Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Of course he does, its testicle tanning
https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1515130557675581442

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Don’t know if this was posted but it’s a pretty good visual for what happens to people when they watch Tucker also I forgot just how ducking insane the things he said are until I heard the clips in this again

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Don’t know if this was posted but it’s a pretty good visual for what happens to people when they watch Tucker also I forgot just how ducking insane the things he said are until I heard the clips in this again

it's really unfortunate timing that Aamon finished and released this video just before we all learned about testicle tanning

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
If nothing else, at least Fucker continues to give cartoonists plenty of fodder.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wow I have to say Tucker pushing ball tanning is something I didn't expect. Especially hilarious consideirng it was a thing like 3 years ago: https://maximumfun.org/episodes/sawbones/sawbones-taint-tanning-and-heliotherapy/

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
that seems like it would kill all the sperm

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gently overwarming the balls is a method of temporary contraception, that said, there's suggestions of a slightly bigger, long-term issue, so I'm willing to let Tucky boy and his fans provide a larger sample size.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Tesseraction posted:

Gently overwarming the balls...

How about this instead?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/iD4RO/status/1520437838113820672?s=20&t=NTjjcpJVp8nZp06JEJrKCQ

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
This is old now, but Tucker did a great segment on Musk's acquisition of Twitter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGlP9pSfmzM

His main rhetorical point is that free speech definitionally benefits the less powerful more than the powerful, because if you have the ability to abridge someone's speech you have more power than them. I think there's more nuance to it than that because people have different levels of power in different contexts, but Twitter is obviously part of the public square so if you control the limits of speech there you have a significant, possibly even unconstitutional amount of power.

My favorite part is when he talks about how even though the outcome is good, it's bad that we have to rely on Musk to do this because our system is so dysfunctional. It's not oversimplifying the issue like Musk fanboys do.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Dog King posted:

but Twitter is obviously part of the public square so if you control the limits of speech there you have a significant, possibly even unconstitutional amount of power.

Look everybody an idiot in the wild. To who does the first amendment apply? Private and public companies can sensor or restrict speech as much as they want. The conflation is a right wing talking point that basically everybody posting and reading this thread is aware of.

Or have you not read the thread before this?

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Look everybody an idiot in the wild. To who does the first amendment apply? Private and public companies can sensor or restrict speech as much as they want. The conflation is a right wing talking point that basically everybody posting and reading this thread is aware of.

Or have you not read the thread before this?

I haven't read the entire thread, no. Just the last page to see if that video had been posted or people were talking about it. But the idea that certain social media platforms have become large enough that banning someone from them is a significant abridgement of their ability to speak in the public square is not conservative or right-wing. It just happens to be convenient for them, because they're the ones being banned right now. The ideology behind the idea is much more comfortably leftist (removing excessive power of private corporations for the public good) or liberal (preserving civil liberty).

There also is some legal precedent for this, like as Pruneyard Shopping Center v. Robins.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dog King posted:

I haven't read the entire thread, no. Just the last page to see if that video had been posted or people were talking about it. But the idea that certain social media platforms have become large enough that banning someone from them is a significant abridgement of their ability to speak in the public square is not conservative or right-wing. It just happens to be convenient for them, because they're the ones being banned right now. The ideology behind the idea is much more comfortably leftist (removing excessive power of private corporations for the public good) or liberal (preserving civil liberty).

There also is some legal precedent for this, like as Pruneyard Shopping Center v. Robins.

Saying it’s unconstitutional to ban someone from twitter is a right-wing talking point. The constitution has nothing to do with it, but they want to control social media with laws and court rulings so that it serves them. The framing here serves that goal.

Saying it’s correct to nationalize all social media should be the left-wing talking point.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

My man, you are transparent and ineffective here.

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I AM GRANDO posted:

Saying it’s unconstitutional to ban someone from twitter is a right-wing talking point. The constitution has nothing to do with it, but they want to control social media with laws and court rulings so that it serves them. The framing here serves that goal.

Saying it’s correct to nationalize all social media should be the left-wing talking point.

Fair enough. I still think bringing up how it might violate laws is more liberal than right-wing, but I'm more interested in the thing itself than married to any particular messaging.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dog King posted:

Fair enough. I still think bringing up how it might violate laws is more liberal than right-wing, but I'm more interested in the thing itself than married to any particular messaging.

Good news: someone getting banned from Twitter doesn't violate any laws, so there's no discussion needed

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Nationalizing Twitter is interesting in and of itself because it's an international platform. Like, the USA would be controlling conversations between Spanish people in Spain, and that's weird.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Saw this horrifying thing in a NYT tweet.

https://i.imgur.com/7DIOO0B.mp4

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The absolute free speech argument is tedious at this point: free speech is the right to speak not the right to a platform.

By and large when the right talk about free speech they mean freedom from consequences of speech. They care not for what effect that speech has on others, they only care that they should be allowed to say it.

This is inherently itself anti free speech. Those with larger followings on platforms can use absolute free speech to direct suppression towards speech they disagree with.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I knew I remembered Dog King from somewhere.

Dog King posted:

It's impressive that all of the people Rittenhouse shot were white, and he supports BLM, but on social media there are still people saying he's a white supremacist. That's the power of narratives and ideology.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Part of the problem with Tucker.... Is Dog King. He can just waltz into a space on the Internet and fish with a clip like this. Then comes the : Why I’m no fascist but the television fascist makes a good point. He then proceeded to attempt to attach the negative reaction to tucker to liberal and left wing.

Now Dog is a little fish that I assume most of D&D sees through. He’s probably doing the same on Reddit or in other spaces where it works better. I’d wager some are sophisticated enough to be mining conversations here, we used to have one of those in the religion threads. Can’t remember the user name.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 1, 2022

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
This fuckin' knob...

Tucker Carlson took another shot at Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) on Friday night. Calling her “Sandy Cortez” as he always does when referring to the congresswoman, the Fox News host questioned whether she is a woman of color.

“She’s a woman of color? Really? How?” Carlson asked, cackling. “She’s a woman who talks about herself incessantly. She’s a narcissist of color. That’s what she really is when she’s not shilling for her donors in the green energy business.”

Ocasio-Cortez is of Puerto Rican descent on both sides.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/tucker-carlson-questions-whether-aoc-is-a-woman-of-color-really-how/

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
And this is apropos:

The New York Times dropped a massive three-part investigative report into Tucker Carlson that declares his Fox News program “the most racist show in the history of cable news.”

The deep-dive story by reporter Nick Confessore was published Saturday morning, and details — in the headline’s words — “How Tucker Carlson Stoked White Fear to Conquer Cable.”

In one section, Confessore — a Times reporter and MSNBC contributor — describes a meeting with Rupert Murdoch after Carlson weathered controversy over his remark that undocumented immigrants are making America “poorer and dirtier and more divided.”

https://www.mediaite.com/news/ny-ti...-of-cable-news/

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dog King posted:

How is, "law" a liberal thing versus a right wing thing? What laws would be violated if Tucker were purged instantly from all privately held platforms of all types for even the most absurd of reasons? Please tell me what laws you are worried this would run afoul of, in detail.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Not to defend the troll, but I thought the implication was that the right doesn't even pretend to care about the rule of law.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Clarste posted:

Not to defend the troll, but I thought the implication was that the right doesn't even pretend to care about the rule of law.

Correct, but the right is also loathe to admit it in so many words and instead couches it in vague and incoherent "free speech" garbage as though their dogshit opinions and paranoiac turtle mentality are a stand-in for morality. I just want to know exactly what case law and precedent has Dog King so worried about millionaire New York socialite and trust find to the Swanson fortune Tucker Swanson Carlson being unfairly silenced or why said silencing wouldn't be just or appropriate

For example if Tucker Carlson created an account here I would immediately submit a ban for them, what argument would hold weight to prevent me from doing so?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CocoaNuts posted:

This fuckin' knob...

Tucker Carlson took another shot at Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) on Friday night. Calling her “Sandy Cortez” as he always does when referring to the congresswoman, the Fox News host questioned whether she is a woman of color.

“She’s a woman of color? Really? How?” Carlson asked, cackling. “She’s a woman who talks about herself incessantly. She’s a narcissist of color. That’s what she really is when she’s not shilling for her donors in the green energy business.”

Ocasio-Cortez is of Puerto Rican descent on both sides.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/tucker-carlson-questions-whether-aoc-is-a-woman-of-color-really-how/

On top of everything else, It's loving gross how he concern trolls about money in politics from green energy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dog King posted:

This is old now, but Tucker did a great segment on Musk's acquisition of Twitter:

His main rhetorical point is that free speech definitionally benefits the less powerful more than the powerful, because if you have the ability to abridge someone's speech you have more power than them. I think there's more nuance to it than that because people have different levels of power in different contexts, but Twitter is obviously part of the public square so if you control the limits of speech there you have a significant, possibly even unconstitutional amount of power.

My favorite part is when he talks about how even though the outcome is good, it's bad that we have to rely on Musk to do this because our system is so dysfunctional. It's not oversimplifying the issue like Musk fanboys do.

There is vastly more to it than that, and has been through time. Those with power, and especially wealth, can afford platforms on a scale that no average member of the populace can even really wrap their minds around.
Musk is actually doing a great job of saying the quiet part loudly because he's new money and doesn't have the connections to apply pressure other than throwing cash at it, or the social skills to know when to shut his mouth (as the SEC has demonstrated).

That said, Twitter is not the public square. Twitter is a private entity. The First Amendment doesn't require a private entity to give you a platform or refrain from censoring your speech on their platform. It requires that the government not censor your speech. Unless someone quietly nationalized Twitter in the last six hours, the First Amendment has nothing to do with them.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
New level of stupidity and propaganda...

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1521280811168714752

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Well, maybe Russia shouldn't have started that war then? 🤔

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Yeah this all leads back to "gently caress Around, Tan yer balls"

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Well, maybe Russia shouldn't have started that war then? 🤔

Look at who’s victim blaming now. Checkmate :smuggo:

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Believable...

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Aha! One of Fucker's influences is revealed:

https://twitter.com/JohnnyHeatWave/status/1560677562002448384

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Still hate this man.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-62898655

I hate this rear end in a top hat so loving much.

He just has the worst loving takes on literally everything.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Fox should make him wear the bowtie again.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

poemdexter posted:

Around his throat like an accessory. And unbutton that shirt by a few more. He's just longing to step out and strut.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

poemdexter posted:

I'm punching my phone just thinking about it

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Vahakyla posted:

Still hate this man.

He is the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hear Ye! Hear Ye!