Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes, I'm sure those statistics are absolutely accurate to the numbers WaPo presumably got from the police, who don't recortd the numbers of unarmed black people they murder.

With a little effort, I'm pretty sure I could find the names of ten black people murdered by the police in 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Who is shooting the cops though? Because a lot of this seems like tactics discussed by James Mason/SIEGE, William Pierce, and Atomwaffen Division for accelerating the decline of modern society. "Shoot cops during a peaceful protest to turn it into a massacre" is a tactic discussed by all three.

I think you just answered your own question, though. The militarisation of America's police is a response to the militarisation of American society in general. So long as there are all those assault rifles in circulation, disarming the cops is a pipe dream. You're literally talking about setting up the plot of Robocop - underequipped officers sent into a meat grinder of criminals with military grade weapons.

If you want to demilitarise the cops, you first have to institute gun control. And that ain't gonna happen, because both parties enjoy having that heavily armed police force way too much.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

If all the things that I didn't think would happen right now, construction on the Hinckley C reactor sleeve has begun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Wachter posted:

I did wonder what all the cranes were for

The first part of the sleeve weighs 170 tons and the crane shifting it is the tallest in the world, apparently. (I had a briefing with EDF today, they are very proud of it.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I think the first question I'd want to ask any Tory minister is "How do you sleep at night?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

I am very confused. A non-white north american person I have on facebook is arguing that the word 'bootlicker' is racist and somehow comes from a word used by confederates against blacks who took up arms for the union. I have never in my life ever heard this take before and I can't tell whether it's just liberal brainworms or if there's something to it in the NA context, but I don't particularly want to be the white guy arguing what is and isn't racist on social media.

In this case it's almost certainly Trumpist or Trump-adjacent motherfuckers trying to rewrite history on the word because they don't want to be called out for licking boots. It's the exact same process as the alt right coopting the OK gesture, except to convince people that they shouldn't be saying it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm in two minds about that. On the one hand LBC is a pile of unutterable horseshit that has hosted Farage for most of a decade (and continues to do so?).

On the other hand, actually speaking to the general public on one of the better-known platforms for engaging with politics, and providing a less right-wing voice than any they've had before, has a chance to do something non-poo poo if Keir does it right.

I'm not holding out any of the h-word, but I think on balance it's more likely to do more good than forensically getting brayed at at PMQs and getting COVID as a result.

LBC is dedicated to striking a balance between the two sides of political debate: frothing Nazis and right-of-centre-right liberals. They occasionally have good opinions, but they make up for it by regularly platforming the wrong people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

XMNN posted:

What's up with places that have two completely separate individual lockable rooms that insist on putting a male sign on one and a female sign on the other

Have you considered the possibility that it's so a man doesn't accidentally walk in on a woman in the toilet, or vice versa?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

justcola posted:

Danke shön zum Information bionic vapour boy, ratjaculation und Bobstar, sehr gut. Ich bin lernen langsam aber langsam besser schnell dann...nein lernen(?)

*breaks out limited German*

"nicht zu lernen", I think. I'd like correction too, so I would say "... aber es ist besser langsamer zu lernen dann schnell zu sein und nicht zu lernen".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Imagine a long sausage thing like a black pud, except it was made of a load of chocolate orange segments stacked like

and you pulled them off the end instead of cracking the orange.

So an orange flavour Toblerone?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Poor Freckles, thought of Antifa and died.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Do you know what the difference is between a garbanzo bean and a chickpea?

Nothing, I want to see them in a copper's face.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've seen a *lot* of people quoting Night Watch the last couple of days, and even if the overall story is pretty disheartening (Vimes doesn't actually change the world, Keel and the others are still dead at the end and Snapcase is every bit as much of a bastard as Winder), the underlying point that his direct action protected the people there and then, and the general Watch theme that the police are supposed to be protectors not enforcers, are at least a useful treatment for Centrist Brain.

What happened to that cyberpunk-y reboot series of Night Watch, anyway?

Delayed by the COVID, and I hope it doesn't resurface. They completely cut Rhianna out of the production process.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Glasgow was built almost exclusively on the profits from building slave ships and the tobacco industry.

And speaking of Glasgow:

https://twitter.com/MQuinnYCL/status/1269595229012791296

The Peelian Principles, on which the Met was founded:

To prevent crime and disorder, as an alternative to their repression by military force and severity of legal punishment.
To recognise always that the power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behaviour, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect.
To recognise always that to secure and maintain the respect and approval of the public means also the securing of the willing co-operation of the public in the task of securing observance of laws.
To recognise always that the extent to which the co-operation of the public can be secured diminishes proportionately the necessity of the use of physical force and compulsion for achieving police objectives.
To seek and preserve public favour, not by pandering to public opinion, but by constantly demonstrating absolutely impartial service to law, in complete independence of policy, and without regard to the justice or injustice of the substance of individual laws, by ready offering of individual service and friendship to all members of the public without regard to their wealth or social standing, by ready exercise of courtesy and friendly good humour, and by ready offering of individual sacrifice in protecting and preserving life.
To use physical force only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient to obtain public co-operation to an extent necessary to secure observance of law or to restore order, and to use only the minimum degree of physical force which is necessary on any particular occasion for achieving a police objective.
To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.
To recognise always the need for strict adherence to police-executive functions, and to refrain from even seeming to usurp the powers of the judiciary, of avenging individuals or the State, and of authoritatively judging guilt and punishing the guilty.
To recognise always that the test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, and not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with them.

Someone tell the fuckers, please.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

As someone pointed out, the thing being talked about in that thread is not a gotcha. Hermione is AFAB, and doing something to make her body male does not change the fact that she is female. If anything it's proof Rowling was a TERF all along.

(And in reality, that whole tweet thread exists because people who refuse to read another book are analysing a story written for children from the perspective of adults. It's not a good tweet.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I've been willing to give starmer a lot more leeway than most of you lot but that was loving abysmal.

Keir Starmer couldn't lead an alcoholic to an off-licence.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nah. Archaeologists regularly bitch that it's impossible to tell what era agricultural equipment comes from unless there's an associated find of trove, because once we started using iron tools around 500BC nothing changed in Britain for 2000 years apart from the face on the coins and the language spoken by the cunts in charge. It's probably where our national passivity towards government shittiness comes from; it's always been the same, it always will be the same, you just wait it out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Apraxin posted:

per the crosstabs, it was 50% of over-65s and 49% of Leave voters

There's a difference now?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Katie Leung got there first. The real burn has come from the kid who played Draco Malfoy's son in the epilogue, though.

https://twitter.com/bertieglbrt/status/1269394588046942209?s=20

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

The Churchill chat earlier left me with the depressing thought that it’s possible a kind, humane outside world would in fact have been just as weak and ready for collapse as the fascists thought it was, and it took ruthless hierarchical systems like American capitalism, British imperialism and Stalinist totalitarianism to effectively marshal the resources to stop them.

In other words Hitler and his buddies believed the lies the US, USSR and Britain told ourselves about who we all really were, and got stomped as a result.

It's more that you need to be ruthless to fight fascists because they'll fight to the point of extermination. The best case if someone like Chamberlain had been PM, someone who didn't want war but would fight with regret, would be a Nazi "surrender" that put us back in the same place 20 years down the line, except with nukes. The worst case would be that we lost in early 1941. Churchill was a bastard, but we needed a bastard.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Already gone what was it?

Being an idiot white woman speaking like Jar Jar Binks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Yes, he did, quite a lot of people in fact.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

kingturnip posted:

Starmer's such a wet fart.
So utterly asinine that he can't bring himself to oppose anything.

Except prosecuting paedos, of course.

It takes Savile-age to rape a child.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Jesus, a Trump tweet has actually been ratio'd.

75 year olds are the GOP base.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tory scum are running a survey to gauge levels of support for their racist immigration bill, and to make sure they get the right result they're only advertising it to their supporters. I wish I could have obtained a link to it so we could make people aware of what is going on, and perhaps influence the results.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shouldn't take long. There's only about 14 MPs called David, and it isn't David Lammy. (Oddly, apart from him and the SNP MP for Banff and Buchan, all the MPs named David are Tories.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jose posted:

isn't necessarily an mp

That's what a Tory would say, yes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dude, please - they're not all necrophiles.

Peter Shilton has to nobody's surprise exposed himself as an arsehole, telling people that the Tories have a huge majority and if you don't like it you should get out of the country instead of pulling down statues. This has caused Ray Clemence to start trending on Twitter, not because he had anything to do with it but from all the people saying he was a better keeper than Shilton.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bessantj posted:

There's a great Rage Against the Machine thread on twitter right now. Did you know they're suddenly a political band?

I'm presuming that's sarcastic.

It will come as no surprise to anyone that the COVID-19 safety net spending is going to be paid for by ending local council services. Not scaling back or even slashing; councils are just going to cease offering them. I expect the first thing to go will be all branch libraries, but social work is right behind because it's already nearly bankrupt.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tarnop posted:

Are you speculating here or has the work already begun in manufacturing consent for this?

I'm speculating about the libraries, but they were already on the front line in the last round of cuts so that's not an unreasonable assumption to make.

And there is no manufacturing of anything. Local authorities have simply been informed that they will receive no additional funding to compensate for the extra expenses and loss of income incurred from the present crisis. Everything else is privileged information, but it's valid. File an FOI request with your local authority if you want it.

Oh, and unemployment is up to 13%. So it's probably going to hit 25% after No Deal Brexit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

How cute, there's even a second half to the plinth for Nazis to stand on.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ratjaculation posted:

Most didn't revolt when 160,000 lives were needlessly cut short because of tory rule. They didn't revolt when nurses were paid below their means of living. They didn't care that May magically misplaced the only copy of a document listing Tory nonces in the HoL. They didn't react to Windrush or any of the other countless xenophobic scandals.

Nothing will change.

It's because they either know and don't care (because it doesn't affect them), or they just blindly absorb what is fed to them by the Tory press.

The ones who know and don't care because it doesn't affect them are already starting to care about the COVID-19 response because it does affect them. And when their businesses start to go under because they're not quite rich enough for the Tories to help, they're going to care about Brexit too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

stev posted:

Man if everyone associated with all her works stand united against her that'd be so good.

Practically everyone is. There's even a meme going round the fandom declaring that Daniel Radcliffe created Harry Potter. Watching Rowling get deplatformed by her own fans is the most fun those books have ever given, I think.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

OTOH, I'm not obviously seeing anythign particularly hideous that he did on Wikipedia (albeit, there's some lovely stuff, and he was a colonel in the 1890s in Africa so I can't see that it's likely that he was a GOOD person, but maybe that in and of itself is enough, given that was was very obviously doing colonialism and imperialism at the very least), does anyone have specifics?

Executing POWs who had surrendered on a guarantee of good treatment, twinning the Scouts with the Hitler Youth. Heck, even the creation of the Scouts was inspired by him having used children in military roles at Mafeking.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Wachter posted:

I'm not too sure how I feel about self-help books on how to not be a racist rocketing to the top of the Amazon charts like a best-of album of a musician who's just killed themself

At least the people buying them don't want to be racists, or want someone else to not be racist.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bobstar posted:

Basil is also outrageously offensive to the Germans after getting hit on the head, and I don't think we're meant to side with him there.

I don't think you're ever meant to side with Basil Fawlty.

They're probably going to pull Kung Fu Kapers by the Goodies soon, for a couple of racial stereotypes and a blackface scene.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

But the defence of the Colston statue is not about race, of course.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Borrovan posted:

I also found it incredibly distasteful to come out as a victim of sexual assault in her blog response. Not just because she's pulling a Spacey, but uuhhhh what the gently caress does that have to do with trans people? Only makes the slightest connection to the most disgusting type of transphobe.

e: & I just realised I compared a sexual assault victim to a sex offender, which is also very distasteful, but frankly if she doesn't want to be compared to utter vermin maybe she shouldn't act like utter vermin?

Rowling is utter vermin. She's the perfect liberal, which is to say that she's a Tory without the background or connections to actually be a Tory. Like all liberals she believes it is right that ladders should exist to help when she needs it but also be pulled up behind her to make sure that nobody undeserving uses them later. Her books, or at least the ones she's famous for, are lovely copies of Enid Blyton with lashings of racism instead of cream, and her attitude regarding them is easily confused with a performance art rendition of the Narcissist's Prayer. And she's done all of this while positioning herself as a role model for children.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

josh04 posted:

It's not really fair to suggest that the Sun are doing Rowling a favour by putting her abusive ex talking about slapping her on the cover, regardless of anything else.

The Sun slapped her on the cover as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Just out of curiosity: do we have to wait for the racists to be made into statues before we throw them into the harbour?