Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

- Pipe multiplies any of the above by 1000

The original version had both the pipe and the hand in it, even (until the artist demanded Graham stopped using it due to not wanting his art associated with a raging bigot, resulting in it being redrawn by a raging bigot who could draw)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1267788236665094145

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

i don't have full context for this but someone seems to have convinced high-ups in the LA police to go on a zoom call where members of the public can call in and the results are glorious. do check out the full thread and replies:

https://twitter.com/keywilliamss/status/1267929996430991360

e: the live video is here, it's apparently on break at the moment but still going on after several hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz0CKlGj3uI

Angepain fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 3, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

theory: "a powerful ventilation system in place to stop coronavirus building up in stale air"

what will actually happen in your local:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Bobstar posted:

Ugh, blue lives matter. When I first heard it I thought it was a variant of the stupid "colourblind" mantra of "I don't care if you're white, black, or purple!" because the idea that police are a class that need protecting was just too stupid.

it is a meaningful movement for rights for our alien friends who despite initial diplomatic misunderstandings only wanted to have a 90s eurodance party

Angepain fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 3, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

sassassin posted:

I walked into the men's room at Worcester train station and a bloke was wanking into a urinal what is the government going to do about that?

toilets should be segregated between Masturbators and Non-Masturbators. guards stationed at doors to test eyesight and hairiness of palms

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jose posted:

lol jk rowling is have A Normal One on twitter again. imagine being a billionaire and being unable to stfu about trans people online

honestly it's kind of refreshing that she's finally saying what she thinks rather than just strongly implying it through her likes and follows. now we all can do so much less explaining when people ask why she's a dingus

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

it's okay, she's read multiple blogs

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1269394077176541189

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Who is erasing the concept of sex? Is that what rubbing one out means?

it's the standard terf reliance on the meanings of words. if we "weaken" the definition of "woman" to not mean "people born with vaginas" then we will be completely incapable of talking about people born with vaginas as a whole. Which is the only classification that matters as they have already built a nice little theory built on that alone being where all forms of sexism comes from. it's kind of the "changing the definition of marriage" argument reheated slightly, though this time it's relying on the absolute authority of second-wave feminism rather than the Bible. their form of feminism is built from the ground up on a set of rigid axioms and any threat to those must be a plot to destroy them. like if students of euclidean geometry refused to acknowledge observed distortions in space due to gravity and said people claiming they exist were trying to destroy the concept of triangles

Angepain fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 6, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

real intellectuals know that your knowledge on a subject is based on the raw numbers of pages of text that you have been able to scan with your eyeballs, and nothing to do with say, critical thinking or examining your own preconceived notions yada yada. i for example have read thousands of distinct works online by a diverse range of authors and so see myself as an authority on biological compatibility between human and vulcan males

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Wachter posted:

I don't want to go down the :biotruths: rabbit hole of compacted human poo poo, but how do TERFs treat things like hysterectomies or hormone imbalances? Do they think that a woman who loses her "woman parts" isn't (as much of) a woman any more?

generally the approach i've seen is "that's rare so it doesn't matter". the precise boundary of how common your deal has to be to have The Sacred Unchangeable Word Definitions include you is never precisely nailed down

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The ratios are heartening, not as good as I'd like but seems like every time she goes off about it they get better.

like my first reaction to a lot of what she says is, "oh god, this is phrased pseudo-reasonably enough that third parties who are not well-versed in transphobic dog-whistling will think she's just stating a reasonable opinion", and i guess that may well be the purpose of a lot of terf and terf-adjacent language, so it is nice to see a wide range of people very much not falling for it

there'll still be an article in the spectator defending her against the woke brigade or whatever but still

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Do you know what the difference is between a garbanzo bean and a chickpea?

Nothing, I want to see them in a copper's face.

this kind of talk is reckless and irresponsible. the chick would have to get too close to the copper for that. there's a pandemic on. she should do it in an open receptacle and throw it instead. or some kind of super soaker arrangement.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

the slight up-and-down caused by some combination of the large amount of activity and twitter's accurate-eventually system gives it a real exciting feel. get the guy who does commentary on jelle's marble runs to have a go at this. can 14,547,7xx come back from this? it's not looking good! a surprise sudden appearance of 14,547,63x clinches it

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

bessantj posted:

That second tweet makes no sense to me. Does she think that recognising trans women means that 'women' ceases to exist as a category?

it ceases to mean exactly what terfs want it to mean, and so becomes useless as a term in their eyes.

terf: It is very important to consider discrimination against women (quiet voice: which i mean to be people born with vaginas and only people born with vaginas)
trans people: wow defining women like that really ties in to a lot of hateful attitudes, we have a more complex understanding of what a "woman" is which is based on-
terf: I AM BEING CALLED A BIGOT FOR TALKING ABOUT WOMEN. THEY WANT TO STOP WOMEN EXISTING.
spectator columnist who only kramered in three seconds ago: wow these crazy trans people

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

So what I'm hearing is Transalpine Gaul isn't true Gaul, and that only Cisalpine Gaul can be considered that?

asterix says trans rights

e:ok i looked up where transalpine gaul actually was and i can't tell if it actually includes where Asterix was but i guess he would still be happy if the romans left them alone too so sure

Angepain fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 7, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

those tweets are a great three-part story of good decisions

"yes good on them. the statue should be put in a corner of a museum or something, not in a public place"
"yes, good point. the statue should be put in a corner of a museum beaten up from being rolled around and specifically with the arse detached"
"okay yes, better idea, leave it to rot at the bottom of the river with maybe a viewing platform or something for people to spit on him from. maybe dredge it up in 20 years where it's still recognisable but rusted to hell and then stick it in the museum. with the arse still off."

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Edinburgh people talking about the statue of Dundas in St Andrew Square, so I had a wee look at the guy's history for the first time in ever and while it would be quite difficult for a crowd to take down, wow jesus this guy was a waste of space:

Edinburgh World Heritage posted:

The imposing figure who stands on the top is Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville, whose nicknames of ‘King Harry the Ninth’, the ‘Great Tyrant’ and the ‘Uncrowned King of Scotland’, tell their own story. Dundas trained as a lawyer but went on to have a highly successful political career, becoming MP for Midlothian in 1774 and shortly afterwards a government minister. As Home Secretary he used his influence to frustrate efforts to end the slave trade. At the outbreak of war with France he became Minister for War, and many historians blame him for much of the lack of organisation and confused planning in the campaigns that followed. In 1806 he was impeached for the misuse of public funds, and although found not guilty he never held office again.

Why then would anyone build a monument to this ‘monster’? In fact, the monument was paid for, not by the government, but as a plaque on it records, ‘by the voluntary contributions of the officers, petty officers, seamen and marines’. The simple fact was that Dundas was very good at working the corrupt system of Georgian politics, and many people in Scotland had benefited from his goodwill. Dundas was an important confidante for the king at a time of very strained relations with the Prince of Wales, and tried to use this influence to gain better recognition for Catholics in Ireland. He certainly suffered from prejudice, and many of his enemies mocked his supposedly rough manners and broad Scottish accent.

he may have supported the slave trade but people were mean to him so who is to say if he was good or bad

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Ah, yeah, that'd be a loving feat :catstare:

it'll be a good summer project for the engineering students at the universities

OwlFancier posted:

From the looks of it the giving point was between the statue and the plinth, the statue held up pretty well except for when the arse fell off.

yes and also when the backside of the statue detached :dadjoke:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/20thCFlicks/status/1269712313935953929

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

ok turns out jonathan ross of all people is backing up jk rowling. dude what exactly is your qualification to hold forth in this area

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Attacking the police is a betrayal of the cause they purport to serve, namely, uh, fighting the police

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

this sort of thing probably isn't news to anyone but i did find this thread an interesting look at police attitudes and how the rot is very much structural

https://twitter.com/AlexandraErin/status/1269839205036851201

Red Oktober posted:

He's also making a very strong play for 'videocall bookshelf of the lockdown'. Very strong.

the four or five guitars really clinches it. next video interview should just be him saying "gently caress coulson", doing a sick guitar riff and skateboarding off camera. that's what i'd do if i was a respected historian at this time

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

When the UK switched from 240V to 230V to harmonize with the Continent, all that was actually done was the official tolerances in the ESQCR changed from 240V -10%/+6% to 230V -6%/+10%.

You can do the maths on that yourself to see the amount of :effort: involved.

drat it now all my 253-254.4V appliances are useless

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

it took like five people just to roll it along the street, but i'm sure these guys will be able to lift it out from the bottom of a river just through dickhead manliness alone

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Can someone explain to me what JK Rowling's tweet was even going on about? I read it but I couldn't understand how she phrased anything.

I found this summary on twitter which might help. as someone with experience of internet bigots i can confirm rowling's speaking the exact dogwhistle language of the mumsnet terf set. who she follows.

https://twitter.com/MetteBundvad/status/1269715100165947392

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I don't normally pay attention to the ever-ongoing J.K.Terfing bullshit but now it's way up there on the BBC website. I hope she's feeling mighty embarrassed (but i expect she's actually pulling a "am i really that out of touch? no, it is the everybody else who are wrong")

it would be nice for the article to actually explain why what she said was transphobic rather than just giving a fence-sitting "she was called transphobic but said she wasn't", but can you really expect anything more from bbc news i guess

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Prime av material in the latest Squires cartoon.

IRON FIST Freedom Mist

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Illuminti posted:

Edit:

Dunno why I do it to myself. Cant be bothered

no, please, don't go, impart your wisdom unto us fools

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Illuminti posted:

People who use the phrase "PC police" are not really the ones you should be concerned about. They probably are. Unfortunately the term racist now seems to mean everyone who doesn't agree with your ideas or methods. People seem to be born racist now, it's in the blood, which I don't agree with.

no, they just get taught it by living in a society. did you know we live in a society? we do!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Illuminti posted:

I can tell you're nearly there, but unfortunately no, I'm not going to play. It's kinda weird (and telling) how desperate you are to rather than even have a vague discussion with me, or simply ignore me, you are trying to goad me into revealing a sin so you can screech witch at me and run me out of town.

I'm well aware that there is nothing I can say that you will not claim makes me racist. I do not agree with you, therefore I am a racist.

The above will probably be more than enough for you to call me a racist to be honest!

we'd quite like for you to state an actual position so we can discuss it in the debate and discussion forum rather than some broad-swathes generalisation about some unspecified people somewhere calling some unspecified people racist for doing or saying some unspecified thing when they are not in fact racist. specifying even one of those would be a nice step forward and would allow us to have an actual discussion where we don't just call you names. we might still call you some names if it turns out to be really dumb i admit but it would at least be able to be mixed with some actual exploration of actual concepts

or you could just post what you really think about the validity of my gender identity and likely get probated again and we won't have to read your tedious posts

both good options

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

also the "is somebody a racist" conversation is much less interesting than the "is this specific action or set of words racist" conversation and means a whole lot less in practical terms, which is perhaps why those who want to paint the entire left as cultish morons try to make it seem as if the latter conversation doesn't exist and the entire role of exploring racism in society is to generate a list of those who have sinned to be murdered. c.f. this video from 12 years ago, which manages to stay relevant in modern times despite referencing the concept of aggregating feeds in its first few seconds

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

so are you planning on engaging with anybody's actual points or

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

this is hellworld and the country is cursed so i imagine the rest of the world will undergo glorious utopian revolutions while britain soldiers on bravely doing a racism forevermore

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

reports coming in that keir starmer can dress himself all my himself every morning and even tie his own shoelaces all on his own

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Anyway, it's JK Rowling time!

oh no she's tweeted again. why. why did she do this. why can it just not ever be jk rowling time again

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

oh no she's tweeted again. why. why did she do this. why can it just not ever be jk rowling time again

oh it's worse than a tweet, she's written a blog post full of standard terf talking points while pretending she cares about trans people. it's a nice sample text in recognising terf-style dog-whistles and uh, that's about the only worth it has from what i can tell

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

well at least Cursed Child is no longer the dumbest thing she's ever written

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

No More Toast posted:

JK is exhausting. If you're curious read the blog post by all means, but I'd recommend doing something you'll actually enjoy instead. I sure wish I had!

if you've read anything any terf has written in the past ten years just mentally assemble whatever remnants remain in your memory in a random order and you'll pretty much have the same thing with less effort. it's not even interesting bigotry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

so this is apparently how the Guardian have decided to frame the story:

edit: oh god the article is pretty bad too. extensive quoting of jk's arguments and like a paragraph or two saying "some people said they disagree, for reasons we will not particularly specify"

loving great job. great newspaper. brilliant

edit2: somehow from the twitter account in the byline the person credited with the article seems to be... against jk's opinion? has she been edited to hell or is the guardian just bad at journalism or what the hell

Angepain fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 11, 2020