Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Picked this game up last week. drat, its a lot of fun. Also holy poo poo, there's a ton of weird systems and mechanics. I'm 20 hours in and I just discovered meal sets. I haven't crafted a single item because :effort: and now every time I go shopping at the market I get like 5 new sidequests so I can be friends(???) with the shopkeepers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Kanos posted:

Crafting is a nightmare rabbit hole. You never have to interact with it unless you care about really minmaxing the gently caress out of your gear to do max difficulty optional content stuff, and if you do interact with it you're looking at hours and hours of time investment to grind money to afford materials and to collect elemental ingredients from missions in the wilds. Stay away from it until you're quite late in the game if you're interested, because starting in on it is easier once you're completely established.

That's fine - I tend to lose interest once I get to post-game content unless its something really extraordinary. I'm happy just plopping mastery sets on my dudes and pressing spacebar a bunch whenever poo poo gets really anime. (although the writing is pretty decent! I was kinda worried it was gonna turn into some harem stuff).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Question: does the property limit for masteries increase with levels or is it fixed? And related, I'm guessing that the support abilities that increase property limit and mastery slots are pretty important?

E: Irene's lone hero gimmick is a really neat mechanic that I haven't seen in any other tactics games. I'm having a lot of fun stacking everything that reduces AT/increases speed/restores AP. It's cool as gently caress sending her on kamikaze missions, although I feel a little guilty ever since Sion guilt-tripped me about sending her into the blender. Also not super optimal because Irene runs into a brick wall if she encounters a group with multiple enemies she can't one-shot.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 18, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm partial to super tanky battlemage irene. i have other characters who can sweep through normal enemies with unlimited turns or reactive attacks. irene is the one who gets up in a boss' face and doesn't die, then fucks them up with a heavily buffed attack that ignores block. it took me a while to understand the point of all that concentrated magic power stuff, but it's just a bunch of mastery sets that make you gain stacks of a buff for doing pretty much anything. then you consume the buff on a single attack, which can still be irene's aoe to wipe out a crowd. but it doesn't work with catharsis/1s1k at all.

That sounds great. I've been hesitant to dig into that class so far because I'm relatively early(I think?) in the game, so I only have Albus and Irene for melee and they need to cover a lot of ground to keep mobs from getting to the back line of Heixing, Sion and Anne. Although Albus' version of this is basically "run into melee and never take a turn again because he's busy countering every single melee unit on the map".

I guess I could respec Sion into melee but his damage is absolutely ridiculous, plus his fall attack and overcharge let me nuke anything regardless of how much cover it has. In general, I'm really digging how you can go all in on a gimmick and become completely overpowered.

ZearothK posted:

Yes and yes!

Solo Irene can be pretty darn powerful and one of the characters that can achieve zero AT turns. Though I also love sending in Alisa solo, going berserk and just watching her kill everything.

Thanks!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So uh, is there a trick to dealing with the spiderweb effect? My frontline got pasted by those web slinging drones, so I burnt most of my spare masteries giving the whole team spiderweb stunts which does... nothing.

Really kinda bummed, I thought it was the game telling me to make custom builds for different opponents. I guess not?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, my issue isn’t damage dealing or accuracy (Albus, Ray, Heixing and Sion are all doing a decent job on that front), more that the frontline is doomed to stand in one spot slowly having their hp chipped away. Albus has a ton of dodge but it’s basically a death sentence once he gets webbed. Wind walk is a good point though, that might save him.

To be clear it’s drones, not spiders. So ranged web attacks.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 20, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Nephthys posted:

You can clear it with Anne I believe. Ashuram again made a good build centered around taking a ton of low AT turns with White Mage Anne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqfkoIStMu4&t=1325s

Oh hell yeah, that looks neat. I'll check it out

Also I finally beat the mission, crawling slowly forwards and just relying on ranged attacks. Turns out it was real hard because I had forgotten that I had my main tank wearing a crappy skinning set :v:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So I totally ignored bleeding because DOT's seemed totally useless when stuff like one shot one kill exists.

I just realized Bloodbath is a thing. Holy gently caress, this changes everything.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Black mage Sion's usefulness depends almost entirely on his postioning because most of his spells don't have great range. I think it's nice to be able to send him into the frontlines, his unlimited power isn't any good if he's jammed up in tight quarters or lagging behind zippy characters like Albus and Irene. It's still only a secondary build that I mess around with if I'm having trouble with a particular mission though.

Smiling Knight posted:

You might want to check out Heixing’s masteries for Blood Red Bullet as well.

Trip report: Bloodbath and Blood Red Bullet are amazing, but only when the cards line up just right. I think I need to tool around with Albus' build so he can reliably hit twice in a turn or rely on Ray's grenade trick as was mentioned.

It's also yet another really cool build that doesn't work against my nemesis, robots.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Not sure if this is news to the thread but I thought it was interesting:

Next level classes :getin:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Weissritter posted:

Finally decided to play through this in my backlog - really loving it so far though John the Immortal felt kind of bullshit without having any buff clearing in my team at that moment.

Question though - for some reason I have not unlocked any mastery sets on Anne yet - do I get it later, or any specific missions/drops for her?

90% of the masteries are meant to be found through trial and error. The remaining ones are rewarded after story beats or come pre-discovered with characters. For the point you're at in the game, you can probably discover quite a few.

Look at the four dots beside undiscovered mastery sets. The dots are coloured according to the type of mastery (attack is red, basic is green ability is yellow and so on). If you mouseover them, it will say if its a mastery you currently have or a mastery you can craft. The light grey dots are masteries you haven't encountered yet. Any masteries you already have equipped and are part of an undiscovered set show up as gold.

It's actually pretty easy to figure out what's missing from a mastery set if you already have a couple of them - usually masteries that share similiar mechanics or those that fit thematically.

This is fun for a little bit. The moment it stops being fun, google it instead.

E: these dots below. I just re-read everything I typed and it didn't make any sense. Maybe just look up a guide :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It kinda baffles me that Troubleshooter is as fun it is. If someone were to pitch X-Com but anime with collectable abilities, multiple crafting systems, relationship meters and half a dozen other complex mechanics, I would say that it was a terrible, terrible idea and to throw it in the trash. Somehow it manages to be more than the sum of its parts

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The latest patch adds a mastery that gives immunity to spiderwebs for the like 3 missions where they are a serious problem.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lmao those Irene costumes. Never change Hero Irene, never change…

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’m imagining they did some focus group testing for costumes but half the participants were under the impression it was for a dating sim.

That basically describes anything anime though, I dunno man. The game is p wholesome or I wouldn’t have put so many hours into it

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Nephthys posted:

I feel like I default to this a bit too much, but the best Martial Artist build I've seen is the one LifeofAshuram showed on his channel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5qXe-M440o

You'll need to have unlocked the masteries that give additional slots though, which can be a pain to get if you haven't done it yet.

Yeah this is probably the best I can think of although if you don't want to go fire, With Full Heart and Full Strength + everything that gives -AP and +Block will get you pretty far. I ended up respeccing Irene to fire later but it took a while before I had the masteries to do something close to Ashuram's build.

It also depends on how you play her. I usually send her on solo kamikaze missions. She tends to run into issues if there's too many machines/high block opponents but her block is so good that even if she doesn't kill half the map, she'll be holding their aggro long enough for the team to take care of most everything else.

E: Chang drops bleed immune wrist guards and they are basically BIS on Irene for half the game

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 24, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

IIRC it's Scent of the Past, the training thing at the academy and a rescue mission in the wilderness that involves Kylie.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

She continues to be a rather poo poo mentor though

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sandweed posted:

Honestly I'm more impressed the devs put her in a parka instead of in a skimpy outfit.

Her idle animation is pretty creepy tho

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's in the description!

E: I'm trying to think of any rpg mechanics that aren't included and realized there isn't any way to slot gem upgrades into weapons. Big oof, can't believe they missed that one

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 11, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Replaying the campaign before the dlc and drat, I forgot how much of a pain in the rear end machines are at the start. The party doesn't really have enough slots/TP for machine killer, so it's basically a one-man show of Sion dealing punch-through damage.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, Kylie is MVP on this current run. Even with just a 36% chance, she keeps on shutting them down, allowing Leyton and Irene burst them down.

Oh man, Kylie. I couldn't do poo poo with her at the start but I went all in on every hacker and scholar mastery and she now has godly block and hit. Base attack isn't great, but she gets overcharge after just 2 or 3 kills/protocols and it annihilates everything on my monitor, even violent bosses. Hacking robos is wonderful too, that and the drone divert basically all attacks. Still finishing off the first DLC though, so maybe she'll drop off later.

Her drone is kinda poo poo at combat but it survived 2 rounds of skull gang fire support and still took a hit or two from the bosses which is more than I can say for the rest of the party.

In general it's been kinda neat how every npc gets their turn to shine as they progress through the mastery board and new enemy types are introduced. Giselle is currently the star of the show as she reliably kills everything without impulse fields in one turn and gets three turns for every other party member so long as there's something to kill or proc fire support.

Previous star was Albus great swordsman for alpha striking hard targets but now he's struggling to get enough block shred to kill tanky mobs. Need to take another look at his masteries, he should probably be able to do that especially with his passive shred and 100% damage boost from bleed.

Currently sucking: Sion as I neglected gearing for speed so his AT delay doesn't let him go ham very often. Also Leton, kinda? I'm bad at positioning him in spots where he can tank and responsive attack all the dudes. Alisa is also a little too squishy.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 8, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Walh Hara posted:

Blade Phantom

I had to look this up and apparently I've been really unlucky with mastery drops for Enough Rest. Might take a trip back to 46v to get it, that set would synergize really well with the rest of Albus' kit. Would be nice to get him more consistent.

Sion's already got all those. Maybe I should just throw on a ton of +move gear so he doesn't get left in the dust? Ray+Giselle+Heixing tend to delete everything before it gets in range of his attacks and the rest of the team has aggressive mobility skills. Speaking of which, I just realized today that I already gave Leton 0 AP tumble so I think his mobility issue is solved.

E: yes, Sion's speed is on par with the team after some new kit but his move is 2 less :downs:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I have alternate veteran boards for melee characters but I only use them on maps that are really stun heavy. If my dudes can't survive one turn stunned, it's because they don't have enough teammates nearby with low AT. Getting overextended is death anyways. Plus it leaves an extra slot for mutant :getin:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Walh Hara posted:

In the meantime I also checked which other masteries I have a lot of times. I assume my top 2 is probably going to be the same for most people Veteran and Body Training.

Just realized that my most common mastery (apart from from 1s1k and catharsis) is recharge. On demand infinite vigor or overcharge attack has been clutch for getting the front-line out of trouble or deleting an inconvenient boss.

Also I just finished the violent crab mission. This was not easy because I repeatedly wasted Kylie and Giselle's detection abilities when there weren't actually any crabs nearby, and I had neglected to use my tanky mastery boards for everybody except Leton.

Thankfully my forestallment/counterstrike/self-healing lava tima annihilated half the crabs solo. I literally just parked him halfway across the map and took the group in the opposite direction. JFC, pets are slow but ridiculously powerful.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 19, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I liked what’s in it so far in terms of map design but it’s really early in the mission cycle, I think.

The new beasts aren’t explained very well. I had to replay their mission a couple times to figure out their gimmick and I still don’t really understand their offensive mimic.

Really want to level one with akimbo pistols, if that’s possible

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

She does get a little development later in the game but her primary role is to be a loveable dope to counterbalance all the characters who go way in the opposite direction and have complicated torturous pasts. Which is basically every single party member you get after her. And Sion, oddly.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The difficulty will pick up quite a bit if you follow the storyline. There's an uptick basically every time a new enemy type is introduced. And yes, you should absolutely turn your dudes into gods of death because the game will try to pull simililar overpowered bullshit. Its like reverse nu-Xcom in terms of difficulty

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I usually keep it at 8 because the game gets kinda slow when juggling the entire roster.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The level design and adjustable difficulty makes replaying missions a lot of fun but I prefer to save that for once I can get drones and beasts because it gives me a good chance to train them up simultaneously.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm a big fan of the cops, mostly because they are very good at putting bosses into AT hell with suppressing fire and frost grenades. They are good healbots on higher difficulties as well. Don't use them for killing stuff, really.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hell yeah, always good to see more people discovering this hidden gem. As folks have said somewhere above, if the start feels like it's dragging, mainline the story missions until you get a new party member or two. Adjustable difficulty means you can go back to earlier scenarios and still have a good challenge.

Apart from the total absence of marketing, I think Troubleshooter is in a weird spot because the anime styling means tactics/xcom enthusiasts don't notice it and superficially it doesn't look like an FFT/Fire Emblem sort of thing either.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Regardless, the art doesn't quite resemble the slew of jrpgs on steam. I'm sure somebody well versed in the genre will set the record straight though.

nil. posted:

But! The 14-year-old child soldier is not sexualized, and instead is adorable.

Agreed although her idle stance is frankly kinda weird. My girlfriend chooses the team's outfits and she always puts some pants on Anne

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 27, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

things i am excited for in troubleshooter 2:
1. might finally get playable model lady
2. playable hanson (i am not delusional)

Hanson is lowkey the best character in the game. Just a middle manager doing his best while dealing with a mid-life crisis :3:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Did they add a way to check what a monkey is currently mimicking?

Keeping track of what they are immune to/can use is impossible when there are a bunch on screen.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Clarste posted:

They already had that, actually. If you mouseover the red/green monkey icons above their selection plates it tells you what they're mimicking and how many charges they have left.

:aaa:

Welp, that's going to make things a lot easier. I actually kinda burned out on Troubleshooter after finishing the previous dlc mission but that will be nice when I inevitably return.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anne can use starlight prison.

Kind of an edge case but if you deplete their sp,Phoenix doesn’t work.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Exception being that one cutscene that has 3+ characters talking offscreen while the one on-screen is thinking out loud and it repeatedly jumps forwards and back in time. Translation isn't the problem there :v:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ZearothK posted:

The other is a Martial Artist who's a legit tank and packs a mean counter-attack. He's good enough to just stand there and beat up Destrons and is what I've been using during the DLC.

This is pretty similar to my Leton. It's kind of a niche use case but I leave him parked at a chokepoint or next to a Destron and he turns into a hell of a reaction tank. The dude has committed crab genocide while the rest of the group runs off somewhere else :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sion black mage is surprisingly good solo, so long as you can keep the pain train going.