Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm hopeful that in addition to paying off your debt you can have opportunities to buy some nice things for yourself like a ship of your own or your own hab. The possibilities are limitless, they could have it run a bit like Euro Truck Simulator in that you could run your own scrapyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

threelemmings posted:

Ah but you misinterpret: I threw the whole piece into the barge and it counts.

I know what I'll be doing next time I get a passenger gecko.

I've been avoiding them because of the chair spam but this resolves the issue nicely.

What's the best way to cut up the gecko reactor quickly? In the passenger versions its set up such that you gotta move apart the hefty back end from the front just to create an egress.. The cargo geckos seem to handle things better.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Tim Pawlenty posted:

I've been cutting out the area between it and the ECU (outside the main cabins) and processing the bottom piece. From there I make sure I've purged everything I can then its just a matter of cutting the pipes, pulling off the panels, and it should be a straight shot down once you remove it from the housing. You can then also pull the ECU and thrusters from that position.

How do you purge the coolant pipes and fuel pipes? There isn't a utility key present in all circumstances.

Is there a trick to the ECU?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Back Hack posted:

For coolant pipes, find the ECU, remove front panel, and yank out all cans of coolant, wait for them to drain. You're golden.

Fuel needs to be purge via switches (may cause a rupture, wait for it to end if it does) on fuel tanks or engines.

I have yanked the cans in the past but I still get a burst of cold explosions once i try to cut the pipe. Is this draining process a long time or am I experiencing a bug?

I also noticed in the gecko there's a lot of fuel tanks surrounding the thrusters. I saw vids of some people blowing the thrusters via manual override without removing the fuel and that sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Insert name here posted:

When you look at rooms in the first scanner view (that shows stuff like cut points and the like) each room with have a red or green bar next to it. This indicates its pressurization status: green means pressurized and red means depressurized.

That’s extremely useful. In the Geckos you can’t depressurize the entire hull but you can do it for the biggest rooms. For example the passenger gecko can be depressurized safely when you get inside the airlock. The problem is that there’s closed doors to pressurized cargo rooms and the pilot hallway. I find even though it’s somewhat unpleasant due to items being scattered everywhere you can get away with this without any major damage.

I tried to cut the entire floor of the gecko so you don’t have to move the seats one by one. It’s effective but you still have to remove seats and throw them on the barge if it gets stuck to the barge at the wrong angle. I wish there was a faster way to fulfill the electrical, mechanical and furniture work orders because in some cases I’m always forced to skip them. Especially mechanical

On a side note, using the split saw makes me think this is what Isaac would have been doing if Dead Space was a more peaceful universe. Perhaps this IS dead space and we are simply living out the prequel. Maybe the final mission of hard space is dismantling a derelict that contains a marker?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Qubee posted:

Anyone able to shed some light on the ship catalog icons, and what they mean? I'm trying to figure out what all the little icons denote but I've not found anywhere in the tutorial to help. So right now, I'm just picking ships at random.

They are resource types. I think each one corresponds to a different base material: Nanocarbon, Titanium, Aluminium, electrical items, furniture etc.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Poltroon posted:

The easiest way to depressurize the interior spaces is to depressurize the main compartment, and just open the doors to adjoining pressurized compartments once that's complete. Any loose objects will whoosh out while the compartments equalize, but you don't get any explosive decompression events like you would with the cutter.

My main problem now is trying to figure out how to safely remove engines and disconnect fuel lines without fires/explosions. I know you can use the control panel to vent fuel if you have a physical key, but how do you do it safely without the key? Whenever I use the release valves on the engines themselves, it often results in a fuel leak that cascades into a bunch of explosions and a reactor meltdown.

I had some luck turning all three release valves in sequence on the larger ship, which seems to completely empty out the fuel pipes. On a ship with a single engine, the fuel line ruptured and never emptied, leading to a reactor explosion. Can I slice into the line somewhere away from the reactor, or maybe freeze them to dump the excess fuel?

The cockpit and engine/thruster compartments of the mackarels will elegantly separate from the shaft of the ship. You can either twist them off slightly with tethers or you can pull them toward the berth and home jack. Once you have access to the crawlspaces down the main shaft you'll see fuel pipes that connect to the nacelles and a fuel tank located just behind the nacelles toward the thruster/reactor compartment. Each fuel tank has a manual purge valve just above it that will clear the pipes of fuel. After that you can safely remove the fuel tanks and then cut the pipe off the nacelles and take the entire pipe assembly off.

The reactor/thruster connection requires you to use a utility key to release the thruster without fires. Unfortunately there seems to be no way to remove the pipe from the reactor without causing flames to shoot out so you'll have to quickly move the pipe before it damages it into full meltdown mode.

On geckos the utility key will be really important to purging the fuel lines. If you can't you'll need to make an egress to get rid of all the fuel tanks that surround the thrusters and then pull the manual valves. The flames will shoot out to the sides but they can't burn through the reactor walls or anything else. It's the fuel tanks causing explosions.

The coolant tubes can be purged if you go to the ECU room, pull open the front panel marked by an X and then remove the small coolant bottles from the ECU until you no longer see any coolant cloud inside. If you still see a cloud but no bottle carefully mouse your tether around until it confirms a lock on to the hidden bottle. Sometimes the mist hides the extra one. As soon as all the bottles are pulled, the coolant tubes should be empty at that point. You can slice the tube from outside the inner hull and then chop up the pipes for stowage once you've removed the reactor.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah that drives me nuts.

Aluminium inner body panels rest on a 3D mesh-grid of aluminium frames. You can cut the frame, or the body panel but not both even though the laser passes over it. It seems the twin-saw picks which entity you want to cut and ignores the other one so you have to make 3 cuts per panel side... one for the panel and 2 for the frames... If you're into precision you may also need to make a 3rd cut to the side frame too.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I’m quickly approaching tier 8 now that I’m doing geckos. I think my biggest problem with them is I get ADD with them since there are so many shinys attached. A methodical plan to focus on specific objects first would let me know what to focus on.

I think the first shift should be spent preparing the workspace for the juicy interior bits that come after. In other words you depressurize and use the utility key if you find one. Then cut up all the cutting points to pull apart the outer hull. Drop the nacelles and sensor towers etc and by then your shift should be over. You should make enough money processing the outer hull to break even or turn a 1-2 mil profit. For safety reasons it’s probably best not to cut the points holding the stern together so the thrusters don’t snap off the fuel pipes and detonate the fuel tanks.

The hard part comes after. If it’s a cargo gecko you got a lot of work to do cutting various hull plates and other details. The cargo containers are tether hogs and cutting there’s no fast way to cut the cranes off their electric rails without causing mass electrical disturbances.

Finally the pipes near the reactor are basically glued to the outer walls and it can be tricky to chop off the junction, the vertical pipe glued to the wall and also the various aluminium support struts the game wants you to throw in the blue bin for some reason. I haven’t found an elegant way to release the reactor short of butchering the hell out of the surrounding walls and then prying off the outer panels one by one before separating it from its holding plates.

The game lets you use tethers to try and stack items but in practice daisy chaining fragments like this is less optimal and maybe only serves as an organizational tool to bunch them somewhere else so you can tether shoot them to their disposal site.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

luxury handset posted:

there's no penalty, but there is opportunity cost

tethers are cheap, you might as well just huck the entire thing into the furnace/processor depending on what most of the composition is. even if 40% of the bulk is wasted, you profit on the other 60%

The cargo geckos in particular have a C shaped nanocarbon hull plate with an aluminium section on the top of the C held in place by a single inner nanocarbon bracket.

To pry it loose you basically have to make 4 cuts. 2 around the bracket and 2 more on the sides touching the plating. You still get 120kg of wastage unless you do a horizontal cut where the bracket meets the aluminium. This entire game is a nightmare for OCD people. I hate that the lady in the control tower goes “remember your training you put the wrong thing in” like there should be some acceptable wastage due to opportunity cost.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

luxury handset posted:

in my headcanon my guy is smoking a cig inside his space helmet as he just kicks enormous piles of mixed metals into the processor

Haha. The game is either a Starcraft or dead space prequel. Can’t decide which.

Also what does Yeet mean? I’m too old for this poo poo.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 19, 2020

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

So in case anyone was wondering about the final splitsaw upgrade:
Nanocarbon isn't supposed to turn into scrap when you cut it. The dev team will rectify this issue.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1161580/discussions/0/2527030866874013626/

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

After about 28 hours I think I've hit my limit with this game. It's really tedious to try and reach level 8 constantly having to individually grapple and shoot electronics into the barge with a 60% bounce rate. The gameplay has gotten repetitive so I think i'll take a break until the next update.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Is anyone getting weird problems with the Gecko reactor? When I use the utility key it triggers an immediate meltdown.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Is the stat reset coming out with when they enable Act 1? I don't really want to get back into it until we get story mode enabled.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Anyone care to guess when the next update and progression reset is due to drop?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Which ships are best for farming lynx tokens? I find my LT income slowed down a lot once I started cutting up javelins.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

How do you separate the nanocarbon outer hull hatches from the inner aluminum cabin structures on salvage geckos?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

So has the patch made it much more difficult to pay off your debt?
Pre-patch it seemed trivial to chunk down your debt by the 10s of millions each ship and now it seems like you don’t get very much money in the grand scheme of things. I’m assuming the devs want you to think about the debt as permanent rather than something you can actually pay off?

Also now that work orders are gone lynx tokens are so frustrating to earn and theres no way to cheat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

If the game wants to depict a capitalist dystopia they have a lot of work to do.

In my opinion, because the setting is a video game "job sim" type arrangement it removes the player from the extreme discomfort, existential crisis and danger associated with difficult, easy to exploit jobs.

You're sitting in the comfort of your own home, eating food you enjoy, able do to whatever you want without restrictions. To you, dying in this game is of minimal consequence, you just come back and continue "as you". Now if you were really living in this setting you'd have to cope with the fact that the moment you went through the onboarding program, you were unceremoniously murdered and a clone has resumed living your life. You never have to reckon with the fact that a corporation now owns your DNA sequence and identity. Depending on your view of how clones work, the moment you got on that shuttle was the moment you died and ceased to exist... Someone, or something else resumed your life from that moment as if nothing happened to them. That already is a serious problem. The entire cloning program is a massive dystopian breach of personal liberty and every imaginable form of ethics you could think of. You had a choice between living in total squalor and disease or becoming property of Lynx as their personal indentured servant. These are serious problems with capitalism that you can't really feel or experience as anything more than inconsequential flavor text.

You're here to break up ships because it's "fun". You don't have to deal with weird oxygen that was doctored with cancerous or lung destroying chemicals. You don't have to worry about getting maimed and then the company kills you to get another clone to resume your life. The debt you're in is completely inconsequential and since you don't have any other physical or emotional needs beyond "playing the game" it doesn't matter that you get paid in company scrip to buy tools at the company store. Then there's the payout. The debt seems crippling at first but then you get generous rewards for playing the game.

The game is rewarding you generously for your scrapping as if you are an owner operator rather than a slave. It's possible that the money they get for your scrap is like 5x as much as what they pay you for it, but it doesn't change that the old capitalist bootstraps theory is "true" in this game. If you do work hard you can easily pay back the debt in like 80 game hours. Outside the dangers and the fact that your individual death is permanent despite the clones, working for Lynx seems like a REALLY good deal. If this was real life, you would get paid $20 per hour for your work or a few bucks per scrap that would barely scratch your debt. They'd keep changing the rules on your debt demanding lump sum payments you can barely meet and then penalizing you. They'd come up with Kafkaesque rules and regulations that a supervisor will selectively apply and you would get fined if you cut the cockpit before you cut the engine pay or outer hull panels for no other reason than "too bad, bitch". You'd NEVER get out of that debt.

But see, that doesn't make it a fun game. If you aren't getting rewarded for your gameplay efforts and it turns into an obscene grind nobody would play, especially if they actually physically experience the dangers and extreme discomforts of living in this world. How do you even know they allow enough oxygen in the living unit ventilators? They could keep you in a permanent state of semi-hypoxia because it saves them a few bucks on O2 and "too bad gently caress you".

At the end of the day, a lot of these job simulator games exist because many people think that a job driving trucks, scrapping ships or running a farm are genuinely fun and exciting lines of work and they'll happily spend hours doing it in a virtual world. But why aren't people rushing to become truck drivers right now? Or farmers?
Because in real life, starting from scratch as a private farmer requires insane amounts of capital to get going. Often even if you can grow something your product is going to be outcompeted by massive agricorps with govt ties who can sell the same product as you for pennies to the dollar. Many farmers get into serious debt, get constantly abused by companies like Monsanto who will sue you for infringement if a random seed from a neighboring farm blows onto your property and starts growing on your property. There are constant suicides and bankruptcies in the farming world and its especially prominent in developing countries where companies like Monsanto make enormous promises, that bankrupt people and leave them with nothing while they profit.

Then there's Eurotruck simulator. People have spent hundreds of hours trucking yet in real life there's a "shortage"... why? Because it loving sucks. You got customers and your own company riding your rear end to get poo poo delivered on time. You spend 4 hours not being paid for your work idling at the warehouse or port waiting to get loaded. In many cases when you show up to get a truck loaded, the customer expects you to personally open up the truck and do the loading yourself with no help what so ever. If they do do it for you, they do it on their own time and you're stuck waiting with no recourse or pay. Then when you get paid finally you deal with getting a pittance of like 8-12 cents per kilometer. Then your personal living costs are so high that you barely see any of that money as take home pay... You don't have to deal with any of the "bullshit" and stress associated with trucking in ETS. The game just... rewards you generously for your work and minimizes the amount of bullshit you deal with outside your immediate job description....

Guess what - THATS WHAT UNIONS ARE BUILT TO DO FOR YOU... Fair pay, specific rules about what your employer can and cannot make you do within a specified job description. If we still had powerful teamsters unions covering all the trucking, maybe more people would want to drive again. But as things stand you'd have to be stupid to be a truck driver now...

Basically because it's a video game and the goal is to entertain and keep you playing - you're exposed to an idyllic world where capitalism works well enough that even more abusive practices are easy to put up with because you don't personally experience them and the rewards the game gives you are so big that any talks of unionization etc seem pointless... If you could actually bootstrap yourself into a successful career and entrepreneurial life then capitalism would probably be an amazing system and we'd never need unions. But that's not what happens in real life.... In real life your costs are almost equivalent to your earnings so you're always barely breaking even and racking up debt for unexpected costs. You're never going anywhere and as a small business owner trying to compete in a world where all the capital and wealth is concentrated at the very tip top where the big players make all the rules you are destined to fail.

This is a lot of word to say that: It's a loving video game and all the reasons you'd want to unionize a job like this are not physically affecting you as the player. The rewards are too high and costs and bullshit factor are too low.