leaving Theospiti Temple Ruin. I have been going around in circles trying to find a way to the bottom of this ice canyon and I think I am just stupid. I could really use help. :v:

IIRC there's a place where you have to use a Fire Field Skill to knock down some Ice Pillars to create a bridge.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

i never bothered to try the follow ball because i didn't think they were capable of making a decent pathfinder

was it actually good

I remember I used it one time and it sent me half way around the continent because it didn't understand that you can just jump down cliffs.

I wonder if it was useful for the stealth missions? Like that one mandatory one you where you have to sneak past all the turrets that will instantly vaporize you if you get in their range?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Scrap Dragon posted:

Is it like banking experience or artificially capping your level or what?

In Xenoblade you get experience for doing basically everything, so some folks must have felt like it was too easy to become overleveled. It appears that Expert mode changes that so you only get experience from defeating enemies, and puts all the rest you'd be getting in a pool that you can distribute later at your discretion.

NLJP posted:

Anyone know how it looks on switch lite?

It's, as I understand it, Not Great In Undocked:

It apparently uses a dynamic resolution, so it can vary from "Kind of ok" to "hey remember Xenoblade New 3DS?"

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

has someone put together a list of "must do" quests for obviously important things like skill trees?

IIRC the skill tree stuff is locked behind town affinity and those just require you to do a ton of quests in each town.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I don't remember Black Liver Beans? I do remember Rainbow Slugs though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Future Connected is cute so far, by some miracle the Nopon party members aren't annoying as hell. It's been a minute since I played the Wii version, and I haven't touched the DE main game so I wouldn't know if this is a change made there, but it seems to be pretty generous with marking stuff on your map that you haven't discovered yet. The Ether Crystals seem to recharge pretty quickly, so you're swimming in Gems with very little effort.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Terper posted:

If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things..... Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing.... It's just the function that people are associating with the character, and there's no shortage of that. We made sure that all proper playstyles can be represented with our current roster.

Me, explaining when Nene is just as good as Reyn

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit: Eryth Sea isn’t great, but Alcamoth is amazing.

Eryth Sea is awful to navigate, but its unique weather effect is amazing.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also it’s BS that they gated the second-to-last Ponspector behind a high level unique monster who has friends that fight with him, but it was nice of them to put a waypoint right outside the room. I’ll have to come back later when I’m closer to lv 80 I guess.

You can aggro the front two enemies with Lure, defeat them, then aggro the Unique Monster Target with Lure without triggering the big bad in that room. Normally I wouldn't just tell you what to do, but I feel like most people forget that Lure exists?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Doc V posted:

Yeah, you can just pull the quest target away from the boss and kill it on it's own, which is probably a good idea even if you plan on fighting the boss because the boss is pretty terrifying even on its own. That said, it's kind of a puzzle boss and becomes way easier once you figure out how to deal with it's gimmick.

Now the final boss of the Ponspector questline on the other hand, that thing took me like eight tries after I figured out the trick to it. Still beat it at only level 76 :toot:

I'm not ashamed to say I dropped it down to casual for that battle, because I had at that point exhausted the rest of the content available in Future Connected and kept getting wrecked anyway, and it just didn't seem like a productive use of my time.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

What does casual mode do in terms of easing the game up?

I only used it for that one battle, but it seemed to double the amount of damage I was doing and halve the amount of damage the boss was. It also seemed to make it easier to perform Union Strike chains (Future Connected's version of Chain Attacks), but that may have been because casual mode makes it easier to gain tension or morale or whatever?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

If you buy Art manuals from Time Attack mode, does it unlock all levels for that Art, or do you still have to get the second and third level manuals first?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I beat the most difficult enemy in Future Connected, I have a couple final questions before I am finished with this game:

Can I do anything with the dried golden mushroom I picked up at the end?

Also, I’m missing the bottom right item in the collectopedia for the Shoulder, what is it and how do I get it? I’m also missing a couple items from Alcamoth I’ll probably just have to run around to get those. I assume the costume pieces carry over into the main game, yeah? Some of the armor is cool looking.

Edit: of course I found that collectopedia item right after I posted this lol

Yes, the costumes that Shulk and Melia unlock in FC carry over to the main game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

CaptainPsyko posted:

RIKI FEEL STUPID.

It took me an hour and bumping it down to casual mode to get that outfit :negative:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Melia seems pretty good albeit kinda boring to control. How does the AI handle her?

It tends to summon three different elements and occasionally discharge the last one summoned, which is perhaps less efficient than, say, summoning two Thunders and then cycling the third element, or tripling up on Flare and standing next to Dunban

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Holy poo poo that's a gamechanger, I never would have tried that. And I thought her damage was decent just discharging one element at a time.

So how many bonuses stack, and how many times do they stack? Can you stack all three elements at once and discharge them all at once? Or multiple of the same element? Does the stat bonus go up along with the discharge damage?

You can have three elementals active at any one time. Each elemental gives a 20% buff to the stat (except for Aqua's regen effect). You can only discharge one elemental at a time, and when an elemental is discharged you lose the 20% buff it was giving. You will always discharge the last elemental that was summoned.

So like if you Summon Bolt twice, Melia and those standing near her will have a 40% buff to their Ether stat. Then if you Summon Flare, Melia and those standing near her will get a 20% boost to their physical strength. When you Discharge, the 20% boost to Strength will go away. If you Discharge again, you'll dismiss one of her Bolt elementals, which will reduce her Ether buff to 20%.

Each time you Discharge an elemental, it boosts her Talent Gauge, and when the gauge is full she enters Elemental Burst mode. Elemental Burst doubles the damage she deals with her Discharges. So it'd be good to have two Summon Bolts active for a 40% boost to her Ether when she enters Elemental Burst mode so she can pile on the damage. (Also of note: Damage over time status effects, like the one Discharging a Summon Flare inflicts on enemies, deal damage based on the initial hit - so if Melia has two Summon Bolts active for a 40% ether boost, and is in Elemental Burst mode to double her Ether damage output, Discharging Summon Flare is going to be painful for enemies)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Zarfol posted:

So I’m playing future connected first, Where you get Shulk, Melia, and essentially sharla and Reyn (so far - I’m like 2 hours in and you get those characters after 5 minutes anyway). Since Sharla sucks, id pretty much have to control Melia for me not to be terrible right?

So I just Summon Bolt, summon copy, to get +40% to magic damage, then cycle through earth, fire, and ice to do damage?

Shulk is perfectly viable as your player character in Future Connected, and none of the possible party combinations are terrible (although I suppose Melia/Nene/Kino is gonna be a bit of a slog). But yes that's the more or less straightforward way to play Melia. (Don't sleep on Summon Wind though, stacking that three times can make your life way easier when going up against slightly stronger enemies)

CaptainPsyko posted:

You arguably get more xp total, since you can (and should) delevel yourself occasionally if you find yourself outpacing the zone, but since you can just apply or remove it as needed, that’s fine.

It’s especially nice, when you come across a dumb named unique 10 levels above the area, to bump yourself up and take it out so you don’t have to come back later, then level back down to the norm for the area.

It's also nice to be able to lower your level down so you actually aggro those loving fish in Eryth Sea

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

I've been enjoying being able to finally play XC1. Is it normal to just be completely and totally entertained by Xord? His VA sounds like he was having a blast.

Gameplay-wise, I'm under the impression that Shulk/Reyn/Dunban is the best party I could go with at the moment. Is there a particular way I should be building the latter two? Right now I'm doing the skill tree that heals on chain links for Shulk.

I think one of Reyn's skill trees boosts the amount of AP you get from battles? That's useful.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Eat poo poo Alcamoth

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

What build/skills should I be using with Riki? I slotted him with a bunch of Strength gems and his Riki Sneaky and Bitey bleed attack seem to do decent damage, but everything else in his arsenal feels weak currently. Also I totally misread his heal skill as healing based on number of debuffs on enemy instead of target party member.

All his damage over time Arts (Bitey Bitey, Lurgy, Freezinate, and Burninate): They may seem weak individually, but slapping an enemy with all four damage over time debuffs adds up. You could also try popping Hero Time before launching any of his DoT arts and hope it buffs the relevant damage stat.

Roly Poly for Topple/Bind, Behave for Paralysis, and Bedtime for Sleep (only if you're planning on playing Riki, have kitted him out with Sleep Resist Gems, or have Sharla in the party to immediately wake him up with Cure Bullet): These moves can help you get some breathing room, whether you're facing a crowd of enemies, or just want to try and keep one target locked much as possible.

You Can Do It for healing, and I personally like Happy Happy and Sneaky for Party Gauge buffery.

As for Skills: I feel like his Innocence and Vivacity trees are good places to start. For skill links, he probably wants whatever ether boosting arts he can get his hands on to boost his damage output with Lurgy/Freezinate/Burninate and healing capabilities with You Can Do It.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Zarfol posted:

Ok so I just finished Future Connected and I gotta say, it’s pretty bad. Maybe it’s a tie in to the next game, but the last boss fight and the boss before that were ridiculous (get one shot or toppled for like 10 seconds, with extremely limited warnings and no visions, what the gently caress). Turned it down to casual mode to stomp them.... and then nothing was really explained? I was looking for some explanation on what the rift was, more on the telethia, etc... Maybe i just missed it.

Overall, game took me about 7 hours.

I don't think the Telethia needed more explanation, we already know what they are and why they are and that Teelan is working on a way to reverse the process. But yeah, The Rift and the Fog King just sort of being there and the actual antagonist character being disposed of in a non-voiced side quest is really not great.

But I guess the story isn't really "about" the Fog King, it's about Melia growing into her role as the ruler of the High Entia (which, I mean, maybe they could have used a less mysterious enemy in that case and dropped The Rift stuff entirely?)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Bluff Buster posted:

I don't know anything about the Future Connected content except that it's not about Dunban, Dickson and Mumkhar going on an adventure around the Bionis tearing up Mechons. Am I going to be disappointed?

It probably depends on what you want. If you're happy with a new Monolith Soft map to explore then you'll probably enjoy it. If you're looking for something more? That's a different story altogether.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Challenge Quests are good because they point you to Unique/Named Monsters, which give you Affinity Coins or whatever they're called that let you link Skills between party members.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Started on Xenoblade X a few days ago, this is a much slower paced game than Xenoblade 1 & 2, and Tatsu isn't an interesting or good character despite being a nopon. That said, I love the gigantic open world much more compared to the other Xenoblade games. The whole thing feels like an MMORPG, especially since you are always connected to the internet, you get messages of what other players are doing, and you can recruit A.I. versions of other players into your party. This game appears to have a cult following as well as people are still actually playing it online. It'll suck when all of this eventually shuts down (Nintendo started slowly sunsetting online features for the Wii U about a year ago) because quite a few features of XBX will no longer be available.

I like the online feature of being able to pop on and help other folks out by doing Squad Tasks.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

In other news gently caress enemies with spike. I wish purge lasted longer. I know I can make gems to deal with it but god drat it's such a faff. It's annoying that the one ability made to deal with the thing is just so short duration.

Dunban has a skill on his trees that reduces Spike damage by 20%, but it's expensive to link.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Can anybody give me tips for Melia's Restricted Time Attack? ("Oh, brother"). I've tried it several times and I either don't do it fast enough (apparently?), getting a B rank in time, or the party gets overwhelmed and killed.

It's ironic because Melia, Dunban, Riki is my favorite party composition but we're just not making it happen.

A lot of the Restricted Time Attacks seem to come down to luck, I tore through that one with an S rank on my first try compared to the embarrassing number of attempts Dunban and Riki's took. When Wave 2 starts, I think I summoned two Thunders and a Flare, then tossed out Shadow Stitch and Discharge Flare when the enemies started to clump up together.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It wasn't just a drought on the Wii, it was a drought of console JRPGs in general. As many developers scaled back by jumping to the PSP and DS, or scaled back in the way that HD development required, Xenoblade slammed down these massive environments with honest to god exploration.

...but then Skyrim came out like a year later and The Decade Of Open World Crafting happened.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not sure how much of the Shoulder was in the original game files, but there were a lot of spots in Future Connected that felt like they were designed with, say, Breath of the Wild or Xenoblade X traversal mechanics in mind.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Future Connected is great although the Quiet Moments between the two Nopon are almost insufferable. Nene will make a good Heropon one day though.

The one where Kino wanted Wasabi was just... it was a little much.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Is it possible to get Upper Bionis to 5 star affinity before Mechonis Core? It feels like it should be, but it's been sitting at 4 stars for a while now, even after doing a "talk to all the green dots to update the affinity chart" and whatnot.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Polderjoch posted:

I was able to get Upper Bionis to 5 stars before even getting to Valak Mountain, so yes it should definitely be possible.
Just make sure you talk to every green dot twice, and be aware that every NPC has at least 4 different dialogues, in 2 sets of 2, for different times they're active.

Urgh apparently this ended up being it. What a good feature.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Happy belated Father's Day to the only good video game dad

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Per the Zelda thread like a year ago, they were hiring up staff for work on the Zelda game explicitly based on open job listings at the time

They were (are, I guess) hiring for three separate teams: One that seems to be explicitly for their Xenoblade brand, one was for seemingly a new action game property that had fantasy concept art, and one was for the next Zelda game, which I assume is BotW2, but who knows.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Francis posted:

Torna is better without XB2 because XB2 sets certain expectations of what happens during Torna that Torna doesn't deliver on,

I don't know if I agree with the first part of this statement, but I'll admit it was wild seeing Azurda and Mythra's actual relationship during the Aegis War compared to what's implied by their conversations in Xenoblade 2. It reminds me a lot of how Lufia 2 played out versus what was implied by the intro of Lufia 1.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

Well I beat XBC1 and Future Connected, and that gave me the motivation to pick up XBC2 again. (after getting Zeke, cramming core crystals down his throat up to his cap, and getting only generic blades killed my drive for it)

Few notes:

1) Who the hell thought putting fast travel on X was a good idea. Every time I want to do some menuing I end up having to back out of that and waiting before the game accepts the next menu.

It was probably the same person who thought up the "pressing the d-pad slaps a giant controls overlay across the screen" thing

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Monosoft's character models continue to improve. World design looks good as per usual. Looks like you have four party members at a time, so I'm guessing characters will be a lot less specialized than they were in 1.

Also I hope there's fashion gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

If there’s four characters in your party then that nixes blades, right? I can’t imagine the switch handling eight party members + enemies.

A couple of the main characters appear to have core crystals, so conceptually they're there, and I feel like from a gameplay perspective if they are there they won't be like they were in 2 where they just stand two feet behind their Driver at all times.