Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Terper posted:

Glad that the Melia/Nia expy is looking like the main love interest, happy for you girl and I don't even know you
and regular Nia looks to be one of the villains

this is almost certainly her wearing a mask - there were a couple other flesh eaters in the trailer but the outfit looks very similar & the core crystal shape is the same

anyways im VERY EXCITED because XB2 is one of my favorite RPGs of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

its me, im the one person who likes XB2's gacha system

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Nyoro posted:

On the contrary, don't Flesh Eater Blades age normally?

They definitely lose immortality.

In the trailer, Nia looks a bit older to me but maybe it's just confirmation bias
not exactly.
Minoth was an example of one where the process was botched, and he's still alive 500 years later. Jin became one around the same time, but he did it right, and he looks basically identical. They still live for a long, long rear end time, but they only get that one life. A regular blade lives for hundreds to thousands of years before maturing into a titan, but they effectively live several dozen different lives. ...Basically, they age, but only as much as the plot needs them to.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

No keep XC1s combat as far away from 3 as possible

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

The gacha system is largely fine for normal play and only really gets bad if you want to 100% the game (don't 100% the game) or are really attached to a certain blade. You can't really get screwed because it's perfectly viable to complete the main game and even a fair bit of post game stuff with just the story blades. I do agree that common blades probably shouldn't exist because they are boring, even if mechanically they can be better than a lot of the rare blades.

i liked the gacha for normal play specifically because it was fun getting cool (if bad) blades early on. Like, I think Perun's character design is cool, but I would've never used her had she not been one of the first blades I came across.
Or, alternatively, getting Zenobia early on in another playthrough meant I was constantly searching out and challenging the assorted minibosses as early as possible, instead of avoiding them.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

glassyalabolas posted:

The Nintendo UK website has more deets about XBC3.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-games/Xenoblade-Chronicles-3-2168340.html

Seems to be 6 characters only. RIP Zeke and Poppy 2.0
not(?)Vandham featured prominently in the trailer and isn't listed here, so they're almost certainly not mentioning every main character. Don't write off The Zekenator just yet.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Field skills are fine, but they ideally should've been calculated from all of the blades you have, not just who's equipped. (maybe with the requirements changed around to "you need a blade that's at least this level" rather than "you need enough blades to reach this level")

Because there's nothing fun about having to swap in 6+ blades to beat the required skill check only to immediately unswap them. If I can swap them freely then forcing them to be in the active party is just pointless busywork.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Shyfted One posted:

Maybe if they explored more of his previous life.

It makes more sense if I think of Jin being the main character of Torna. He doesn't show Loras the diary detailing his previous lives when he finds it, so it's likely Jin was already kinda done with being tied to a human in a previous life even if that wasn't our experience in the game at that point, but I feel like there could have been some more explained/foreshadowed because it's a quick jump from Loras is my favorite person to I guess I'll eat her and live my best life.
I'm not sure how the hell you got that reading out of the situation, but okay.

He doesn't show her the book because the idea of "I knew these people, I loved these people, and now I don't even know who they are" is freaking him out, and he doesn't want to bring it up to Lora because he loves her the same way, and admitting that he found the book is like admitting that he'll forget Lora one day too.

And at the end, she's mortally injured and surrounded by enemies, and no one will be alive to mourn her. At best, Jin will be taken by the very people who killed her and used as a weapon. At worst, they'll use him as ingredients to make more things like Gort. Jin can't save her, but if he becomes a Flesh Eater... he can get revenge and, crucially, keep her memory alive.

e: beaten while typing this, rip

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You can adjust your levels down to match the area, the exp you get becomes bonus exp you can trade for rare items.
note that if you did any postgame farming, you'll need to downgrade your blades' core chips as well. the Tachyon chip basically makes you one-shot everything with a pulse for a good while

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

OhFunny posted:

I am really enjoying the gameplay of XC2 and I'd like to thank the goons who effort posted about it so much. Chapters 1&2 were pretty slow, but now that I have a full party here in Chapter 3 and am using pouch items and some good accessories the combat feels great with abilities recharging so fast. Everything has clicked for me in a way that it never really did for XCDE.

I guess the only "problem" is I feel so far above the intended power curve none of the recent boss fights or unique enemies feel very threatening. I haven't even pulled any additional Blades.

Also the fight to teach you how to break and topple didn't seem to account for the fact I didn't have anchor shot equiped. That was a little annoying.
the real lesson of that tutorial was "you should always have anchor shot equipped because its incredibly useful"

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

is it just me, or do the two ouroboros on the right remind you of some of the generic blades from 2?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Tae posted:

XB2 had a system way too late introduced which is cancelling arts into arts
can't you unlock this by like, mor ardain? It's only in the second tier of Rex's chart

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing more of the Torna DLC, since I never came close to finishing it the first time around.

Even with the stream-lining (which is good and I get the impression XBC3 might do something similar, where you have 3 pairs and control one, where you can swap between them), one issue I notice in this (that also applied to the main game) is that the actual mechanics rarely come into play during the vast majority of overworld fights you get into. I was trying to re-acquaint myself with the mechanics, and most things die long before you can actually put together any combos (either driver combos or combos with the ultimate attacks).

Works better for boss fights, since the fight continues long enough for you to actually swap between characters more than twice.
Honestly I didn't have much of a problem with this in the base game (both because my team wasn't optimized at all and because there's more Strong Monsters for you to trip over constantly) but it's one of my major beefs with Torna. Even the mini-bosses died before I could do anything. That one quest that requires you to do fusion combos was way harder than it needed to be, simply because the majority of the enemies were made of paper.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I hope they at least balance XBC3 around more frequent regular skill use. While the big orb combos in XBC2 are fun when you succeed in doing them, you get almost no opportunity to do them during the main scenario. It'd be good if a larger portion of your damage came from more "regular" play. You can still give access to wild combos for harder encounters, but in XBC2 it seemed to always boil down to "geneerate orbs as quickly as possible and center your chips/equipment around maximizing the effect of those combos."
The most memorable moment re: orb combos for me will always be the one time that I accidentally did a boss wrong, but with such sheer brute force that I destroyed its entire health bar anyways

You see this thing? This thing has half a million health, and regens it at a rate of 25% every two seconds. You're supposed to defeat it by taking out its power supply. I didn't realize you were supposed to do that!! But hey, when you can get a big enough combo chain going, you can just blast through that entire health bar all at once!!!! Who needs gimmicks when you have overwhelming firepower?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Junpei posted:

So during that scene where Ethel is saying "You monsters", I noticed that while the 6 core party members are given weird black shadow overlays with red eyes, Riku and Manana are not.
people don't need to be brainwashed into attacking nopon, they'll do that of their own free will

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

the only english VA I dont like is patroka, everyone else is great

special mention, of course, goes to

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

WarpDogs posted:

One of my favorite traits of Xenoblade is how utterly earnest it can be

Yeah, all weapons are blades, even shields, and yes, even famous legendary shields like the Aegis, because it's called Xenoblade, not Xenoshield!!

There's a bluntness to the writing that pairs so beautifully with the layers of religious themes and philosophy. My favorite is Logos / Malos whose actual name is a direct reference to the Holy Trinity and Jesus Christ in particular, while their alias name is just straight up latin for "bad". I love it so god drat much!!

Xenoblade rules so hard
It rules extremely hard

also i love how the in-universe reveal for that name is literally "Yeah, the names Logos/Ontos/Pneuma don't actually mean anything, we just really really wanted our supercomputer programs to sound cool."

U-DO Burger posted:

Xenogears used a lot of Gnostic metaphors fairly competently, but it also featured the Elements who were named after types of angels for no real reason
The Xeno- series follows the NGE method of gratuitous religious metaphors, ie: "thrown in because it seems cool and foreign"

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Eopia posted:

DE had some trickery you could do with the leveling system to farm affinity super easily with weak enemies that couldn't kill you but were too high level for you to actually hit, so you'd constantly proc the affinity qte things. I think in 2 you can create love sources but I don't know if that's actually faster than grinding it out if you can.
You don't really need love sources unless you're the kind of insane person who goes for 100% completion (don't do this), but once you can make them they're generally faster than any other method, even when you can only make one at a time

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Hahahahaha I got 100% affinity with every single Blade except one. T-elos? One of her nodes requires you to jump some nutty number of times, sitting there mashing B like an idiot to get one node was where I drew the line.

I don't suggest anybody else do this unless you're crazy or you really really love the game. Thankfully, both things applied to me!
i didnt 100% things but i did get T-elos to S-rank because
A: it counts every jump you've made retroactively, and i had a habit of bunnyhopping when bored
B: there's a little overhanging roof somewhere in torigoth with just enough clearance that you can walk under it and still jump, but not actually have to wait to fall back down. It took like, a third the time it would if you were jumping normally

I think one of the last ones I did before giving up was dagas, simply because I did like, 90% of it, did his quest, then realized that his quest resets his entire chart back to square one. gently caress you, dagas!!! :argh:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

Switching which character you're controlling at any moment... it took them until the fifth game but they finally did it. Only healers being able to revive fallen allies in combat feels like an interesting choice. Between the Quick Step, Tanks having Aggro Zones for allies to take refuge in, and the other Field/Zone Arts we've seen it seems like positioning is gonna be more important than ever.
oh no, my one weakness

(sometimes i simply cannot be arsed to walk around bigger monsters to stab them in the butt for +10% damage)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The easy mode for Tiger Tiger makes it fine. You do have to play specific levels for specific parts, though.

Don’t forget about that entire dungeon where Poppi is the only Blade capable of doing Combos above lv 1. Somehow that never occurred to me (even though they literally say it in the cutscenes) and I just suffered through it!
Easy Mode in this case meaning "you dont instantly die if you touch a wall", it's still annoying and tedious

mercifully the final level that you want to replay for the unique equipment is, IMO, the least painful

RuBisCO posted:

I knew about it and still never used Poppi because gently caress Tora
Tora is a good boy. :colbert:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Sudden Javelin posted:

There's a very easily missed bit of NPC dialogue in Frontier Village where a Nopon states they talk like idiots on purpose to make people lower their guard which I always liked
the fact that they're a race of mascot-people who purposefully talk like cutesy mascots to try and hide the fact that 9/10ths of them are bastards is very funny to me

also im slightly biased but i like tora more than riki, if only because tora tends to talk about whats going on around him, rather than going "oooh, hom homs, riki is sooo hungrryyy" all the time

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

im starting to think that the 7th party member in XB1 might just be a teensy bit ridiculously strong and overpowered as far as main game content goes

yes i WOULD like to crit 20 times in the first ~30 seconds of battle, thank you for asking

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

me: "hm, I've maxed all of shulk's skill trees. I should probably unlock the 4th one ASAP so i don't waste a bunch of SP, since that's annoying to farm. It shouldn't take too long to get Colony 9's affinity high enough to unlock that quest, right? I was able to max out the last village easily"

XB1: "hahahahahahaha"

i have done thirty six quests for these people, and i'm only at 2/5 stars. Shulk, how much of a shitbag neighbor were you before the game started??

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

nia is the worst driver because then you can't use her as a blade, which is much more fun

to counterbalance this, they gave her the best mid-battle animations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-s3ul_N0j0

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Alxprit posted:

Things that annoyed me about that reveal: When using Nia as a blade she didn't get any spillover EXP or AP or anything like that, which desynced my entire party, a crime I simply cannot forgive
IIRC its converted into bonus exp, just go take a nap at an inn

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

finally finished XB1 (with the exception of future connected & postgame shenanigans)

my final thoughts are that its good and has a lot of fun moments but XB2 is overall better, especially where emotional moments are concerned

also my final final thoughts are that fiora's epilogue hairstyle is cute but her being a cool cyborg was cuter

can't wait to see how shulk's decision at the end was partially responsible for the world of XB3 getting bent over and hosed

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

question for the thread: what's the best way to play xenoblade x

is it "hunt down a wii u and homebrew it" or is it ":filez:"

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

XCX isn't a game you use the tablet screen for that much, really only when you mess with FrontierNav so you don't lose much compared to a lot of games and it's easy enough to plonk it on a second screen just for the map or whatever.

Or you can do stupid poo poo like using Spacedesk to mirror the tablet window on an Android phone/tablet
i knew an artist who had a cintiq tablet that they used as a touch screen for DS/3DS emulation

sadly $650+ is a bit pricey for anyone who doesn't literally use one as part of their job, but it's great if you already have one

anyways, it's good to know that the tablet isn't exactly essential to the experience, even if it might be nice to have.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i am pleased to report that this game looks rad as hell, as is the trend with this series

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Omobono posted:

Gormotti crashed in the Gaur Plains right?
Or are we going to have two Rotbarts around in different zones?

We're totally getting a sidequest involving the feud between the two families aren't we :v:
I want the territorial rotbarts to fight each other over territory

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

glassyalabolas posted:

Falling in line with Nintendo Japan, Nintendo Europe is showing the XBC3 Collector's Edition is shipping later.

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/en_gb/xenoblade-chronicles-3-collectors-edition.html

Safe to assume Nintendo America will be the same.
i'm fine with this, as I'd be unable to prevent myself looking into the artbook and accidentally spoiling myself

that said, nintendo, let me pre-order it already

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

CEMU actually seems like it automatically picks up all the mods, so you only really need to download the game* (which you then unzip and just stick into whatever folder you want CEMU to use for games) + the emulator. I also downloaded some graphics settings file, but this appears to have been unnecessary, since CEMU told me it was out of date and proceeded to download the up-to-date version. It was easier than I expected, since I remember having a much harder time getting Wii emulation to work some years back (this was partly because I went through the trouble of getting the wiimotes to work with the PC using bluetooth, but I also had lots of weird graphical issues when trying to play Skyward Sword).

There was one part that wasn't self-explanatory through the emulator - installing the Update/DLC files. The explanation from the website (which is also the one with the download so not directly linking) says this: "Steps are Same for DLC/Update files, after installing the game, install DLC/Update using Cemu/File/Install Game Update or DLC option, then load the meta.xml file from DLC/Update meta folder." (each of the directories you download for the DLC/Updates contain a meta.xml which is what you load in CEMU)

edit: While looking into this I saw a "USB helper" mentioned a lot, but it appears to not be necessary? Maybe that's necessary to actually connect to the internet while playing or something? I'd be curious if someone else knows what's up with this.

* the one I used is the third down when you google "xenoblade x rom"; first I tried the one linked here ( https://r-roms.github.io/ ) which consists of much bigger files for some reason (maybe just less compressed) but the download kept failing
the other thing that should be made clear re: emulation is that the DLC for xenoblade x isn't DLC, it's intended to basically put the majority of the game on the hard drive to deal with pop-in issues that are prevalent if you're running the game off the disc

which isn't a problem when emulated, because the whole thing is already on the hard drive

there was DLC for the japanese version, but it was bundled into the main game in the international release

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Manoueverable posted:

If you think that skill alone makes Seven absurd, put a high-level Haste gem on their weapon to turn them into even more of a murder-blender.
Seven is unique in that you can just buy several very good pieces of armor with Haste already on them almost immediately, freeing up a weapon slot. Granted, the final version of said armor maxes out at 45% instead of 50%, but that 5% difference is well worth a gem slot. Especially given they have an aura that makes them go even faster.

Or to put it another way:

(source)

OhFunny posted:

Hmmm Maktha. Makna Forest + Land of Morytha

Edit: Same thing in Japanese, but switched starting and ending half. So that's definitely intentional.
:psyboom:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

That's good to know, since the camp crafting stuff was much better than the equivalent of having to constantly visit/check different shops in XB2.
Camp crafting was fine when it was the permanent upgrade things, but I hated that it was the only source of pouch items in Torna. I can't think of a single time where "craftable item that you have to spend forever tracking down ingredients for" was ever better than "the poo poo you buy at a shop occasionally"

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i now understand the complaints re: Xenoblade X's sound mixing. Sawano your music is cool but I'm trying to listen to Elma be a badass, stop hogging all the limelight!!!

I legitimately can't believe that for a game released in 2015, there's no volume sliders option. :psyduck: (thankfully, there are mods out there to fix this!)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

just got tatsu as a party member and my initial impression is that he's terrible and i love him for it. 10/10, would let Lin make him into soup. :allears:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

Local jrpg party entirely composed of attackers
as god intended

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i thought XB2's voice direction was fine, assuming you ignore like, half of the Blade Quests

:rip: Perun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

why would they have such a hard limit on pre-orders for such a big franchise. just print more books dude youve got until fall!!! maybe you can have an extra-special edition where it ships in the winter, i dont know!!! what the gently caress

...:negative:

edit: wait, its 2 per nintendo account but its not actually letting me log in. is that the loving problem???